» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Terri Schiavo's Feeding Tube Removed

Written By: Apricot on 03/18/05 at 10:21 pm

53 MINUTES AGO, BABY! God, I love the AP.

PINELLAS PARK, Fla. - With a furious legal and political battle raging outside her hospice room, doctors removed Terri Schiavo's feeding tube Friday after a judge rebuffed an unprecedented attempt by Congress to keep the brain-damaged woman alive.

The whole story is like 5-6 screens, so I just posted this.

Any thoughts?

Subject: Re: Terri Schiavo's Feeding Tube Removed

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/18/05 at 10:47 pm

The husband won a lawsuit when this all started, nearly two million if I remember correctly, saying he needed it to treat her for the rest of her life. That is what he said, for the rest of her life. Instead he used it to get a lawyer, and now she is going to die unless the feeding tube is reinserted (it was removed in 2003 but then reinserted after seven days, so Terri lived...then.) This guy still has half of that money according to CNN that he said he needed to keep her alive, so now him, his bimbo wife who he was having sex with every night despite the fact that he is still married to the mentally impaired women, and of course his two out-of-wedlock children, can go spend the rest of the money and live happily ever after.

The average person on death row gets 17 years....Terri gets 14. The democrats, the party of death with their support of suicide, euthanasia, and abortion have nothing to say about this....NOTHING. Yet if she was a convicted mass murderer on death row I'm sure the so-called compassionate liberals would be there crying tears and holding candle light visuals.

The governor of the state of Florida didn't want this, the President of the United States of America didn't want this, her parents didn't want this, the US house and the US senate didn't want this, the Florida state house and the Florida state senate didn't want this; but because of a greedy husband and some unelected, unaccountable judges, the woman will probably die.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/18/05 at 11:52 pm

The husband won a lawsuit when this all started, nearly two million if I remember correctly, saying he needed it to treat her for the rest of her life. That is what he said, for the rest of her life. Instead he used it to get a lawyer, and now she is going to die unless the feeding tube is reinserted (it was removed in 2003 but then reinserted after seven days, so Terri lived...then.) This guy still has half of that money according to CNN that he said he needed to keep her alive, so now him, his bimbo wife who he was having sex with every night despite the fact that he is still married to the mentally impaired women, and of course his two out-of-wedlock children, can go spend the rest of the money and live happily ever after.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me that there are vulgar ulterior motives behind this case.

The average person on death row gets 17 years....Terri gets 14. The democrats, the party of death with their support of suicide, euthanasia, and abortion have nothing to say about this....NOTHING. Yet if she was a convicted mass murderer on death row I'm sure the so-called compassionate liberals would be there crying tears and holding candle light visuals.
The point is moot because nobody could survive in a maximum security prison on a feeding tube for 14 years.  The prison would furtively the patient  off within months!  And take it easy about generalizing all liberals. I can see some liberals protesting this hypothetical, but not I, nor any liberals I know.
The people of America didn't want this, the governor of the state of Florida didn't want this, the President of the United States of America didn't want this, her parents didn't want this, the US house and the US senate didn't want this, the Florida state house and the Florida state senate didn't want this; but because of a greedy husband and some unelected, unaccountable judges, the woman will probably die.
'Tain't the people's bidness, 'taint the guv'ner's bidness, and 'taint the prezzy-dent's bidness. 

It is the family's business and their doctors' business to decide what shall happen to the most unfortunate woman.  Often in cases of impassioned oppositions the parties become litigans.  They use the courts to help resove their matters.  Thus, it becomes the business of this "unacountable" judge ("unaccountable" being a ten cent epithet the right-wing throws at anybody not directly accountable to THEM!).
If the legislative or executive branch gets embroiled in this, it is THAT branch's "activism" and not the judicial.

I'm sure the DU and the DNC are throwing victory parties tonight.

I'm sure the Right are fantasizing the DU and the DNC throwing victory parties tonight.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/19/05 at 7:21 am

It is sad that you never stop being so........yourself. ???  I think her husband should yield the reigns to the family, he obviously is in it for the money.  I think her family is in a horrible situation, but Terry is in the worst situation of all.  None of us can speak for her, It is possible that she is aware, and would prefer to die, and it is possible that she is aware and wants to live, it is possible that she hasn't a clue.  We should all use this as an example in our own lives as to what we would want done should we be in the same situation.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/19/05 at 8:10 am

The people of America didn't want this, the governor of the state of Florida didn't want this, the President of the United States of America didn't want this, her parents didn't want this, the US house and the US senate didn't want this, the Florida state house and the Florida state senate didn't want this; but because of a greedy husband and some unelected, unaccountable judges, the woman will probably die.

Speaking as a very conservative republican, I am embarassed by the behaviour of Republican figures in this affair.

A feeding tube is artificial resucitation and we must go by the woman's husband as to what her wishes were, since she did not have a living will.  He says that she did not want her life to be continued by artificial means if she were in this sort of situation.  As her husband he is her legal guardian and there is no couret in the land who will judge him to be mentally incompetent.  So this decision is HIS in his position as her husband and guardian.  That's the precedent of CENTURIES of common law.

The medical treatment of Terry Schiavo is not the business of any of the governmental bodies that you named.  I don't need the Florida State Senate to tell me how to get my hemmorhoids treated, or to interfere with family decisions. 

What's next? Forcing senile elderly heart patients to get heart-bypass surgery?  After all, it is a life-saving treatment.  We need to have the government decide for these old people too.

And if anybody thinks that somehow Mr. Schiavo is going to get a financial windfall from all of this then they have absolutely no idea as to the cost of health care.  Ms. Schiavo has been through a traumatic medical event and under constant care for 14 years.  That lawsuit money is long gone.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/19/05 at 10:32 am

It is sad that you never stop being so........yourself. ???  I think her husband should yield the reigns to the family, he obviously is in it for the money.  I think her family is in a horrible situation, but Terry is in the worst situation of all.  None of us can speak for her, It is possible that she is aware, and would prefer to die, and it is possible that she is aware and wants to live, it is possible that she hasn't a clue.  We should all use this as an example in our own lives as to what we would want done should we be in the same situation.
While we don't always see eye to eye on everything...THIS is something I totally agree with you on. I feel that from what I've seen, she is improving...I agree that the family should be allowed to keep her alive...this is very sad :\'(

Written By: Apricot on 03/19/05 at 3:08 pm

14 years, though? I wouldn't wanna live like that for a week. After a point, you're just keeping her alive for... well, what seems like blind hope for something that doesn't seem like it'll ever come. It could, but you gotta give up hope after some point....

Written By: neebs25 on 03/19/05 at 3:24 pm

Nobody wins in a situation like this.  Personally, after 15 years I would think it's time to just let her go.  But thats only because thats what I would choose for myself.  I feel horrible for her and her family.  I wasn't aware that her husband received that much cash because of her situation.  I don't think that it's right for him to keep it.

Written By: Marian on 03/19/05 at 3:46 pm

Nobody wins in a situation like this.  Personally, after 15 years I would think it's time to just let her go.  But thats only because thats what I would choose for myself.  I feel horrible for her and her family.  I wasn't aware that her husband received that much cash because of her situation.  I don't think that it's right for him to keep it.
:(That's not a lot of cash if you live in the Bay Area.Anyway,if her parents feel so strongly about this,why don't they pay for it themselves?Anyway,rest in peace(finally),TerriSchiavo--1964-1990.

Written By: Apricot on 03/19/05 at 4:07 pm

Anyway,if her parents feel so strongly about this,why don't they pay for it themselves?Anyway,rest in peace(finally),TerriSchiavo--1964-1990.

Agreed.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/19/05 at 4:12 pm

ONLY because I watched a story on her and it was said that she was showing small improvements...THAT is why I say she should be kept alive!

Written By: Apricot on 03/19/05 at 4:32 pm

SMALL improvements, though. Is it really worth it just for small improvements? I value life, but that doesn't seem like life at all...

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/19/05 at 4:34 pm

The way I see it, the husband has some alternative motive.  The family has the money and the health insurance plan to take care of her for the rest of her life, yet he refuses.  Rumors are that he did this to her, the guy does look like a bum, yet I'm not going to accuse him of anything.  But it is funny:

1. When she went into this state, the husband didn't say anything about her not wanting to live this way.  It wasn't until she was like that for seven years before he suddenly remembered he heard her say she didn't want to live like that.

2. Under the husband's orders, when Terri dies she is to be cremated instantly.  No autospy please.  Hmm.

3. The life insurance policy on Terri's life is 300,000 dollars.

4. The husband has refused to allow the hospital to try and rehablitate her.  He just lets Terri lay there.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/19/05 at 4:46 pm

If the accusations about the husband are true and he indeed had something to do with hurting her in any way at ANY time...I hope she lives just to piss him off :)

Written By: Apricot on 03/19/05 at 4:53 pm

Oh, so there are some outside circumstances... if he did something, let the sumbitch pay, I say. But not at her expense.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/19/05 at 4:57 pm

Oh, so there are some outside circumstances... if he did something, let the sumbitch pay, I say. But not at her expense.
I agree about him...I just have a hard time letting her go when there is still some chance she could come out of it. There was another case similar to this...I'll have to try and remember where I saw it...where a lady had been in a car accident in 1984...she just came back a while ago...though she thought it was still 1984 :-\\

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/19/05 at 5:12 pm

ONLY because I watched a story on her and it was said that she was showing small improvements...THAT is why I say she should be kept alive!

From what I read whatever small improvement her parants noticed brought her up to the level of a carrot in terms of awareness.  Face it, as unfortunate as it is, and as hard for the parants to accept (I can't imagine their grief) the woman is brain dead.  My will is very clear on that point, "death shall be concidered brain death."

The way I see it, the husband has some alternative motive.  The family has the money and the health insurance plan to take care of her for the rest of her life, yet he refuses.  Rumors are that he did this to her, the guy does look like a bum, yet I'm not going to accuse him of anything.  But it is funny:

1. When she went into this state, the husband didn't say anything about her not wanting to live this way.  It wasn't until she was like that for seven years before he suddenly remembered he heard her say she didn't want to live like that.

2. Under the husband's orders, when Terri dies she is to be cremated instantly.  No autospy please.  Hmm.

3. The life insurance policy on Terri's life is 300,000 dollars.

4. The husband has refused to allow the hospital to try and rehablitate her.  He just lets Terri lay there.

Could it be that for 7 years he held out hope for her recovery?  Christ almighty, I wouldn't want to be vegetative for 7 years.  A year at most, then pull the damn plug and let me rest.

After 14 years in this condition it seems fairly certain that they know what caused her death, and they already know what will be the cause of her heart failure.  Why desecrate the body?  What is to be gained?  You seem to be hinting at foul play, but after 14 years wouldn't that have been investigated?

That $300,000 should have been paid long ago, when she died.

