» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Why do we Fight? A new film about war and what drives it

Written By: UKVisitor on 03/23/05 at 11:19 pm

I just watched the movie "Why we Fight" directed by Eugene Jarecki and found it a very thought provoking and less bombastic attempt to understand the post WW2 history of American militarism.

To quote the director "One of the things that the film focuses on is the extraordinary prophesy issued by Dwight D Eisenhower in his last moments as president. He warned the American public of this "military-industrial complex" - a confluence of power that he saw as a threat to democracy itself". You can read the full interview at :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/storyville/eugene-jarecki.shtml

I think this film is much more balanced that anything by Michael Moore and all the more though-provoking as a result. It doesn't paint a picture of one bad guy pulling all the strings but talks about the complexity of militarism when it becomes so ingrained in society, industry and in politics. I would heartly recommend everyone to check this film out as it features interviews with americans from all political and professional backgrounds. I came away feeling more anti-war than I have felt since I was a teenager and I'd be interested what other people think when they see it.

Subject: Re: Why do we Fight? A new film about war and what drives it

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 03/24/05 at 8:48 pm

Where do I find this at the theater or is it direct to video?  I definitely want to see this.

Subject: Re: Why do we Fight? A new film about war and what drives it

Written By: UKVisitor on 03/24/05 at 10:44 pm

It was on BBC4 on Wednesday night so perhaps it will be on BBC World in the USA shortly. I checked on the web and found this page from the Sundance film festival: http://festival.sundance.org/2005/filmguide/popup.aspx?film=5745
Which has some contacts. As I said originally, an amazing documentary featuring a balance of views including Republicans against militarism which was quite a surprise to me in the UK and nice to hear.

Check for new replies or respond here...