» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: "Zippity Do Dah"? being covered...Wasn't that song banned?

Written By: woops on 02/20/05 at 5:36 pm

I don't know whether this belongs to the 2000's forums of not, but I saw a cheesy commercial on The Disney Channel with a bubblegum pop act singing a cover of "Zippity Do Dah" from the infamous & long banned Disney movie "Song From The South" for an upcoming Disney CD of covers from past Disney movies?

I know the movie is long banned and dealt with racial stereotypes, but isn't the song "Zippity Do Dah" also banned along with the Briar Rabbit & the whole characters of that movie.

This may sound dumb, but what is "Zippity Do Dah"?

A few months ago, I saw the uncut version of "Holiday Inn" on Turner Classic Movies and it featured the infamous scene "Abraham", which had some of the cast in blackface and the song contains racial references.

Though the song had a good message about Abraham Lincoln freeing the slaves, but it it doesn't mention the term "black" or "African American". Personally, the whole scene of the movie was a product of it's time and should be looked as a historical document of what was common at the unfortunate time of segregation and the same for other forms of stereotypes done in WWII propaganda cartoons.

Subject: Re: "Zippity Do Dah"? being covered...Wasn't that song banned?

Written By: Dagwood on 02/20/05 at 6:06 pm

I don't think the song was banned...just the movie. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/20/05 at 6:15 pm

This may sound dumb, but what is "Zippity Do Dah"?

It was probably slang for intercourse like everything else.
:P

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 02/20/05 at 6:33 pm

It was probably slang for intercourse like everything else.
:P

Now that right thurr sounds like a racial stereotype

I'm pretty sure the song wasn't banned because I remember hearing a lot of Disney albums with the song on it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/20/05 at 6:41 pm

Now that right thurr sounds like a racial stereotype

I'm pretty sure the song wasn't banned because I remember hearing a lot of Disney albums with the song on it.

Hey, look, you listen to those wonderful old blues songs and they thought of every slang, metaphor, and allegory with which to discuss sex.  You couldn't talk openly about sexuality at all in the first half of the 20th century.  Of course, with metaphors as blunt as "my dentist has the best drill, he drills me real good," and "my gal's got the best washing machine, always plenty of suds," most of these records got banned anyway!
If there was a racial stereotype in my "Zippity Do Dah" comment it is that African Americans are hipper and more creative!

Written By: woops on 02/20/05 at 8:26 pm

A Disney song about sex?

Though Dumbo was drunk and there was one cartoon with Huey, Duey, Louie buying their Uncle Donald a box of cigars and the infamous scene with Donald forcing them to smoke to teach them a lesson, which he thought the nephews bought it for themselves instead for his birthday.  ::)  :P

Written By: karen on 02/24/05 at 7:16 am

Having just got back from Disney World I know that they sing Zippety Doo Dah every morning as part of their opening sequence.  Also the characters Br'er Rabbit and Br'er Bear appear in the parades despite the fact that the film hasn't been seen for years (It was only from earlier discussions on other threads on these boards that I worked out who the weird rbbit and bear must be!)

Check for new replies or respond here...