» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Is it me or is this contrey getting to conservite

Written By: 90s boy on 03/13/05 at 2:47 am

i say this because people make such a big deal about things like nudity sex and violence more today then they did back in the 90's  80's and the 70's i just nodiced that becaus of the who superbolw thing and the comcral for desprite house wifes when she's in the locker room and she says forget about football and drps her towle and u dont even see anything and that was so shocking and such lol  people made such a big deal about it when it was rellay nothing bad  ;D ;D ;D ;D

just my opion say what u want and yes im a bad speller and we dont need to go back to that again lol ;D ;D ;D

Subject: Re: Is it me or is this contrey getting to conservite

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/13/05 at 2:53 am

Yes, your spelling is atrocious!

I would like to answer, but in order for me to say what I've got to say, this thread should be on the politics board.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/13/05 at 2:57 am

i say this because people make such a big deal about things like nudity sex and violence more today then they did back in the 90's  80's and the 70's i just nodiced that becaus of the who superbolw thing and the comcral for desprite house wifes when she's in the locker room and she says forget about football and drps her towle and u dont even see anything and that was so shocking and such lol  people made such a big deal about it when it was rellay nothing bad  ;D ;D ;D ;D

just my opion say what u want and yes im a bad speller and we dont need to go back to that again lol ;D ;D ;D

Personally, I think the violence thing is a bigger deal today because kids have killed other kids trying to imitate things they saw on TV (even if they didn't mean to kill), even things like wrestling moves have caused death.

Sex is glamorized on TV and movies, and therefore supposedly encourages youngsters to have sex...

Although I think violence and sex on movies/tv do contribute to the problems, I think the bigger problem is that in most households both parents work and there is less time to explain to their children the difference between tv and real life... in many cases, the tv is like an "electronic parent" in that it keeps the child in one place, occupied while parents do other things...

Nudity, however, (i know im gonna hear it for this one...) is different in my opinion.  Seeing a person nude but not in a sexual context... example, a scene from a movie where someone gets out of the shower and gets dressed, is fine for me.  It is acceptable to show a woman's breast in an educational program about early childhood.. as in breastfeeding... maybe more exposure to nudity on tv would curb the curiosity in teenagers that drive them to want to see it in real life... but not in a sexual, sensual or glamorized way... just in the ordinary get out of the shower, change your clothes, get out of bed to answer the phone kind of way...

Written By: ADH13 on 03/13/05 at 2:59 am

I would like to answer, but in order for me to say what I've got to say, this thread should be on the politics board.

You think?  Even though he used the term conservative..er..conservite, I took it to be more about tv and movies than real politics... i could be wrong on that tho...

Written By: 90s boy on 03/13/05 at 3:01 am

I don't see what this has to do whth politics???

Written By: ADH13 on 03/13/05 at 3:06 am

The word "conservative" generally refers to politics... i think thats where the confusion is

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/13/05 at 3:09 am

The powers that be, politically, set the political mood of the government.  If the government is turning politically conservative, media outlets feel pressure to "clean it up" lest they be fined.
Think of the stupid ridiculous big deal this country made about the Janet Jackson Superbowl incident.  Look at the legislative action taken recently on indecency fines.
You bet the content of what you see on TV is political!

Written By: ADH13 on 03/13/05 at 3:13 am

The powers that be, politically, set the political mood of the government.  If the government is turning politically conservative, media outlets feel pressure to "clean it up" lest they be fined.
Think of the stupid ridiculous big deal this country made about the Janet Jackson Superbowl incident.  Look at the legislative action taken recently on indecency fines.

Well, I think if non-sexual nudity were more mainstream, the janet jackson thing wouldn't have been a big deal at all.... in fact, she probably wouldn't have done it...

Written By: ADH13 on 03/13/05 at 3:19 am

I agree... but I don't think this topic was inappropriate here... since the main subject was tv and movies... but anyways... not that important.. wherever it ends up is fine for me =)

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/13/05 at 8:16 am

Well, I don;t know if this is being conservative or not, but...

-I don't want kids to be seeing Janet Jackson's right boob displayed provocatively at the Super Bowl.  If it were a show on breast cancer, that's a whole nother thing.

-I don't want our kids hearing about how women are b*tches and wh*res by rappers on TV.

-I'd prefer to NOT have the gross gay (and straight for that matter) double-entendres that you hear on shows like Will and Grace.

