» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The fat American, huh?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/15/05 at 11:50 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/story/0,11381,1438700,00.html

Subject: Re: The fat American, huh?

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/16/05 at 12:02 am

Yeah, obesity is a problem in a lot of places, not just America.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/16/05 at 12:04 am

It's funny how Italians are always perceived to be fat, yet they aren't even on that list.

Written By: jiminy on 03/16/05 at 12:19 am

watch the movie "Super Size Me"
It's the American food companies that make Americans fat, food and drug companies are two of your biggest lobbyist in Washington. All you need to do is watch the nightly news and during commercial breaks there are mostly adds from drug companies. Don't you find it a little strange how all these "Wonder Drugs" have all these unwanted side effects? Well unwanted for the consumer but not the drug company, the drug company can now sell you a second drug to combat the unwanted side effect and all you need to do is go see your doctor with a problem and my bet is he will be more then willing to put you on one of these drugs  ;) The food companies on the other hand put man made chemicals in almost everything we eat go look on about any food package you have, you will see MSG as an ingredient in almost everything, also you will see artificial colours. Now look at anything that is sweet, it will contain corn syrup, what the hell is corn syrup? It's the cheapest sweetener they can find, the cheaper they make your food the more profits these companes make. The food companies want you fat and addicted to their foods, with so many unknown chemicals in our processed food, would it be hard to believe that maybe one of these chemicals might be there for the sole purpose to get you addicted? Why are the prices much higher on organically prepared foods? The answer is because it costs more to produce but there is also the unwanted chemicals in such foods and the meats are not feed growth hormones

Written By: ADH13 on 03/16/05 at 12:37 am

watch the movie "Super Size Me"
It's the American food companies that make Americans fat, food and drug companies are two of your biggest lobbyist in Washington. All you need to do is watch the nightly news and during commercial breaks there are mostly adds from drug companies. Don't you find it a little strange how all these "Wonder Drugs" have all these unwanted side effects? Well unwanted for the consumer but not the drug company, the drug company can now sell you a second drug to combat the unwanted side effect and all you need to do is go see your doctor with a problem and my bet is he will be more then willing to put you on one of these drugs  ;) The food companies on the other hand put man made chemicals in almost everything we eat go look on about any food package you have, you will see MSG as an ingredient in almost everything, also you will see artificial colours. Now look at anything that is sweet, it will contain corn syrup, what the hell is corn syrup? It's the cheapest sweetener they can find, the cheaper they make your food the more profits these companes make. The food companies want you fat and addicted to their foods, with so many unknown chemicals in our processed food, would it be hard to believe that maybe one of these chemicals might be there for the sole purpose to get you addicted? Why are the prices much higher on organically prepared foods? The answer is because it costs more to produce but there is also the unwanted chemicals in such foods and the meats are not feed growth hormones

The fast food companies are not entirely to blame... I am a fast-food-a-holic, I eat fast food for lunch almost every day and I don't gain weight.  The difference between me and other fast food eaters, though, is I like my food plain.  A burger, for example, is a beef patty, cheese and a bun.  I don't like mayonnaise, mustard, sour cream, guacamole, ranch dressing, onions, etc.  I honestly don't know WHY I don't gain weight, but I thought maybe that might have something to do with it, since it is an unusual eating pattern I have...

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/16/05 at 12:45 am

The fast food companies are not entirely to blame... I am a fast-food-a-holic, I eat fast food for lunch almost every day and I don't gain weight. The difference between me and other fast food eaters, though, is I like my food plain. A burger, for example, is a beef patty, cheese and a bun. I don't like mayonnaise, mustard, sour cream, guacamole, ranch dressing, onions, etc. I honestly don't know WHY I don't gain weight, but I thought maybe that might have something to do with it, since it is an unusual eating pattern I have...

From what you have said about your health habits I'd imagine your thinness has nothing to do with your own merit; its genes.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/16/05 at 2:58 am

Where goes Ronald McDonald there goes the waistline!
I like a Happy Meal, it's better than borscht, comrade.

Thought you were making an anagram up there, anyway.  Like mine:
RUSH LIMBAUGH =
MR. GLIB U.S.A., HUH?
:D

Written By: Jessica on 03/16/05 at 4:29 am

The fast food companies are not entirely to blame...

