» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Drilling in Alaska?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 1:54 am

I say No.  For one thing a lot of Alaska's North Slope is already developed and there's no telling how much oil really is up there. I know they say we can do it safely but can we really trust them?

Subject: Re: Drilling in Alaska?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/20/05 at 1:59 am

No.  Poking holes in the Arctic is not the answer to mankind's impending energy crises!

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 2:01 am

No. Poking holes in the Arctic is not the answer to mankind's impending energy crises!

Agreed.  I'll say the adage the Right loves to (ab)use: To give one a fish is to feed one for a day, to teach one to fish is to feed them for a lifetime.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/20/05 at 2:03 am

I support drilling in Alaska as a last resort, because we cannot continue to depend on the arabs for oil in the future, it's not going to work. Oil will just get more and more expensive. I think that we should first look in to alternative energy sources, and conserving more.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/20/05 at 1:51 pm

Agreed.  I'll say the adage the Right loves to (ab)use: To give one a fish is to feed one for a day, to teach one to fish is to feed them for a lifetime.

...Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.  ;) :D

No, I don't think we should drill. I think we need to find more renewable forms of energy.

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/20/05 at 1:59 pm

No.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/20/05 at 3:49 pm

What's interesting is the majority of the residents of the state of Alaska support drilling in ANWR, but not a majority of people in the north east.  I'd sure like to know where people not in Alaska get off telling them in that state what they can or cannot do.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/20/05 at 5:06 pm

What's interesting is the majority of the residents of the state of Alaska support drilling in ANWR, but not a majority of people in the north east.  I'd sure like to know where people not in Alaska get off telling them in that state what they can or cannot do.

Based on this logic, we should privatize Yellowstone (and develop geothermal energy there - hope that word isn't to big) and also the Grand Canyon (more dams on the Colorado - which no longer matches its mane) could also yield more energy.  Who needs a big hole in the ground anyway.  And holy crow, Vermont's logging industry could profit very well by opening the Green Mountain Nation Forest to more extensive logging.

Federally owned land is a resource owned by all of us as a nation (or do reject the idea of a "national interest") and its use should be determined by the national interest and not the parochial.

Extend this  logic to pollution issues.  The west wind usually blows here, so why should I spend money to eliminate pollution that I don't have to breath?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/20/05 at 7:02 pm

But it's federal land, is it not?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/20/05 at 7:08 pm

But it's federal land, is it not?

Who cares?  The only people who will experience the "negative" effects of this drilling will be the people of the state of Alaska, not me in Georgia, and surely not anyone in New England.

The oil there will be enough to soley cover the US for two years, but if they release it slowly, say 5 million barrels a day for years, we could easily be be paying under a dollar for a gallon of gas again, thus jump-starting the economy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/20/05 at 7:14 pm

Who cares.  The only people who will experience the "negative" effects of this drilling will be the people of the state of Alaska, not me in Georgia, and surely not anyone in New England.

The oil there will be enough to soley cover the US for two years, but if they release it slowly, say 5 million barrels a day for years, we could easily be be paying under a dollar for a gallon of gas again, thus jump-starting the economy.

You best care if you go stomping around on federal land!

Fat chance.  They ain't never gonna sell us gas for under a buck again!

The oil industry keeps downplaying the ecological damage by pointing out the massiveness of ANWR and the tiny acreage of the oil operations. They DO NOT tell the whole story.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/20/05 at 7:19 pm

They DO NOT tell the whole story.

What exactly is the whole story the eeevil oil companies aren't telling us?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/20/05 at 7:56 pm

What exactly is the whole story the eeevil oil companies aren't telling us?

http://www.nrdc.org/land/wilderness/arctic.asp

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/21/05 at 5:27 pm

Who cares? 

A lot of us care, evan though we might never visit Alaska.  My question is, do you not care about the quality of our environment?  As usual, I really don't expect an answer.

Written By: pimpinsteelersfan on 02/21/05 at 8:12 pm

I support drilling in Alaska as a last resort, because we cannot continue to depend on the arabs for oil in the future, it's not going to work. Oil will just get more and more expensive. I think that we should first look in to alternative energy sources, and conserving more.

I agree with you there.  Who knows how long we can rely on them to keep giving us oil.  And when they do how expensive will it be?  We need to find alternative energy sources.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/21/05 at 8:49 pm

I agree with you there.  Who knows how long we can rely on them to keep giving us oil.  And when they do how expensive will it be?  We need to find alternative energy sources.

Gasoline would be twice as expensive if the U.S. government didn't subsidize it.  Anyway, if OPEC prices us out of their markets, they'll be in a world of sh!t!

Check for new replies or respond here...