» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Worst Threat

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/14/05 at 11:23 pm

I say Global Warming, War/Nuclear, and Deforestation.

-FHF  ???

Subject: Re: Worst Threat

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/14/05 at 11:28 pm

global warming, nuclear war and an asteroid/comet hit. global warming and collisions with space junk are natural events. the global warming we are at the threshold of now has happened many times in the past. so are meteor collisions. both events can alter humanity no war or economic disaster can. of coarse nuclear war is a no-brainer and it's still a viable threat considering the amount of nukes the chinese and many other hostile nations have.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/14/05 at 11:30 pm

Terrorism as a threat is overrated.  I know I sound like a cold b*stard for saying this, but terrorist attacks, even 9-11, are simply a drop in the bucket when it comes to Armageddon.  Only a nuke to the Bay Area or NYC could do anything close to Armageddon. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/14/05 at 11:36 pm

Global Warming
Terrorism
Nuclear War

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/15/05 at 12:36 am

I voted God b/c he's wrath is one to truly fear. However, I also voted for Global Warning and Terrorism.

Tanya

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/15/05 at 2:45 am

Terrorism as a threat is overrated.  I know I sound like a cold b*stard for saying this, but terrorist attacks, even 9-11, are simply a drop in the bucket when it comes to Armageddon.  Only a nuke to the Bay Area or NYC could do anything close to Armageddon. 

Global Warming
Deforestation
Wars
I agree with you.  Terrorism is a real threat, but it's nothing compared to ecological destruction.  To me, the real terrorism comes fromt he military-petroleum-industrial complex and the billionaire families who control it.  This elite group both frustrates efforts to conserve our ecology and they are the ones for whom both soldiers and civilians are now dying in the Middle East.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/15/05 at 8:19 am

Terrorism, War and Criminals.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/15/05 at 10:59 am

Terrorism (Islamic fascists,) criminals, and war.

Written By: Bobby on 02/15/05 at 11:10 am

I went for global warming, war/nuclear and deforestation.

Written By: Leo Jay on 02/15/05 at 11:32 am

Terrorism, Criminality, Deforestation, Global Warming and War human beings have at least some degree of control over (whether we're willing to or not is another issue).

But as far as Volcanoes, Asteroids, and other natural disasters --  we're screwed.    ;)

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/15/05 at 3:39 pm

There should be an "other" category.

Both global warming and deforestation are very real, HUMAN CAUSED threats.  Forests, like the Amazon rain forest, creat the oxigen we breath, and global warming, if not checked and rolled back, will cause massive climate changes.  No more Vermont maple syrup, cocanuts and sugar cane instead.

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/15/05 at 3:45 pm

Ya know Yellowstone is essentially a big ass Volcano.

That'll be an interesting one.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/15/05 at 4:27 pm

creat the oxigen we breath,

I think I remember hearing somewhere that most of the world's oxygen supply comes from the ocean.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/15/05 at 4:34 pm

another threat that demands attention is over population. how are we going to face this future calamity if we don't take measures today. the only way to combat over population requires drastic means that no sane person would address (but would behind closed doors).

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/15/05 at 4:38 pm

That's very true.

Here in Britain there are over 60 million people and the population is escalating fast. House prices have soared because there just aren't enough homes and the standard of living has come down.

Compare that to around 280 Million in the U.S

Remember Britain is not even the size of Illinois.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/15/05 at 8:11 pm

Ya know Yellowstone is essentially a big a** Volcano.

That'll be an interesting one.

Pleasant thought...I live pretty close to Yellowstone.

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/16/05 at 12:32 am

At least you aren't Bangladesh, Alcholica.  :D They have 130 million people in a country SMALLER than the U.S. state of Louisiana.

Anyway, I put Global Warming, Terrorism, and God.

