» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Look out Easter Bunny... Here Comes The Chocolate Cross!!!!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/25/05 at 4:06 pm

KANSAS CITY, Mo. Mar 25, 2005 — A symbol of Christianity that sits atop church steeples, dangles from necks and hangs on walls is now ending up in the mouths of the faithful, over the objections of some religious officials.

A mass-produced chocolate cross is being sold this Easter by Russell Stover Candies Inc. in about 5,000 stores nationwide, which experts say is apparently a first for a major American company.

"Obviously they've seen that there's a market for chocolate crosses at Easter," said Lisbeth Echeandia, a consultant for Candy Information Service, which monitors candy industry trends. "I don't see it growing tremendously but I think there would be growth in the Christian market."

However, not all Christians are happy about it. Chomping on a chocolate cross can be offensive to some, said Joseph McAleer, a spokesman for the Roman Catholic diocese in Bridgeport, Conn.

"The cross should be venerated, not eaten, nor tossed casually in an Easter basket beside the jelly beans and marshmallow Peeps," he said. "It's insulting."

Nonetheless, Kansas City-based Russell Stover, the third-largest American chocolate manufacturer, said it is targeting some of the most devout Christians Hispanic Americans.

Pangburn, which Russell Stover bought in 1999, has long had a hold in that market. The milk chocolate cross is about 6 inches high, adorned with a floral bouquet and filled with caramel made of goat's milk, popular in Mexico and Latin America. Its packaging features Spanish more prominently than English.

Russell Stover President Tom Ward doesn't expect the chocolate cross to overtake the chocolate bunny, but he does expect it to bring in new customers who "wouldn't buy rabbits."

"I think it's a market that's potentially overlooked," said chocolate expert Clay Gordon, who runs the chocolate Web site Chocophile.com.

Ward said Russell Stover considered making other traditional images out of chocolate but eventually opted not to.

"A molded Jesus, for example, would not be a good call and a cross with Jesus on it wouldn't be a good idea either," Ward said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=613183

Subject: Re: Look out Easter Bunny... Here Comes The Chocolate Cross!!!!

Written By: MooRocca on 03/25/05 at 4:19 pm

"A molded Jesus, for example, would not be a good call and a cross with Jesus on it wouldn't be a good idea either," Ward said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=613183

Russel Stover may not think a chocolate Jesus is a good idea for Easter, but I'll be these people would LOVE it for Hallowe'en:  http://objective.jesussave.us/halloween.html

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/25/05 at 4:28 pm

I actually had one of those last year-it was a freebe. It was ok but Hershey's chocolate is sooooo much better.

Cat

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/25/05 at 6:53 pm

i wouldn't want to eat a chocolate star of david or a chocolate buddha, it's disrespectful.

Written By: jiminy on 03/25/05 at 8:37 pm

i wouldn't want to eat a chocolate star of david or a chocolate buddha, it's disrespectful.
I like gummy worms   :D

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/26/05 at 10:29 am

i pointed this out to my best friend last night. him, being a pagan, said it's hypocritical to consume images that are sacred to his beliefs (rabbits, eggs) and yet for me not right to consume the image of my own religion....he had a point. so if i ever come across a chocolate cross, i'm chowing down on the rich christiany chocolate yumminess.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/26/05 at 11:19 am

i pointed this out to my best friend last night. him, being a pagan, said it's hypocritical to consume images that are sacred to his beliefs (rabbits, eggs) and yet for me not right to consume the image of my own religion....he had a point. so if i ever come across a chocolate cross, i'm chowing down on the rich christiany chocolate yumminess.

::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/26/05 at 11:20 am

Russel Stover may not think a chocolate Jesus is a good idea for Easter, but I'll be these people would LOVE it for Hallowe'en:  http://objective.jesussave.us/halloween.html

Thanks for posting the website!  ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 03/26/05 at 12:58 pm

Hope it comes in bittersweet  ;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/26/05 at 1:28 pm

Hope it comes in bittersweet  ;)

::)

Check for new replies or respond here...