» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Is Mormonism all just a lie?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/22/05 at 12:59 am

I've heard Joseph Smith was a trickster who made all the stuff up.  One day I had a chat with a Mormon converter about their faith and told them of it.  The guy unconvincingly said that he had a third grade education or something. wtf?

Oh well, at least Mormons are good people even if their faith is stupid.

-FHF  :D

Subject: Re: Is Mormonism all just a lie?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/22/05 at 1:01 am

You may be on to something about organized religion.  Shhhhh!  Don't arouse the atheists!
:-X

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/22/05 at 1:03 am

You may be on to something about organized religion.  Shhhhh!  Don't arouse the atheists!
:-X

As for Catholicism, I think people at the time misunderstood Christ.  I highly doubt Jesus was a f*g-hater.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/22/05 at 1:04 am

it's touchy, i hate to come down on a mormon and tell them that their founder was a charlatan. then again it's faith. the mormons have done many good things for their country, if they believe joseph smith was a legit prophet, more power to them.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/22/05 at 1:05 am

I've heard Joseph Smith was a trickster who made all the stuff up.  One day I had a chat with a Mormon converter about their faith and told them of it.   The guy unconvincingly said that he had a third grade education or something. wtf?

Yea, mormonism is definitely a bunch of garbage. The book of mormon is a joke, it has more contradictions than the bible.  Those people are crazy, I signed up for that free bible deal one time. I got my free bible, but they were calling and calling and and asking if I want one of them to come to my house and deliver me a book of mormon, I said no thanks. They didn't give up though, so one day I had to tell them off.

Written By: jaytee on 02/22/05 at 1:06 am

I classify it more as a "cult" than a religion.  Just don't tell my dozens of Mormon relatives in the US ::)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/22/05 at 1:06 am

it's touchy, i hate to come down on a mormon and tell them that their founder was a charlatan. then again it's faith. the mormons have done many good things for their country, if they believe joseph smith was a legit prophet, more power to them.

Utah almost seems like another country in some ways. Beautiful state with friendly people, even if some of them are a tad weird.

-FHF

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/22/05 at 1:09 am

As for Catholicism, I think people at the time misunderstood Christ.  I highly doubt Jesus was a f*g-hater.

I am with you on this one, I notice that some people take things to "the extremes".  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/22/05 at 1:14 am

James 3:8-12- but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a f*g tree bear olives, or a grapefruit bear f*gs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/22/05 at 8:22 am

Utah almost seems like another country in some ways. Beautiful state with friendly people, even if some of them are a tad weird.

-FHF

Hey, as a Utahn (not mormon though), I resemble that remark. :D

Written By: Bobby on 02/22/05 at 11:01 am

I think all religion is a lie. Worship is an individual thing.

However, Mormonism is interesting because, as Mark clarified for me in a previous thread, Joseph Smith supposed to have found some plates in a hill (indicated in a dream) from which he based the book of mormon - it sounds like he was on something IMO.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/22/05 at 2:32 pm

Hey, as a Utahn (not mormon though), I resemble that remark. :D

I knew you would show up  ;D 

Actually I was in Utah last July.  Been to Wolf Creek about 12 mi east of Ogden?

Written By: Dagwood on 02/22/05 at 10:41 pm

I knew you would show up ;D

Actually I was in Utah last July. Been to Wolf Creek about 12 mi east of Ogden?

No, I haven't.  I did grow up within 40 miles of there, though.  Go figure.

Written By: Missionary on 02/23/05 at 5:39 pm

I've heard Joseph Smith was a trickster who made all the stuff up.  One day I had a chat with a Mormon converter about their faith and told them of it.   The guy unconvincingly said that he had a third grade education or something. wtf?