I have read in several sources that there is no rehabilitation.  The woman's brain is dead.  No activity can be detected in the brain areas that control thought or cognition, no response to external stimuli.  I say just let her go.  I can imagine how hard that must be for her parants, having 4 kids and 2 grandkids myself.  Losing any of them would tear me to pieces, but sometimes, life just s..ks.

My guess is that the poor guy would like, after 14 years of waiting, to get on with his life.

Let me make this personal.  In 1990 or so, my mother had a ceribrial hemorrage while visiting us in VT.  She mostly recovered, after a long hospital stay and physical therapy.  A year or 2 later she had another, then another.  Each took a part of her until during her last year or 2 she was living in the past, present, and future and couldn't distinguish between them.  I spoke to her weekly.  She told me of speaking with her father, mother, brother (all long dead), and asked me if I had recently spoken to my brother, the one she was forced to abort when I was like 6 or 7.  She was still "lucid" in that she felt, spoke, evan laughted, but she was not my mother (it really pains me to write this, I love her still, and miss her very much.  My youngest saw her in a dream though, and says she is ok, and that she is now "my guardian angle" and is happy "in the arms of the dragon and the Godess").

During all that time, my dad did everything for her, evan though, at times, she subjected him to terrible verbal abuse.  For years he had no life, and went for so long without sex that he now isn't interested, evan though he has had several opportunities (he will be 85 this coming Oct. but is still hale and hardy, but I suspect he now questions his ability to "perform").  I find that to be tragic.  My feelings are mixed.  I love him for the dedication he showed mom, but  I'm not sure I would be williung to make the sacrifices he made, I don't think Cat would want me to, and I know I wouldn't want her to make those sacrifices for me.  Sometimes you just have to say "goodby".

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/19/05 at 5:30 pm

You seem to be hinting at foul play

Of course I am.  I should add:

1. Woman had bruises on neck, never investigated
2. Husband refuses an MRI or any rehab for Terri
3. Mike Schiavo's (the husband) psychiatric profile fits "wife abuser."  Link: http://hyscience.typepad.com/hyscience/2005/02/_2004_psychiatr.html

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/19/05 at 5:39 pm

Oh course I am.  I should add:

1. Woman had bruises on neck, never investigated
2. Husband refuses an MRI or any rehab for Terri
3. Mike Schiavo's (the husband) psychiatric profile fits "wife abuser."  Link: http://hyscience.typepad.com/hyscience/2005/02/_2004_psychiatr.html

He wasn't home when she suffered her accident.

MRI's would not reveal brain activity, EEG's do that, and she has been hooked up to one numerous time and her lines are flat.

So now we should cast aspersions on people because of their "psychiatric profile"?  I suspect that there was a time when mine would have pictured me as suicidal, homicidal, scitsophrenic...  Get over it.

Written By: Apricot on 03/19/05 at 7:14 pm

Goin' on two days now... Someone tried to sneak bread and water in symbolically.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/19/05 at 10:35 pm

This is the kind of inflammatory ethical question the media loves to prey on. Her semi-conscious state is a dreadful and painful situation for the Schiavo's family going back fifteen years, and I resent being called upon to weigh in on it.  Regardless of whose business the Terri Schiavo crisis may be, I can say for certain it isn't mine!
>:(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/19/05 at 11:26 pm

Hubby gets money to care for her...then he suddenly remembers that her wish was to die...whatever, dude ::)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/19/05 at 11:49 pm

Hubby gets money to care for her...then he suddenly remembers that her wish was to die...whatever, dude ::)

Thank you!  That's how I feel.

This guy says "I need two million, it's to keep my disabled wife alive for the rest of her life."  He wins and gets the money.  "Oh yeah!  She didn't want to live like that.  Darn."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/20/05 at 12:06 am

Thank you!  That's how I feel.

This guy says "I need two million, it's to keep my disabled wife alive for the rest of her life."  He wins and gets the money.  "Oh yeah!  She didn't want to live like that.  Darn."

Oh, I'm sure he wouldn't object to handing the money back, or just giving it to the needy children of the world, he's just that kind of guy!
;)

Written By: danootaandme on 03/20/05 at 9:37 am

So the drama will continue.  I do wonder how many others in the same situation, without the media circus,
are going through this same scenario with a "oh who cares" from everyone around them.  There was a
memo, ostensibly for republican members only, to the effect that they should work hard on the Schiavo
situation because it will garner votes.  Would georgie have returned from Texas, pen in hand, if votes were
not involved?  There was a case recently of a woman with a young child wanting to keep the child on life support.  I'm sure most haven't heard about it, she is a single mother, working class, and the hospital has decided that they should do the same to this child.  Where is the outrage?  Well, first find the votes.

Written By: JFK-2004 on 03/20/05 at 3:51 pm

I personally am dead tired of hearing about the Schiavo predicament every time I turn on the news.  There is absolutely no reason why this should be national news.  It's just another case of media and legislators pimping out an innocent person for extra viewership or political gain.  Anyone recall the Elian Gonzalez fiasco five years ago? 

Personally, I would not want to be kept alive for more than about six months in any type of vegetative state.  The longer any such state persists, the less likely recovery becomes.  Terri Schiavo has been lying in this condition for 15 years, making the prospects of recovery near nil.  Life is not life when you can't consume food except via a plastic tube, communicate your thoughts, and move on your own.  The money that has been invested in preserving Mrs. Schiavo's live could have been used to feed starving children who actually have a chance.  Unfortunately, Mrs. Schiavo is basically beyond hope.  Our government has a million more important issues to worry about than such a hopeless situation.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/20/05 at 4:33 pm

14 years, though? I wouldn't wanna live like that for a week. After a point, you're just keeping her alive for... well, what seems like blind hope for something that doesn't seem like it'll ever come. It could, but you gotta give up hope after some point....
I don't think after 14 years,honestly,she would ever have any REAL brain function....personally I would not want to live like that,unable to have any conscious thought,having someone else do the most BASIC functions for me.....that is NOT a life. I am independent(mostly),and have worked hard to achieve independence....

Written By: Apricot on 03/20/05 at 4:40 pm

No thoughts... that'd kill it for me.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/20/05 at 4:42 pm

Her "Family" wants to keep her alive...the husband suddenly recalls AFTER he was awrded some big bucks, that "Oh, wait...she told me once that she wouldn't want to abe kept alive"  ::) Whatever...give the right to the people who raised her and love her. To the people who want to use this story to continue Bashing Bush, I would hope that you would want something done that might change things for future situations such as this. I'm tired of the negativity, let's all try and be more positive. He isn't making me really happy right now but he's our president, like it or not.

Written By: Apricot on 03/20/05 at 4:46 pm

I think it's selfish to keep her alive after so long.... You're only doing it for yourself, you KNOW she's not getting better.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/20/05 at 7:12 pm

I think it's selfish to keep her alive after so long.... You're only doing it for yourself, you KNOW she's not getting better.

No, she is not getting better, and there is no hope that she will.  The real tragedy is that unscrupulous politicians and the sensationalist media want to use this horrible situation for their own purposes.  Let the woman die in peace, let her husband have some closure.  14 years of vegitation is too long.  They should have pulled the plug after at most 3 or 4 years with no improvement.

Going back to my long post about my mother, I must say that I way relieved when she passed.  The woman who died was not my mother.  My mother was the woman who's picture I have on my livingroom wall dancing with my father at a New Years Eve party, or the sexy babe who's photo dad took in a bikini during their hunymoon.  THAT was my mother.  At least she talked to my dad, sister and me until the end, evan if it didn't make much sense.  This "woman" is just a shell.  There is nothing there.  Why keep that body alive as an empty vessal?  Who gains?  Certainly not her.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/20/05 at 8:36 pm

From what I read whatever small improvement her parants noticed brought her up to the level of a carrot in terms of awareness.  Face it, as unfortunate as it is, and as hard for the parants to accept (I can't imagine their grief) the woman is brain dead.  My will is very clear on that point, "death shall be concidered brain death."

I just think it should be for the parents to decide...not the suspect husband.

Written By: EthanM on 03/21/05 at 12:32 am

I have a hard time calling anyone who spent fourteen years married to a comatose woman, especially if he was very young at the time, selfish. If he worked and sacrificed for fourteen years to support her, he deserves a government-funded early retirement. Of course a lot of people who deserve help from the government don't get it because it chooses to spend the funds to "help" Iraq instead.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/21/05 at 1:23 am

Her "Family" wants to keep her alive...the husband suddenly recalls AFTER he was awrded some big bucks, that "Oh, wait...she told me once that she wouldn't want to abe kept alive"  ::) Whatever...give the right to the people who raised her and love her. To the people who want to use this story to continue Bashing Bush, I would hope that you would want something done that might change things for future situations such as this. I'm tired of the negativity, let's all try and be more positive. He isn't making me really happy right now but he's our president, like it or not.

There is pushy sanctimonious dogma driving this entire Schiavo ordeal, and that's a big component of GWB and the rest of the rightwing *ssh*les who want to boss everybody else's life.
The connection between the Bush agenda and the corporate media-concocted Shiavo outrage is crystal clear to me.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/21/05 at 1:57 am

The US House and the US Senate just voted on a bill to temporarily save Terri, and the President just signed it.  Now it doesn't put the feeding tube back in, but it does move the case to federal court, and they'll put it back in until they rule and Terri's family runs out of appeals.  Look for her tube to be put back in tomorrow.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/21/05 at 11:58 am

Speaking as a very conservative republican, I am embarassed by the behaviour of Republican figures in this affair.

A feeding tube is artificial resucitation and we must go by the woman's husband as to what her wishes were, since she did not have a living will.  He says that she did not want her life to be continued by artificial means if she were in this sort of situation.  As her husband he is her legal guardian and there is no couret in the land who will judge him to be mentally incompetent.  So this decision is HIS in his position as her husband and guardian.  That's the precedent of CENTURIES of common law.

The medical treatment of Terry Schiavo is not the business of any of the governmental bodies that you named.  I don't need the Florida State Senate to tell me how to get my hemmorhoids treated, or to interfere with family decisions. 

What's next? Forcing senile elderly heart patients to get heart-bypass surgery?  After all, it is a life-saving treatment.  We need to have the government decide for these old people too.

And if anybody thinks that somehow Mr. Schiavo is going to get a financial windfall from all of this then they have absolutely no idea as to the cost of health care.  Ms. Schiavo has been through a traumatic medical event and under constant care for 14 years.  That lawsuit money is long gone.

I never thought that I would ever be saying this, but I do agree with you.  ;)  The government has abolutely no right to interfer in this matter. It is up to the "next of kin" which is her husband. I do understand how the family feels-wanting to keep hope up but they must realize that after 14 years, there is no hope.