You're right about that. I hate to say it, but the big fast food companies don't hold guns to people's heads to make them eat there. That's why I get slightly ticked when a person who is overweight sues a fast food company for making them fat. :P

And for the record, I'm not skinny, but I'm not whining about it either. Possibly because I eat right and exercise. I suggest the whiny fata$$es who sue companies do it sometime. ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 03/16/05 at 8:19 am

You're right about that. I hate to say it, but the big fast food companies don't hold guns to people's heads to make them eat there. That's why I get slightly ticked when a person who is overweight sues a fast food company for making them fat. :P

Exactly.  I get sick of fast food getting the blame.  People aren't forced to eat there.  In fact, if more people ate healthy I am willing to bet there wouldn't be so many fast food restaurants.  They might all go out of business.

Written By: jiminy on 03/16/05 at 9:58 am

Exactly.  I get sick of fast food getting the blame.  People aren't forced to eat there.  In fact, if more people ate healthy I am willing to bet there wouldn't be so many fast food restaurants.  They might all go out of business.
it's still no excuse to load the food with chemicals to enhance the flavour, go to your local grocery shop and buy some ground beef and try to make a homemade McDonalds burger, it won't taste nothing like a McDonalds burger but if you add some MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) you will come closer to the taste.

Written By: jiminy on 03/16/05 at 10:05 am

McDonald's Hamburgers

1 pound ground chuck (80% lean)
10 hamburger buns (local grocery type)
10 hamburger dill slices (more or less to taste)
10 teaspoons dried, chopped (not minced) onions
Mustard
Ketchup
Salt, Pepper, and MSG

Divide 1 lb of beef into 10 equal sized balls. Form a patty out of
each ball about 4 inches in diameter and 1/4 inch thick. Do this
on waxed paper. Now freeze the patties for at least an hour
(this keeps them from falling apart when grilled).
Combine dried onions with water in a small container. Add enough
water so the onions can hydrate (You can't add too much, just be
sure to drain well before using).
Preheat a griddle or skillet to medium−high. In the meantime,
toast the hamburger buns until just golden.
Lay the frozen patties on the hot surface. After about 20 seconds,
"sear" them by applying even pressure with the back of a metal
spatula; do this only for about 2 seconds. After searing them,
sprinkle generously with salt, pepper, and MSG to taste.
After about one minute since searing the patties, turn them over.
Careful, don't tear the side you seared. Add about a teaspoon of
your prepared onions on top.
Quickly dress your buns. On the crown part of buns (top),
Mustard first....five "kisses" the diameter of a pencil evenly
spaced in a circle about a half inch from the edge. Then the Ketchup,
five squirts the size of a nickle.. in the pattern found on dice.
Place the pickle in the middle.
By the time you finish that, the meat will be done (about 1 minute
or 1:10 after turning). Remove the meat and tilt to the side to allow
excess fat to drain off. Use your free hand to hold down the onions.
Place patties onion side up on the dressed crown, top with toasted
heels (the burger will be upside−down). Flip upright and serve.

Written By: McDonald on 03/16/05 at 11:38 am

I like a Happy Meal, it's better than borscht, comrade.

LMAO!  ;D

Brilliant.

Written By: McDonald on 03/16/05 at 11:39 am

You guys are making me real hungry for a burger.  :-[

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/16/05 at 11:52 am

I really don't like fast food-and out of all of them, Mickey D's is the worst. If I have to, I perfer Wendy's. But I must admit that I do like their egg mcmuffins but I can only get that in the mornings. On our last trip across country, we stopped at a McDonld's for breakfast. We were standing in line and they just switched over to lunch-so we couldn't get what we went in there for. So we left-and went across the street to a better restaurant. Sometimes I have no choice. There have been situations where McDonald's is the ONLY place to eat-like at rest areas on toll roads, airports, malls, etc. That's what really bothers me. So in that sense, sometimes you are FORCED to eat it-or go hungry.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/17/05 at 4:49 pm

McDonald's Hamburgers

Mustard
Ketchup
Salt, Pepper, and MSG

Why would anyone WANT to make a MickyD burger?  My home made ones are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better.