TV of the 1990's and 2000's has become coarse and profane and in many cases completely lacking an any class whatsoever.  All done to titillate.  And yes, watched and consumed by the masses.

Of course the First Amendment guarantees much of this stuff but I wonder why so many media people feel that this is the only way to get ratings.  ???

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/13/05 at 8:28 am

yes, your country has become extremely anal.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/13/05 at 11:33 am

Yes we're getting too conservative, and no I don't like it. A lot of other people don't like it either, you could see that in the politics board.

Written By: 90s boy on 03/13/05 at 12:53 pm

Well, I don;t know if this is being conservative or not, but...

-I don't want kids to be seeing Janet Jackson's right boob displayed provocatively at the Super Bowl.  If it were a show on breast cancer, that's a whole nother thing.

-I don't want our kids hearing about how women are b*tches and wh*res by rappers on TV.

-I'd prefer to NOT have the gross gay (and straight for that matter) double-entendres that you hear on shows like Will and Grace.

TV of the 1990's and 2000's has become coarse and profane and in many cases completely lacking an any class whatsoever.  All done to titillate.  And yes, watched and consumed by the masses.

Of course the First Amendment guarantees much of this stuff but I wonder why so many media people feel that this is the only way to get ratings.  ???

well your have a good pont but there are some shows and tv chanles that you could wach that are for younger kids and such and you should monter what your kid waches and about the whole Janet Jackson u saw the brest for like only 2 seconds and becomes a biger deal wehn u see pictures of it all over the papers but i think it was a stupet thing for her to do just to get her new alubem selling good  >:(

Written By: 90s boy on 03/13/05 at 12:59 pm

Yes we're getting too conservative, and no I don't like it. A lot of other people don't like it either, you could see that in the politics board.

lol my teacher tolde me that if you say fu*k on that radio or ewhat ever you'll get fined $50'000 >:( which is stupid because you have a chose what you wanna listing to and that's kinda going ageist free Speech >:(

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/13/05 at 2:48 pm

lol my teacher tolde me that if you say fu*k on that radio or ewhat ever you'll get fined $50'000 >:( which is stupid because you have a chose what you wanna listing to and that's kinda going ageist free Speech >:(

Yeah, but do you know that words like f*** are NOT actually protected by the first amendment, things that are considered obscene are not protected by the first amendment, but things that are considered Indecent are (with certain restrictions).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/13/05 at 2:54 pm

I have said this many times before, I would rather see nudity and sex than violence. Nudity is a natural state. We were all born nude despite what some fundamentalist may think. Sex-if it is between two consenting adults can be a beautiful thing. Violence, however is NEVER beautiful. I was watching CNN where they were talking about that kid who committed a murder because he played Grand Theft Auto everyday and the argument was that this kid was basically trained to kill from this video game. For one thing, where were his parents to ALLOW him to play such a game? Which brings up my next point. Parents really need to monitor what their kids are watching-more so than they did in the past. When I was going up, there were 7 channels we got on t.v. That was more than most people because we had all the NYC channels. In other areas, I'm sure they only had 4. Today, there are I don't know how many channels, with cable and satellite dishes-more choices but also more to monitor. There is also the internet. I think that parents need to watch what their kids are watching. As an adult, I don't need or want anyone in Washington telling me what I can and can't watch. But I think parents need to do that.

Cat

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/13/05 at 2:58 pm

Read the goals of communism as defined by Herlong of Florida in the house of representatives in 1963.  http://www.uhuh.com/nwo/communism/comgoals.htm

Read the goals numbered 24 and 25.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/13/05 at 2:59 pm

I have said this many times before, I would rather see nudity and sex than violence. Nudity is a natural state. We were all born nude despite what some fundamentalist may think. Sex-if it is between two consenting adults can be a beautiful thing. Violence, however is NEVER beautiful. I was watching CNN where they were talking about that kid who committed a murder because he played Grand Theft Auto everyday and the argument was that this kid was basically trained to kill from this video game. For one thing, where were his parents to ALLOW him to play such a game? Which brings up my next point. Parents really need to monitor what their kids are watching-more so than they did in the past. When I was going up, there were 7 channels we got on t.v. That was more than most people because we had all the NYC channels. In other areas, I'm sure they only had 4. Today, there are I don't know how many channels, with cable and satellite dishes-more choices but also more to monitor. There is also the internet. I think that parents need to watch what their kids are watching. As an adult, I don't need or want anyone in Washington telling me what I can and can't watch. But I think parents need to do that.

