» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Should cat declawing be legal?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/03/05 at 7:03 pm

I say no, its cruel.  Part of the cat's toes are actually removed and there's lifelong pain. Not worth it, even to save a couple grand worth of furniture.  :\'(

Subject: Re: Should cat declawing be legal?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/03/05 at 11:34 pm

as a total cat lover...i would have to say no....it is rather painful for the cat to go through....i mean, I sure wouldn't like to have my fingernails ripped from out of my fingers...that just wouldnt be cool!!!!

Erin  :)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/03/05 at 11:39 pm

as a total cat lover...i would have to say no....it is rather painful for the cat to go through....i mean, I sure wouldn't like to have my fingernails ripped from out of my fingers...that just wouldnt be cool!!!!

Erin  :)

Have any pet cat/kittens?  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/03/05 at 11:55 pm

Have any pet cat/kittens?  :)

Yes Devo...I have two cats....they are sooo sweet and special to me......they always know when I am in a sad mood....always there..cheering me up... here's a pick of them...the white one's name is Anna and the brown one's name is Ophelia (although we call her Kit-Kat, Kitty, or KiKi)LOL!

Erin :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/04/05 at 12:52 am

Your poll options are totally biased.  I said yes, it should be legal, but not because of the cat's well being isn't "priceless," but because I don't want yet another law on the books micromanaging our decisions.

Don't get me wrong.  I love cats.  I think declawing cats is cruel.  How would you like it if somebody cut off your fingers to keep you out of trouble?  The whole idea of declawing makes me sick.  I just think a legislative decision is dubious.

Written By: Powerslave on 03/04/05 at 7:18 am

If people looked after their cats properly, occasionally trimmed their claws and gave them a scratching post to use and trained them to use it, they wouldn't need to declaw them at all.

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/04/05 at 9:45 am

While I agree with that assestment, some cats will find a way to damage personal property even when well-manicured. And a lot of cats don't like scratching posts. Better to humanely declaw a cat than to put him down and pay for the damage later. (P.S.: Decalwing is not as painful to a cat is it seems.)
If people looked after their cats properly, occasionally trimmed their claws and gave them a scratching post to use and trained them to use it, they wouldn't need to declaw them at all.

Written By: Leo Jay on 03/04/05 at 9:58 am

It's extremely difficult for me to believe so many vets would do it if it caused long term discomfort.  Can't the cat be anesthetized during the procedure? 

I can understand the argument that it's an unfair thing to do to an outdoor cat.  But a law?  No.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/04/05 at 12:06 pm

A long time ago, I had 4 cats and a waterbed. My ex and I decided to have the cats declawed because of the waterbed. I made a deal with my cats, if I took their claws, I would take care of them for life and they wouldn't have to worry about anything. Well, all 4 of them are now in "Kitty Heaven" and all of them lived a long and happy life. (They were all between 15-18 years when I lost them). When I was down to the last one (Brandy), we got a little kitten (Electra)  who was a farel cat and had a wild streak to her. Since the old cat was declawed, we felt it would be fair to her to get the little one declawed too. (The waterbed is no longer an issue.) Once again, I made that deal with her-I would take care of her for life. Then we got Andy-who was an older cat and had his claws. At first we were a bit worried about his claws with Brandy since the two of them didn't get along very well. We learned we had nothing to worry about. After their many fights, Andy (the big fat cat with claws) would be cowering in a corner while Brandy (the small thin cat who was declawed) would be towering over him. We know who was dominate. So today, one cat is declawed and one isn't. Andy doesn't seem to use his claws in aggression but I think if Electra had them, she would. So it is a good thing that she doesn't have them or my arm would be very scratched up.  If I got another cat would I have it declawed? I don't know. I think it would depend on the cat.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/04/05 at 1:51 pm

Cat, the other white meat ( ;))  Like Cat said, we love our 2 little felines, but since they are both inside cats, I see no problem.  Outside cats are another story.

Written By: AL-B on 03/04/05 at 1:59 pm

Cats use their claws to defend themselves, and to take that away from them is cruel. If someone can't handle claws then they have no business owning a cat.

I also think dog and cat deballing should be illegal as well.  Is this really the way to treat "man's best friend?" Why can't people just give their pets vasectomies instead?!?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/04/05 at 3:59 pm

Your poll options are totally biased.  I said yes, it should be legal, but not because of the cat's well being isn't "priceless," but because I don't want yet another law on the books micromanaging our decisions.