Written By: Powerslave on 02/16/05 at 3:39 am

As much as wars and terrorism could have a significant impact on large areas, climate change is the biggest threat to survival on a global scale. Wars and terrorism affect relatively small areas for fairly short periods; climate change affects the entire world and is difficult and takes a long time to reverse. There is evidence to suggest that current global warming levels have actually slowed the onset of a future Ice Age, which is good news in its own way, but increased levels will eventually make the planet uninhabitable. GWB was correct in saying that it is the oceans which help replenish the world's oxygen, but they don't do much to help reduce the amount of carbon dioxide in the air. It is the world's forests which reduce the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Even if deforestation ended immediately, it would still take centuries for forest levels to be restored to an adequate level to cope with the levels of carbon dioxide that are being pumped into the air. While deforestation and carbon pollution continues to increase, the temperature of the ocean also increases, reducing its capacity to regulate global temperature; continental ice melts in vast amounts, raising sea levels and causing flooding of low-level coastal areas. The increase in temperature would completely wipe out cold weather environments and turn most of Europe, Canada, Russia and large areas of the northern United States into complete wastelands. Equatorial areas would be completely unliveable because the temperature would be too extreme. It's possible that a nuclear war could cause this, if enough bombs were dropped, but at the current level of carbon emission we don't need to wait for a war to do it.
The other major threat is celestial impact. If a large asteroid or comet hit the earth, the first result would be impact damage (a massive crater, total and immediate annihilation of anything at ground zero and for anything up to several hundred square miles in all directions, followed by an enormous shockwave worse than the largest atomic bomb conceivable). If it hit land, the damage would be bad enough. If it hit the ocean, it would be far worse, because the shockwave would travel more easily and further, creating tsunamis that would make the South Asian wave look like a ripple. After that, it would create what is known as an "impact winter", which is the same as a nuclear winter, but hundreds of times worse.

Well, you did ask. :)

Written By: jaytee on 02/16/05 at 7:51 am

Global Warming
Deforestation

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/16/05 at 7:55 am

Beautiful  ;D

A nuke to anyone's city would resemble close to armageddon  ::)

There is life outside NYC or SF  ;)

Written By: Paul on 02/16/05 at 8:02 am

There is life outside NYC or SF  ;)

Good Lord, there is?!!

I'm quite convinced that nature (in some way) will have the last laugh...

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/16/05 at 8:04 am

Good Lord, there is?!!

I often wonder Paul, ya know  :o ;)

Written By: ros on 02/16/05 at 8:08 am

I often wonder Paul, ya know  :o ;)

JUst because we weeren't born that way  dosen't mean that we dont count ;) :) :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/16/05 at 9:50 am

I don't know why your all worried. George Bush has said man will go to Mars.. and i believe him  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/16/05 at 10:25 am

My vote goes to Deforestation and Global Warming (which to me goes hand in hand). With the Rain Forests being depleted, global warming in on the rise-not mention the fact that cars and industry add to it.

My third choice went for wars-not necessary nuclear wars, which in this day and age is a great possibility. The fact that CERTAIN heads of state (yes, that is plural-not singular) are bent on destroying each other and we will just be "collateral damage".

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/16/05 at 3:18 pm

I think I remember hearing somewhere that most of the world's oxygen supply comes from the ocean.

Oxygen is a bi-product of photsynthesis, so to the extent that ocean plants photosynthesis they do creat oxyen, but the aquaflora that does so is very limited, mostly by depth - plants need sunlight to photosynthesis, those that don't get it (in deep water) rely on other chemical reactions.  So most of our oxygen comes from terrestrial plants, and much of that from the tropics, where plants photosynthesis all year round.  The oceans do absorb vast quantities of carbon from the atmosphere, as do plants, so deforestation also contributes to global warming.  Probably the most  severe effect of global warming will be to alter ocean currents, like more "El Ninos and La Ninas", pushing both the Humbolt (south Pacific) current and the Gulf Stream further off shore.  Ocean currents create wheather patterns.

Written By: Tam on 02/17/05 at 4:17 pm

God

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/17/05 at 4:32 pm

God

??God?? Becaused she's pissed?

Written By: ros on 02/18/05 at 11:08 pm

God

Yes I think so too...............and so does history

Written By: UKVisitor on 02/18/05 at 11:15 pm

I wanted to vote for the Republican party *sigh* but there wasn't a choice  ;)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/18/05 at 11:20 pm

I'm not going to get into this in this thread, but what do you know about the republican party?  Obviously the American people like them.

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/18/05 at 11:23 pm

That's funny, I wanted to vote for the Democratic Party (and stupidity, but they might as well go hand in hand ;D.)