I agree it's better for kids not spend a lot of time playing violent video games, but I'm not ready to cede responsibility for violence to video games.  If kids become violent it is because a whole lot of other things have gone awry.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/13/05 at 3:01 pm

Cat

I agree with you 100% on the nudity portion of your answer.. but I think sex is still a little wrong for kids to be watching... I agree that sex is a beautiful thing between consenting adults, but I also feel it makes teens want to do it... which unfortunately leads to pregnancy and disease... I would feel better if a sex scene featured the man putting on a condom... but i doubt a movie would show that..

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/13/05 at 3:06 pm

I agree with you 100% on the nudity portion of your answer.. but I think sex is still a little wrong for kids to be watching... I agree that sex is a beautiful thing between consenting adults, but I also feel it makes teens want to do it... which unfortunately leads to pregnancy and disease... I would feel better if a sex scene featured the man putting on a condom... but i doubt a movie would show that..

I didn't say that kids should be watching it. Maybe I should have made a point of that in my last post. However, I would rather kids see sex than violence-but, again, I don't think that kids SHOULD see it until they are old enough.

Cat

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/13/05 at 3:08 pm

It depends on what kind of nudity were talking about, do I think graphic sex acts should be shown on national tv, no. Occasional breast or rear end, yea I'd be ok with that. I still don't see the big deal about Janet's boob being exposed for 1.5 seconds or whatever, the camera was so far away you really couldn't make out anything on the tv anyway. Now when the media and government blew it out of proportion and posted close up photos from every angle possible, well then you could make it out obviously. Yahoo had numerous close ups of the uncensored boob online, now you know how many kids use yahoo.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/13/05 at 3:09 pm

Read the goals of communism as defined by Herlong of Florida in the house of representatives in 1963.  http://www.uhuh.com/nwo/communism/comgoals.htm

Read the goals numbers 24 and 25.

Yeah, and numbers 26 and 27.

26. Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as "normal, natural, healthy."

27. Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with "social" religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity which does not need a "religious crutch."

And thanks for introducing everyone to that paranoid old tweaker, Judge Herlong.

I notice this 50 gripe-long plen-T-plaint is virtually the same one used by the Right today.  The playbook has changed.  Instead of Soviet, Communism, and Russia, they say Islamofascists, liberals, and France!

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/13/05 at 3:32 pm

Read the goals numbered 24 and 25.

I'd just like to know where her Herlong got ahold of these.  Maybe he was a member of the International, or the CPUSA?  Typical right-wing paranoia.  It really amazes me that facists are so uptight about sex.  One would think that they would recognize the advantages of "bread and circuses" and want to provide as many forms of distraction as possible.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/13/05 at 4:20 pm

Learn to spell decently enough so I can read your original post without getting a headache, and then I will answer.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/13/05 at 4:23 pm

Learn to spell decently enough so I can read your original post without getting a headache, and then I will answer.

LOL

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/05 at 4:24 pm

There is always spellchecker!

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/13/05 at 5:02 pm

There is always spellchecker!

For him. ;)

Written By: ADH13 on 03/13/05 at 5:14 pm

Ok. Spelling Lesson  :)

Subject Line:
contrey = country
to = too
conservite = conservative

Body:
more today then = more today THAN
nodiced = noticed
becaus = because
who = whole
superbolw = Super Bowl
comcral = commercial
desprite = desperate
house wifes = housewives
drps = drops
towle = towel
rellay = really
opion = opinion

There's a test on Friday lol

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/13/05 at 6:16 pm

I didn't say that kids should be watching it. Maybe I should have made a point of that in my last post. However, I would rather kids see sex than violence-but, again, I don't think that kids SHOULD see it until they are old enough.

Cat

Me too.  Legal sexual activity is less bad than violence to show on TV.  I mean what's worse, seeing someone's privates or seeing someone's liver?  See what I'm saying?

As for illegal sexual activity, I find it as or more disturbing than most violence, except brutal killing.  Although nudity is funny  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/13/05 at 6:41 pm

Me too.  Legal sexual activity is less bad than violence to show on TV.  I mean what's worse, seeing someone's privates or seeing someone's liver?  See what I'm saying?