Don't get me wrong.  I love cats.  I think declawing cats is cruel.  How would you like it if somebody cut off your fingers to keep you out of trouble?  The whole idea of declawing makes me sick.  I just think a legislative decision is dubious.

Good point, my poll is biased.  I guess I just feel strongly on this issue.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/04/05 at 6:14 pm

it's true that it is totally uncalled for when it comes to outdoor cats...that's their only means of defense against everything!! I can totally understand the reasoning for doing it......I currently have a couch that looks like sheesh because of one of my little darlings.....i don't condemn anyone for choosing to declaw...I was just stating my opinion...that's all. One of my cats happens to already be declawed (front paws only..from a former owner)....it was funny...we had a mouse in our house 2 weeks ago...and she tried so hard to claw at it....but of course....there were no claws there....so stuart little got away!! LOL!!

Written By: Leo Jay on 03/04/05 at 6:46 pm

Which raises an important ethical question: does a cat's right to keep her claws trump a mouse's right to life?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/04/05 at 6:48 pm

FYI, when a cat is declaw USUALLY it is only the front paws. I have NEVER heard of the back claws being removed. I know there are many vets who will NOT do the back the claws.

Cat

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/04/05 at 6:55 pm

quirky, your cat Anna looks EXACTLY like my cat Mr.Whiskers.  :o

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/04/05 at 6:57 pm

quirky, your cat Anna looks EXACTLY like my cat Mr.Whiskers.  :o

awww that's awesome!!

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/05/05 at 12:29 am

I'm a cat lover myself. I love all pets. I couldn't give my cat to be declawed unless it was necessary and it was done humanely with sodium pentathol. Of course, any anesthesia can kill if too much is inserted or there's a bad reaction to it. I hope I never need to decide on declawing my own cat (if I still had one.)

Written By: Bauble on 03/05/05 at 8:18 am

No, its cruel

How could anyone do that?

Written By: Snuff on 03/06/05 at 7:51 pm

I have kitties! They're pretty and I love them. They don't scratch, but some cats do. And that's not cool, those things hurt like crap, man! I saw leave it up to the owners.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/07/05 at 1:04 am

Can a cat's claws be clipped?  If a cat's claws could be clipped, like one clips fingernails, you could get the claws clipped periodically.  To removed the entire claw seems damaging and traumatic.

I guess clipping would be more expense and trouble than it's worth.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/07/05 at 10:57 am

yes...they can be trimmed!

:) Erin

Written By: Mona on 03/07/05 at 11:30 am

Can a cat's claws be clipped?  If a cat's claws could be clipped, like one clips fingernails, you could get the claws clipped periodically.  To removed the entire claw seems damaging and traumatic.

I guess clipping would be more expense and trouble than it's worth.
They can be trimmed and you can do it yourself so it's not expensive, but you really have to keep up on it.  We had to do our cat's about once every 10 days.
I was checking into declawing when I found out how painful it is for them and decided against it.  The article also said Canada and the US are the only countries where it is still legal.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/07/05 at 11:36 am

I vote no...
I got an idea.... let's remove the finger nails of anyone who passes this law, see how they like it!  >:(

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/07/05 at 1:36 pm

I vote no...
I got an idea.... let's remove the finger nails of anyone who passes this law, see how they like it!  >:(

Good idea  ;)  Seriously, though, I think any doctor who endorses cat declawing should lose their license and get some major prison time  >:(  Declawing your cat is cowardly and mean.

Written By: Leo Jay on 03/07/05 at 2:08 pm

Good idea  ;)  Seriously, though, I think any doctor who endorses cat declawing should lose their license and get some major prison time  >:(   Declawing your cat is cowardly and mean.

The fact remains that cats ruthlessly and willfully kill simply for sport.  A cat's claws are no more valuable than a mouse's life.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/07/05 at 2:09 pm

The fact remains that cats ruthlessly and willfully kill simply for sport.  A cat's claws are no more valuable than a mouse's life.

Good point, but it's a natural things cats do.

Written By: Leo Jay on 03/07/05 at 2:39 pm

Good point, but it's a natural things cats do.

Hello?  Since when do human beings surrender to the 'natural' course of things?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/07/05 at 4:25 pm

I don't think declawing is all cats need to be worrying about:

http://www.local6.com/family/4258907/detail.html

Written By: Apricot on 03/07/05 at 5:10 pm

My God, is this guy for real?