Written By: jiminy on 03/17/05 at 8:16 pm

Why would anyone WANT to make a MickyD burger?  My home made ones are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better.

I downloaded an ebook that had imitation recipes from restaurants and they listed McDonald's hamburgers, maybe someone might want to make homemade happy meal  ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 03/18/05 at 12:08 am

I eat alot of fast food, but I don't like McDonalds hamburgers.  To me they taste like cardboard.  Since I don't use mayo, mustard, etc, I can actually TASTE the meat.  McDonalds has good fries, but I never eat their hamburgers.

Written By: philbo on 03/18/05 at 6:49 pm

One reason I'm quite looking forward to getting over to the US at some point is to see what McD's burgers are like over there: I mean, they've *got* to be better than the junk-laden I'm-sure-there's-some-meat-in-here-somewhere brownish flat things that look nothing whatsoever like the ads...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/18/05 at 7:12 pm

You guys are making me real hungry for a burger.  :-[

There's nothing like a good burger.  There's a a great little burger joint in my town (Fatzo's) where they make the patties fresh (not frozen and reheated).  There are other places where they make 'em fresh, but they're full-service restaurants where you feel obliged to buy a full meal and a couple of beers!  Fatzo's is just a burger stand where you can nip in for a burger made to your liking, and be out of there in 15 minutes!

Written By: ADH13 on 03/18/05 at 7:27 pm

It seems to me that EVERYTHING is said to be "bad for you" in one way or another.

A real hamburger is : beef, bread, cheese (made from milk, which does the body good), lettuce, tomato, pickle

Pizza is: bread, tomato, cheese (again, made from milk), varied toppings which are mostly vegetables and meat

If sweets are bad, salty is bad, red meat is bad, protein is bad, carbs are bad, cholesterol is bad, fat is bad, caffeine is bad... that doesn't leave much...

Written By: whitewolf on 03/18/05 at 8:05 pm

McDonald's Hamburgers

Mustard
Ketchup
Salt, Pepper, and MSG

Divide 1 lb of beef into 10 equal sized balls. Form a patty out of
each ball about 4 inches in diameter and 1/4 inch thick. Do this
on waxed paper. Now freeze the patties for at least an hour
(this keeps them from falling apart when grilled).
Combine dried onions with water in a small container. Add enough
water so the onions can hydrate (You can't add too much, just be
sure to drain well before using).
Preheat a griddle or skillet to medium−high. In the meantime,
toast the hamburger buns until just golden.
Lay the frozen patties on the hot surface. After about 20 seconds,
"sear" them by applying even pressure with the back of a metal
spatula; do this only for about 2 seconds. After searing them,
sprinkle generously with salt, pepper, and MSG to taste.
After about one minute since searing the patties, turn them over.
Careful, don't tear the side you seared. Add about a teaspoon of
your prepared onions on top.
Quickly dress your buns. On the crown part of buns (top),
Mustard first....five "kisses" the diameter of a pencil evenly
spaced in a circle about a half inch from the edge. Then the Ketchup,
five squirts the size of a nickle.. in the pattern found on dice.
Place the pickle in the middle.
By the time you finish that, the meat will be done (about 1 minute
or 1:10 after turning). Remove the meat and tilt to the side to allow
excess fat to drain off. Use your free hand to hold down the onions.
Place patties onion side up on the dressed crown, top with toasted
heels (the burger will be upside−down). Flip upright and serve.

you forgot to add the protein worms, that's why I don't eat at McDonalds

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/18/05 at 8:11 pm

It seems to me that EVERYTHING is said to be "bad for you" in one way or another.

A real hamburger is : beef, bread, cheese (made from milk, which does the body good), lettuce, tomato, pickle

Pizza is: bread, tomato, cheese (again, made from milk), varied toppings which are mostly vegetables and meat

If sweets are bad, salty is bad, red meat is bad, protein is bad, carbs are bad, cholesterol is bad, fat is bad, caffeine is bad... that doesn't leave much...