As for illegal sexual activity, I find it as or more disturbing than most violence, except brutal killing.  Although nudity is funny  ;D

I am saying with two consenting adults-which is legal.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 03/13/05 at 7:45 pm

Cat

I have to disagree with you, Cat.  I was born fully clothed...head to toe. ;)

I agree that it all comes back to parents.  Kids need to have what they watch or play monitored.  You can't scream that a video game made them do it when you let them play the game.  If you are going to buy a game or movie for the kids you need to know what you are buying.  Young children need supervision and guidance into becoming a decent human being.  They aren't born that way.  Face it, we are all born with only our needs in mind...our parents tought us that there were others in the world to think about, too.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/13/05 at 8:09 pm

I am saying with two consenting adults-which is legal.

Cat

I know :)  I was just giving my two cents, not implying you meant anything you didn't :)

I have little problem with sex on tv as long as it encourage behaviour damaging in any way.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/13/05 at 8:12 pm

Come on guys, give 90s boy a break.  Nitpicking for spelling might make one think you don't really have a legit argument for the subject. Not saying you don't, but it makes one look clueless stooping to that level.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/13/05 at 8:17 pm

Come on guys, give 90s boy a break.  Nitpicking for spelling might make one think you don't really have a legit argument for the subject. Not saying you don't, but it makes one look clueless stooping to that level.

I wouldn't have commented on the spelling at all, except that in his original post he jokes about it himself... with smileys...

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/13/05 at 8:18 pm

I wouldn't have commented on the spelling at all, except that in his original post he jokes about it himself... with smileys...

Got it.  But I think he put it there just so others would feel less of a need to point it out.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/13/05 at 8:22 pm

Got it.  But I think he put it there just so others would feel less of a need to point it out.

Well incase of any misunderstanding, I didn't mean anything offensive by it... was just playing on his original joke about it...

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/13/05 at 8:23 pm

Well incase of any misunderstanding, I didn't mean anything offensive by it... was just playing on his original joke about it...

I see :)  Hope I didn't make you feel shame :)

-DR

Written By: UKVisitor on 03/13/05 at 8:47 pm

I don't know id its just me or was anyone else disgusted by the amount of bush and gore on TV during the 2000 (and even the 2004 elections). Nobody seemed to complain  8)

But seriously folks - Janet Jacksons titty is not going to cause the children of america to turn into degenerate drug abusers and perverts. And if you want to to talk about double-entendres and sexual innuendo then you guys really seem to love Benny Hill long after he was kicked off UK screens in the 1970s for being, well, not exactly politically correct. I just think he's not very funny.

And yes spelling does matter to some extent. Typos and difficult words fair enough but, ya know, if you're going to use a completely unique language all of your own making then its hard for people to know what ya saying,  ;)

Written By: ADH13 on 03/13/05 at 8:54 pm

I don't know id its just me or was anyone else disgusted by the amount of bush and gore on TV during the 2000 (and even the 2004 elections). Nobody seemed to complain  8)

I'm not sure what you mean by "on tv".  Are you referring to the debates??  I don't get disgusted by the debate, I think they are very important.

The advertisements and the B.S. that has nothing to do with the election is a different story.  The stuff about Bush not reporting for duty and about Kerry not deserving his purple heart got old real fast.

Written By: UKVisitor on 03/13/05 at 9:12 pm

Ah sorry... umm, being a bit too subtle here I feel. 'bush' (slang for *ahem* well...) and 'gore' = violent bloodshed. Just a joke.  :-\\

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/13/05 at 9:14 pm

Ah sorry... umm, being a bit too subtle here I feel. 'bush' (slang for *ahem* well...) and 'gore' = violent bloodshed. Just a joke.  :-\\

lol

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/14/05 at 12:25 am

Come on guys, give 90s boy a break. Nitpicking for spelling might make one think you don't really have a legit argument for the subject. Not saying you don't, but it makes one look clueless stooping to that level.

I'm sorry but I cannot let spelling that horrendous go by uncriticized. Look, I am not a RIGID grammar Nazi, but, his spelling errors were bad to the extent they deserved to be pointed out. It depresses me that someone could have that bad of a spelling problem, and be past..oh, say, the 5th grade. I looked at his profile..16 years old. I'm afraid for the future of literature in this country. *shakes head*

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/14/05 at 12:27 am

I'm sorry but I cannot let spelling that horrendous go by uncriticized. Look, I am not a RIGID grammar Nazi, but, his spelling errors were bad to the extent they deserved to be pointed out. It depresses me that someone could have that bad of a spelling problem, and be past..oh, say, the 5th grade. I looked at his profile..16 years old. I'm afraid for the future of literature in this country. *shakes head*

Yeah I'm not sure why his spelling is so bad. Maybe English isn't his first language, I don't know. If it is, then he should consider some English tutoring, because he's going to have a tough time going through life with spelling that bad.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/14/05 at 2:08 am

I'm not sure what you mean by "on tv".  Are you referring to the debates??  I don't get disgusted by the debate, I think they are very important.