I picked terrorism, deforestation, and abortion: all man-made. I don't think of God as a threat, but a reaffirmation, of humanity. He will destroy only the evil and disobedient His followers will be rewarded. Who am I to judge?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/18/05 at 11:25 pm

I voted for God on the poll above, but I think it was for a different reason then some others here.

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/18/05 at 11:32 pm

I voted for God on the poll above, but I think it was for a different reason then some others here.

What reason?  ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/18/05 at 11:52 pm

Don't you fret about that now, He will be frying us liberal Massachetts boys first, so you'll have time to shoot darts for an hour AND redeem yourselves to the Lord afore He gets down to Dixie!

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/18/05 at 11:54 pm

Don't you fret about that now, He will be frying us liberal Massachetts boys first, so you'll have time to shoot darts for an hour AND redeem yourselves to the Lord afore He gets down to Dixie!

Look away, look away, look away!  ;D

Written By: UKVisitor on 02/18/05 at 11:57 pm

Hey GW - the American people like lots of things that are bad for them and for the rest of us involuntary americans  ;) Let's face it, since the russkies went third world you guys have had the monopoly on wiping out the world so, guess what, we're kinda interested in what happens in your country especially when our own leaderine Herr Blair is giving your leader a monica lewinsky every time they meet.

So in answer to your question, what do I know about the Republicans, enough to know that I disagree with everything they stand for which equates to unliateral greed and corporate self interest and the complete and utter disregard for the well-being of the general population of the USA (i.e. those below the $100,000 a year mark). Considering the fact that you have a political party in power that believes that the hour of God's Armageddon is almost at hand and furthermore has the power to help God in his work... well, I guess those of us outside the USA have become mighty interested as of late in the workings of said Republican party and having now scratched below the surface I can only say it gets more scary the more you know about them.

My question is, what do the american people really know about the Republican party?

Written By: goodsin on 02/19/05 at 11:38 am

Hey GW - the American people like lots of things that are bad for them and for the rest of us involuntary americans  ;) Let's face it, since the russkies went third world you guys have had the monopoly on wiping out the world so, guess what, we're kinda interested in what happens in your country especially when our own leaderine Herr Blair is giving your leader a monica lewinsky every time they meet.

So in answer to your question, what do I know about the Republicans, enough to know that I disagree with everything they stand for which equates to unliateral greed and corporate self interest and the complete and utter disregard for the well-being of the general population of the USA (i.e. those below the $100,000 a year mark). Considering the fact that you have a political party in power that believes that the hour of God's Armageddon is almost at hand and furthermore has the power to help God in his work... well, I guess those of us outside the USA have become mighty interested as of late in the workings of said Republican party and having now scratched below the surface I can only say it gets more scary the more you know about them.

My question is, what do the american people really know about the Republican party?

Wow, just to make it clear, Goodsin is not the same person as UK visitor!- it has to be said though, that some of us outside the US do take an (in my case disgusted) interest in the doings of Bush & his goons, as we feel at some point soon, we are going to get dragged into another of his hare-brained schemes to make himself look like the big man. >:(

GWBush2004 seems like he's quite well informed on Republican issues, in exactly the fashion his namesake requires. Most of the sources he quotes from seem to be very biased right-wing propaganda machines, which make his posts even scarier, in my eyes. If this sort of brainwashing (can something that makes you feel so dirty be called washing?) takes place all the time in the US, then there is indeed no hope for the rest of the world. I'd quite gladly do without the spread of Bush's "Freedom" (i.e. freedom for the US to invade wherever they want & take whatever they like), but have noticed GWBush2004 frequently states he is "against globalization"- perhaps this is one opinion he holds which is out-of-line with the Dumb One's Reichspolitik, as Bush appears to want himself to be the sole world power. I think Bush is the major threat to world peace & security- if Armageddon is gonna come from anywhere, Georgie boy will be the one to bring it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/19/05 at 11:57 am

http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/1074.gif

Cat

Written By: goodsin on 02/19/05 at 12:14 pm

Cat

Hey Cat, what does this emoticon signify? Do you think, as I do, that UK Visitor's post was quite erudite? (If a bit aggressive..)

Written By: UKVisitor on 02/19/05 at 1:00 pm

Sorry if i came over a bit agressive - not my intention at all. It's just when I get told to butt out of American politics when I feel inexorably dragged into the whole mess that I feel I need to add to the rational clamour for sanity.