For a long time soy products were considered a panacea.  Now some or other healthnut claims to have found evidence that too much soy gives one cancer.  
See, that's why I find people like Andrew Weil so unbearable.  We can't all be big-bearded nutritionists with more money than God.  It got to a point in the '90s where you couldn't eat a bag of chips in Northampton (Massachusetts, that is) without some sandal-wearing carrot juice-drinker coming up and lecturing you about the "free radicals."
George Orwell pointed out way back in the 1930s that it is the food crank's raison d'etre to "add another five years to his carcass."  Mind, you Orwell smoked cigarettes rolled with his favorite cheap tobacco until he died of tuberculosis at the age of 46!
Critics countered that health-food dieters do it for the sake of good health in their daily lives, but I find there is some merit to his point about "longevity."
The fact is, nobody gets out alive, and you are going to die of something.  Maybe it'll be cancer, maybe heart disease, maybe organ failure, but you are going!  That doesn't mean one shouldn't look out for one's health, but obsessing over whether or not the "free radicals" are going to kill you is a drag.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/18/05 at 8:12 pm

Of course they are, McD's blows!  I loved it when I was a kid, but now it just makes me feel bloated and icky!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/18/05 at 10:09 pm

I'm-sure-there's-some-meat-in-here-somewhere

Our burgers here are no different though I'm sure that was sarcasm.

When it comes to getting more beef than bread it seems you have to make the hamburger yourself.

Written By: neebs25 on 03/19/05 at 3:44 pm

What really makes me mad is when I see an overweight child eating a bunch of crap.  The conveinence of eating fast food has taken over.  Parents need to take responsibility and cook their children a healthy meal instead of picking up a pizza on the way home.  I struggled with my weight as a child and teen because I was allowed to eat more than I should.  Kids will normally pick out the worst thing for themselves cause it tastes the best.  I see just as many overweight kids these days as slender ones.  It's really sad because bad eating habits are hard to break.  I've had to work my ass off for the body I have now.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/19/05 at 5:42 pm

What really makes me mad is when I see an overweight child eating a bunch of crap.  The conveinence of eating fast food has taken over.  Parents need to take responsibility and cook their children a healthy meal instead of picking up a pizza on the way home.  I struggled with my weight as a child and teen because I was allowed to eat more than I should.  Kids will normally pick out the worst thing for themselves cause it tastes the best.  I see just as many overweight kids these days as slender ones.  It's really sad because bad eating habits are hard to break.  I've had to work my a** off for the body I have now.

I tend to agree... sort of... children should not be allowed to eat whatever they want, because they are not old enough to understand the consequences.  Children should be fed as healthy as possible, and then when they are older they can make their own choices.

The problem is, almost EVERYTHING is said to be bad now.  If you "cook a healthy meal", and you leave out the red meat, carbs, cholesterol, sugar, salt, etc... you are left with what?  Fish & vegetables? 

Written By: jiminy on 03/20/05 at 7:45 pm

Ronand McDonald suggests we should exercise more

Written By: AL-B on 03/21/05 at 1:31 am

I remember reading somewhere that one of the factors causing Americans to be overweight (aside from a sedentary lifestyle) is that in the 1970's they stopped using pure sugar (from sugar cane or sugar beets) as a sweetener and switched over to high-fructose corn syrup, which was much cheaper to produce.

Written By: philbo on 03/21/05 at 7:11 pm

Our burgers here are no different though I'm sure that was sarcasm.

When it comes to getting more beef than bread it seems you have to make the hamburger yourself or got to Hardee's.

I had burgers from our local butcher for supper tonight, with a lovely mature cheddar melted on top and just under an inch of salad (though I did lightly toast the peppers, too).  Seriously scrumptious.

Written By: AL-B on 03/21/05 at 9:13 pm

This is really strange, but since I started driving a truck long-distance again 6 months ago, my lifestyle has become much more sedentary, yet I've lost 10 lbs. Maybe I'm eating less, I dunno.

Written By: Valhalla on 08/28/05 at 8:56 am

once you get to a certain age and you don't know what is the right thing or the wrong thing to eat then you better get someone to plan your meals for you. also, my opinion is that modern technology isn't helping either. instead of getting out and enjoying themselves and doing activities, some people would rather just sit at the computer for a few hours, or play video games, etc. those things are fine, but balance out a schedule and do something.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/28/05 at 12:00 pm

Darn... now I want to eat at McDonald's too..