As Carlos has mentioned, we talked about "what if it were to happen to us?". If either one of us became comatose, we both would want a chance. But, after a while, if the condition did not improve, then it was time to let go. 14 years is a long time to be hold on-too long. I think it is time that she is put to rest and her husband and family members can move on. It really isn't healthy for any of them to be in this state of limbo for so long. And it really bothers me that the government is trying to get involved in this matter. It is none of their business.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/21/05 at 1:55 pm

I never thought that I would ever be saying this, but I do agree with you.  ;)  The government has abolutely no right to interfer in this matter. It is up to the "next of kin" which is her husband. I do understand how the family feels-wanting to keep hope up but they must realize that after 14 years, there is no hope.

As Carlos has mentioned, we talked about "what if it were to happen to us?". If either one of us became comatose, we both would want a chance. But, after a while, if the condition did not improve, then it was time to let go. 14 years is a long time to be hold on-too long. I think it is time that she is put to rest and her husband and family members can move on. It really isn't healthy for any of them to be in this state of limbo for so long. And it really bothers me that the government is trying to get involved in this matter. It is none of their business.

I think what LB is discovering is that the Republican party is not based on Conservative principles but perpetual politicking.  They will use anything, I mean anything to whip their God squad base into a self-righteous frenzy and, as Rachel Maddow put it this morning, "tear off a few swing-voters along the way."
Clearly, anybody who believes government ought to stay out of people's personal business would be appalled by this, ahem, legislative activism!
A true Libertarian is pro-choice, however, a lot of these clowns are Libertarian when it comes to their money, but theocratic when it comes to your choices, your family, your life, your body.
::)
A sensible person on either side of the issue should be able to recognize there are far too many issues vital to all the people to hold emergency votes on the weekend over a woman who will never get well.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/21/05 at 2:16 pm

http://voanews.com/english/AmericanLife/2005-02-24-voa51.cfm

Good things CAN happen :)

Written By: danootaandme on 03/21/05 at 4:06 pm

It bothers me immensely that the decision in this case pertains to Terry Schiavo alone and not to anyone
else in the same situation. In other words anyone in the same situation will not be able to use the decisions made in this case to argue their own.  That is what makes it so blatantly political. 

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/21/05 at 4:20 pm

It bothers me immensely that the decision in this case pertains to Terry Schiavo alone and not to anyone
else in the same situation. In other words anyone in the same situation will not be able to use the decisions made in this case to argue their own. That is what makes it so blatantly political.

Of course all this fuss is "blatantly political", and therein lies the real travesty. 

After 14 years as a carrot?  Get real.  Would you have wanted your son kept in a vegetative state for 14 years, 14 YEARS, on a chance that a good thibg might happen?  Evan if all the doctors you consulted said there was no hope?  Why?  Don't you think closure is better?  It certainly was for me when my mom passed.  As I mentioned above, I called her every week that she was "alive" and she was much more alive than this woman.  And every week I mourned for my mother.  Her death was a release for both her and the rest of us.  And in my daughter's dream, mom was in her prime, once again the beuatiful, vibrant woman I knew as my mother.

Let this poor creature go.  Give her peace.  It has been much too long already.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/21/05 at 4:28 pm

Of course all this fuss is "blatantly political", and therein lies the real travesty.
After 14 years as a carrot?  Get real.  Would you have wanted your son kept in a vegetative state for 14 years, 14 YEARS, on a chance that a good thibg might happen?  Evan if all the doctors you consulted said there was no hope?  Why?  Don't you think closure is better?  It certainly was for me when my mom passed.  As I mentioned above, I called her every week that she was "alive" and she was much more alive than this woman.  And every week I mourned for my mother.  Her death was a release for both her and the rest of us.  And in my daughter's dream, mom was in her prime, once again the beuatiful, vibrant woman I knew as my mother.

Let this poor creature go.  Give her peace.  It has been much too long already.
The decision should be allowed to be made by her parents. It should be completely thier decision and thiers only.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/21/05 at 4:42 pm

The decision should be allowed to be made by her parents. It should be completely thier decision and thiers only.

Why them?  Her husband is her legal guardian.  She doesn't "belong" to her panants.  Nor does any adult child. 

My question is, why is this particular case getting so much attention?  Aren't there hundreds of other similare cases around the country?  I'm sure there are.  This is being blown out of all proportion by the sensationalist media and the neocons for political gain.  Do you really think that either Bill Frist of Lill' Georgie give a rats @33 about this woman?  They want to make political hay, and the media is playing right into their hands.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/21/05 at 5:05 pm

Why them?  Her husband is her legal guardian.  She doesn't "belong" to her panants.  Nor does any adult child. 

My question is, why is this particular case getting so much attention?  Aren't there hundreds of other similare cases around the country?  I'm sure there are.  This is being blown out of all proportion by the sensationalist media and the neocons for political gain.  Do you really think that either Bill Frist of Lill' Georgie give a rats @33 about this woman?  They want to make political hay, and the media is playing right into their hands.
I have a problem with him "All of a sudden" remembering her wishes...AFTER he got the money. I'm not for it being political at all...the less the government involved in many things, the better...be it Clinton, Bush..any of them. If my son Blaine had been married and was in this situation...and his wife was like this guy is, I'd want to have the right to decide what my sons fate would be. My problem is with the husband...I agree with you about all the media, government garbage though. It's just a huge mess and I really have nothing more to say on the matter except that I don't think the husband is the person some think he is.

Written By: whitewolf on 03/21/05 at 5:24 pm

I have a hard time calling anyone who spent fourteen years married to a comatose woman, especially if he was very young at the time, selfish. If he worked and sacrificed for fourteen years to support her, he deserves a government-funded early retirement. Of course a lot of people who deserve help from the government don't get it because it chooses to spend the funds to "help" Iraq instead.

He didn't work and support her for 14 years, the lawsuit money supported her. Also he didn't put his life aside for 14 years, he is living with another woman and has kids with her. doesn't seem the picture of a loving husband to me.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/21/05 at 5:27 pm

He didn't work and support her for 14 years, the lawsuit money supported her. Also he didn't put his life aside for 14 years, he is living with another woman and has kids with her. doesn't seem the picture of a loving husband to me.
BINGO! THAT is exactly what I'm talking about...and why I think the parents should be the ones to make the call :)

Written By: Mistress Leola on 03/21/05 at 6:50 pm

I don't think it should matter whether the guy's a prince of a loving devoted husband, or whether he's a rogueish, opportunistic, womanizing cad -- you can't apply different standards of law based on whether someone's likeable or not.  Her parents, though they may love her and want the best for her have no business making this call.  The woman was an adult.  She opted to get married, that means she legally entered an arrangement whereby the person SHE chose to marry has certain legal entitlements.  Marriage is a legal contract with certain legal rights and responsibilities, and so if her husband, cad or no, gets certain authority because he's her husband so be it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/21/05 at 6:54 pm

Yes they can, but the miraculous recovery made by the person in this story is not possible for Mrs. Schiavo.  
Her cerebral cortex was destroyed and replaced by spinal fluid (making her a prime candidate for the RNC).  Unless Dr. Genius invents a prosthetic cerebral cortex, it's WYSIWYG evermore for poor Mrs. Schiavo.
:\'(
http://www.tampatrib.com/News/MGBJ1RK6E6E.html

Written By: Davester on 03/21/05 at 7:18 pm

Yeah, Mark...this is no d@mn good...

She can do a helluva lot more than just breathe on her own. From watching family videos, it appears that she recognizes her family members, she smiles, she adores their company, and she is very much alive. I keep hearing the term “Persistent Vegetative State” when people reference the Terri Shiavo case. Why? She is anything but vegetative. Watch these videos if you want to see what Judge Greer and Michael Schiavo call a “persistent vegetative state”...I don't like this, at all...

These videos are from http://www.terrisfight.net/...

Terri & Her Mother
   Swab Test
   Terri Responding To Music
   Terri Tracking A Balloon
   How's Your Cold?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/21/05 at 7:46 pm

Yeah, Mark...this is no d@mn good...

She can do a helluva lot more than just breathe on her own. From watching family videos, it appears that she recognizes her family members, she smiles, she adores their company, and she is very much alive. I keep hearing the term “Persistent Vegetative State” when people reference the Terri Shiavo case. Why? She is anything but vegetative. Watch these videos if you want to see what Judge Greer and Michael Schiavo call a “persistent vegetative state”...I don't like this, at all...

These videos are from http://www.terrisfight.net/...

Terri & Her Mother
   Swab Test
   Terri Responding To Music
   Terri Tracking A Balloon
   How's Your Cold?

Unfortunately, appearances can be deceiving.  These videos are "The Best of Terri Schiavo," to the media they release only the video portions that seem to show Schiavo in a responsive mode.
This is the kind of wishful thinking you see among parents of profoundly retarded children.  Apparent changes in eye movement and facial expression do not necessarily indicate independent cognitive activity.

Written By: whitewolf on 03/21/05 at 8:46 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but to be in a complete Vegetative state would mean NO movement at all. After all your brain controls every part of your body, including breathing. She is not on any life support system at all, meaning that she is breathing on her own. If she is moving even a tiny bit, to me means that her brain is not totally dead.

For the ones that say her husbaqnd should have the last word, she was in the process of getting a divorce when she had her accident.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/22/05 at 6:49 am

Everyone here should read this page, the quotes, and the links that come with it: http://www.bluestarbase.org/stanley031805.htm

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/22/05 at 8:55 am

Everyone here should read this page, the quotes, and the links that come with it: http://www.bluestarbase.org/stanley031805.htm

ooh yeah, first link on that page goes to Newsmax, this should be good and unbiased.

Strange how the Republicans are all for state rights, until the states decide to do something they don't like.  They're all for individual rights, until the individual decides against them.

George W. signed into law in Texas, a bill that allows hospitals, not the spouse or parents, to decide when to pull the plug, and it's already been used several times in the past year to remove people from life suppor against the wishes of the legal guardians.  I see no rush of support of GW for those people.  I guess since there are votes to be had, congress and the president had no problems coming to this woman's aid.

Living Wills people.  The most important piece of paper you can sign.  If two doctors say there's no way I'm coming back to something approaching the ability to think or talk, I want them to pull the plug as soon as they can.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/22/05 at 10:49 am

Here is the REAL story.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/uclickcomics/20050322/cx_tt_uc/tt20050322

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/uclickcomics/20050322/cx_bs_uc/bs20050322

Cat

Written By: Apricot on 03/22/05 at 3:42 pm

Yeah, man, BlueStar sounds exactly like.... you.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/22/05 at 4:40 pm

ooh yeah, first link on that page goes to Newsmax, this should be good and unbiased.

Strange how the Republicans are all for state rights, until the states decide to do something they don't like.  They're all for individual rights, until the individual decides against them.

George W. signed into law in Texas, a bill that allows hospitals, not the spouse or parents, to decide when to pull the plug, and it's already been used several times in the past year to remove people from life suppor against the wishes of the legal guardians.  I see no rush of support of GW for those people.  I guess since there are votes to be had, congress and the president had no problems coming to this woman's aid.

