» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: California judge strikes down state law barring same-sex marriage

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/14/05 at 4:26 pm

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=1&u=/ap/20050314/ap_on_re_us/gay_marriage

Any thoughts on this breaking news.

Subject: Re: California judge strikes down state law barring same-sex marriage

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/14/05 at 4:29 pm

YES! :)

A victory for the 13th Ammendment. Just like back in the 50s/60s, no matter how hard bigots fight against equal rights, no matter how much noise they make, no matter if even the majority support them..when you are right, and determined, you'll win in the end. The Constitution is behind them(the gay rights advocates).

For all those assundry, the 13th Ammendment guarantees equal rights and protection under the law.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/14/05 at 4:32 pm

I sure do loves me some judicial activism!

What I like most about it is that it will give Conservative Republicans higher blood pressure!
;)

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/14/05 at 4:39 pm

I personally could care less if homosexuals marry, it's between them and I don't think of it as any of my concern. If that's what they want to do, let them do it, this is America. They aren't hurting anybody by what they're doing, so who cares.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/14/05 at 4:40 pm

What I like most about it is that it will give Conservative Republicans higher blood pressure!
;)

Not all of 'em, Maxwell.  I have nothing against gay marriage.  It doesn't hurt anyone, in my opinion.  Sorry to disappoint you but my blood pressure is just fine  :)

Written By: ADH13 on 03/14/05 at 4:44 pm

I would really like someone to explain to me what the big friggin deal is???  Would 2 homosexuals getting married actually HARM anyone?  No.  And, don't give me "marriage is traditionally between a man and a woman" crap.  There are many things that have been traditionally one way or another that have been changed.

Crazymom, I agree 100% even though I am Conservative and Republican.  We are not all completely hard-headed, ya know.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/14/05 at 4:59 pm

Oh please.  The marriages haven't started yet and won't until the other side runs out of appeals and the attorney general of the state of California (who is opposed to gay marriage) says the California Supreme Court will ultimately have the final say on this.  The California Supreme Court is very conservative, believe it or not, and is the same court that stopped San Francisco from giving out anymore marriage permits to same-sex couples and even voided them about six months later.  This doesn't concern me in the least bit.

Written By: EthanM on 03/14/05 at 5:08 pm

this is a little off topic but - GWB what's that flag you have as your avatar?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/14/05 at 5:15 pm

this is a little off topic but - GWB what's that flag you have as your avatar?

The current flag of the state of Georgia.

Written By: UKVisitor on 03/14/05 at 7:19 pm

Why do you care GW? They can't breed so its not like a super-race of gays are going to invade your neighbourhood redecorating and co-ordinating as they go while the music of classic broadway shows echoes through the night.

Marriage is a contract between two people that provides certain rights and obligations to each party; at a romantic level it is a way for two people to declare their love for each other. It wasn't so long ago - and it still goes on today - that inter-religious and inter-racial marriages were frowned upon if not outright banned.

Lets concentrate legislation on stopping people hating and hurting each other eh?

Actually, when it comes to hating and hurting, having seen some of my friends 'marriages' I think an outright ban on marriage per se might cut the murder rate in half  ;)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/14/05 at 7:22 pm

Why do you care GW?

What are you talking about?  I didn't post this thread.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/14/05 at 7:35 pm

I think this is great. I hope that someday gays will be able to marry legally everywhere and people will look back at this time and wonder what the big deal was (like interracial relationships). 

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/15/05 at 4:49 pm

What are you talking about?  I didn't post this thread.

True enough, but you have, on many occasions, expressed your disdain for same sex marriages.

I think this is great. I hope that someday gays will be able to marry legally everywhere and people will look back at this time and wonder what the big deal was (like interracial relationships).

I hate the idea.  Its "yucchy" - just kidding.  Why should any of us care?  If its Adam and Eve, Eve and Simone, or Adam and Bob, I would prefer lasting, commited relationships over promisucuous one night stands (not that I haven't sown some "wild oats") just in terms of health concerns and social stability. 

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...