» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Reports of Air America's death have been greatly exagerated...

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/18/05 at 3:16 pm

Air America has gone from a low point of three stations to their current status, being in 45 markets (with this week's additions of Washington, D.C., Detroit, and Cincinnati) and having gained support of Clear Channel Communications

http://online.wsj.com/public/article_print/0,,SB110616841893830479,00.html

I don't listen to talk radio.. so I don't care either way, but I still think it's funny to see the right wing proved wrong again.

Subject: Re: Reports of Air America's death have been greatly exagerated...

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/18/05 at 5:49 pm

Yeah, there was an article in my local paper about this today.  Just goes to show that as far as these corporations go, make a buck any way you can.  I guess that's something.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/18/05 at 6:01 pm

Yep, conservatives nationwide have been waiting with baited breath to jeer at the demise of
Air America.  There's no guarantee it won't ultimately fail, but the conservatives are definitely going to have to wait longer than I thought!
:)

Written By: Mushroom on 10/19/06 at 1:45 pm

Yep, conservatives nationwide have been waiting with baited breath to jeer at the demise of
Air America.  There's no guarantee it won't ultimately fail, but the conservatives are definitely going to have to wait longer than I thought!

Yea, just over a year and a half.

AA filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy on 13 October.  They declaired $4 million in assets, and $20 million in liabilities.

Among the creditors are Al Franken ($360k) and Rob Glaser ($9.8 million).

I guess people simply did not want to listen to a radio station where the message always seemed to be "how miserable you really are", and "how poor you really are".

Written By: velvetoneo on 10/19/06 at 3:46 pm

Something has to be uplifting to succeed. The left needs to figure out a way of being uplifting to get America back.

Written By: Mushroom on 10/19/06 at 5:13 pm

Something has to be uplifting to succeed. The left needs to figure out a way of being uplifting to get America back.

I do not blame the failure on "the left".  Instead, it is the message that the "spokesholes" were trying to cram down everybodies throats.  And it is the same thing I am hearing now.

"Oh, the economy is horrible."  "Your children are going to die."  "You will be eating Alpo because there will be no Social Security."  Things like that.  The problem is that:

1.  Most people do not believe it.
2.  Most people see something totally different.

Even my boss, who is a life-long Democrat, thinks the economy is doing great.  We are going to see another record profit this year.  He simply does not understand what people are thinking about, when they claim the economy stinks.  When the economy is bad, people do not buy computers at the rate they are.  And trust me, I know.  I remember what computer sales were like in 1992-1994.

Bad news may sell, but "bad talk" (as in gloomy depressing negative talk - not that the talkers are bad speakers or bad people) turns people off.  And I have listened to Air America.  I can't remember the last time I heard so much depression or anger.  To listen to them, everything from Hurricane Katrina to Uncle Bob running out of Toilet Paper is the fault of the Bush Administration.  That is 100% negative, and people simply refuse to listen to it for hours on end.

Plus according to most media people I have heard, they had no sellable business plan.  You had hosts that would spend hours talking about how evil and greedy corporations are.  Then they seriously expected to be able to turn around and sell these same corporations commercial time.  There was a report last year that they approached Wal-Mart for commercial blocks, and were flatly refused.  And who can blame them?  They burned a lot of their own bridges.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/19/06 at 5:46 pm

Even my boss, who is a life-long Democrat, thinks the economy is doing great.  We are going to see another record profit this year.  He simply does not understand what people are thinking about, when they claim the economy stinks.  When the economy is bad, people do not buy computers at the rate they are.  And trust me, I know.  I remember what computer sales were like in 1992-1994.

One must always look beyond themselves.  Your boss is seeing a record profit, but home foreclosures are up 20% nationwide.  Wages are down, job forecasts have never matched what was expected. 

Written By: McDonald on 10/19/06 at 9:33 pm

I personally never enjoyed Air America's programming very much, especially Al Franken whom I respect but whose show I find interminably boring. The network sometimes seems like nothing more than a mouthpiece for the Democratic party, which makes it no better than conservative tripe such as Limbaugh and Hannity. There was one show on there later at night that I did enjoy called the Mike Malloy show. I prefer Sirius Left liberal talk, namely Lynn Samuels. I rarely listen to it anymore though. In all honesty, if I listen to radio programming it's usually Stern. I'm just someone who prefers to laugh if I have the radio on. Although NPR and CBC/Radio-Canada have great intellectually stimulating programming that I also enjoy.