Written By: shiprunner12 on 03/07/05 at 6:44 pm

I don't agree with shooting domestic cats, but I don't think that declawing cats should be illegal.  My cat is declawed and he was only in a little bit of pain for a couple of days. He was a stray kitten that probably would have died on his own. We got him declawed so we could keep him and so that he wouldn't screw up our furniture. If you have an outside cat though you should definitely leave their claws in for protection. Also, if you all think declawing them is so cruel, what about getting your pets "fixed". I'm sure that would probably be a bit more painful.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/07/05 at 7:54 pm

Open season on domestic cats?  That man is insane. 

Written By: Apricot on 03/07/05 at 9:34 pm

Cats are animals, and hurting animals is wrong.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/07/05 at 9:35 pm

I don't agree with shooting domestic cats, but I don't think that declawing cats should be illegal.  My cat is declawed and he was only in a little bit of pain for a couple of days. He was a stray kitten that probably would have died on his own. We got him declawed so we could keep him and so that he wouldn't screw up our furniture. If you have an outside cat though you should definitely leave their claws in for protection. Also, if you all think declawing them is so cruel, what about getting your pets "fixed". I'm sure that would probably be a bit more painful.

In the short run being fixed might, but I've heard the pain of declawing may never totally go away.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/07/05 at 9:35 pm

Cats are animals, and hurting animals is wrong.

I agree :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/07/05 at 10:35 pm

Cats are animals, not people.  To say they "willfully kill simply for sport" is to anthropomorphisize them.  A cat doesn't have a human sense of intent or self-examination.

Written By: Mare on 03/08/05 at 2:31 am

I Agree, why mutillate an animal on the grounds that they are not in the same league as humans.

Written By: Leo Jay on 03/08/05 at 9:56 am

Cats are animals, not people.  To say they "willfully kill simply for sport" is to anthropomorphisize them.  A cat doesn't have a human sense of intent or self-examination.

Well, it's not really anthropomorphizing to observe that they kill because they deliberately set out to do so.  By 'willfully', I just mean that it's not accidental. And by 'for sport', obviously I don't mean that they're mounting the head on the wall of the lodge and bragging to their buddies about how 'Mickey thought he could outrun me, but I showed the sonofabitch'.  I just mean they don't need to do it to survive.

::)

Wiseass.

Written By: Mona on 03/08/05 at 1:42 pm

Sometimes they do need to do it to survive.  We had cats when we lived out in the country and we fed them but not as much as you would a house cat.  We wanted them to keep down the mice population in the fields near our house.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/19/05 at 1:14 pm

Your poll options are totally biased. I said yes, it should be legal, but not because of the cat's well being isn't "priceless," but because I don't want yet another law on the books micromanaging our decisions.

Don't get me wrong. I love cats. I think declawing cats is cruel. How would you like it if somebody cut off your fingers to keep you out of trouble? The whole idea of declawing makes me sick. I just think a legislative decision is dubious.
Yes but if declawing is kept legal IT WILL NEVER STOP and MORE CATS WILL HAVE THE CRUEL ACT FOIST UPON THEM BY HEARTLESS PEOPLE!!!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/19/05 at 1:22 pm

I don't agree with shooting domestic cats, but I don't think that declawing cats should be illegal. My cat is declawed and he was only in a little bit of pain for a couple of days. He was a stray kitten that probably would have died on his own. We got him declawed so we could keep him and so that he wouldn't screw up our furniture. If you have an outside cat though you should definitely leave their claws in for protection. Also, if you all think declawing them is so cruel, what about getting your pets "fixed". I'm sure that would probably be a bit more painful.
It changes them MENTALLY....Many times declawed cats turn to BITING to protect themselves or fend off annoying people...When I was in another mental-health program,the staff made me get my first cat,Sylvester,declawed after he made ONLY A FEW SCRATCH MARKS on some furniture..and I was not told about the ALTERNATIVE of claw caps...

There are alternatives to declawing such as having caps put on the claws...

Written By: McDonald on 03/19/05 at 1:42 pm

I htink it should remain legal, mainly because it's just ridiculous to criminalise it. I'd rather have a 1000 cats declawed than see one baby or small child clawed in the face for not understanding that a cat is a natural born killer.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/19/05 at 6:04 pm

I htink it should remain legal, mainly because it's just ridiculous to criminalise it. I'd rather have a 1000 cats declawed than see one baby or small child clawed in the face for not understanding that a cat is a natural born killer.

