» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Are Animals Equal to People?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/18/05 at 1:08 am

I say depends on the animal.  Mammals and birds, yes, reptiles, not really.  Fish and insects?  Absolutely not.

Subject: Re: Are Animals Equal to People?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/18/05 at 1:16 am

Are Animals Equal to People?

No.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/18/05 at 3:08 am

It depends how you mean "equal."
Only man is known to have the power of reason....and only man has knowingly threatened his own existence.
It's not earthworms, sparrows, foxes, or sharks who are trashing the place.

I'm not about to defend or dismiss the "equal" charge.
:-\\

I still dine on the flesh of other animals.  Better them than me.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/18/05 at 8:17 am

Not voting - but observation is that there are many people that I deal with from time to time that seem to have less intellect than some animals  ::)

At least, that they use.....  :-\\

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/18/05 at 9:12 am

no. the day a dog comes up to me and says, "hey buddy, lets go for a beer" then i'll treat them as equals.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/18/05 at 9:55 am

no. the day a dog comes up to me and says, "hey buddy, lets go for a beer" then i'll treat them as equals.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." 
        Mark Twain 

Written By: Leo Jay on 02/18/05 at 11:19 am

No, animals generally taste much better than people.

Written By: Leo Jay on 02/18/05 at 11:33 am

Maybe you aren't tasting the right parts ;)

But Crazymom, I don't think you and I have quite the same dietary tastes...
not that they're anything wrong with that.  ;)

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/18/05 at 12:36 pm

No, Animals are not equal to people. But that doesn't mean we don't respect animals and treat them with decency.

Written By: Leo Jay on 02/18/05 at 12:48 pm

No, Animals are not equal to people. But that doesn't mean we don't respect animals and treat them with decency.

Sure, but the whole challenge is to define 'decent treatment' as it should apply to animals.  To some, 'decent' means not eating them at all; to some it's killing them 'humanely' (whatever that means); to some, it's giving them the right to vote and own property...

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/18/05 at 3:22 pm

"I love animals...they're delicious." -Ted Nugent.

Written By: pimpinsteelersfan on 02/18/05 at 3:41 pm

You've got to be kidding.

Written By: pimpinsteelersfan on 02/18/05 at 3:43 pm

Animals are not equal to humans.

NOTHING IS!

Written By: EthanM on 02/18/05 at 3:49 pm

Aren't humans a type of animal anyway? People are certainly in a category apart from most other animals - we are more intelligent as far as we know but most animals seem to need a lot less to bee happy that humans do.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/18/05 at 3:52 pm

No! BTW, to the people, who insist on equating their pets (especially dogs) to having children. Get a grip!! They are not kids! Not for once have I left a bowl of water and food on the floor for my son, left him in the yard/garage/whatever as I went shopping, when he gets sick I (or my hubby) has to use a sick or personal day to take care of him, nor did I ever get him neutered! Either have children or understand that they are pets, not children.

Tanya

Written By: pimpinsteelersfan on 02/18/05 at 4:13 pm

Aren't humans a type of animal anyway? People are certainly in a category apart from most other animals - we are more intelligent as far as we know but most animals seem to need a lot less to bee happy that humans do.

Humans are mammals.  Just like some animals.  Not all.  There are none created like us.

Written By: EthanM on 02/18/05 at 4:19 pm

Humans are mammals.  Just like some animals.  Not all.  There are none created like us.

yeah, there's nothing exactly like a starfish (or sea star if you want to be technically accurate) either but thatt doesn't make starfish great.

Written By: AL-B on 02/18/05 at 4:26 pm

Yeah. Sure. And we should give them the right to vote, while we're at it. ::)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/18/05 at 4:36 pm

It looks like I've insulted some people.  :-[  I guess I should clarify.

I don't think animals should have the same "rights" as humans because

1.  Not all people believe they're sentient and there isn't any proof they are (although when you think about it how do you know other people are either?  hmmmm)

2. They can't make a difference in their world any more than "doing their part".

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/18/05 at 4:57 pm

"The bee, in the construction of her cells, buts many an architect to shame, but what sperates the best bee from the worst architect is that the arcitect raised his structure in his imagination before he creates it in reality".  Care to guess who said this?

