» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: IT'S ALL A LIE

Written By: Leo Jay on 02/22/05 at 3:54 pm

It's ALL a lie, because none of it is true, in any absolute sense.

We believe whatever gives us a sense of meaning, purpose and empowerment in our lives.  That becomes our truth.  If another person's truth is not mine, that doesn't mean I have to belittle it.  Why should I try to demean them to justify some pathological need to hate/disrespect/dominate someone else? 

Justifying a hatred of Catholics, for example, with the assertion that specific Catholic priests did this or that horrible thing is just irresponsible -- an emotionally and intellectually lazy justification for anger that's looking for an outlet without taking responsibility for examining its source and/or venting itself in a constructive manner.  Sure, plenty of people who do terrible things are Catholic.  And Protestant.  And Agnostic.  And Jewish.  And Atheist.  And Muslim.  And Liberal.  And Conservative.  And Centrist.  And Black.  And Asian.  And White.  And on and on.  So what? 

There are, to be sure, those of us who believe that there's something inherently wrong with people who belong to some of these groups.  But those, I would hope, are the exceptions -- seriously damaged individuals desperately in need of intense psychotherapy, or perhaps excommunication from civilized society.

As for the rest of us, can we please make half an effort to start being more intellectually and ethically responsible towards our fellow human beings?  This world, if you haven't noticed, really is a fudgekin' mess, you know -- perhaps no worse than at any other point in human history... but that's not really saying a helluva lot.  We'll all be dead sooner or later, and in the end it won't really matter, but as long as we're here...

I'm not a hold hands and sing 'kumbaya' sort of guy -- I'm a New Yorker born and bred, so I can do the badassmuthafudgea thing toe-to-toe with anyone.  But the older I get, I think, "what the fukk, enough already....".  We can disagree without all the petty schitt and disrespect.

Subject: Re: IT'S ALL A LIE

Written By: philbo on 02/22/05 at 3:59 pm

^ WHS.

Written By: Powerslave on 02/22/05 at 4:02 pm

It's ALL a lie, because none of it is true, in any absolute sense.

We believe whatever gives us a sense of meaning, purpose and empowerment in our lives.  That becomes our truth.  If another person's truth is not mine, that doesn't mean I have to belittle it.  Why should I try to demean them to justify some pathological need to hate/disrespect/dominate someone else? 

Justifying a hatred of Catholics, for example, with the assertion that specific Catholic priests did this or that horrible thing is just irresponsible -- an emotionally and intellectually lazy justification for anger that's looking for an outlet without taking responsibility for examining its source and/or venting itself in a constructive manner.  Sure, plenty of people who do terrible things are Catholic.  And Protestant.  And Agnostic.  And Jewish.  And Atheist.  And Muslim.  And Liberal.  And Conservative.  And Centrist.  And Black.  And Asian.  And White.  And on and on.  So what? 

There are, to be sure, those of us who believe that there's something inherently wrong with people who belong to some of these groups.  But those, I would hope, are the exceptions -- seriously damaged individuals desperately in need of intense psychotherapy, or perhaps excommunication from civilized society.

As for the rest of us, can we please make half and effort to start being more intellectually and ethically responsible towards our fellow human beings?  This world, if you haven't noticed, really is a flippin' mess, you know -- perhaps no worse than at any other point in human history... but that's not really saying a helluva lot.  We'll all be dead sooner or later, and in the end it won't really matter, but as long as we're here...

I'm not a hold hands and sing 'kumbaya' sort of guy -- I'm a New Yorker born and bred, so I can do the badassmuthafudgea thing toe-to-toe with anyone.  But the older I get, I think, "what the whatever, enough already....".  We can disagree without all the petty sh** and disrespect.

Amen, brother.

Written By: philbo on 02/22/05 at 5:02 pm

Exactly what I'd expect from you.

Do you mean brevity (the soul of wit)... or just plain laziness?

Written By: McDonald on 02/22/05 at 5:45 pm

So far, it seems, you're preaching to the choir. Couldn't agree with you more.

Written By: MooRocca on 02/22/05 at 6:09 pm

Ditto Lee. 

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/22/05 at 7:01 pm

What does WHS stand for?

Written By: Powerslave on 02/22/05 at 7:22 pm

What does WHS stand for?

What He Said

Written By: Bobby on 02/22/05 at 7:37 pm

Absolutely well said. That is what life is about.  :)

Written By: Leo Jay on 02/22/05 at 7:43 pm

Do you mean brevity (the soul of wit)... or just plain laziness?

Efficiency of communication, I guess.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/22/05 at 8:21 pm

Efficiency of communication, I guess.

No, that's crap.  You have since deleted that post, and by the way it was worded, you thought Philbo attacked you.

Written By: Bobby on 02/22/05 at 8:30 pm

No, that's crap.  You have since deleted that post, and by the way it was worded, you thought Philbo attacked you.

;)

Check for new replies or respond here...