Using that logic, should all rattlesnakes be caught and devenomized?  Should alligators have their teeth plucked out?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/19/05 at 6:05 pm

cats are just little people with fur....so leave them the hell alone!!

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/19/05 at 6:07 pm

cats are just little people with fur....so leave them the hell alone!!

I agree they are sentient beings worthy of respect, but be careful not to equate them to humans: I'm not saying they're inferior, I'm just saying we must understand and respect that they think and feel their own way.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/19/05 at 6:08 pm

oh no...by no means was I trying to put them on the level of a human....I happened to hear that quote somewhere before and I thought that it was really cute......beings that I am a cat lover, etc....

Written By: McDonald on 03/19/05 at 6:46 pm

Using that logic, should all rattlesnakes be caught and devenomized?  Should alligators have their teeth plucked out?

That's just foolish and spurious. First off, who said 'all cats must be declawed'? Only if the owner deems it necessary should it be done, of course. Which brings me to my next point. None of the animals you cited are domestic creatures, they all live in the wild and should be left undisturbed. Now say a couple owns a cat as a pet and gets the cat declawed when they find out they are about to have a baby... Bad decision? Cruel? No, it's a completely sensible thing to do.

If cat declawing were outlawed, those parents would not have the choice to take preventative measures. If their kid gets scratched because he doesn't know not to mess with little kitty, there is little they could have done about it. And like I said before, I would rather see a thousand cats declawed before seeing one child getting scratched in the face by the family pet because the government demanded that the cat keep its claws. Let's face it, the scenario I created is absolutely plausible and is exactly the reason why many cats do get declawed. In fact, when my nephew was born, my parents decided to get Pookie, our cat, declawed. Good thing too, because he was a curious and rambunctious little guy -to say the least.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/20/05 at 4:39 pm

That's just foolish and spurious. First off, who said 'all cats must be declawed'? Only if the owner deems it necessary should it be done, of course. Which brings me to my next point. None of the animals you cited are domestic creatures, they all live in the wild and should be left undisturbed. Now say a couple owns a cat as a pet and gets the cat declawed when they find out they are about to have a baby... Bad decision? Cruel? No, it's a completely sensible thing to do.

If cat declawing were outlawed, those parents would not have the choice to take preventative measures. If their kid gets scratched because he doesn't know not to mess with little kitty, there is little they could have done about it. And like I said before, I would rather see a thousand cats declawed before seeing one child getting scratched in the face by the family pet because the government demanded that the cat keep its claws. Let's face it, the scenario I created is absolutely plausible and is exactly the reason why many cats do get declawed. In fact, when my nephew was born, my parents decided to get Pookie, our cat, declawed. Good thing too, because he was a curious and rambunctious little guy -to say the least.
Did you know that cats who are declawed tend to BITE as a means of self-defense....I am not lying,that IS what happens IN MANY CASES when the cat is ROBBED of its claws....not to mention it can't even scratch itself if it gets an itch....it's like a quadriplegic who can't scratch their nose if they get an itch...

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/20/05 at 5:34 pm

Oh, I see.  ;)  A bit anthropocentic, but I understand.  If so, it should only be done as a last resort.  But I don't think people with little babies should get kitties if they can't keep em away from their kid.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/20/05 at 6:29 pm

Did you know that cats who are declawed tend to BITE as a means of self-defense....I am not lying,that IS what happens IN MANY CASES when the cat is ROBBED of its claws....not to mention it can't even scratch itself if it gets an itch....it's like a quadriplegic who can't scratch their nose if they get an itch...

Cats scratch with their back claws. As I said in a previous post, most vets WILL NOT declaw the back claws of a cat. Every cat that I ever had that was declawed, ALWAYS had their back claws. I can't say too much about biting because the cats that I had that were declawed was never in a self-defense position. They were all indoor cats.