Just because I dislike the political direction that the USA has taken as of late does not mean I am anti-american or that I dislike the american people and their country. I just think that America has such a potential to be a great influence for progress and good in the world that I despair when I see medieval thinking driving its society forward. America has brought so much fresh political thought, art, music and intelligence to the world since 1776 that it seems unbelievable that through the actions of so few and the inactions of so many that it has now become the guy in the black hat in the cowboy movie.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/19/05 at 1:12 pm

Hey Cat, what does this emoticon signify? Do you think, as I do, that UK Visitor's post was quite erudite? (If a bit aggressive..)

I was applauding the post. I think it was well said.

Cat

Written By: philbo on 02/19/05 at 2:47 pm

Just because I dislike the political direction that the USA has taken as of late does not mean I am anti-american or that I dislike the american people and their country. I just think that America has such a potential to be a great influence for progress and good in the world that I despair when I see medieval thinking driving its society forward. America has brought so much fresh political thought, art, music and intelligence to the world since 1776 that it seems unbelievable that through the actions of so few and the inactions of so many that it has now become the guy in the black hat in the cowboy movie.

...to quote Cat:

That's pretty much how I feel, too.

I was in the man-made environmental disaster trio in the poll: Global Warming, Deforestation and War/Nuclear - the impact of terrorism in comparison is utterly trivial.  But it's obviously not where the money goes...

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/19/05 at 2:49 pm

I was in the man-made environmental disaster trio in the poll: Global Warming, Deforestation and War/Nuclear - the impact of terrorism in comparison is utterly trivial. But it's obviously not where the money goes...

We wouldn't be scared enough if there was.. 'THE WAR ON GREEDY PENSION SUCKING INDUSTRIALISTS!'

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/19/05 at 4:55 pm

Look away, look away, look away!  ;D

Dixie land.

There is a siloly joke.  A guy asks God "what's 10,000 years to you?"
God: "a minute".

Guy "Whats a million dollars to you?"

God "A penny".

Guy, "can I have a penny?"

God " in a minute".

The sins of New England in perpetuating the slave trade are well known, but the sin of slavery itself, perpetuated long after the trade was abolished, is undisputable.  If there is a redemption day, the south will fall again.

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/19/05 at 4:59 pm

Dixie land.

There is a siloly joke.  A guy asks God "what's 10,000 years to you?"
God: "a minute".

Guy "Whats a million dollars to you?"

God "A penny".

Guy, "can I have a penny?"

God " in a minute".

The sins of New England in perpetuating the slave trade are well known, but the sin of slavery itself, perpetuated long after the trade was abolished, is undisputable.  If there is a redemption day, the south will fall again.

We were wrong on the issue of slavery, among oher things. But, there was to a certain extent some justifiable grievances(back in the 1800s). And we may have been wrong about slavery, but the North's scorched Earth campaign and the subsequent 're-construction" that occured(a 10 year+ military occupation that saw many wealthy northerners settle into the south as the economy collapsed, and these occupying troops frequently disrespected the locals) were wrong too,

So my assesment is everyone was wrong. The South had some real grievances, but were wrong on slavery. The North was right in being opposed to slavery and wanting to keep the Union together, but they were wrong with how they conducted much of the war and the re-construction.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/19/05 at 5:08 pm

We were wrong on the issue of slavery, among oher things. But, there was to a certain extent some justifiable grievances(back in the 1800s). And we may have been wrong about slavery, but the North's scorched Earth campaign and the subsequent 're-construction" that occured(a 10 year+ military occupation that saw many wealthy northerners settle into the south as the economy collapsed, and these occupying troops frequently disrespected the locals) were wrong too,

So my assesment is everyone was wrong. The South had some real grievances, but were wrong on slavery. The North was right in being opposed to slavery and wanting to keep the Union together, but they were wrong with how they conducted much of the war and the re-construction.

Yeah, we could debate these questions ad infinitum, as historians do, and find (or not) common ground (maybe Chucky sould start an "historical controversy" area).  And I agree that there is m,uch to be said for the points you bring up.  My intent, however, was, in part, in reference to another poster who claimed that those who commit treason should be shot, and to Max's sarcasm re God punishing "liberal New England" before getting to Dixie.  It was partly offered in jest.