Living Wills people.  The most important piece of paper you can sign.  If two doctors say there's no way I'm coming back to something approaching the ability to think or talk, I want them to pull the plug as soon as they can.

Thanks for making the point about the bill Bush signed into law as governor of Texas, Chucky.

I have concluded the Schiavo hub-bub is the most obscene single case of political grandstanding I have ever seen in my life.

It's not that the Republicans in Congress and the Executive branch want to be ultimate dictators of the world, it's that they think they already are.  I have never seen such pushy, meddling, and arrogant behavior from the United States government.
Every day thousands of Americans die from treatable and preventable health problems.  A great percentage of the conditions from which Americans die deteriorated because the people could not afford proper health care.
The Republican party and their media goons care nothing for Mrs. Schiavo.  They are ONLY in it for political gain.  I don't know, maybe some of them are socially retarded enough to believe they really do care in spite of the fact that the rest of their priorities fly in the the face of the protection and sanctity of human life.
It was a case of emotional blackmail.  Those filthy rotten creeps in the majority party saw an opportunity to blacken the name of any member of Congress who voted against the measure.
As many people who see the Bush administration up close and personal have observed, there is no policy apparatus in this government.  It is ALL political.  These Republicans are NOT politicians working for the people.  They are businessmen tranferring the wealth of the people to private business and sociopaths stricken with theocratic mania.
Just like the partisan justices of the Supreme Court did with the 2000 election, the Republican-dominated Congress declared the legislative action taken on the Schiavo case is not a precedent.  They are all but admitting this was an ad hoc political maneuvre with no legal principles.

Is it time for revolution or what?

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/22/05 at 4:41 pm

I have a problem with him "All of a sudden" remembering her wishes...AFTER he got the money. I'm not for it being political at all...the less the government involved in many things, the better...be it Clinton, Bush..any of them. If my son Blaine had been married and was in this situation...and his wife was like this guy is, I'd want to have the right to decide what my sons fate would be. My problem is with the husband...I agree with you about all the media, government garbage though. It's just a huge mess and I really have nothing more to say on the matter except that I don't think the husband is the person some think he is.

I really don't think it matters who the husband is.  Good lord, should a healthy young man be expected to be celibate for 14 years?  I'm not that young, but don't ask me to do that.  Put yourself in this guy's place.  He has a wife who is virtually dead, but not quite.  He forms a relationship with another woman and has  kids wityh her, but can't marry her.  Those kids are defines as illigitimate, and people (including on this board) call her a "bimbo".  Maybe he loves this woman and the kids he has had with her.  That seems to be the case since they are still together.  Why should a carrot stand in the way of their legalizing their relationship?  Had Terry left a living will, as I have done, that defines death as brain death, she would have been declared dead years ago, and he would be free of her, evan if her parants wanted to continue to keep her in a vegetative state.I say again,

LET THE WOMAN GO IN PEACE

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/22/05 at 4:49 pm

Thanks for making the point about the bill Bush signed into law as governor of Texas, Chucky.

I have concluded the Schiavo hub-bub is the most obscene single case of political grandstanding I have ever seen in my life.

Is it time for revolution or what?

The political grandstanding is far more than obscene.

It is long past time for revolution.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/22/05 at 5:09 pm

The political grandstanding is far more than obscene.

It is long past time for revolution.

Well, that's the American tragedy.  There was a time when reform was possible.  However, when a government gets as degenerate and corrupt as the U.S. government today, reform is not possible.
As far as letting Schiavo go in "peace," these guys don't like peace.  They like fighting, and where danger is involved, fighting by proxy.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/23/05 at 10:07 am

almost every doctor believes these twitches are involuntary. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0503230250mar23,1,1265819.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

"You go in the room and say `Terri' and her eyes open," Cranford continued. "That's an arousal response. If you go in and say `President Bush,' the same thing would happen."

Cranford was one of three physicians who examined Schiavo and later testified at an extensive 2002 court hearing in Florida that she was in a persistent vegetative state. The goal was to clarify the woman's medical state and whether further treatment was warranted.

Two physicians who conducted their own exams said she had more consciousness than that diagnosis suggested.

After weighing the evidence, Florida Circuit Judge George Greer wrote of videos submitted as evidence: "At first blush, the video of Terri Schiavo appearing to smile and look lovingly at her mother seemed to represent cognition. This was also true for how she followed the Mickey Mouse balloon held by her father. The court has carefully viewed the videotapes ... and that these actions were neither consistent nor reproducible."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/23/politics/23repubs.html?ex=1269234000&en=b374f7629523357d&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland

"My party is demonstrating that they are for states' rights unless they don't like what states are doing," said Representative Christopher Shays of Connecticut, one of five House Republicans who voted against the bill. "This couldn't be a more classic case of a state responsibility."

"This Republican Party of Lincoln has become a party of theocracy," Mr. Shays said. "There are going to be repercussions from this vote. There are a number of people who feel that the government is getting involved in their personal lives in a way that scares them."

Written By: danootaandme on 03/23/05 at 3:27 pm

Written by John Conyers:

http://www.detnews.com/2005/editorial/0503/23/A09-125497.htm

If the president really cared about the issue of the removal of feeding tubes, he never would have signed a bill as Texas governor in 1999 allowing hospitals to save money by removing feeding tubes over a family's objection.

Yet there it is in fine print, a statute allowing the physician and the patient's legal guardian in the absence of a living will to "make a treatment decision that may include a decision to withhold or withdraw life-sustaining treatment from the patient." The fact pattern envisioned by the Texas law almost fits precisely the facts of the Schiavo case.
Any reasonable person would have to deduce that bushie is playing politics, you think?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/23/05 at 3:51 pm

Right now they are saying another doctor is examining her and he thinks she MAY be in a state of minimal consciousness....

Written By: Mistress Leola on 03/23/05 at 3:54 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/23/politics/23repubs.html?ex=1269234000&en=b374f7629523357d&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland

"My party is demonstrating that they are for states' rights unless they don't like what states are doing," said Representative Christopher Shays of Connecticut, one of five House Republicans who voted against the bill. "This couldn't be a more classic case of a state responsibility."

Um, no Chris -- sorry.  It's a life and death issue.  Of course at root, it's an individual's own choice.  But as far as making law about how to handle situations where the individual's wishes are unclear, it's got to be Federal law.  Though of course this trend of re-working law based on individual situations is stupid.  As if there's never before been a situation where family members are in conflict about how to handle someone in a vegetative state?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/23/05 at 3:58 pm

how to handle someone in a vegetative state?
But if they can prove she's NOT in a vegatative state but a state of minimal consciousness... ???

Written By: Mistress Leola on 03/23/05 at 4:02 pm

Debilitated... whatever.  I'm saying it's not the first time someone was severely debilitated and unable to communicate their wishes.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/23/05 at 4:09 pm

But why should this become a federal case?  Only because it has achieved national attention and the neocons think they can make some political hay from it.  This whole situation is a travesty.  It is obscene beyond words. 

14 YEARS

"living" as a carrot.  Why go on?  Why the fuss?  What aree her parants thinking - if anything?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/23/05 at 4:25 pm

Again... if they can prove she's NOT in a vegatative state but a state of minimal consciousness.. ??? ???

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/23/05 at 4:41 pm

Again... if they can prove she's NOT in a vegatative state but a state of minimal consciousness.. ??? ???

After 14 years?  Give her a break (and me too).  Can't you see that this is a political ploy?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/23/05 at 4:43 pm

After 14 years?  Give her a break (and me too).  Can't you see that this is a political ploy?
I can definately see that as a possibility...but I can aslo see that anything is possible ;)

Written By: Apricot on 03/23/05 at 4:45 pm

Things are possible {I don't think EVERYthing is possible, though}, but isn't there a point to give up hope?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/23/05 at 4:55 pm

It is coming out now that Dr. Hammesfahr was NOT nominated for a Nobel Prize the way official nominees are nominated.  
Anybody with the mendacity to misrepresent himself as a nominee of the world's most prestigious award is most likely a crank, a fraud, and a quack.

And what the heck does "minimal state of consciousness" mean?  Schiavo's brain has been so damaged she has no self-awareness in any surmisable scientific sense.  You might as well put forth the premise that a rubber plant has a "minimal state of consciousness" and argue philosophically until four in the morning!

There is no prosthetic for lost gray matter.

As far as I'm concerned, if Tom DeLay really believes the Schindler family's wishful thinking as encouraged by their phony doctors, he is a superstitious kook.  However, I don't think DeLay really believes such.  I think he's engaging in political blackmail and bullying.  I wouldn't be surprised if Rep. DeLay didn't even really believe in God.

In the end, Schiavo will expire as hubby wishes, and the Republicans will collectively grin ear-to-ear at yet another successful assault on the United States Constitution.

If I did not believe in a kind of universal karma, I would light black candles and pray a black prayer for a most excruciating demise for all who voted for this measure.  I realize negative energy out only begets tenfold more negative energy in, so I'm trying to cool it these days.
8)

"This Republican Party of Lincoln has become a party of theocracy," Mr. Shays said. "There are going to be repercussions from this vote. There are a number of people who feel that the government is getting involved in their personal lives in a way that scares them."

I'm not a fan of Shays in general, but he is right-on here!  Didn't I say they were being "theocratic" just yesterday?

Written By: Mistress Leola on 03/23/05 at 4:57 pm

Well, whether or not it's a ploy to me is irrelevant.  An principle is valid or not, on its own merits.  It doesn't matter whether someone's arguing the principle out of cynicism or self interest.  

If I'm a 19th century politician arguing for women's suffrage because I think a large majority of women would give me their votes, that doesn't invalidate the principle.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/23/05 at 6:29 pm

And what the heck does "minimal state of consciousness" mean?

encouraged by their phony doctors,

What it Doesn't mean a "Vegatative" state.

Phony...I are you saying the Mayo Clinic hires phony doctors?

I'm just saying, let this guy examine her and if he can't prove anything different, let her go. Medical advancements have come so far in the last 20 years....I don't see the harm in this one last chance being investigated!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/23/05 at 7:50 pm

The fact remains that NOONE can be 100% sure of what her wishes are.  Even the doctors who have said that she is NOT in a vegetative state have said that there is no hope that she will ever "recover", even minimally, even they admit that she will never be any different than she is now.  There is no evidence that she is experiencing ANY sort of feelings:  no joy, no pain, no whatever.  The humane thing to do at this point is to let her go so everyone involved can get on with their lives.  It's the hardest thing in the world to do, but the time to do it has long since passed :(
I feel strongly about this getting just one more try...if there's any chance they can find anyhting I think they should hurry up and try...leave the feeding tube out as a way to hurry this along...if after one more examination, they don't find ANY difference then the family needs to let her go. I really want this doctor to have one last try, that's all. :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/23/05 at 10:13 pm

I feel strongly about this getting just one more try...if there's any chance they can find anyhting I think they should hurry up and try...leave the feeding tube out as a way to hurry this along...if after one more examination, they don't find ANY difference then the family needs to let her go. I really want this doctor to have one last try, that's all. :)

how many doctors have to look at her before you'll be satisfied though?  There's been several who have already stated for the record that she has no hopes of any type of recovery to anything remotely resembling what we term normal.