Cat

Written By: McDonald on 03/20/05 at 6:32 pm

I remember when our puppy Simba, a little pomeranian, would try and mess with our declawed cat, Pookie, she would just slap the shhh out of him with her paws... and it worked. Now, if she had claws in those paws, god knnows what may have happened to Simba. All I'm saying is that from first hand experience, a declawed cat live his/her life just fine. Pookie's still alive after.... it must be sixteen years, and still going strong.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/20/05 at 8:26 pm

I remember when our puppy Simba, a little pomeranian, would try and mess with our declawed cat, Pookie, she would just slap the shhh out of him with her paws... and it worked. Now, if she had claws in those paws, god knnows what may have happened to Simba. All I'm saying is that from first hand experience, a declawed cat live his/her life just fine. Pookie's still alive after.... it must be sixteen years, and still going strong.
If a cat has to scratch their face....I don't mean between the ears where the hind legs can reach...they must use their front claws.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/20/05 at 8:37 pm

All I am trying to say is there are alternatives to declawing that are less painful for the cat while preventing damage to furniture...or people. Soft paws/claw caps DO work and are not as costly as declawing.

My Sylvester ended up with arthritis in his front paws...but I think it was from old age...and he had it in his hips too I think...he would cry out a lot....He lived to be FOURTEEN despite having chronic FUS...he was a brave,gentle,and beautiful cat,also a true friend to all people he welcomed into his life.

Written By: McDonald on 03/20/05 at 9:14 pm

You actually had a nice cat? Wow. Pookie, Cody (rest her fat soul, she was FAT and so so fluffy), and Oslo are/were all bitchy... but I like that because I can't give an animal my undivided attention for more than ten minutes at a time anyway. Cats can take care of themselves, that's why they're superior to dogs, IMHO. In any case, I can't stand pets. If I ever get another pet, it will be a rabbit or something. No more cats or dogs.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/22/05 at 5:23 pm

All I can say is that I will never have my Cat(woman) declawed. 

Written By: Mistress Leola on 03/22/05 at 5:54 pm

As if the choice were yours...  ::)
:P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/22/05 at 7:06 pm

;)  :-* :-* :-*

Cat

Written By: Marian on 03/23/05 at 3:24 pm

While I agree with that assestment, some cats will find a way to damage personal property even when well-manicured. And a lot of cats don't like scratching posts. Better to humanely declaw a cat than to put him down and pay for the damage later. (P.S.: Decalwing is not as painful to a cat is it seems.)
We used to have declawed cats,but don't get them declawed anymore because they need to protect themselves from dogs(face it--sometimes dogs need to "learn a lesson")the ones we had that were declawed didn't act any different.If you have a cat that';s a "slasher",sometimes declawing will save it.Cheers!

Written By: mr.smith s on 03/23/05 at 9:44 pm

Don't own a cat if you don't want to get clawed.  Don't buy expensive furniture if you own a cat.  Realize these facts.  Of course it should be illigeal to declaw cats. 

Written By: McDonald on 03/23/05 at 10:59 pm

Don't own a cat if you don't want to get clawed.  Don't buy expensive furniture if you own a cat.  Realize these facts.

I don't think either of those sentences qualifies as a fact. If you want to criminalise a socially and medically acceptable practice among pet owners, you'll have to find better and more conclusive "facts" than those, I'm afraid.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/25/05 at 10:33 pm

Wake up,pal. This is the nasty truth about declawing...http://cats.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=cats&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.declawing.com

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/25/05 at 10:35 pm

My Tika will never,EVER be without her claws....

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/25/05 at 10:37 pm

I say 'no'.  Cats need their claws for lots of reasons.

Written By: Marian on 03/26/05 at 4:59 pm

:oMaybe,but children still need to leasrn that animals don't tolerate abuse--if a kid pulls kitty's tail,he'll get scratched.He has to learn not to pull kitty's tail.

Written By: McDonald on 03/28/05 at 12:38 am

I understand that, but there is a difference between a moral discussion of cat declawing and a legal one.  A society can't go banning everything that gets one group of people upset. Some cat owners need their cat's decalwed. Sure kids need to learn that they ought not toy with kitty, but cat's can make that known by slapping and hissing... not to mention that any cat I've ever seen can bolt out of dodge like lightening. In terms of the law at least, cats are not as important as people.

A cat's scratch can do more to a kid than draw blood, it can spread disease. If a small child gets attacked by a cat for whatever reason, it can scar him emotionally for life. I realise that there are "alternatives" and "precautions" for every issue surrounding this, but it's not your place nor the government's charge to make those decisions FOR people. Cat's are not people, if their owners decide on spaying/neutering or declawing, it's their unique set of circumstances that need to be considered and it's their choice. What you're proposing is that choice be taken away.... well if that happens you can add that one to the pile of other choices no one has anymore because people can't realise that leading by example is more democratic than dictating.

