» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The Meaning Of Life (pick up to five)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/22/05 at 1:30 am

I say Love, Happiness, Helping Others, and Fulfilling Your Dreams.

Subject: Re: The Meaning Of Life (pick up to five)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/22/05 at 1:35 am

is 42...sorry, couldn't resist :D

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/22/05 at 1:52 am

I say Love, Happiness, Helping Others, and Fulfilling Your Dreams.

I'd say I agree with that.

Written By: philbo on 02/22/05 at 2:03 am

is 42...sorry, couldn't resist :D

Well, technically that's the ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything, not the "Meaning of Life"... I went with the Python movie only: I don't believe there *is* any underlying meaning to life.

Written By: jaytee on 02/22/05 at 6:52 am

Love
Helping Others
Monty Python flick

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/22/05 at 12:07 pm

Love, Happiness, and Helping Others.

Tanya

Written By: Powerslave on 02/22/05 at 4:14 pm

All of those things are concepts that give meaning TO life. They aren't the meaning OF life. If they were, then dogs and cats and monkeys and elephants would all be speculating on the stockmarket and sending each other Valentines. Humans are the only creatures who contemplate the meaning of life, because we're the only ones to understand the concept of mortality. If we weren't aware of the fact that one day we're going to die, we'd never ask why we live in the first place.

Written By: McDonald on 02/22/05 at 5:28 pm

I can't see a tangible meaning to life. I just can't, no matter where I look... so I have stopped looking.

Written By: Missionary on 02/23/05 at 5:45 pm

Well I can't answer that but I am reading a book right now that explains the purpose of life very very well. I too am curious about that topic and have found that "A Purpose of a Driven Life" by Rick Warren does a great job of explaining. Please read it.....it has changed my entire outlook on life.  ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/23/05 at 6:28 pm

42!  ::)

Sorry.... couldn't help myself!  ;D

Written By: Paul on 02/23/05 at 6:51 pm

Once around the block and no more...so bloody well enjoy...!!

Oh, and a Python movie...!!

'Would zir care for a waffer-thin mint?'

Written By: Mister C on 02/23/05 at 11:16 pm

Get real. 

Written By: McDonald on 02/24/05 at 2:10 pm

Well I can't answer that but I am reading a book right now that explains the purpose of life very very well. I too am curious about that topic and have found that "A Purpose of a Driven Life" by Rick Warren does a great job of explaining. Please read it.....it has changed my entire outlook on life.  ::)

And Rick Warren should know!  ::)

Written By: Missionary on 02/24/05 at 7:45 pm

And Rick Warren should know!  ::)
\

;D Yeah my entry was kinda generic in explination, and I look back at it now and realize how bad it sounds, let me explain:

The book is written from what the Bible says the purpose of life is. It is hard to understand the Bible sometimes because of the parables, old English styles, etc. so he explains it in todays terms. It really helped me to understand God's purpose for my life, instead of me trying to figure it out. God gave us the answers in His word, most of us are just not aware of it and search all of our lives for the answers. We get to wrapped up on our views of God......but I think we should be more concerned about how God views us.

Hopefully I cleared that up,( I see more arguements coming about what I just said tough  ;))

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/26/05 at 4:41 pm

I was wondering if you were talking about the magazine or the cereal.  :D

I chose, Love, Happiness, Fullfilling your Dreams, Helping others, and a Monty Python movie.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/26/05 at 5:56 pm

A Monty Python movie is very much about the meaning of life, but I voted for love, happieness, helping others, and fullfilling your dreams.  I have, or have done all of them, and hope to continue doing so.  Good luck to you all.

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/26/05 at 11:17 pm

The first 5 items sum it up. 8)

Written By: Baby on 04/25/05 at 9:06 pm

Love, Happiness, and Helping others. :)

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/26/05 at 6:58 am

I'm at a loss for words on this question.
I just picked a monty python movie out of sheer confusion.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/26/05 at 3:29 pm

LOVE, dude.

Everything else emanates from that, so that is the only answer you need.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/26/05 at 4:52 pm

Ther is no "meaning of life" except to live.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/26/05 at 5:23 pm

^Ah, very true my friend. The meaning of life is indeed to live. But what is living to YOU? That is the important question. Its something different for everyone. Kind of like what Jack Palance was talking about in "City Slickers". Its weird to reference a comedy film for a philosophical point, but its true.

Written By: philbo on 04/28/05 at 5:06 pm

It's weird to reference a comedy film for a philosophical point, but its true.

Not weird at all, Alex: the best comedy (and City Slickers is definitely one of the better ones) often has a philosophical point to make.  Or possibly to make fun of, but hey, that's comedy, right?

Written By: darktower on 05/23/05 at 11:36 am

Sometimes I wonder if we're simply the raw materials for the real universe God is making. This would also perhaps shed light on the problem of evil: those who suffer the hottest temperatures and the hardest, most prolonged blows are being sculpted into something of indescribable beauty...

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/23/05 at 2:50 pm

Sometimes I wonder if we're simply the raw materials for the real universe God is making. This would also perhaps shed light on the problem of evil: those who suffer the hottest temperatures and the hardest, most prolonged blows are being sculpted into something of indescribable beauty...

I can't buy into that.  The God and the Goddess made what is, and gave us the terrible gifts of reason, free will, and self consciousness, setting us apart from the beasts of the fields.  Why?  As to evil, it is a thing of our invention.  I saw a cat yesterday eating what had been a Scarlet Taninger.  Was the cat evil?  No, it was "cat", neither good nor evil.  You see, without "good" there can be no "evil".  Its a dialectical relationship - opposits, neither of which could exist without the other.

Written By: darktower on 05/23/05 at 3:40 pm

I can't buy into that.  The God and the Goddess made what is, and gave us the terrible gifts of reason, free will, and self consciousness, setting us apart from the beasts of the fields.  Why?  As to evil, it is a thing of our invention.  I saw a cat yesterday eating what had been a Scarlet Taninger.  Was the cat evil?  No, it was "cat", neither good nor evil.  You see, without "good" there can be no "evil".  Its a dialectical relationship - opposits, neither of which could exist without the other.

If I understand you correctly, I agree with you--to a point, and in a highly nuanced way. If I may use the traditional Judeo-Christian symbols--God planted the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil in the Garden. He did this for a reason. He knew that we would partake; it fact, it was necessary that we do so, and that's probably why He forbade it ;D. You are correct that these are terrible gifts, but He (I use the masculine pronoun as a matter of historical and linguistic convenience) knows that they are teleologically necessary. Satan--the Accuser, the Prosecuting attorney--has access to God in Heaven; in fact, is one of His most trusted assisstants (cf. The Book of Job). If you invoke dialectic, then you know that thesis and antithesis create--synthesis. The Creation is a painting, not a movie. The darkness accentuates the light. Christ plus Judas equals Resurrection--in no other way is it possible, at least for our current state of consciousness.  --What the hell was I talking about...? :-\\

Written By: philbo on 05/23/05 at 4:59 pm

"Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper."
    - Cohen the Barbarian

Written By: EthanM on 05/23/05 at 5:04 pm

And he would know a lot about the meaning of life... having been alive for so long

Check for new replies or respond here...