I do think it would be a great loss to the left to lose a public mouthpiece such as AA though. It seems that when you flip throught the AM stations it's nothing but one conservative meathead after another. I'm sure it was nice for terrestrial radio listeners of the left to have been able to hear something different on free radio for a change.

Written By: Mushroom on 10/19/06 at 10:53 pm

I do think it would be a great loss to the left to lose a public mouthpiece such as AA though. It seems that when you flip throught the AM stations it's nothing but on conservative meathead after another. I'm sure it was nice for terrestrial radio listeners of the left to have been able to hear something different on free radio for a change.

I used to listen to hours of talk radio every day when I lived in LA.  That is because that is where the best traffic updates were.  And I have found all viewpoints on it.

KFI in Los Angeles is the West Coast flagship for Rush Limbaugh.  In fact, when his flight was grounded on 9/11, KFI host Bill Handel took over on Rush's national broadcast.

And long before they became famous nationwide, April Winchell, Stephanie Miller, and Phil Hendrie all got their starts on KFI hosting long-running shows.  And before she became Persona Non Grata, Tammy Bruce ran a long-running show in the early 1990's.  This was before her split with the "Left Wing", when she was President of the LA chapter of NOW, and a spokesman for GLAAD and opponant of Laura Schlessinger.

What a lot of people do not realize is that radio is a business.  And to be successful, you have to both be entertaining, and make a profit.  And most radio celebrities have to go through a long series of starting positions to hone their craft.  Rush struggled for years at various radio and DJ jobs before he cound a nitch that suited him.  April Winchell, Stephanie Miller, and Tammy Bruce were all fired from KFI when their shows got repetitive, and listenership dropped.  However, both of them continued to work in radio, and improved their craft.  Now they are popular hosts again, having improved their ability to carry a long-term show.

Part of the problem with AA is that most of the hosts had little or no radio experience.  They thought that by going on the air saying the same thing over and over again, they would keep viewers.  And they never understood the economics of sponsorship.  There was a very obvious "anti-corporate" slant to almost all of their stories about "Big Business".  It never occured to them that "Big Business" was how they paid their bills.  This was not NPR, which was a Non-Profit organization, with college interns running most of the stations at no charge.

They never once made a profit, and with the exception of this year, they lost more money every year.  Oh they lost money this year also, but not as much as last year.  And combined with some of the questionable ways they made money, a lot of people simply turned them off.  Al Franken may be a creat comedian.  I actually enjoyed his early work on Saturday Night Live.  But he is not a good radio personality.  I listened to his show off and on for almost a month, and it seemed like every show was just a repeat of the show before.  After enough of that, people get bored and turn him off.

Plus the network largely was based around Franken.  He was the most prominant host, and was seen as the driving force.  On top of that, there was little variety.  Most AM stations carry a wide variety of programming.  KFI has run everything from "The Cigar Afficianados" show, to Rush Limbaugh, Art Bell, Bill Handel On The Law, Kevin Mitnick, Karel and Andrew (the first "openly gay couple" to host a radio show), and former LAPD chief Daryl Gates.  Topics were wide-spread, and hosts covered all areas of the spectrum.

Demographics are key.  You have to cover as many of them as possible.  And if a show is not popular, you replace it with something else.  Often, you replace it with something totally different from what was on before.  However, AA only had one demographic in mind: the politically far left.  That is a recipie for failure.

Overall, the country is pretty evenly split between Republicans and Democrats.  Each side has about 40% of the population.  It is the 20% in the middle that really decides elections.  But when you start with only 40% as potentional listeners, you are cutting out 60% of the population.  Out of those, 40% will never realliy listen, and half of the remaining 20% might listen.

When you combine that with a poor business model, it spells disaster.  The network has lost over $30 million in 3 years, and did not appear to be pulling out of the hole any time soon.  They simply alienated to many sponsors and listeners.  And their affiliates were required to carry only their programming.  Even Rush Limbaugh does not require that.  Any station that carries his show is free to carry whatever else they want for the other 21 hours of the day.  And most of them do carry a wide variety of programming.