If you love cats and you are opposed to declawing, then lead by example.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/28/05 at 6:03 am

I understand that, but there is a difference between a moral discussion of cat declawing and a legal one. A society can't go banning everything that gets one group of people upset. Some cat owners need their cat's decalwed. Sure kids need to learn that they ought not toy with kitty, but cat's can make that known by slapping and hissing... not to mention that any cat I've ever seen can bolt out of dodge like lightening. In terms of the law at least, cats are not as important as people.

A cat's scratch can do more to a kid than draw blood, it can spread disease. If a small child gets attacked by a cat for whatever reason, it can scar him emotionally for life. I realise that there are "alternatives" and "precautions" for every issue surrounding this, but it's not your place nor the government's charge to make those decisions FOR people. Cat's are not people, if their owners decide on spaying/neutering or declawing, it's their unique set of circumstances that need to be considered and it's their choice. What you're proposing is that choice be taken away.... well if that happens you can add that one to the pile of other choices no one has anymore because people can't realise that leading by example is more democratic than dictating.

If you love cats and you are opposed to declawing, then lead by example.
What if a declawed cat...that is NOT yours....attacks you or your child? Ask any KNOWLEDGEABLE authority on cats....they will tell you that many DECLAWED cats tend to be very much on the defensive...BITING is worse than just scratching...much more of a chance of the bite becoming infected....and waay more traumatizing to a child...and sometimes adults too...Like I said before,I'll never declaw my cat,Tika....1)she does not lash out with her claws and 2)furniture can usually be repaired,refinished,or replaced....a cat's trust in it's humans cannot.

Written By: jiminy on 03/28/05 at 6:15 am

Not if he doesn't play rough  :)

Written By: Mona on 03/28/05 at 6:44 am

Here's an alternative that a vet came up with.

http://www.softpaws.com/

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/28/05 at 11:08 am

oh my gosh...those are sooo darling!!! and you can even get them in an assortment of colors...I think this is a GREAT idea...rather then declawing....this man's a genius!!
....oh and my cat would looking smashing in the hot pink ones!! ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/28/05 at 12:01 pm

If a cat is anything like mine, I hate to see someone who just tried to put those things on  :o

Cat

Written By: Marian on 03/28/05 at 3:16 pm

What if a declawed cat...that is NOT yours....attacks you or your child? Ask any KNOWLEDGEABLE authority on cats....they will tell you that many DECLAWED cats tend to be very much on the defensive...BITING is worse than just scratching...much more of a chance of the bite becoming infected....and waay more traumatizing to a child...and sometimes adults too...Like I said before,I'll never declaw my cat,Tika....1)she does not lash out with her claws and 2)furniture can usually be repaired,refinished,or replaced....a cat's trust in it's humans cannot.
:PActually kids are much more likely to give each other diseases through bites and sctraches than a cat does,because they have more bacterria that can cause disease in humans.

Written By: Mona on 03/29/05 at 8:43 am

If a cat is anything like mine, I hate to see someone who just tried to put those things on  :o

Cat
That's exactly what I thought when I read it.  I suppose it wouldn't be too much harder than clipping, but definately a two person job.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/29/05 at 1:02 pm

That's exactly what I thought when I read it.  I suppose it wouldn't be too much harder than clipping, but definately a two person job.

I usually have the vet cut my cats claws. Not a fun job to say the least.

Cat

Written By: Marian on 03/29/05 at 2:36 pm

I usually have the vet cut my cats claws. Not a fun job to say the least.

Cat
My cats do it.

Written By: Alicia on 03/29/05 at 10:46 pm

Being a woman I think my parents should have declawed me...as for kitties...yes they should but only if they are house cats its very sad when you play with them then they get hurt because their claws get stuck on whatever they are playing with..but outside kitties...no they shouldnt...they have to fend for themselves and so thus they need claws to be top cat

Written By: Marian on 03/30/05 at 4:18 pm

Being a woman I think my parents should have declawed me...as for kitties...yes they should but only if they are house cats its very sad when you play with them then they get hurt because their claws get stuck on whatever they are playing with..but outside kitties...no they shouldnt...they have to fend for themselves and so thus they need claws to be top cat
We used to hgave a declawed cat.He wouldn't get hurt--he would beast the dog's head like a drum!But we don;t declaw them anywZay.

Check for new replies or respond here...