» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: US Senate votes to keep Canada's beef out of America

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/04/05 at 12:19 am

Maybe a little payback for the whole missile-defense flip-flop?

U.S. Senate votes against reopening border to Canadian cattle
CBC
March 03, 2005

Canada's cattle industry suffered another blow Thursday after American senators voted to quash the U.S. department of agriculture's policy to reopen the border to Canadian beef next week.

Despite the Senate's 52-46 vote, the White House said U.S. President George W. Bush would veto the measure if it ever reaches his desk. Bush favours the reopening of the border.

The U.S. banned Canadian cattle imports in May 2003 when mad cow disease was discovered in a Canadian cow.

U.S. Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said he was disappointed with the Senate vote.

"Today's action undermines the U.S. efforts to promote science-based regulations, complicates U.S. negotiations to reopen foreign markets to U.S. beef and would perpetuate the economic disruption of the beef and cattle industry," he said in a release.

"I will now work with the U.S. House of Representatives to prevent passage of this resolution, which is strongly opposed by the Bush Administration, and continue our aggressive efforts to reopen international markets to U.S. beef."

Full story: http://www.cbc.ca/storyview/MSN/world/national/2005/03/03/senate-madcow050303.html

Subject: Re: US Senate votes to keep Canada's beef out of America

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/04/05 at 12:22 am

::)

Probably more to do with health concerns.

Oh, and go Canada on the missle defense thing! Almost as cool as Spanish President Zapatero withdrawing from Iraq. Fight the hegemon!  8) ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/04/05 at 12:47 am

::)

Probably more to do with health concerns.

Oh, and go Canada on the missle defense thing! Almost as cool as Spanish President Zapatero withdrawing from Iraq. Fight the hegemon!  8) ;D

Amen to that!
:)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/04/05 at 8:51 am

there's been a call-to-arms by the cattle industry to get as much beef over the border as they can. bus loads of canucks are heading towards selected points along the border. there mission: to throw over as much fine canadian beef over the border as humanly possible to eager american customers.

my buddies and i are dusting off our catapult we once used during the beavergate debacle of '95 and rushing to the manitoba/north dakota border. our grade-A, mad cow infested beef will be delivered!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/04/05 at 9:15 am

mad cow infested beef will be delivered!

Yes, please keep it.  Our trade deficit is big enough without Canada's mad cow beef.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/04/05 at 11:06 am

I am pretty certain that this won't be the end of it.

Written By: AL-B on 03/04/05 at 11:51 am

Just as long as we can still have their tasty "back bacon."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/04/05 at 12:12 pm

http://www.usatvads.net/assets/images/wendys.jpg
;D ;D ;D

Written By: AL-B on 03/04/05 at 1:22 pm

;D ;D ;D

They sure do have some tiny cows in Canada!

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/04/05 at 1:56 pm

Woooo.. let's keep national pride high by making sure those farmers go hungry this year!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/05/05 at 2:17 am

Before anybody writes it, the vote came from pretty much all the US Senate's 44 democrats and the midwestern republicans who want to protect their state's cows.  This was not a republican thing (so Canadians can't complain about those "horrible" republicans.)

Believe it or not I agree with the democrats and the midwest republicans.  Paul Martin went back on his word about the missile-defense program which 53% of Canadians outside of Quebec support.  Also they didn't help out in Iraq.  And, like I already wrote above, our trade deficit is big enough with more imports from Canada.  I want American beef.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/05/05 at 2:20 am

;D ;D ;D

I remember that old Wendy's commercial.

"Where's the beef!?"

Check for new replies or respond here...