I have spent alot of time investigating Mormonism and have a best friend who is one. For half of this school year I went to Mormon seminary thinking it was just another form of Christianity but I was very wrong! They have such zeal and passion for God and are the nicest people you will ever meet but  they have twisted God's word and added things that completley controdict with what Jesus taught. Jesus was God in human form and came to save us but they think that they can become gods of their own planets and start their own "earth". In other words they believe in billions of Gods and believe that the god of the Bible was once a man on another planet. Where they find this in the Bible is unknown to me. Anywho, there are sooo many more controdictions!!! Jesus said that by faith alone we are saved and that he is the one and only.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/23/05 at 5:42 pm

I have spent alot of time investigating Mormonism and have a best friend who is one. For half of this school year I went to Mormon seminary thinking it was just another form of Christianity but I was very wrong! They have such zeal and passion for God and are the nicest people you will ever meet but  they have twisted God's word and added things that completley controdict with what Jesus taught. Jesus was God in human form and came to save us but they think that they can become gods of their own planets and start their own "earth". In other words they believe in billions of Gods and believe that the god of the Bible was once a man on another planet. Where they find this in the Bible is unknown to me. Anywho, there are sooo many more controdictions!!! Jesus said that by faith alone we are saved and that he is the one and only.

Interesting.  I've said before I think Man was created by aliens and our "gods" are inflated versions of real, ancient ETs.  I don't believe in a (permanent) Heaven or Hell though or the "Made in God's Image" crap the bible-bangers throw around.  It's so bogus.

-FHF

Written By: Mister C on 02/23/05 at 11:17 pm

yes.

Written By: Missionary on 02/24/05 at 7:30 am

Interesting.  I've said before I think Man was created by aliens and our "gods" are inflated versions of real, ancient ETs.  I don't believe in a (permanent) Heaven or Hell though or the "Made in God's Image" crap the bible-bangers throw around.  It's so bogus.

-FHF

Sorry if I sound like a bible-banger but I don't see how your theory is any less bogus than the theory of heaven and hell. For some reason I can't help thinking you are being sarcastic about the whole alien thing  ??? Anyway, we obviously both belive that there is something "bigger than us" out there, it all just depends on how you view things. I find it more assuring to rely on a god who  has created us in his image, has unconditional love for us, is willing to die for us, and is always with us. How love, security, passion, etc. sounds bogus to you, I'm not sure. Us "bible-bangers" aren't trying to force our so called "uptight" and "bogus" views on others, we only share our beliefs so passionately because we want everyone to expierence the love and security that Jesus has provided.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/24/05 at 6:08 pm

Sorry if I sound like a bible-banger but I don't see how your theory is any less bogus than the theory of heaven and hell. For some reason I can't help thinking you are being sarcastic about the whole alien thing  ??? Anyway, we obviously both belive that there is something "bigger than us" out there, it all just depends on how you view things. I find it more assuring to rely on a god who  has created us in his image, has unconditional love for us, is willing to die for us, and is always with us. How love, security, passion, etc. sounds bogus to you, I'm not sure. Us "bible-bangers" aren't trying to force our so called "uptight" and "bogus" views on others, we only share our beliefs so passionately because we want everyone to expierence the love and security that Jesus has provided.

I respect your views :)  By bible-bangers I'm more talking the ones that force religion than all Christians, but the beliefs I listed many Christian believe, and I don't have a problem with it. 

On the alien thing, well, it just fits in with my experience.  That's all I'll say on that.  As for "Love, Security, Passion"?  I believe in God, but I see nothing "Loving" about creating animals as "slaves" to mankind, sending not only bad people but also nonbelievers to Hell, and destroying the Earth.  But's that's just my train of thought :)

-FHF  ;)

Written By: Missionary on 02/25/05 at 8:09 am

I understand your confusion about why God does the things He does because I struggle with questions like that too!! I wonder how God could be so mean. But, I don't think you realize that life isn't suppose to be easy to understand. If it was why would we need God? Stuggle and times of trouble enables us to grow closer to God personally, He shows us bluntly that we can not live without Him.

Ask God yourself about these questions, He wants you to come to Him and be honest about your anger, confusion, and doubt about Him. God wants you to be bluntly honest about everything, Job did, he yelled, aruged, and accused God out of distress, but God didn't mind. The more honest you are and the more time you spend with Him the more He will reveal answers to your questions and bless you!! ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...