Rish is an afternoon show in most areas, running between 9am-3pm, depending on time zone.  This is not even the peak listening times.  Most shows that run on talk radio from 6am-9am and 4pm-6pm are much more diverse.  This is the peak listenership, and local stations air whatever is the most popular.  It may be something like Howard Stern, or something more libertarian like John & Ken.  Most smaller markets often have local shows that air at that time.  And on a local show, the politics will often be determined by location.  KGO in San Francisco is noticeably Liberal, while WJNC in North Carolina is more conservative.  This is simply regional demographics.

Frankly, I almost never listen to AM radio anymore.  The only time I turn it on is Saturday, to listen to Handel On The Law, and the Kim Komando computer show.  I do not listen to Rush, AA, or anything else.  Our local Talk Radio is almost all local issues.  Frankly, I have no interest in knowing that the dog catcher has a drinking problem, or that a Doctor that owns half of downtown refuses to use or sell his vacant property downtown.  I have very little interest in the local politics, since I know that when it is all said and done, nothing will ever change.  The Democrat will win the local office, and he is the son and grandson of office holders before him.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/19/06 at 11:17 pm

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."

--George Orwell

Limbaugh and the limboids and FOX News LIE all the f**king time!!!!

Air America scared the bejesus out of the Right because they would talk about the real results of tax cuts for the rich, the Iraq war for oil, the fascist police state disguised as "the War on Terror," and the FACT that the last two Presidential elections and numerous other elected offices were stolen by Republicans and will continue to be stolen if the Republicans are not stopped. 

The mainstream media isn't "liberal."  Big time azzwhole journalists are actually to the RIGHT of the American public, especially on economic issues.

If you take your frame of reference about what is "Right" and what is "Left" from the mainstream media (whether it's FOX News or NPR), then Air America is "far left."    I just take it issue by issue.  It is not the "far left" that has destroyed American Democracy.  George W. Bush signed away the write of habeas corpus this week.  Then he invited the evangelical and the right-wing pundits to the White House so he could personally give them their talking points.  If you listen to Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Michael Reagan, or Laura Ingraham tomorrow, you are literally hearing what the federal government has told them to say.  That isn't f**king conservative!  That is fascism and nothing less.

When the Right is as far Right as Benito Mussolini, of course everything else looks "liberal" and "far left." 

Is Air America going to die a slow death over the next few years.  Probably.  But so much bad sh*t is going to go down in the next couple of years, I'll forget about them pretty fast!

Written By: McDonald on 10/20/06 at 5:49 pm

--George Orwell

Air America scared the bejesus out of the Right because they would talk about the real results of tax cuts for the rich, the Iraq war for oil, the fascist police state disguised as "the War on Terror," and the FACT that the last two Presidential elections and numerous other elected offices were stolen by Republicans and will continue to be stolen if the Republicans are not stopped. 

The mainstream media isn't "liberal."  Big time azzwhole journalists are actually to the RIGHT of the American public, especially on economic issues.

If you take your frame of reference about what is "Right" and what is "Left" from the mainstream media (whether it's FOX News or NPR), then Air America is "far left."    I just take it issue by issue.  It is not the "far left" that has destroyed American Democracy.  George W. Bush signed away the write of habeas corpus this week.  Then he invited the evangelical and the right-wing pundits to the White House so he could personally give them their talking points.  If you listen to Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Michael Reagan, or Laura Ingraham tomorrow, you are literally hearing what the federal government has told them to say.  That isn't f**king conservative!  That is fascism and nothing less.

When the Right is as far Right as Benito Mussolini, of course everything else looks "liberal" and "far left." 

Is Air America going to die a slow death over the next few years.  Probably.  But so much bad sh*t is going to go down in the next couple of years, I'll forget about them pretty fast!

Word.

I agree with you, Max. However, I'm seeing the media (CNN at least, since I don't get any other American 24-hour network) start to reflect what the majority of the American people are thinking. I saw a statistic on the cover of Actualit

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/21/06 at 12:50 am

Word.

