» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Let's Discuss Whaling

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 2:10 am

Do you support it?  I support it for people who use every single part of the whale and don't mass-kill them.  That is if the species is not endangered.

Subject: Re: Let's Discuss Whaling

Written By: UKVisitor on 02/20/05 at 2:17 am

Being a meat-muncher par-excellence myself with not a vegetarian bone in my body (unless I've eaten a vegetarian recently and forgotten about it) I would be a massive hypocrite if I took a stance against traditional whaling communities wherein the use of whale meat and byproducts is at the core of their survival. However the mass whaling operations of the Japanese and other countries whereby it is a commercial venture for profit - I think there should be a worldwide moratorium until such time as the whale population has recovered sufficiently, if ever, to sustain a return to commercial whaling.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 2:18 am

Being a meat-muncher par-excellence myself with not a vegetarian bone in my body (unless I've eaten a vegetarian recently and forgotten about it) I would be a massive hypocrite if I took a stance against traditional whaling communities wherein the use of whale meat and byproducts is at the core of their survival. However the mass whaling operations of the Japanese and other countries whereby it is a commercial venture for profit - I think there should be a worldwide moratorium until such time as the whale population has recovered sufficiently, if ever, to sustain a return to commercial whaling.

I'm a meat eater too ... although one must consider that whales are smarter than cows and pigs.

Written By: UKVisitor on 02/20/05 at 2:25 am

If they are so smart why is it that Cows and Pigs aren't on the brink of extinction eh , eh ???? I reckon the cow-pig alliance struck some kinda deal centuries ago with humans along the lines of "Okay, we promise to become really tasty as long as you let us breed like crazy until one of us becomes king of the world". Humans being humands went, "Duh, sounds like a deal" and then in 2020 the Republican party put a small neutered bullock forward as presidential candidate and hey presto, the biggest landslide since records began. Oh and the whales were by then extinct much to the pleasure of the cows and the pigs who were mightily sick of their constant letters and emails.  ;D

Me, I feel sorry for pigs - I mean cows only make beef, but pigs you get pork, bacon, ham, gammon - it's like someone really had it in for the pig, tasty little devils that they are !!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/20/05 at 2:35 am

Forge whaleing, cod are dying out for chrissakes!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/20/05 at 1:58 pm

I am a meat eater, and I am against whaling..... go figure.  ::)

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/20/05 at 5:13 pm

I just recently watched Star Trek, the Journy Home. Spook said something like "It is illogical to drive a spicies to extinction..."  and the cetatian biologist said something like "my compassion for a creature is no governed by my estimation of its intelligence".  Have any of you seen a humpback make a bubble net?  or "slap?  or breach?  I have.  These are truely remarkable creatures.  They must be preserved.

Written By: philbo on 02/20/05 at 5:44 pm

Being a meat-muncher par-excellence myself with not a vegetarian bone in my body (unless I've eaten a vegetarian recently and forgotten about it) I would be a massive hypocrite if I took a stance against traditional whaling communities wherein the use of whale meat and byproducts is at the core of their survival.

Yeah... but it must  get to be a rather boring diet: I mean, you kill one whale, you're eating it for months.  Maybe that's what Vera Lynn was going on about when she said: "Whale meat again..."

....sorry ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/20/05 at 6:18 pm

I just recently watched Star Trek, the Journy Home. Spock said something like "It is illogical to drive a spicies to extinction..."  and the cetatian biologist said something like "my compassion for a creature is no governed by my estimation of its intelligence".  Have any of you seen a humpback make a bubble net?  or "slap?  or breach?  I have.  These are truely remarkable creatures.  They must be preserved.

I grok Spock!

Philbo wrote
Yeah... but it must  get to be a rather boring diet: I mean, you kill one whale, you're eating it for months.   
It's better than straving to death on an iceberg.  Just ask any of the indigenous Arctic people.  Those people found a use for every single part of the animal, whereas the Europeans grabbed the blubber, the oil, and the bone for specific purposes, but often discarding much of the carcass.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/20/05 at 6:24 pm

I grok Spock.

thats a term that i haven't heard in awhile...

indiginous peoples should be able to carry out traditional hunts but the wide scale hunting of the past should stay there.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/20/05 at 6:34 pm

thats a term that i haven't heard in awhile...

indiginous peoples should be able to carry out traditional hunts but the wide scale hunting of the past should stay there.

Robert Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land, God I hated that book!
I had to read it for a HS class called "Utopian Worlds."  Goofy hippie sh*t.

I don't know if there really were t-shirts captioned "I Grok Spok," or if that's just something Matt Groening made up.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/20/05 at 6:39 pm

i struggled through that book too. heinlein, i came to find out later, was a fascist. it shows in his work although i loved starship troopers.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/20/05 at 6:47 pm

i struggled through that book too. heinlein, i came to find out later, was a fascist. it shows in his work although i loved starship troopers.

I think I heard that about Heinlein somewhere, is it really true?  That's too good!  Shall we share water, brother?
;D

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/20/05 at 6:54 pm

I think I heard that about Heinlein somewhere, is it really true?  That's too good!  Shall we share water, brother?
;D

i typed in 'robert heinlein fascist' in the google and i came up with many articles claiming he was and he wasn't. one i just read claimed he was a staunch libetarian. draw your own conclusions i guess  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/20/05 at 8:44 pm

I'm not against it. It has been a practice that's been passed down from generation to generation. Let it be.

Tanya

Check for new replies or respond here...