Bush passed laws in his own state that would have had her life ended already, but for this woman he thinks differently?  yeah, no politics there...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/23/05 at 11:22 pm

What it Doesn't mean a "Vegatative" state.

Phony...I are you saying the Mayo Clinic hires phony doctors?

I'm just saying, let this guy examine her and if he can't prove anything different, let her go. Medical advancements have come so far in the last 20 years....I don't see the harm in this one last chance being investigated!

He worked for Mayo, eh?  Well, even Mayo makes mistakes. 
I know you're gonna stick to your guns on this one because it's the position of the far-right.

Besides, if we euthenize people with "minimal states of consciousness" that puts 90% of the Republican party in jeopardy!
:D

Anyway, it's they've proved Terri can do math.  The Schindlers ask her what's the square root of zero, and she says nothing.
:P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/23/05 at 11:32 pm

how many doctors have to look at her before you'll be satisfied though?  There's been several who have already stated for the record that she has no hopes of any type of recovery to anything remotely resembling what we term normal.

Bush passed laws in his own state that would have had her life ended already, but for this woman he thinks differently?  yeah, no politics there...
I agree with you about the Bush crap...but I just want ONE more guy to have a chance to see...leave the tube out and tell him to hurry up...I'm just hoping for a miracle...that's all :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/23/05 at 11:56 pm

I agree with you about the Bush crap...but I just want ONE more guy to have a chance to see...leave the tube out and tell him to hurry up...I'm just hoping for a miracle...that's all :-\\

Yeah, well, it would take a supernatural "miracle" to bring Terri Schiavo around.  You have about as good a chance of mending Schiavo's brain as you do of bringing a dead man back to life!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/24/05 at 3:27 am

The fact remains that NOONE can be 100% sure of what her wishes are. 

Don't tell that to the left.  Give the man on death row 20 years, but Terri, who's doctors are conflicted on her real status, no rehab or any more chances.  This culture of death is sickening, the left seems to be cheering on her death.

Now we see that not one, not two, but three different nurses have said what the husband has been doing.  There is enough evidence to investigate Terri's soon-to-be death.

I hope Michael Schiavo rots in hell.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/24/05 at 4:48 am

Don't tell that to the left.  Give the man on death row 20 years, but Terri, who's doctors are conflicted on her real status, no rehab or any more chances.  This culture of death is sickening, the left seems to be cheering on her death.

Now we see that not one, not two, but three different nurses have said what the husband has been doing.  There is enough evidence to investigate Terri's soon-to-be death.

Noooooo!!!!  We on the "left" don't believe this matter is any of our business.  This bogus Republican-controlled Congress is full of self-appointed-other-people's-business-minders.  The medical and ethical decisions of the most painful situation of the Schiavo and Schindler families must be decided by them, the doctors, and the Florida courts.  If evidence of malfeasance on Mr. Schiavo's part comes to light, that is a matter for the police to investigate, and for the Florida courts to litigate.  OK, nosy right-wingers, get it straight:
Terrie Schiavo is
not your business
not your business
not your business
not your business
and
not your business!
Got it?  No, I didn't think so. 
The Right thinks they are annointed by the Lord himself to put their fingers in everybody's pie.  They are not conservatives, they are "christo-fascists."

For you, Mr. GWB2004, an adherent of a party that believes business ought to be able to be allowed to poison the environment for profit, a party that wants to go to war with everybody, a party that wants more capital punishment, a party that thinks healthcare ought be only for those who can pay outrageous fees, a party that thinks business ought to be able to make dangerously faulty products with impunity, a party that...well I could go on, but it would take all day!  (incomplete sentence)  Where the ef was I?  Oh yeah, for you to imply the Left is the culture of death is the silliest thing I have heard all week, but it's only Thursday.  You have plenty of time to top your own gag!
::) :P

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/24/05 at 10:49 am

the problem is, HER doctors are not conflicted.  The phony baloney doctors the Republicans have brought it to make this an issue are conflicted.  If you want to take the word of a nurse, who has no training in neuroscience, that's your call.

here's a comparision of her brain scan by someone who works in neuroscience:

http://www.amptoons.com/blog/archives/2005/03/20/regarding-the-cat-scan-of-terri-schiavos-brain/

she's dead folks.  She's not coming back no matter how much you pray for it.  There's nothing left in her head.  I took one year of biology 20 years ago, and even I know from looking at that scan, that nothing is left there.

the final comment in that blog posting says it all:

There is no way any qualified brain doctor or scientist could look at this image and suggest that significant recovery of function is possible. The fact that we could have all this discussion on the subject is a triumph of politics over science.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/24/05 at 1:37 pm

Look, I'm not in any way, shape or form saying that he's a "good guy", but those 3 nurses, if they TRULY thought he was abusing her had a "duty to act" by reporting the suspected abuse to the authorities.  Since they didn't, they are all guilty as well.  Before my class today, I was talking to another student (who is an RN who is going for her bachelor's degree in nursing) about this and she said that ANY medical professional is required BY LAW to report allegations of abuse/neglect of minors and those who are unable to do so themselves.

it's all from talk shows, these allegations.  None of these people have been shown on camera stating this.  All lies and rumours started by right wing talk show hosts to try and pull the heart strings.

The Supreme Court declined to hear the case, again today too.

Written By: Marian on 03/24/05 at 3:10 pm

Yeah, well, it would take a supernatural "miracle" to bring Terri Schiavo around.  You have about as good a chance of mending Schiavo's brain as you do of bringing a dead man back to life!
I know1There was a guy in Africa who cut off his year old nephew's head and boiled it.i would say that youngster would have a better chance of recovering than Schiavo did.

Written By: Snuff on 03/24/05 at 3:16 pm

I think that it's great the family wanted to keep her alive, but 14 years is too long. But if she was recovering, even just slightly, I can see why they'd keep her alive.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/24/05 at 3:58 pm

the problem is, HER doctors are not conflicted.  The phony baloney doctors the Republicans have brought it to make this an issue are conflicted.  If you want to take the word of a nurse, who has no training in neuroscience, that's your call.

here's a comparision of her brain scan by someone who works in neuroscience:

http://www.amptoons.com/blog/archives/2005/03/20/regarding-the-cat-scan-of-terri-schiavos-brain/

she's dead folks.  She's not coming back no matter how much you pray for it.  There's nothing left in her head.  I took one year of biology 20 years ago, and even I know from looking at that scan, that nothing is left there.

the final comment in that blog posting says it all:

There is no way any qualified brain doctor or scientist could look at this image and suggest that significant recovery of function is possible. The fact that we could have all this discussion on the subject is a triumph of politics over science.

I overheard that one of those pro-life "nurses" claimed Schiavo was drinking milkshakes at one point.  Boy, there sure are some nutty people surrounding this case.  Last night MSNBC's Joe Sourdough had Pat Buchanan and that howling potato chip of a man, Bill Donahue, from the Catholic League on his program.  Talk about swimming in sanctimony!  Those cranks were acting like it was the decline of Western civilization, but then again, that's their schtick about everything.  I wish all these idiots would quit their yapping!  To their credit, MSNBC did put Al Franken on the panel, but Joe just shouted him down.  Joe didn't let Franken make the point he was going to make about the baby who died last month in Texas.  The kid had terminal birth defects, but the hospital unplugged the little feller over his parents' objections because the parents didn't have a million bucks to keep life support going.  They did this under a law signed by Governor Bush.  If Schiavo was in Texas and the family could find no means to pay the bills, she would be long dead.
Chucky's right, anybody with an elementary understanding of the human brain can see Schiavo ain't comin' back!  I haven't seen such contempt for the principles of science since the state of Kansas tried to ban evolution in the schools!

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/24/05 at 4:24 pm

Chucky's right, anybody with an elementary understanding of the human brain can see Schiavo ain't comin' back!  I haven't seen such contempt for the principles of science since the state of Kansas tried to ban evolution in the schools!

then you'll really lose your lunch when you hear that Florida has a bill that made it through one subcomitte already, to allow students to sue college professors who teach evolution.

http://www.alligator.org/pt2/050323freedom.php

the neoconservatives detest science and education, always have, it makes them look bad.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/24/05 at 5:05 pm

it appears all these "she's talking" and other lies come from ONE nurse

Iyer says Terri would sit up in the nurse's station from time to time and laugh at stories they told. She felt pain and would indicate so. Carla fed her by mouth and not by tube. Does this sound like a woman in persistent vegetative state for the past 15 years?

Here's what the judge had to say about it

Ms. Iyer details what amounts to a 15-month cover-up which would include the staff of Palm Garden of Lago Convalescent Center, the Guardian of the Person, the Guardian ad Litem, the medical professionals, the police and, believe it or not, Mr. and Mrs. Schindler. Her affidavit clearly states that she would "call them (Mr. and Mrs. Schindler) anyway because I thought they should know about their daughter." ... It is impossible to believe that Mr. and Mrs. Schindler would not have subpoenaed Ms. Iyer for the January 2000 evidentiary hearing had she contacted them as her affidavit alleges.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/24/05 at 5:06 pm

this is even funnier

National Review, one of the most conservative rags on the planet

http://www.nationalreview.com/thecorner/05_03_20_corner-archive.asp#059136

One of the depressing -- I am not being facetious, it really does depress me -- features of the past couple of days has been watching the talking-heads left-right programs on the telly and wishing I could cheer on the righty -- the side of any argument I would instinctively support -- but not being able to.

Watching Hannity & Colmes Tuesday night I found myself nursing a devout hope that if I ever enter a persistent vegetative state, Sean Hannity is nowhere in the neighborhood.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/24/05 at 5:48 pm

AS I understand it, the Supreme Court has refused to hear this case, so in a few days, this long-suffering woman will be dead and gone, and we can all forget (will forget, unfortunately) how the religious right and their lackies tried to convert a personal trajedy into political capital.  Shame on all of them.

Written By: saver on 03/24/05 at 5:52 pm

Isn't Jeb B trying to get custody of her??

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/24/05 at 6:00 pm

Isn't Jeb B trying to get custody of her??