I agree with you, Max. However, I'm seeing the media (CNN at least, since I don't get any other American 24-hour network) start to reflect what the majority of the American people are thinking. I saw a statistic on the cover of Actualit

Written By: velvetoneo on 10/21/06 at 2:48 pm

--George Orwell

On a totally different topic, many young Easterners like myself who come from liberal families are arguably just as brainwashed and unable to make their own political decisions as Limbaugh-Lovers from Arkansas. They don't even know the reasons why they're liberal and hate Bush so much, they don't understand the breadth and depth of his threats to the way of American life, they just think all Republicans are an inferior species! For example, this particularly annoying girl in my Shakespeare production right now said "My uncle is a Republican!", with a disgusted and apprehensive tone, and my friend and I said back to her, "You're acting as if your uncle eats infants and spits out their bones!" It's the beliefs and the leadership you should be disgusted at, woman, not the individual voter! It's like this hate for Republicans, and they don't even know why. It's just fashionable. And they're probably going to spend the whole of their life ignorant, going to colleges where they're Women's Studies and Peace Studies majors and only hear one viewpoint, and remain as unable to make their own decisions as the trailer park dwellers in the hinterlands they disdain.

Written By: McDonald on 10/21/06 at 3:02 pm

On a totally different topic, many young Easterners like myself who come from liberal families are arguably just as brainwashed and unable to make their own political decisions as Limbaugh-Lovers from Arkansas. They don't even know the reasons why they're liberal and hate Bush so much, they don't understand the breadth and depth of his threats to the way of American life, they just think all Republicans are an inferior species! For example, this particularly annoying girl in my Shakespeare production right now said "My uncle is a Republican!", with a disgusted and apprehensive tone, and my friend and I said back to her, "You're acting as if your uncle eats infants and spits out their bones!" It's the beliefs and the leadership you should be disgusted at, woman, not the individual voter! It's like this hate for Republicans, and they don't even know why. It's just fashionable. And they're probably going to spend the whole of their life ignorant, going to colleges where they're Women's Studies and Peace Studies majors and only hear one viewpoint, and remain as unable to make their own decisions as the trailer park dwellers in the hinterlands they disdain.

You could be right, but I like to think that going to a college and actually paying attention as opposed to just going their to earn a degree in a specific thing, will learn to think for themselves there. That's what a bachelor's degree is supposed to be for, to expose people to HIGHER education.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/21/06 at 3:45 pm

No matter where you are on the spectrum, you must eschew knee-jerk political reactions.
Several hosts on Air America dedicate much time to documenting how the Republican party has changed since the 1960s.  They have demonstrated that moderate Republicans such as Dwight Eisenhower and conservative Republicans such as Barry Goldwater adhered to principles above greed and power.  These are not the men who were the predecessors of Ronald Reagan and Newt Gingrich.
Scott Ritter, John Dean, and Kevin Phillips have been courted by Air America.  All three were conservative Republicans who withdrew from the Republican party not because they became liberal Democrats, but because the Republican party abandoned any semblance of true conservatism in the 1980s and 1990s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Phillips_(political_commentator)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Ritter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dean
These are not men who I, as a left-winger, would agree with on most issues.  In the 1970s, they would have been the opposition (mind you, Scott Ritter was 12 at the time of Watergate!).  The Right likes to claim it is the Dems who have become "far-left" and "radical."  A cursory look at the evidence since the Carter Administration shows the Dems have moved further right than Eisenhower ever was and only look far left because fascists and theocratic reactionaries control the GOP.  I mean both of these terms literally.  It is no exaggeration to call Newt Gingrich a fascist or Pat Robertson a theocrat.  It is a flat-out lie to call Hillary Clinton a socialist.  Air America also invited Barry Goldwater's daughter on several programs to talk about her father and what he stood for.  Sen. Goldwater was an object of fear and derision to liberal Americans in the 1960s (for good reasons too, whch I felt Air America conveniently overlooked, though you can indeed make Goldwater look like a pretty reasonable guy compared to Dubya or Frist).