::)

Written By: tv on 08/29/05 at 1:09 pm

I don't even eat fast food anymore. I think the last time I had fast food was last year. If Have a burger its from TGI Friday;s or a bar & grill place. I used to eat fast food sometimes when I was a kid. Not anymore though. I never got fat as a kid.

Written By: rich1981 on 08/30/05 at 1:27 am

An interesting story for me, up until two years ago I ate fast food, at least semi-regularly and my cholesterol was 252. I quit fast food just like that and after 3 or so months my cholesterol fell to 192. My overall weight also decreased quite a bit but came to plateau after about a 20lb weight loss. I rarely eat fast food these days, maybe just once a month but not even that. I have been struggling ever since to lose weight to no avail even though I work hard at the gym and rarely eat any of that toxic waste.

Written By: karen on 08/31/05 at 4:41 am

What really makes me mad is when I see an overweight child eating a bunch of crap.  The conveinence of eating fast food has taken over.  Parents need to take responsibility and cook their children a healthy meal instead of picking up a pizza on the way home.  I struggled with my weight as a child and teen because I was allowed to eat more than I should.  Kids will normally pick out the worst thing for themselves cause it tastes the best.  I see just as many overweight kids these days as slender ones.  It's really sad because bad eating habits are hard to break.  I've had to work my ass off for the body I have now.

I tend to agree... sort of... children should not be allowed to eat whatever they want, because they are not old enough to understand the consequences.  Children should be fed as healthy as possible, and then when they are older they can make their own choices.

Sometimes though working parents are pushed for time so pick up something quick or eat out if they haven't had time to go to the supermarket.  The problem is when you eat out that there are not many places with healthy children's menus.  The only options seems to be something (e.g.sausage or fish fingers) and fries, vegetables or salad are rarely offered.  We find this a real problem when we are on holiday.

Written By: Valhalla on 08/31/05 at 10:14 am

other than the food, the prices at these fast food places are enough to keep me away.

Written By: maddog on 09/01/05 at 8:53 am

The only options seems to be something (e.g.sausage or fish fingers) and fries, vegetables or salad are rarely offered.  We find this a real problem when we are on holiday.

Absolutely agree karen, we have exactly the same problem. As parents we get forced into the position of just shrugging our shoulders and having to accept that the kids eat cr@p on holiday, we just have to try to ensure that they eat healthily for the rest of the year at home. The other children's menu option is the dreaded "chicken nuggets" but my two elder daughters refuse those now (thankfully) having seen a TV program about battery chicken farming and production methods of food companies. Our middle daughter is pretty much vegetarian now.

Written By: karen on 09/01/05 at 9:21 am

Absolutely agree karen, we have exactly the same problem. As parents we get forced into the position of just shrugging our shoulders and having to accept that the kids eat cr@p on holiday, we just have to try to ensure that they eat healthily for the rest of the year at home. The other children's menu option is the dreaded "chicken nuggets" but my two elder daughters refuse those now (thankfully) having seen a TV program about battery chicken farming and production methods of food companies. Our middle daughter is pretty much vegetarian now.

It annoys me a lot though because all the adult meals come with veg or salad or whatever.  How hard is it to just give a smaller helping of the adult menu?  Don't these people have children of their own?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/01/05 at 5:24 pm

The only fastfood I eat anymore is Subway and Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/01/05 at 7:55 pm

The only fastfood I eat anymore is Subway and Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Contrary to urban myth, KFC is not made from a genetically modified sub-species of chicken developed by KFC-employed geneticists.  I was stunned when my friend, who is a gourmet chef, made that claim matter-of-factly.  She knows a lot about the commercial food business, but didn't bother to make the easy logical conclusions as to why the KFC Frankenchicken is a silly rumor.  It's scary such a canard is floating around cooking schools without contradiction.
Yeah, I'm sure KFC chicken is pumped full of hormones and raised on industrial chicken farms, like Purdue chicken, but the idea that a fast food company would spend billions devising a its own Frankenchicken when it would be much cheaper to just buy from the open market is silly.

Here's the debunking from Snopes.  Makes sense to me!
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/kfc.asp

Check for new replies or respond here...