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/19/05 at 5:11 pm

Yeah, we could debate these questions ad infinitum, as historians do, and find (or not) common ground (maybe Chucky sould start an "historical controversy" area).  And I agree that there is m,uch to be said for the points you bring up.  My intent, however, was, in part, in reference to another poster who claimed that those who commit treason should be shot, and to Max's sarcasm re God punishing "liberal New England" before getting to Dixie.  It was partly offered in jest.

Ah, I understand. That is quite a good point too. A lot of Southern Conservatives are big flag wavers and like to throw around the term "America-hater" yet they are also "South will rise again" types. Which is treasonous. A bit of a contradiction, no?

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/19/05 at 5:32 pm

I'd say terrorism, it is a very big threat around the world, especially in the middle east, war/ nuclear, and Global Warming.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/19/05 at 5:56 pm

The people who doubt terrorism now, in my opinion, won't doubt it a few decades from now.

There was a report from some big American company (cannot for the life of me find it, just heard it on the Neal Boortz radio show.)  The report said over the next decade America will continue to be the world's only economic and military superpower, Russia will decline, China will decline, Japan will rise, and the European Union will fall apart.

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/19/05 at 8:31 pm

The people who doubt terrorism now, in my opinion, won't doubt it a few decades from now.

There was a report from some big American company (cannot for the life of me find it, just heard it on the Neal Boortz radio show.)  The report said over the next decade America will continue to be the world's only economic and military superpower, Russia will decline, China will decline, Japan will rise, and the European Union will fall apart.

I can agree with most of that assesment except China declining. I have no reason to believe that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/05 at 8:31 pm

But of course some big American company said that on the Neal Boortz show, that's what the Neal Boortz show is for--big business badmouthing the rest of the world to the little guy.

I don't doubt America's ability to perpetually till the field of terrorism, just like Israel.

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/19/05 at 8:50 pm

But of course some big American company said that on the Neal Boortz show, that's what the Neal Boortz show is for--big business badmouthing the rest of the world to the little guy.

I don't doubt America's ability to perpetually till the field of terrorism, just like Israel.

Let us not forget what country established itself by eradicating over 850,000 people from their home and lands, whose army was originally started from a terrorist organization that among other things bombed the British consulate in Rome, and the King David hotel in Israel. Let us not forget what Middle Eastern country actually has undeclared nuclear weapons, is in violation of 70+ U.N. Security council resolutions, and routinely carries out assasinations in other soveriegn countries, a tactic called "exporting terrorism" that ended up getting Libya bombed back in the 80s. ;)

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 02/19/05 at 9:28 pm

Whoever started this topic I'm not exactly sure what they meant by God being a threat but I put that as one because I believe He is all-powerful and He can take your life anytime he wants and he has the power to destroy this world.

Anyway, my other 2 were war/nuclear and terrorism.

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/19/05 at 10:06 pm

Whoever started this topic I'm not exactly sure what they meant by God being a threat but I put that as one because I believe He is all-powerful and He can take your life anytime he wants and he has the power to destroy this world.

Anyway, my other 2 were war/nuclear and terrorism.

I think they meant it in the sense that the followers of this idea the world over are a threat to civilization. Whether it be fundies in the U.S. bombing abortion clinics, and manipulating our government, or Hindu nationalists starting riots in India, or extremist Muslims bombing innocent civilians.

Written By: UKVisitor on 02/20/05 at 1:35 am

Look guys, many here in Britain have frankly been amazed at the reaction in the USA to this 'new' threat of terrorism. Like, guys, we've been living with it for years over here and let me tell ya, while you have 110% of my sympathy for that terrible day in September 2001 where 2,976 of your countrymen and women died,  did you know that one of the offices in the WTC was quite ironically a money-laundering front for NORAID who provide funding to the provisional IRA over here in the UK who have a small reputation for terrorisim.

Between 1969 and 2001 3,523 people - men, women and children - have died in the troubles in the UK and Ireland. Much of the money to support this organisation was gathered from the good Irish-American population. Never have we suggested for one minute that we should bomb Boston or New York as would be the logical process of thought if we were to follow the premise behind the various responses the USA took following 9/11.