HILLARY CLINTON IS MORE RIGHT-WING THAN GENERAL EISENHOWER!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/21/06 at 3:53 pm

EXCERPT COURTESY OF THOM HARTMANN'S EMAIL LIST:

There are times when doing the profitable thing is also doing the right thing.
That's certainly what Roger Ailes and Rupert Murdoch thought when they lost an average of $90 million a year for about five years before the Fox News Channel became profitable. It's what Reverend Moon believes, as his Washington Times newspaper lost hundreds of millions of dollars and, according to some reports, even today continues to lose money. And its what the people who have made Air America Radio possible - names you probably wouldn't recognize because they've invested millions of their own money but don't seek the limelight - believe.

Each of these endeavors hit nail-biting times.

In Murdoch's early days building News Corp. (which then helped fund Fox News), as The Hollywood Reporter noted in a 2005 article:

"orporate expansion and the stock market crash of 1987 conspired to create a financial crisis for Murdoch in 1990, when News Corp. reported revenue of $6.7 billion and saw more than $7 billion in debt come due. With News Corp. shares plummeting from $24 to $8 as a result of the Black Monday crash and Murdoch's buying sprees continuing unabated, creditors became nervous. A refinancing plan was put in place, but at the last minute, one small bank in Pittsburgh refused to go along with the scheme, demanding repayment of a $10 million loan.
"That $10 million loan nearly caused the entire collapse of News Corp.: An extraordinary race against time ensued in which Murdoch and his financial advisers struggled to convince the company's 100-plus creditors to agree to a deal by which they would all be paid at the same time. Only at the eleventh hour did the Pittsburgh bank capitulate, to Murdoch's great relief.

"The mogul managed to get through the ordeal without parting with substantial blocks of stock, which likely would have forced him to lose control of the company he created (a fate that befell his rival, Turner). At one point, though, Murdoch reportedly did have to sign over as security personal assets, including his New York penthouse."

Written By: velvetoneo on 10/21/06 at 9:10 pm

You could be right, but I like to think that going to a college and actually paying attention as opposed to just going their to earn a degree in a specific thing, will learn to think for themselves there. That's what a bachelor's degree is supposed to be for, to expose people to HIGHER education.

My main issue with higher education in this country is that you essentially remain, for the most part, in the strata you were exposed to before you were 18 ideologically. People need their viewpoints challenged in order to think for themselves, if you catch my drift. Which is the reason I decided to go to a larger school in a larger city when it comes time to go to college. I want more of my education to be about meeting different people and living in different situations and growing in that sense.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/21/06 at 9:29 pm

Ever since Reagan handed all the power to the corporations, America has become a much more mean-spirited, intolerant, and barbarous nation.  To much of this dividing the country into "winners" and "losers," too much trashtalk about "personal responsibility" as drunken zillionaires rob us blind. 

If progressives (ie. reasonable people) want to rescue our nation from the fascists, we are all going to have to work much harder at it.  That means forcing people like Hillary Clinton to clean up their acts too!

Written By: Mushroom on 10/24/06 at 4:00 pm

On a totally different topic, many young Easterners like myself who come from liberal families are arguably just as brainwashed and unable to make their own political decisions as Limbaugh-Lovers from Arkansas.

You see this in all areas of the country.

"The South" is the home of Conservative Democrats.  And it has been for over 100 years.  If you look at every State and Federal election in the region, it shows just that.  This is the region that FDR used as the heart of his "New Deal".  If you look at the TVA and other projects, you will see that a bulk of them were in the South.  And the TVA spawned a generation of voters that simply clicked "Democrat", and that was that.

However, by the late 1970's, things started to change.  The Democrats became increasingly Liberal, and the South resisted.  However, they still voted for Democrats.  Governor George Wallace was one of these, a "Chameleon", that could go from a strict segregationist platform, to a strong Integration platform as the winds changed.

But in the early 1980's, things started to change.  More and more often, Federal elections started to shift Republican.  But it is still not Universal.  In all the years since Reconstruction ended, North Carolina, Alabama, Florida, and Arkansas have only had 3 Republican Governors.  South Carolina has had 4.  Louisiana and Mississippi have had 2.  Georgia has only had 1.  And the history of most US Senators is mostly the same.  Until the last 20 years, Democrats all across the board.  And in the last 20 years, about an even mix of Democrat and Republican.

However, the local races are almost all universally Democrat.  We have never had a Republican Sheriff in my county.  And the current Sheriff is expected to win in a landslide.  And his brother is running as a Democrat for County Coroner, and is also expected to win by a landslide.