The advertisements and the B.S. that has nothing to do with the election is a different story.  The stuff about Bush not reporting for duty and about Kerry not deserving his purple heart got old real fast.

Yeah, but it suuure did the job!

(Armageddon did the job/
Gog and Magog

--Allen Ginsberg)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/14/05 at 11:14 am

I don't say a word about someone's bad spelling because I am not a great speller myself. I also know a certain college professor who seems to be a worse speller than I am (not to mention a terrible typist)  ;)  But, I love him anyway.  :-*

I don't know id its just me or was anyone else disgusted by the amount of bush and gore on TV during the 2000 (and even the 2004 elections). Nobody seemed to complain 8)

LMAO. Yes, I was dsigusted by the whole thing.  ;)

Cat

Written By: karen on 03/14/05 at 11:54 am

I thought it was v funny

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/14/05 at 2:15 pm

24. Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them "censorship" and a violation of free speech and free press.

25. Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio, and TV.

I am offically scared, and glad to be living in Canada, for now...  ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/14/05 at 2:17 pm

As for my answer... yeah America is becoming too conservative.

"But think of the children!"  ::)

Written By: 90s boy on 03/21/05 at 1:53 am

lol yea i enjoyed all your comments about my spelling if u wanna know why i spell bad is because i go to a school were they don't teach me anything really and sometimes i type too fast and not look at what im typeing lol ;D

buthkrvfywvfdhchjavdhsdvkajcvasdhcvhjsdvfjqevfjkqguiogfuiogfivbvfkuivgfudgevsdfjlwvfhjwvfhjcvhjwvchj

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: 90s boy on 03/21/05 at 1:57 am

As for my answer... yeah America is becoming too conservative.

"But think of the children!"  ::)

back in 2004 someone fliped out because Vogue magzeen showed a naked little girl standing on a stool in the bath room it wasent even porngraphy it was more art it was a fancy add for something

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/21/05 at 4:50 pm

<begin sarcasm>

Yes, killing, torturing little Middle Eastern people is perfectly normal ('cause they aren't real people) but showing off your body is a huge no-no and might scar anyone who sees it for life.  :P

<end sarcasm>

Written By: 90s boy on 03/28/05 at 5:06 am

24. Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them "censorship" and a violation of free speech and free press.

25. Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio, and TV.

I am offically scared, and glad to be living in Canada, for now...  ::)

lol luckey u im starting to hate it hear  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: 90s boy on 03/28/05 at 5:12 am

lol i kida posted this one late yea thats why i post that cause my spelling is bad and it's much better to do it that way then snaping at people ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/05 at 5:54 am

lol i kida posted this one late yea thats why i post that cause my spelling is bad and it's much better to do it that way then snaping at people ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Have you ever thought about making an improvement on your spelling?

Written By: 90s boy on 04/01/05 at 3:36 pm

Have you ever thought about making an improvement on your spelling?

lol i just dont use spell cheack that much because it takes forever to load on my computer and thanks 4 not dissing really bad me like most people to >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/05 at 3:38 pm

lol i just dont use spell cheack that much because it takes forever to load on my computer and thanks 4 not dissing really bad me like most people to >:(
Please just ignore the pleas for better spelling. It is a habit of Dave Brown.

Written By: 90s boy on 05/30/05 at 9:12 am

Please just ignore the pleas for better spelling. It is a habit of Dave Brown.

lol nm i got a new computer so i am using the spell check now so no more complaning about my spelling lol ;)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/30/05 at 6:21 pm

lol nm i got a new computer so i am using the spell check now so no more complaning about my spelling lol ;)
You spelt "complaining" wrong.  ;) ;D ::) 8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/05 at 7:04 pm

You spelt "complaining" wrong.  ;) ;D ::) 8)

Funny, there's a spellcheck right on the bottom of the screen.  Or maybe as the Brits say, a "spelt" check.

Check for new replies or respond here...