I had to say that people and animals are "equal" for a number of reasons.  First, we are animals, which makes the question nonsensical.  Second, we are part of the web of interdependant life, as are animals.  The fact that we are at the top of the food chain doesn't lessen that interdependance, and may amplify it.  Third, to take a biblical slant, we were given "dominion" over the plants and animals, does that not imply stewardship rather than destruction? 

Seems to me that to see ourselves as somehow apart from the laws of nature because we conceptualize while other creature act on instinct is the ultimate act of hubris (Another big word, I hope not to big). 

And by the way, we are having steak for dinner.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/18/05 at 8:42 pm

No.

Ever get to keep a dog or cat? I am 'owned' by a sweet Calico cat named Tika....yes,she has feelings..she KNOWS when I am in pain,either physical or emotional,and in her own GENTLE way,is like the ideal therapist(meaning one who listens without trying to tell me how I should 'open up','work the program' or pressuring one to "be the best you can be" like a "Worship me I am your savior I happen to have a PH.D I am your therapist you have to play by my rules so I can tell Medicaid I am making you all nice and well"...a cat listens WITHOUT bias and 'book-learning' and expecting miracles...She is also somewhat zany sometimes,she actually brings out JOY and HAPPINESS when I am feeling down....she has taught me that true love and caring does not always have EXPECTATIONS and CONDITIONS,something we humans tend to link with 'love'..

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/18/05 at 9:09 pm

Ever get to keep a dog or cat? I am 'owned' by a sweet Calico cat named Tika....yes,she has feelings..she KNOWS when I am in pain,either physical or emotional,and in her own GENTLE way,is like the ideal therapist(meaning one who listens without trying to tell me how I should 'open up','work the program' or pressuring one to "be the best you can be" like a "Worship me I am your savior I happen to have a PH.D I am your therapist you have to play by my rules so I can tell Medicaid I am making you all nice and well"...a cat listens WITHOUT bias and 'book-learning' and expecting miracles...She is also somewhat zany sometimes,she actually brings out JOY and HAPPINESS when I am feeling down....she has taught me that true love and caring does not always have EXPECTATIONS and CONDITIONS,something we humans tend to link with 'love'..

Is Tika a stray? Sounds like an awesome cat :)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/19/05 at 12:07 am

Is Tika a stray? Sounds like an awesome cat :)
I adopted Tika from a local shelter almost seven years ago..

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/19/05 at 12:43 am

I adopted Tika from a local shelter almost seven years ago..

Nice cat :) 

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/19/05 at 1:43 am

Its comments like this that make me really wish we had an "Ignore list" feature on these forums..

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/19/05 at 1:44 am

There are lots of animals that use sexual reproduction, infact, nearly all animals use sexual(rather than asexual reproduction) reproduction. Take a biology class.

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/19/05 at 1:45 am

Hrm, you know what, I better stear clear of this thread because its exactly the type of thread that attracts the type of ignorant remarks which lead me into a foaming frenzy.  ;D

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/19/05 at 10:29 am

Its comments like this that make me really wish we had an "Ignore list" feature on these forums..

i'm wondering how i offended you with my comment, then it occured to me your one of those animal right freaks. i mean, what fudgeing loser would put an animal over a human.

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/19/05 at 4:39 pm

i'm wondering how i offended you with my comment, then it occured to me your one of those animal right freaks. i mean, what flippin' loser would put an animal over a human.

First of all, it is "You're", not your. Learn basic English.

Moving on, your comment offended me because it was callous. I'm not an "animal rights freak"(isn't it nice when we can throw around cliche generalities?), I don't place animals OVER humans. You however, seemed to display a complete and total lack of respect for other types of life with your unneeded comment.

Now if you will excuse me, I must go prepare dinner. And if you are wondering, we will be having beef tacos.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/19/05 at 4:49 pm

First of all, it is "You're", not your. Learn basic English.

Moving on, your comment offended me because it was callous. I'm not an "animal rights freak"(isn't it nice when we can throw around cliche generalities?), I don't place animals OVER humans. You however, seemed to display a complete and total lack of respect for other types of life with your unneeded comment.