The South tends to have 2 types of successful politicians: Moderate Republicans, or Conservative Democrats.  We had a few "Liberal" Democrats run for Governor (and other Federal Offices), but they never made it past the primaries.  The nomination instead went to the current Lt. Governor, Lucy Baxley.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/24/06 at 5:47 pm

As you know, Mush, when LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964, he declared it was the end of the Democratic party for a generation.  LBJ was both right and wrong.  As you point out, Democrats still hold a great many of the local offices in the Southern states.  It was Nixon's "Southern strategy" that began the demise of Democrats holding federal office in the South. 

I'm sorry the Republican party, the party of Lincoln, resorted to racist fear mongering, but they did and it worked.  It worked for Nixon, It worked for Reagan, it worked for the likes of Newt Gingrich, Strom Thurmond, and Jesse Helms.  The racist strategy of the Republicans to this day is a finely honed propaganda machine.  They don't appreciate dolts like Trent Lott pulling the curtain back a bit.  The Republicans don't go spouting off like Pitchfork Ben Tillman and the post-Confederacy/pre-Civile Rights Act racist redneck Democrats!  Jesse Helms was a little too old school, though he toned it down in the '70s. 

The old Jim Crow Democrat/Dixiecrat standby was known as "ni**er, ni**er, ni**er!"  Today the racist GOP strategy is to say everything except "ni**er, ni**er, ni**er!"  You talk about "traditional family values," you talk about the "liberal Northeastern establishment," you talk about "our traditional Judeo*- Christian foundations,  you talke about "intellectual elitists," you talk about "Hollywood liberals," amd you talk about "pornography and gangsta rap."   Furthermore, you trot out Clarence Thomas, Colin Powell, Condi Rice, Armstrong Williams, Walter Williams, and Bill Cosby as representatives of what African-Americans should be.  And you never ever mention "class" unless it has the word "middle" in front of it (or the word "warfare" after it, if you want to excoriate the commie Dems).   In the end, the unstated message screams as loud as a steam whistle: "ni**er, ni**er, ni**er!"

As our own homegrown Boston segregationist, school committee chair Louise Day Hicks used to say,
"You know where I stand!"
wink, wink
;) ;)

LDH was an opponent of the notorious Boston "busing" experiment of the late '60s and early '70s.  Busing was unworkable for logistical and sociological reasons, but everyone knew LDH was stating the unstated, just like the Republicans were doing in the South:  "ni**er, ni**er, ni**er!"

Danoota probably remembers the bad old days of the "busing" violence and Lousie Day Hicks.

Zell Miller made plain, even through his menacing dementia, what hundreds of thousnds of Southerners feel, the "Democrat Party" is their party as it was for their fathers and forebears, and they just can't pick up and leave it.  Perhaps this is changing as Gen-X rises to political power, but I'm not sure.  I don't study the local politics of the South from all the way up here in the Bay State.  I learn some from Mushroom and folks who do live in the South.

Here's what really grinds my cookies:  Every time the Right talks about the Good Ole Days, they always note the end of the Good Ole Days as exactly the time of the Civil Rights Act.  I could be generous and say, well, as social conservatives, they're responding to the "liberal social values" as the reason.  And yet, time and again, it's always the time of the Civil Rights Act that they cite as when we went wrong,  NOT, say, "The Summer of Love" (1967) or "Watergate."  I mean, it was Beatlemania and shaggy hair in July of 1964, but popular oral contraceptives, universal pot smoking, Woodstock, and "Deep Throat" (take your pick) didn't, erm, go down until a few years later.

"General civility is what we had in this country until forty years ago."
--Rev. Jerry Fallwell (2004)

Back to Air America, even the evil pollster Frank Luntz is admitting the working class is abandoning the GOP, so there might be a bigger audience for Air America in years to come....if the network doesn't whither away from internecine squabbling.
::)

*Yeah, the Jews are cool now.  Nathan Beford-Forrest is spinning in hs grave.  However, old NB-F never met Israel!

Written By: Mushroom on 10/25/06 at 9:09 am

As you know, Mush, when LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964, he declared it was the end of the Democratic party for a generation.  LBJ was both right and wrong.  As you point out, Democrats still hold a great many of the local offices in the Southern states.  It was Nixon's "Southern strategy" that began the demise of Democrats holding federal office in the South. 

