» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Teen protests pledge being said in different languages

Written By: Jessica on 03/11/05 at 4:44 am

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. :P  What the hell is wrong with people?

http://www.theksbwchannel.com/education/4271509/detail.html

Subject: Re: Teen protests pledge being said in different languages

Written By: UKVisitor on 03/11/05 at 8:49 am

People need to worry about things that really matter. Life must be too good for these kids an their parents if this is the only thing they feel is worthy of protest - lucky devils  ;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/11/05 at 3:53 pm

People need to worry about things that really matter. Life must be too good for these kids an their parents if this is the only thing they feel is worthy of protest - lucky devils  ;D

Such utter nonsense.  Our troops overseas would fare much better if they knew a few words in the lingua franca where they were stationed.  Knowledge of languages other than English in this country is abysmal and that has often gotten us into trouble.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/11/05 at 5:33 pm

Such utter nonsense. Our troops overseas would fare much better if they knew a few words in the lingua franca where they were stationed. Knowledge of languages other than English in this country is abysmal and that has often gotten us into trouble.

Sé. :(

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/11/05 at 5:34 pm

And Maryland must have a lot of morons. 56% answered that the Pledge should only be in English.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/11/05 at 8:42 pm

Honestly, I see their point. No other country changes their doctrines, songs, or whatever to accomodate us. Americans are always accomodating others. I can't see the point of the Pledge being spoken in different languages, especially when those who immigrate here must learn it in English.

Tanya

Written By: UKVisitor on 03/11/05 at 10:39 pm

Hi Tanya - I don't think it was done as an anti-english language thing. Th eidea would surely re0inforce the importance of the pledge. To hear and understand it in many other languages would be surely a beautiful thing. The Bible was originally written in Aramaic (I believe) and for many years only read and spoken in Latin, but since it was translated into English and into every other language of the world, it dd not lose any of its importance and impact to either the reader or the listener to the faithful?

Written By: danootaandme on 03/12/05 at 7:43 am

Honestly, I see their point. No other country changes their doctrines, songs, or whatever to accomodate us. Americans are always accomodating others. I can't see the point of the Pledge being spoken in different languages, especially when those who immigrate here must learn it in English.

Tanya

They were only doing it for one week for goodness sake.  They weren't "changing their doctrines, songs or
whatever" to accomodate anyone.  They said the pledge in English and then in one other language each day.  I say absolutely fabulous learning experience that may even inspire a latent linguist or two. 

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/12/05 at 12:06 pm

Personally I think our students should learn multiple foreign languages from Kindergarten up like they do in Europe. I think Monolingualism can limit a child's learning and education in certain aspects, and can hinder their ability to deal with a changing and globalizing world. Plus, multilingualism is the norm for most of the world's people. So the argument many here use against it as being "unnatural" is just silly.

Thats part of why I want to homeschool my kids. I'm going to raise them to be bi-lingual English and Spanish-speaking, and I will also teach them at least two(or perhaps 3) other languages throughout their years of schooling. These others, I wouldn't have them be FLUENT in necessarily(like in Spanish, where they'd essentially be native speakers since I plan to teach them to know Spanish from a baby on up, alongside English), but you know, be able to read and write it, have a basic understanding of how the grammar works, and enough to where they could get around if they went to a country that speaks it.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/12/05 at 3:06 pm

Personally I think our students should learn multiple foreign languages from Kindergarten up like they do in Europe. I think Monolingualism can limit a child's learning and education in certain aspects, and can hinder their ability to deal with a changing and globalizing world. Plus, multilingualism is the norm for most of the world's people. So the argument many here use against it as being "unnatural" is just silly.

Thats part of why I want to homeschool my kids. I'm going to raise them to be bi-lingual English and Spanish-speaking, and I will also teach them at least two(or perhaps 3) other languages throughout their years of schooling. These others, I wouldn't have them be FLUENT in necessarily(like in Spanish, where they'd essentially be native speakers since I plan to teach them to know Spanish from a baby on up, alongside English), but you know, be able to read and write it, have a basic understanding of how the grammar works, and enough to where they could get around if they went to a country that speaks it.

Muy bien, companiero, y buena suerte.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/12/05 at 3:12 pm

Muy bien, companiero, y buena suerte.

Gracias. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/12/05 at 8:33 pm

I think you should be allowed to say the Pledge in any tongue you can speak.  If you can't, then America's not much a "free" country now is it?

Written By: McDonald on 03/15/05 at 6:28 pm

All this despite the fact that the United States has no official language. English is our de facto language only because that has always been the language of the overwhelming majority of Americans. These kids are idiots, and so are the parents who are encouraging it.

Written By: AL-B on 03/15/05 at 7:56 pm

I think you should be allowed to say the Pledge in any tongue you can speak.  If you can't, then America's not much a "free" country now is it?
I dunno. If someone recited the Pledge in German while shouting at the top of their lungs I'd be a little uncomfortable.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/15/05 at 8:00 pm

I dunno. If someone recited the Pledge in German while shouting at the top of their lungs I'd be a little uncomfortable.

;D

AMERIKA UBER ALLES!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/15/05 at 9:52 pm

You teutonophobe!

Check for new replies or respond here...