Now if you will excuse me, I must go prepare dinner. And if you are wondering, we will be having beef tacos.

you're right, i do have a lack of respect and i have a profound hatred for most things. by the way, i'm a high school drop out, so that should make you feel better that your smarter than me...i don't take shit from self-rightous little twats like you, boy. pussies ignore, men confront.

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/19/05 at 4:51 pm

you're right, i do have a lack of respect and i have a profound hatred for most things. by the way, i'm a high school drop out, so that should make you feel better that your smarter than me...i don't take shit from self-rightous little twats like you, boy. pussies ignore, men confront.

Oh please.  ::)

You're so e-tough, I'm quaking in my boots.

Lets not turn this thread into a flame war, and leave this argument alone. Ok?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/19/05 at 4:52 pm

Oh please.  ::)

You're so e-tough, I'm quaking in my boots.

Lets not turn this thread into a flame war, and leave this argument alone. Ok?

ok...*gives ElDuderino a kiss, slips tongue, grabs a@@*... ;)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/19/05 at 4:57 pm

While I think it's pretty obvious animals have feelings, whether they're equal to people is much a question of opinion and VERY controversial.  I've always thought Christianity was as much about glorifying Man as it is about glorifying God.  But that's only my opinion.

-FHF  ;)

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/19/05 at 5:03 pm

While I think it's pretty obvious animals have feelings, whether they're equal to people is much a question of opinion and VERY controversial.  I've always thought Christianity was as much about glorifying Man as it is about glorifying God.  But that's only my opinion.

-FHF  ;)

Bingo.

All that stuff about creating man "in his image". I agree with Don Carlos's take that yes, we are above in the sense we're at the top of the food chain, but that only increases our interdependence on other animals and the enviroment. We too are animals(at least biologically speaking). Also, to add something to the discussion, I like the Native American view. Which is that we should respect and treat animals as humanely as possible, because we depend upon them for survival.

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/19/05 at 5:04 pm

ok...*gives ElDuderino a kiss, slips tongue, grabs a@@*... ;)

Um, I'm sorry if you got the wrong idea but I am straight.  :o

;D

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/19/05 at 5:08 pm

Um, I'm sorry if you got the wrong idea but I am straight.  :o

;D

woops, i'm not. oh well... :-[ ;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/19/05 at 5:19 pm

This is gratutious crap.  "smart" and "educated" are 2 different thing.  I know lots of smart people who are not educated.  What makes them smart is that they are willing to learn.  But, I would suggest that those, educated or not, who stoop to the name calling you have engages in not only are demonstrating their ignorance, but reveling in it.  But to use your own language, I would say that those who refuse to confront ideas, facts, issues, are the "pussies" (a sexist term), and "men" who confront out of ignorance are not "macho" but simply j..ks.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/19/05 at 5:26 pm

This is gratutious crap.  "smart" and "educated" are 2 different thing.  I know lots of smart people who are not educated.  What makes them smart is that they are willing to learn.  But, I would suggest that those, educated or not, who stoop to the name calling you have engages in not only are demonstrating their ignorance, but reveling in it.  But to use your own language, I would say that those who refuse to confront ideas, facts, issues, are the "pussies" (a sexist term), and "men" who confront out of ignorance are not "macho" but simply j..ks.

hey, i'm cool with elduderino. i got pissy with his remark saying that i was ignorant over my intial remark concerning the dog, i lost my cool and i lashed out. i apologize. as to my language, i can't help that. i come from a working class town where we all talk like that, even in jest.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/20/05 at 5:36 am

Tika is not 'just an animal' to me...there's true friendship there. Cats have some of the same qualities humans have...they will even tell you if they don't like something...that's called having likes and dislikes...And yes,they have a sense of humor,some cats even pull pranks(my first cat, Sylvester,would carry my socks all around the apartment and watch me get frustrated trying to find them...one time he took my watch and carried it from the kitchen to my room....Good thing that he did coz I would have spilled soda on it had it still been lying there!)

Check for new replies or respond here...