And once again, you make the mistake in that everything down here is about race.  Like I said, "That is our Grandfathers South - not ours".

For the most part, groups like the Klukkers have been forced to go into hiding.  In fact, you will probably find it easier to find one in California or Illinois then you will in Georgia.  A lot of "my generation" (especially in Alabama) acturally turned away from the Democrats because of the things that Democrats like George Wallace and Bull Connors did.

My Grandfather was one of those.  When he left Alabama in the 1930's, he moved to California, then Alaska.  And after WWII, he left the Army and joined the Army Corps of Engineers.  And one of his first projects was back in Alabama, part of the TVA project.  And at that time, he started to change his party.  When he finished that project, he once again moved as far away from "The South" as he could: Alaska.

A lot of "My Generation" down here really does not trust the Democrats.  We saw what the Democrat Governors, state Legislatures, Sheriffs, and Judges did down here.  Thankfully, most of those are long gone.  But no matter what outsiders may think, down here the taint of racism tends to stick much more to the Democrats then the Republicans.  Why?  Because they were the ones totally in power in The South at the time, and they only faught to make things worse.

The reason that the Democrats keep blowing it in the South is that they just do not understand.  This region is best described as "Conservative Democrat".  Religion and "family values" are very important down here, and so is patriotism.  Just like in the 1860's, when people down here feel they are being attacked (themselves, their region, or their country), their first reaction is to turn around and start fighting.

This is a region where a large number of people own their own businesses, grow or hunt for their own food, want as little to do with "The Government" as they can.  To them, The Government is something that imposes it's will upon them, like Reconstruction.  And yes, there is still distrust down here because of that.  Not because of what it was trying to do, but because it was done without their conscent, and against their wishes.  This has fostered a long distrust of The Government in the South.

So when they hear a party saying that the Government will do things for them, they get nervous.  LBJ was right, but for the wrong reason.  The Civil RIghts Ammendment did cause a lot of distrust in the South, but not for the reason you think.  It was not because of the race issue, but because a large number of states and regions suddenly fell under "special control" all over again.  It was just like Reconstruction.

Even worse was the Voting Rights Act.  This set up special "Voting Districts" and placed Federal control over select states and counties.  Intended as a measure that would serve it's purpose then go away, it has become permanent.  Not one "district" under the act has ever been removed.  And this includes areas like The Bronx, Merced County California, and all the Southern States, including Alaska and Arizona.

But it is no longer about race.  That died over 30 years ago.  Now it is about the continued domination of the Government in people's lives.  FDR is still revered down here, because he put in measures to help make people's lives better.  But more and more, that image is in contrast with the "New Democrats".  The farther "Left" the Democratic party goes, the more it alienates the "Conservative Democrats" in the South.  For one example, Gay Marriage.  Most down here really could not care less what people do in private.  They simply do not want it shoved constantly in their faces (and their children's faces).

And remember, I am a "Moderate Conservative" from California.  And most of the time, even I seem "far left" to most of the people out here. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/25/06 at 1:14 pm

Nah, it's mostly about race.  Why dance the jig?

I know all the "we-don't-like-the-government" mentality, but I think a lot of that is delusional on the part of Southern conservatives.  They get tons of federal subsidies for all kinds of things.  Couldn't get by without 'em, not even the Jeb Clampett-types.  It was then and it is now.

I can't buy the argument that it wasn't about race for the Dixiecrats.  They didn't want the feds interfering with Jim Crow.  Aggie subs, no prob!

Sorry, gotta get back to work, no more time to rant!

Written By: Mushroom on 10/26/06 at 9:26 am

Nah, it's mostly about race.  Why dance the jig?

I know all the "we-don't-like-the-government" mentality, but I think a lot of that is delusional on the part of Southern conservatives.  They get tons of federal subsidies for all kinds of things.  Couldn't get by without 'em, not even the Jeb Clampett-types.  It was then and it is now.

I can't buy the argument that it wasn't about race for the Dixiecrats.  They didn't want the feds interfering with Jim Crow.  Aggie subs, no prob!

Sorry, gotta get back to work, no more time to rant!