Yes, I understans that he is, just another ploy, which probably will fail.  I would respect the effort if it wenen't so blatantly political.  Face it, these people (Jeb, Bill Frist, Hasstret) don't give a rat's a.. about Terry.  They want the politcal milage theyt can get out of this.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/24/05 at 7:20 pm

Yes, I understans that he is, just another ploy, which probably will fail. I would respect the effort if it wenen't so blatantly political. Face it, these people (Jeb, Bill Frist, Hasstret) don't give a rat's a.. about Terry. They want the politcal milage theyt can get out of this.
I really hate that the Conservative 'moral beacons'(hahahahahahahahaha yeah right)are using someone's life as a political football...I say let Terri go...and the parents need some serious GRIEF COUNSELING!!

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/24/05 at 7:21 pm

Easier said than done, Tonyfan. :(
I really hate that the Conservative 'moral beacons'(hahahahahahahahaha yeah right)are using someone's life as a political football...I say let Terri go...and the parents need some serious GRIEF COUNSELING!!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/24/05 at 11:21 pm

Look, I'm not in any way, shape or form saying that he's a "good guy", but those 3 nurses, if they TRULY thought he was abusing her had a "duty to act" by reporting the suspected abuse to the authorities.  Since they didn't, they are all guilty as well.  Before my class today, I was talking to another student (who is an RN who is going for her bachelor's degree in nursing) about this and she said that ANY medical professional is required BY LAW to report allegations of abuse/neglect of minors and those who are unable to do so themselves.

They did report their allegations.  One nurse took it to the sheriff, and was fired the next day.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/24/05 at 11:27 pm

Yes, I understans that he is, just another ploy, which probably will fail.  I would respect the effort if it wenen't so blatantly political.  Face it, these people (Jeb, Bill Frist, Hasstret) don't give a rat's a.. about Terry.  They want the politcal milage theyt can get out of this.

Exactly.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/25/05 at 1:10 am

As a full week of this idiocy draws to a close, all I can say is, don't you love the priorities of the most powerful nation on Earth being dictated by a bunch of over-emotional right-wing crackpots?

I hope everyone reads the link Chucky posted to that story about teaching evolution Florida colleges. 

The Right is being driven by irrational nincompoops!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/25/05 at 1:26 am

here's the thing......
some people are just saying, "let her go in peace"...etc.....as far as I am concerned...this poor woman was never even given the chance to "make it better". Her husband has been denying therapies for her for years...they even said that if she had undergone therapy from the beginning...she could have progressed a great deal....but no....he denied it.
Let's all step back and take a good look...it certainly doesn't take a rocket scientist to make an observation that the husband is and has been making severe attempts to hide "something"....by denying treatments that could have possibly restored Terry's speech and/or more, being totally adament about knowing that "this is what she would have wanted"...even though it was not recorded, denying her family access to her under every circumstance, and I am sure many more reasons.
There has even been proof that she DID NOT suffer from a heart attack...but severe trauma to her neck...quoted by a doctor....."as seen in most strangulation cases".
Terry knows way too much information......info that if she could "speak" or normally communicate with people, would have informed them by now of what exactly happened to her years ago.
I just don't understand what kind of husband, government figures...or furthermore, a nation could condone the act of depriving a living, breathing human being the ability of consuming food in any circumstance. Terry may not look like she is living...but technically she IS ALIVE.....she is not a vegetable...she is NOT on any oxygen type of machine...she is merely being fed through a tube.......
Nobody knows what is going on in her head.....I have seen people who suffer horribly from MS...or other crippling diseases...from the outside, they appear to be a mere shell of a person...they APPEAR to be mentally retarded or incompetent....but on the inside...they are "normal" human beings...with feelings.
What is next if something like the death of Terry goes through??? Will they start to condone putting old people, retarded people..etc. "out of their misery"??? I mean....where do they draw the line? If one situation is ok...then will all of the others be ok as well?
I think before one makes the statement, "Let her die in peace".....one should keep in mind that this woman is the innocent party...she never did anything to anyone...yet she must suffer being starved (and no, it's not a calm and peaceful death)....while let's say...inmates who are on death row and receive the death penalty (for reasons well deserved)...don't even have to undergo the kind of suffering that this innocent woman is going through as I type.
The whole thing just makes me very sad......and it puts very little faith in those that make and endorse decisions in this country.

God Bless Terry

Erin

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/25/05 at 2:21 am

Remember who the party of death is.  Euthanasia, abortion, feeding tubes being removed.  Don't let them fool you.

http://lang.dailybulletin.com/opinions/cartoon/archive/0305/25/gordon450.gif

http://homepage.mac.com/ryskind/.Pictures/Heart%20Disease.jpg

http://www.cnsnews.com/cartoon/nowakimages/2005/longarm.jpg

http://cagle.slate.msn.com/working/050323/koterba.gif

"The United States' unanimous defense of life is impressive; it's a stop to euthanasia from one of the most advanced, modern, and wealthy countries.  That should make us think."
-Italy's European Affairs minister, Rocco Buttiglione.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/25/05 at 11:46 am

Remember who the party of death is.  Euthanasia, abortion, feeding tubes being removed.  Don't let them fool you.

The Republicans. 

They prefer a woman to die rather than get an abortion. 

They prefer doctors to pull the plug when the insurance companies no longer want to foot the bill.

They're all in favor of executing children, mentally incapacitated individuals

that was who you meant right?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/25/05 at 12:09 pm

The Republicans. 

They prefer doctors to pull the plug when the insurance companies no longer want to foot the bill.

Touche

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/25/05 at 2:57 pm

The Republicans. 

As he reads this he's doing the equivalent of blocking his ears and yelling, "blah blah blah blah I'm not listening to Chucky!"
It's not Nancy Pelosi who wants to let corporations dump more mercury into the atmosphere!  It isn't Howard Dean who wants to deny little children nutritional subisidies and medicaide!

Oh well, maybe GWB2004 has seen the footage of John Kerry feeding cyanide to handicapped kids, and the rest of us haven't!

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/25/05 at 3:23 pm

As he reads this he's doing the equivalent of blocking his ears and yelling, "blah blah blah blah I'm not listening to Chucky!"
It's not Nancy Pelosi who wants to let corporations dump more mercury into the atmosphere!  It isn't Howard Dean who wants to deny little children nutritional subisidies and medicaide!

I don't think he actually responds to posts, he just reposts whatever drivel appears at Newsmax each morning and logs out.

Oh well, maybe GWB2004 has seen the footage of John Kerry feeding cyanide to handicapped kids, and the rest of us haven't!

I'm sure someone has faked it already, and paid a pundit to talk about it.

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/25/05 at 5:05 pm

Why would Kerry need cyanide when the kids can feed off the crap he said during the election?  ;D

All kidding aside, I think it's wrong to pull the plug on Terry Schiavo unless the doctors are sure she will pass on quickly and painlessly. And unless Michael Schiavo was told by her not to save her before her coma, then we can't know what she did say to him or his parents. But I disagree with the way Jeb Bush is handling this case. Unless he was a prosecutor during Michael's battery trial and can PROVE beyond a shadow of a doubt (or reasonable doubt) likewise, he has no right to call him a wife beater.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/25/05 at 6:31 pm

Why would Kerry need cyanide when the kids can feed off the crap he said during the election?  ;D

All kidding aside, I think it's wrong to pull the plug on Terry Schiavo unless the doctors are sure she will pass on quickly and painlessly. And unless Michael Schiavo was told by her not to save her before her coma, then we can't know what she did say to him or his parents. But I disagree with the way Jeb Bush is handling this case. Unless he was a prosecutor during Michael's battery trial and can PROVE beyond a shadow of a doubt (or reasonable doubt) likewise, he has no right to call him a wife beater.

not only that, but if was indeed from assault, it would have shown up during the initial medial investigation when she was first admitted.  Doctors tend to notice that, and also have to report it.  It's just another means for the Republicans to confuse the issue.  Especially considering their past history, like this for example:

Senator Tom Coburn, Republican of Oklahoma and a family practice doctor, who said in an interview, 'I don't think you have to examine her. All you have to do is look at her on TV. Any doctor with any conscience can look at her and know that she does not have a terminal disease and know that she has some function.'

but back in 1998, he said:

an interview after 's panel appearance, he conceded the issue of caring for a terminally ill patient brings with it complex questions and is not always simple. For example, under certain circumstances when there is no hope of recovery, he said physicians should have the option of withholding nutrients and water from a dying patient. Coburn said he has done that in the past. 'If somebody does not want a feeding tube, I won't put a feeding tube down,' he said.

it's really sickening to see someone like DeLay use this to draw attention away from his own scandals.  This guy should have been forced from office due to ethics violations far worse than anything Clinton was ever accused of.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/25/05 at 6:34 pm

And given the death toll in Iraq (over 1500 US personel and thousanda, if not hundreds of thopusands of Irauis) and in Afganistan (2 women and three kids killed just yesterday in a fire fight) just which is the party of life?  Or maybe the deaths of those "rag heads" as one of Reagan's dept. secretaries called them, just don't matter.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/25/05 at 6:41 pm

not only that, but if was indeed from assault, it would have shown up during the initial medial investigation when she was first admitted.  Doctors tend to notice that, and also have to report it.  It's just another means for the Republicans to confuse the issue.  Especially considering their past history, like this for example:

Senator Tom Coburn, Republican of Oklahoma and a family practice doctor, who said in an interview, 'I don't think you have to examine her. All you have to do is look at her on TV. Any doctor with any conscience can look at her and know that she does not have a terminal disease and know that she has some function.'

an interview after 's panel appearance, he conceded the issue of caring for a terminally ill patient brings with it complex questions and is not always simple. For example, under certain circumstances when there is no hope of recovery, he said physicians should have the option of withholding nutrients and water from a dying patient. Coburn said he has done that in the past. 'If somebody does not want a feeding tube, I won't put a feeding tube down,' he said.

it's really sickening to see someone like DeLay use this to draw attention away from his own scandals.  This guy should have been forced from office due to ethics violations far worse than anything Clinton was ever accused of.

But, as we all know, its political grandstanding.  Evan some Repub's, like Chris Shays have recognized that.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/25/05 at 10:43 pm

not only that, but if was indeed from assault, it would have shown up during the initial medial investigation when she was first admitted. Doctors tend to notice that, and also have to report it. It's just another means for the Republicans to confuse the issue. Especially considering their past history, like this for example:

it's really sickening to see someone like DeLay use this to draw attention away from his own scandals. This guy should have been forced from office due to ethics violations far worse than anything Clinton was ever accused of.
I hate the fact that George W. Bush has a "Savior" complex when it comes to Terri Schiavo...GWB is just trying to 1)play God and 2)keep all his right-wing,martini-drinking,Lexus/Infiniti/Mercedes Benz owning,country -club membership good buddies on his side!!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/26/05 at 12:13 am

http://www.indystar.com/images/pics2/section-image-106757-6954.jpg

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/26/05 at 5:15 am

Don't even try equating basketball with what you THINK the Democrats are responsible for...and WAKE UP and see that George W. Bush is meddling in something that is really NONE OF HIS BUSINESS.....!