My point is that terrorism is a 'ghost' that has been hoisted to replace the threat of communism because as George Orwell prophetcially pointed out in 1984, if you want to keep a populace agreeable to the desires of government you must distract them with proto-threats to stop them realising or worrying about the real problems and issues. Militarism can only survive and be supported if you have a bogey-man to fight against and I'm sorry but I've stopped sucking my thiumb, ain't afraid of the dark but I know that the real monsters come out in the daylight and look disturbingly respectable.

Terrorism is not going to destroy America or any other country - it didn't destroy Britain and we lived with it for decades. I'd be more worried about the threat of future Timothy McVeighs than or Osama Bin-an-Gone.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/20/05 at 1:39 am

Look guys, many here in Britain have frankly been amazed at the reaction in the USA to this 'new' threat of terrorism. Like, guys, we've been living with it for years over here and let me tell ya, while you have 110% of my sympathy for that terrible day in September 2001 where 2,976 of your countrymen and women died,  did you know that one of the offices in the WTC was quite ironically a money-laundering front for NORAID who provide funding to the provisional IRA over here in the UK who have a small reputation for terrorisim.

Between 1969 and 2001 3,523 people - men, women and children - have died in the troubles in the UK and Ireland. Much of the money to support this organisation was gathered from the good Irish-American population. Never have we suggested for one minute that we should bomb Boston or New York as would be the logical process of thought if we were to follow the premise behind the various responses the USA took following 9/11.

My point is that terrorism is a 'ghost' that has been hoisted to replace the threat of communism because as George Orwell prophetcially pointed out in 1984, if you want to keep a populace agreeable to the desires of government you must distract them with proto-threats to stop them realising or worrying about the real problems and issues. Militarism can only survive and be supported if you have a bogey-man to fight against and I'm sorry but I've stopped sucking my thiumb, ain't afraid of the dark but I know that the real monsters come out in the daylight and look disturbingly respectable.

Terrorism is not going to destroy America or any other country - it didn't destroy Britain and we lived with it for decades. I'd be more worried about the threat of future Timothy McVeighs than or Osama Bin-an-Gone.

Here, here!
On 9/11 one of the things I was thinking was, "Now Americans know some of what most other nations know."

Written By: philbo on 02/20/05 at 4:35 pm

Look guys, many here in Britain have frankly been amazed at the reaction in the USA to this 'new' threat of terrorism.

WHS.

Nicely put, UKVis.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 4:40 pm

I agree.  Terrorism, while, well, terrifying, is overrated as a threat.  Unless they go nuclear, but that would be more like War.  I regret not including overpopulation.  Earth is only designed for about half a billion people.

Written By: philbo on 02/20/05 at 4:41 pm

Earth is only designed for about half a billion people.

"designed"???

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 4:45 pm

"designed"???

While I think it's likely there's a "God" of some sort, I didn't imply anything religious.  I'm just saying much more than that the Earth couldn't support forever.

Written By: philbo on 02/20/05 at 5:42 pm

I was being a trifle facetious... but there is a serious point underlying it: if the Earth really was designed, then how come we're 10x over the design spec?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 5:46 pm

I was being a trifle facetious... but there is a serious point underlying it: if the Earth really was designed, then how come we're 10x over the design spec?

Religion.  Hinduism, Christianity, Judaism, Islam, they all support reproducing like crazy because they love "family".  BS.  Sometimes I think Religion was invented by some a-holes who hated man and the Earth and wanted to f*cking kill us all.  >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/20/05 at 6:17 pm

Religion.  Hinduism, Christianity, Judaism, Islam, they all support reproducing like crazy because they love "family".  BS.  Sometimes I think Religion was invented by some a-holes who hated man and the Earth and wanted to f*cking kill us all.  >:(

Makes you wonder sometimes, don't it?
::)
The spiritual founders of the major religions had pretty good intentions, but it's the the church and the clerics that fork it all up!

Written By: goodsin on 02/21/05 at 12:40 pm

Cor, I'm going to give up posting on here. UK Vis seems to say what I want to say, but with a better level of knowledge & elucidation! As regards his earlier post, I referred to it as aggressive, but I think 'forthright' was probably a better word...

Written By: UKVisitor on 02/24/05 at 10:06 pm

Hi Goodsin - thanks for the kind words. I must have had too much coffee that night. I'm not normally that verbose  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...