*shakes head*  Maxwell, we have had this arguement before.

You have admitted that you have never lived down here.  And this may shock you, but you are basing your beliefs on prejudice and stereotypical assumptions that are at least 20 years old.

And I bet you believe that all Californians are either movie stars or hippies, and that the streets of Boise Idaho are dirt with wooden sidewalks.  Do you think that all Texans wear 10 Gallon Hats, and go around saying "Yelp"?  Does everybody go around Pennsylvania in horse drawn buckboards?  And do Alaskans really live in igloos?  Do you believe everybody in Maine is a fisherman and talk with a super-slow drawl? 

Myself, I find it very insulting that you just automatically assume that everything down here is about race.  That is baggage that most of left long behind it.  I am 41, and am about the youngest person that I know that even remembers the problems of the Civil Rights era.  And even the Democrats I talk to are ashamed of people like George Wallace and Bull Connors.  Nobody wants to see a return to that type of life.

At least, anybody that matters.  You will always have racists, ignorants, and bigots.  And you have them everywhere, not just in the South.

Next summer, why don't you come down here and spend a few months, see what it is really like.  Then you can speak from first hand knowledge, not old outdated assumptions.  Or you can ask some of us what it is like.  I know of at least 3 or 4 other posters on this board that are from down here.

BTW: I have seen more racism in Los Angeles and Connecticut then I have here in Alabama.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/26/06 at 10:35 am

Vinny Gambini: Hey Stan, you're in Ala-frackin-Bama. You come from New York. You killed a good old boy. There is no way this is not going to trial.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

:D

Written By: Mushroom on 10/26/06 at 1:28 pm

Vinny Gambini: Hey Stan, you're in Ala-frackin-Bama. You come from New York. You killed a good old boy. There is no way this is not going to trial.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

LOL, no prob.  That is actually one of my favorite movies, and I have it in my collection.  And as an aside, the movie was actually filmed in Georgia.  :)

But it is TV and movies like that which reenforce the stereotype.  The Dukes Of Hazard, Sheriff Lobo, Deliverance, O Brother Where Art Thou, and the list goes on.  Southern gals are almost always portrayed as empty headed bimbos, with big boobs and to stupid to keep their legs closed.  Men are either friendly morons, or evil scheemers who use their power to get whatever they can.  And almost everybody is a Klukker.

Of course, there are other stereotypes that are often shown in TV and movies.  Every rap singer is a gangbanger, everybody that lives in Compton or Watts is black, Harlem is just a slum ghetto, all Mexicans drink beer, eat burritos, and bash pi

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/26/06 at 1:49 pm

I lived in North Carolina for a couple years.  While it has remnants of Southerlyness, it was still a very pleasant experience and I noticed that a lot of people got along quite well, there didn't seem to be any racism...in fact, it reminded me a lot of where I came from in California.

I traveled to Asheville, Charlotte, Rocky Mount and the Outer Banks as well as in Georgia and South Carolina and it was sort of the same.  I don't know anything about Alabama or Mississippi though. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/27/06 at 12:02 am

Did Fred Gwynne's Judge Haller character contradict or affirm a Southern stereotype?  On the one hand, Judge Haller was a refined gentleman who made it clear to Vinny Gambini that Alabama took justice very seriously.  Vinny and Mona Lisa were the more played-up negative stereotype, you know, guido New Yorkers!  On the other, Haller could be seen as a stereotypical Southern patriarch, such as Eric Endicott in "In the Heat of the Night."

I don't think it's ALL about race in the South. Some of it was, is, and will continue to be.  I think it's a waste of time to deny it.  I also mentioned the "busing" debacle in Boston, and the rabid racist councilwoman Louise Day Hicks.  I never deny there's racism a-plenty up this way and I don't see an end to it any time soon!

My grandparents, for instance, were very progressive Yankees from old abolitionist stock, and of course they proudly supported the Civil Rights Movement with rigteous indignation....but if my aunt had come home with a Black boyfriend in 1964, I would never have known my own grandmother!  Simultaneous coronary and stroke!  Stone dead she'd be!  Hey, that's just the way it goes up here.  It's gotten somewhat better in the past 40 years, but it's still pretty nasty!
>:(

Check for new replies or respond here...