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/26/05 at 5:03 pm

This just goes to show the level of moral commitment to this poor woman, and the depths to which the neocons will sink to "makle hay while Terry dies"  The longer they can keep her alive, the more hay they can make.  Look for this to be an issue in the next election.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/26/05 at 5:16 pm

I hate the fact that George W. Bush has a "Savior" complex when it comes to Terri Schiavo...GWB is just trying to 1)play God and 2)keep all his right-wing,martini-drinking,Lexus/Infiniti/Mercedes Benz owning,country -club membership good buddies on his side!!

The right-wing,martini-drinking,Lexus/Infiniti/Mercedes Benz owning,country -club membership good buddies are always a sure bet for Bush.  He's making a bid for the average American who goes to Church on Sunday and is two paychecks away foreclosure and bankruptcy.  All of Bush's economic policies hurt the average person, so he's got nothing left other than this kind of flapdoodle.

It has come to my attention that Schiavo's care has been taxpayer-funded over the past fifteen years.  H8ll, only the super rich families like the family of Sunny Von Bulow can afford to fund such incredibly expensive care privately.  
Some how it is fine with the Right to keep Schiavo alive out of the public coffers when Schiavo will never recover, yet they object to going to the lengths it takes to insure all children have the kind of healthcare and nutrition that will maximise their health for the rest of their lives.  WTF!
Of course, all the pundits (including that serpent of Eden, Dennis Miller) loooove to slander the Left as rooting for Schiavo to die and convicted murderers to live.  Could they Right be any sleazier about it?  The capital punishment comparison has no legitimacy.  

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/27/05 at 8:29 am

This just goes to show the level of moral commitment to this poor woman, and the depths to which the neocons will sink to "makle hay while Terry dies"  The longer they can keep her alive, the more hay they can make.  Look for this to be an issue in the next election.

I hate to say this, and I know it's going to ruffle some feathers, but Hitler would be proud.  Hitler loved killing of disabled people and non-contributing members of society.  Hitler would have killed off Terri Schindler in her first year and did like the American left, call it compassion.

What's that?  Terri wanted this?  How do you know, do she have a living will?  There is no proof Terri Schindler wanted this, only the word of Michael Schiavo and Michael Schiavo's brother.  Funny that Bob and Mary Schindler, nor Terri's brother or cousin never heard her say that.  Michael could easily walk away and this whole thing would have been avoided.  But mister morals, mister Catholic, says he's only following Terri's wishes by not letting her parents see her and forcing a cremation which is not traditional Catholic like Terri Schindler is.  The man does not care about morals, for God's sake he's been having sex with another woman while his brain-damaged WIFE lays in a hospice.  The man has two new out-of-wedlock children.  It's time to stop pretending Michael Schiavo is a good man, and it's time for Michael to move on and be looking over his shoulder for the rest of his wife-beating life.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/27/05 at 8:49 am

I must reiterate that georgie, when governor of Texas, signed legislation in Texas that allowed the hospital, above the objections of family members, to remove feeding tubes.  Now he runs to Washington to be
able to sign a bill that will pertain to one person and one person only, that flip flops his position, we all know, as well as he, that it wasn't going to happen. Hitler was a master of media manipulation.  You want to invoke Hitler?  Well here you are.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/27/05 at 7:15 pm

That woman has been dead for 15 years. What is lying in that hopsice down in Florida is just a hunk of meat being kept alive. If there is no conciousness, there is no person. The EKGs have all shown no cereberal activity whatsoever. Terri only has brain stem activity, which is involuntary body functions, movements, and reactions. She is completely brain dead. 7 years ago my aunt was in this position, and my family talked it over with her husband, and they all decided to let her body die because like Terri, she was already brain dead.

I understand it might be hard for her parents to let go, but it is past time. Their daughter is dead, and what they are doing makes them seem like selfish jerks. Her husband was her contemparary, if anyone would know her wishes it would be him. If he just wants to re-marry, she wouldn't have to die he could divorce her. He has nothing to gain other than some peace finally. Terri is gone and not coming back.

I can't believe Congress would try to intervene like this in a way which is way beyond their Constitutional powers. I thought the Republican party was the Party of small government? Or is it more like small in the sense of taking government supervision out of the ECONOMY(deregulation and tax cuts for the wealthy) where they actually have some business being involved in, and putting the government into our personal lives where they do NOT belong?

Anywho, it was bizarre on Congress' part regardless of party affiliations. The majority of Americans clearly support the husband, not the parents.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/28/05 at 1:08 am

Or is it more like small in the sense of taking government supervision out of the ECONOMY(deregulation and tax cuts for the wealthy) where they actually have some business being involved in, and putting the government into our personal lives where they do NOT belong?

That's crap.  The government has no place interfering in the free market or being in my paycheck.

And please stop repeating that "tax cuts for the rich lie."  Five million poor people who paid taxes under Clinton no longer pay taxes because of this tax cut.  Everyone who pays federal income taxes got a tax cut.  How can you give tax cuts to people who don't even pay taxes?

Written By: saver on 03/28/05 at 2:10 am

How about those that are saying they asked Terri if she wants to live and she made a sound?

Come up with a way to maybe..blink once for live twice for die? Look left for live right for die..some limited movement they claim she has?

Maybe the brain regenerates and she has some left why aren't we all seeing what they claim are her actions to live now that we're all caught up in claiming the Pres. shouldn't be involved??

just wondering if there could be more but apparently not...that's what you get with
no forma-legal writtenl 'will'. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/28/05 at 3:40 am

How about those that are saying they asked Terri if she wants to live and she made a sound?

Come up with a way to maybe..blink once for live twice for die? Look left for live right for die..some limited movement they claim she has?

Maybe the brain regenerates and she has some left why aren't we all seeing what they claim are her actions to live now that we're all caught up in claiming the Pres. shouldn't be involved??

just wondering if there could be more but apparently not...that's what you get with
no forma-legal writtenl 'will'. 

"Call any vegetable and the chances are good that the vegetable will respond to you!"
--Frank Z.

OK, here is a little visual quiz to determine your Religious Right credentials:
WHICH ONE IS THE VEGETABLE?
http://davidmorrison.typepad.com/sed_contra/terri.jpg
OR
http://bohr.physics.hku.hk/~yscn0018/images/ketchup.jpg

It's a cheap shot, but somebody had to take aim and fire before Schiavo's vitals shut down for good.
:-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/28/05 at 4:09 am

GWB wrote
That's crap.  The government has no place interfering in the free market or being in my paycheck.
Oh dear!  How shall I explain?  You see, about 100,000 years ago human beings got together to do stuff, and we call this getting-together "society."  Now, in order to make "society" work...
Well, I can see I'm boring you.  The long and the short of it is, I think you can still opt out.  There a some islands in the South Pacific where you don't have any government interference or taxes.  Think Robinson Crusoe worried about the 15th of April?  HA!  And talk about your ultimate Free Market!  You better go catch them fish, 'coz there ain't no welfare out there in your tropical paradise!

And please stop repeating that "tax cuts for the rich lie."  Five million poor people who paid taxes under Clinton no longer pay taxes because of this tax cut.  Everyone who pays federal income taxes got a tax cut.  How can you give tax cuts to people who don't even pay taxes?
Reminds me of last Friday.  I struck up a conversation with a pretty blonde co-ed in one of our local watering holes here.  I was making good time, but then politics got into it and she declared "But the rich pay over 90% of the taxes."  If I was going to leave with her phone number (which I did), I would have to bow out.  I just recommended
David Cay Johnston: Perfectly Legal
I recommend this book to anyone who wants to understand how the American tax system really works.  Now, I caution conservatives here, you have to WANNA learn, and you have to be willing to read a book NOT published by Regnery.
I have explained the lies the Right and the Right's lapdog media tell about taxes time and again, and I'm too bored with the process to repeat it!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/28/05 at 5:00 am

GWB wroteOh dear!  How shall I explain?  You see, about 100,000 years ago human beings got together to do stuff, and we call this getting-together "society."  Now, in order to make "society" work...
Well, I can see I'm boring you.  The long and the short of it is, I think you can still opt out.  There a some islands in the South Pacific where you don't have any government interference or taxes.  Think Robinson Crusoe worried about the 15th of April?  HA!  And talk about your ultimate Free Market!  You better go catch them fish, 'coz there ain't no welfare out there in your tropical paradise!
Reminds me of last Friday.  I struck up a conversation with a pretty blonde co-ed in one of our local watering holes here.  I was making good time, but then politics got into it and she declared "But the rich pay over 90% of the taxes."  If I was going to leave with her phone number (which I did), I would have to bow out.  I just recommended
David Cay Johnston: Perfectly Legal
I recommend this book to anyone who wants to understand how the American tax system really works.  Now, I caution conservatives here, you have to WANNA learn, and you have to be willing to read a book NOT published by Regnery.
I have explained the lies the Right and the Right's lapdog media tell about taxes time and again, and I'm too bored with the process to repeat it!

First point: I'm not saying do away with all taxes.  I'm saying that we take more than enough as it is.  I think we pay over half of our money in federal income taxes, state income taxes, local income taxes, gas taxes, sales taxes, luxery taxes.  How far should this go?  Do the government need 75%?  The government has more than enough money to run this country.  By the if we pass the fair tax (http://www.fairtax.org) April 15th will become just another day.

The fact is your friend (if she's real) is pretty much right.  As I've written over and over and provided the data to prove it, the top 50% of wage earners pay 96.03% of all income taxes collected in this country.  And the top 20% pay 80% collected.  Talk about punishing success!

Written By: saver on 03/28/05 at 5:05 am

to see where someone stands ask : what would we be better off doing away with...lawyers or insurance companies..that'll give you an idea who you might be dealing with....(it also is in the same vane as the follow up question Pro-choice or pro-life, and death penalty or no death penalty)? 

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/28/05 at 10:39 am

I hate to say this, and I know it's going to ruffle some feathers, but Hitler would be proud.  Hitler loved killing of disabled people and non-contributing members of society.  Hitler would have killed off Terri Schindler in her first year and did like the American left, call it compassion.

I'm sure Hitler would be very proud of Bush. 

You still haven't responded about the law Bush passed that allows the removal of a feeding tube in the first place.  He can pay it lip service all he wants, but the fact remains, he legalized it in the first place, and was nowhere to be seen in previous cases.  Has Bush come out and publically admitted that the law he signed in 1999 was wrong?  No?  Didn't think so.

The word of the day is hypocrit.  Look it up, when you understand what it means, feel free to discuss the above statement.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/28/05 at 11:47 am

more examples of hypocrasy:

DeLay has denounced Schiavo's husband, as well as judges, for committing what he calls "an act of barbarism" in removing the tube. In 1988, however, there was no such fiery rhetoric as the congressman quietly joined the sad family consensus to let his father die.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-delay27mar27,0,5710023.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/28/05 at 3:38 pm

http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101050404/poll/2.html

yup, people really support Congress and the Pres. on this one

Written By: saver on 03/28/05 at 4:12 pm

Well, each case is different.

We as society are there to protect life not end it because of any he said-she said..
get them documents together...

Last I heard there was confusion if Terri was totally brain void or others claim she has something inside calling out to save her..get this correct and you win the prize for being correct.

If you were against all the government involvement..where were you when Elian Gonzales had the courts fight over him staying or leaving..?/ Round and round it goes.. :D 

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/28/05 at 4:32 pm

You keep refering to the government as if it were some alian entity imposed on us by those evil Martians, Saturnians, or Uranusians.  Last time I looked (and heard from our president) we are the force of democracy around the world.  As I understand that term it means

government by the people

or am I missing something?  That means that "we the people" can collectively decide to assess you and everyone else to make services available that you (or I) might not use.  For example, all of my kids are out of school, yet I still pay taxes to support public education. 

We the People

can decide how "free" the market should be, and limit it as we have.  For example, in a totally free market, your employer would not be legally bound to recognize your union or to negotiate with it, and you could be summarilly fired for being a member.

As to the "tax cuts", the facts speak for themselves.  The rich got upwards of 90% of them, the poor got a few crumbs, and the middle class took a hit.  My taxes went

UP

as a result of the tax "cut".  Thanks Lil' Georgie.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/28/05 at 4:54 pm

You keep refering to the government as if it were some alian entity imposed on us by those evil Martians, Saturnians, or Uranusians.  Last time I looked (and heard from our president) we are the force of democracy around the world.  As I understand that term it means

government by the people

or am I missing something?  That means that "we the people" can collectively decide to assess you and everyone else to make services available that you (or I) might not use.  For example, all of my kids are out of school, yet I still pay taxes to support public education. 

We the People

can decide how "free" the market should be, and limit it as we have.  For example, in a totally free market, your employer would not be legally bound to recognize your union or to negotiate with it, and you could be summarilly fired for being a member.

As to the "tax cuts", the facts speak for themselves.  The rich got upwards of 90% of them, the poor got a few crumbs, and the middle class took a hit.  My taxes went

UP

as a result of the tax "cut".  Thanks Lil' Georgie.

Think he gets it now?

GWB wrote The fact is your friend (if she's real) is pretty much right.
Whether she becomes my friend or anything else is dubious.  She's obviously too young for me, but you gotta try to make hay while the sun still shines!
:-X
(Funny thing is, the only gal I'm actively pursuing is named Pamela, but as what you might call a "cyber punk" her alternative name is "Chaos."  Hmmmm..."Maxwell Smart" and "Chaos," a match made in heaven, eh?)
Anyway, you ain't gonna lure me into another debate about taxes.  Been there done that.

Chucky wrote more examples of hypocrasy:

DeLay has denounced Schiavo's husband, as well as judges, for committing what he calls "an act of barbarism" in removing the tube. In 1988, however, there was no such fiery rhetoric as the congressman quietly joined the sad family consensus to let his father die.

He is throwing a bone to the anti-choice fanatics who control the social agenda of the GOP.  As with abortion, no matter what the law is, the rich and powerful will always be able to skirt around it.  If a Republican congressman's daughter wants an abortion, she'll be able to get one even if abortions are banned in her state after Roe v. Wade is overturned.  Likewise, if the goverment interferes with family decision making on "right to die" issues, guys like DeLay will still be able to exempt their families via their power and influence.  One set of rules for the bigshots, another set of rules for us.

Written By: saver on 03/28/05 at 7:56 pm

Same here...was just opening up eyes to the fact in Elions' case people wanted the government to be involved in CLAIMING him and with Terri...people are screaming for Jeb to CLAIM her which they almost did...the only thing that stopped them was they told the county police they were coming for her..the other way...they surprised them and took EG..that sounds about the same behind it..the difference was JB had told them they were comin'

I think it is something how all these neurodocs are claiming she's still ok- then again..you can pay the right doc to say anything,..so how is it settled? I say err on side of life..not to be rightious/religious..just practical..no matter what they think of her hubby floating around with a new wife..THAT must be some law they let slide in Florida..unless they address it after all this is over..

Now they're talking/fighting over the remains...forget the religious fanatics..SOMEONE must know how to tell if someone is inside trying to get out!!  :-\\

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/30/05 at 4:51 pm

apples and oranges.....2 TOTALLY different arguments.

That's right.  Elian was kidnapped by his mother and removed from his country under duress - and almost died as a result.  If I did anything approaching that, I would be tried for child endangerment, and so would you.  Terri, on the other hand, has been brain dead for 14 years.  Enough is enough.  The cost to support her could be much better spent saving  people WHO ARE STILL ALIVE.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/31/05 at 2:12 am

If I had my druthers the good lord would do the old switcheroo.  Schiavo would miraculously get up and walk out a perfect specimen of health, and Randy Terror, I mean Randall Terry, would on a feeding tube, lights on, nobody home!  Oh, and He'd tell Jesse Jackson to go do something useful, or he's next!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/31/05 at 11:05 am

RIP Terri Schiavo..... :\'(

The debate is over

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/31/05 at 11:08 am

The debate is over

This thread should be over: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,8836.0.html

Written By: Mushroom on 03/31/05 at 11:36 am

I'm sure Hitler would be very proud of Bush. 

You still haven't responded about the law Bush passed that allows the removal of a feeding tube in the first place.  He can pay it lip service all he wants, but the fact remains, he legalized it in the first place, and was nowhere to be seen in previous cases.  Has Bush come out and publically admitted that the law he signed in 1999 was wrong?  No?  Didn't think so.

The last time I checked, Bush has never passed any laws.  That is a right of the legislature.  He can only sign them or veto them.

While this is sad, it is also a far cry from what Hitler did.  He killed tens of thousands of people, some of them only suffering from mild retardation.  This was to prevent "contamination", a far cry from this case.

This also drives home a very important thing that everybody needs.  Make a living will!

Having had to make this decision in the past, I can tell you first hand how heartbreaking it is.  Do this, to prevent such pain to others.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/31/05 at 11:41 am

While this is sad, it is also a far cry from what Hitler did.  He killed tens of thousands of people, some of them only suffering from mild retardation.  This was to prevent "contamination", a far cry from this case.

I know it's nothing close to what Adolf Hitler did, but I'm saying Hitler certainly wouldn't have let Terri Schindler live.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/31/05 at 11:53 am

One thing to think about:

One of the reasons that this passed is that she was on Medicare.  The cost of keeping her alive was astronimacal.

For those that want "Socialized Medicine", think about what just happened.  If we had "Universal Care", do you think that most of us would have lived as long in such a state as Terri?  Terri had private insurance for 13 years, and they payed for her care.  2 years under Government Insurance, and she is now gone.

This is not intended as a "for or against" post, just want to get some of you thinking.

And please remember, LIVING WILL!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/31/05 at 11:57 am

One thing to think about:

One of the reasons that this passed is that she was on Medicare.  The cost of keeping her alive was astronimacal.

For those that want "Socialized Medicine", think about what just happened.  If we had "Universal Care", do you think that most of us would have lived as long in such a state as Terri?  Terri had private insurance for 13 years, and they payed for her care.  2 years under Government Insurance, and she is now gone.

This is not intended as a "for or against" post, just want to get some of you thinking.

And please remember, LIVING WILL!

I didn't think about.  Our private health care system does put Canada and Europe and they're high taxes and long waiting periods to shame.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/31/05 at 12:22 pm

The last time I checked, Bush has never passed any laws.  That is a right of the legislature.  He can only sign them or veto them.

This also drives home a very important thing that everybody needs.  Make a living will!

Having had to make this decision in the past, I can tell you first hand how heartbreaking it is.  Do this, to prevent such pain to others.

So the executive branch signing a law into effect is not passing a law?  I guess that whole legislative/judical/executive thing doesn't really apply, so when the executive branch signs it, it's just a mere formality?  You'll notice all this does is ignore Bush and the Republican parties abuse of the democratic process, and my original point is still not addressed.

You may think it's not as bad as what Hitler did, but I happen to think the destruction of the democratic process is pretty noteworthy.  That's what the Republicans have been doing, trying to remove the judical branch of the checks and balances since they can't control it.  This is one way to try and do it. Fortunately the system is still working and they haven't been successful.  Once it's gone it doesn't come back.  How many people will be harmed by this?  Anyone who doesn't currently supported the elected party I suppose, or people in foreign countries that never attack us, but happen to have oil under their feet.

A living will is not a legal document in some states, and not the only thing you need to do.  You need to designate who will make medical decisions on your behalf, which requires a lawyer. Most people don't consider doing it until they have serious problems already, but really anyone over the age of 18 should do it.  Currently the law designates your spouse as being able to make medical decisions on your behalf.  If you don't trust your spouse, you should designate your parents or someone else. 

Written By: Mushroom on 03/31/05 at 12:33 pm

You may think it's not as bad as what Hitler did, but I happen to think the destruction of the democratic process is pretty noteworthy.  That's what the Republicans have been doing, trying to remove the judical branch of the checks and balances since they can't control it.  This is one way to try and do it. Fortunately the system is still working and they haven't been successful.  Once it's gone it doesn't come back.  How many people will be harmed by this?  Anyone who doesn't currently supported the elected party I suppose, or people in foreign countries that never attack us, but happen to have oil under their feet.

I will make my reply short.

So this time, you are upset that Bush let somebody die?  Let me try and figure this out.  His "Hand Picked" Supreme Court allowed her to die.  Even though his Brother (and George Bush himself) tried anything they could do LEGALLY to let her live, it is their fault she died.

And this makes them the bad guys, while people like "Jack The Dripper" are heros, because they preserve "dignity".  And while killing unborn children is OK, killing convicted murderers and Terri was wrong.  I am not taking sides in this, I am just pointing out how convoluted this thread has become.

One person who I applaud in this case is (believe it or not) Jessie Jackson.  I know he is a grandstanding jackass.  But he was able to put aside partasin politics and stand with Catholics, Jews, and arch-conservatives and take a side in an issue, and NOT make it political.  In fact, I heard one statement he made which praised Jeb for trying to do what was right.  If Jessie can do that, why can't others?

A living will is not a legal document in some states, and not the only thing you need to do.  You need to designate who will make medical decisions on your behalf, which requires a lawyer. Most people don't consider doing it until they have serious problems already, but really anyone over the age of 18 should do it.  Currently the law designates your spouse as being able to make medical decisions on your behalf.  If you don't trust your spouse, you should designate your parents or someone else. 

A living will can often be overturned, very easily.  But what it DOES do is to make the wishes of the patient clear.  A lot of the problem in this case is that we only had her husband's say-so as to what her wish was.  If she had this document (even if it was not legal), it would have diffused a lot of the arguement on both sides.

Check for new replies or respond here...