» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: It's about time!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/29/05 at 8:33 am

An Iowa congressman has introduced a bill that would make English the official language of the United States.
Republican Steve King is calling it the "English Language Unity Act of 2005."

The legislation would require the U.S. government to conduct business in English, but would not put restrictions on languages spoken in the private sector.

King says too many immigrants are being told that they do not have to learn English to live in the United States. "And the message that they get -- mostly from the most extreme liberals -- says 'you don't need to learn this language, we can accommodate your culture; just come here and create your own enclave -- that's America, this beautiful, multi-cultural mosaic rather than a melting pot.' And to many of these people the term 'assimilation' has become offensive."

The Iowa lawmaker believes his "Unity Act" would go a long way toward negating the effects of Bill Clinton's Executive Order 13166, which mandates that billions of dollars be spent on translations.

King says last year a Zogby poll showed that 82 percent of Americans favor making English the official language of the United States.

--You can read H.R. 997 by going to the following link: http://www.theorator.com/bills109/hr997.html

Between the Zogby poll, the 73 co-sponsers of this bill, and the republican controlled US House and US Senate, I can say I'm feeling good about this bill passing.

The states have been passing stuff like this for years.  Arizona is about to do it.  Florida passed a bill and the people voted favorablely on it a few years ago that made English the official language of that state.  In fact, 27 US states have already made English the official language of their respective states.  It's time to make English the official language of this country!

Subject: Re: It's about time!

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/29/05 at 9:38 am

It's been tried about a dozen times since the 1890s, and it never passes.  This is what politicians do when they're trying to grandstand for their racist followers.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/29/05 at 9:39 am

Is this really necessary? 

Yes! This can force all spanish-speakers to make all restaurant signs in English, prevent any street signs from being in both English and Spanish in the future, get rid of that costly English-as-a-second-language in government schools, force people to have to vote in English (with no translator,) and no more "press 1 for English..."  It will save money!

In private there is nothing the government can do, but it can make their lives a living hell unless they learn English.

The link works fine for me.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/29/05 at 9:41 am

It's been tried about a dozen times since the 1890s, and it never passes.  This is what politicians do when they're trying to grandstand for their racist followers.

Think about it this way, back in 1996 a bill was filed to make English the official language of the United States of America by Bill Emerson, the bill was H.R. 123.  The bill passed the US House by a vote of 259-169.  The bill later stalled in a US Senate committee.  That was when the republicans didn't have a majority in the US Senate, and their majority in the US House was smaller.  So why wouldn't it pass this year?

And 82% of Americans are racist?

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/29/05 at 9:43 am

Never has it been attempted in modern times, with the republicans holding the vast majorites of both houses of congress.

And 82% of Americans are racist?

doesn't matter.  This is just something to distract the Republican followers from Tom Delay's ethical breaches.  They need something to distract the faithfull while they sweep his sins under the carpet.

Written By: Harmonica on 03/29/05 at 11:07 am

An Iowa congressman has introduced a bill that would make English the official language of the United States.

The legislation would require the U.S. government to conduct business in English, but would not put restrictions on languages spoken in the private sector.

King says too many immigrants are being told that they do not have to learn English to live in the United States. "And the message that they get -- mostly from the most extreme liberals -- says 'you don't need to learn this language, we can accommodate your culture; just come here and create your own enclave -- that's America, this beautiful, multi-cultural mosaic rather than a melting pot.' And to many of these people the term 'assimilation' has become offensive."

The Iowa lawmaker believes his "Unity Act" would go a long way toward negating the effects of Bill Clinton's Executive Order 13166, which mandates that billions of dollars be spent on translations.

King says last year a Zogby poll showed that 82 percent of Americans favor making English the official language of the United States.

--You can read H.R. 997 by going to the following link: http://www.theorator.com/bills109/hr997.html

Between the Zogby poll, the 73 co-sponsers of this bill, and the republican controlled US House and US Senate, I can say I'm feeling good about this bill passing.

The states have been passing stuff like this for years.  Arizona is about to do it.  Florida passed a bill and the people voted favorablely on it a few years ago that made English the official language of that state.  In fact, 27 US states have already made English the official language of their respective states.  It's time to make English the official language of this country!

One of my best friends in high school was from Nicagagura.  She wrote a paper in Government class last year that said that she believed that anyone living in the united states should have to learn to speak English because in the long run it makes it easier on them.  Her mom doesn't know how to speak English and as a result has an extemely hard time trying to find work.  You live in this country, you should learn to speak English.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/29/05 at 12:28 pm

i thought english was the official language of the states....here in canada, new immigrants are encouraged to speak either english or french as quickly as possible. i never met a new arrivale who didn't know a smattering of english, at least to get by for now.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/29/05 at 12:58 pm

Yeah, I agree it is about time. English should be declared the official language of the U.S. because it is. I think people should have to learn some English before they at least get permanent resident status, because it is the language of the overwealming majority of the US. I don't get the big deal, every other country in the world has the same policy. It's not about racism, it's about if you really want to be an american you should be willing to put in the small effort to learn our language. I would do the same if I moved to a Spanish country, or any foreign country.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/29/05 at 1:12 pm

i thought english was the official language of the states..

Sadly it's not....yet.

Imagine if I did what the average illegal alien from Mexico did.  Run over the border into Mexico illegally, demand they give me food stamps, health care, and a driver's license, demand the taxpayers of Mexico pay for my child's education, refuse to adopt the culture, refuse to speak Spanish, tell the government they must adopt everything to suit me.  If I did that, Mexico would laugh me off out of their country.  Yet illegal immigrants from Mexico do it everyday, whining about not enough free handouts, whining about Arizona's new law that bans people illegally in this country from getting social services like medicaid or social security, whining about street signs being in English only.  Screw you Mexico.

Written By: philbo on 03/29/05 at 4:27 pm

It's about time!

And here was me thinking that this thread was going to be discussing Stephen Hawking's latest book... or his first one, anyway ;)

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/29/05 at 4:54 pm

I disagree with the decision. America has no official language. PERIOD. The language of an American is whatever he or she feels like speaking.

Why does English have the right to get this type of status? What about NATIVE American languages? English is an imported European language. Yes, most other countries in the world have an official language. Big deal. It is ludicrous to make English the official language when it is not native to this land. Making English the official language would be like labeling all others as "foreign" which is like the pot calling the kettle black.

The Spanish language has as much right to be spoken in this country as English does. Think about how many places in this country have Spanish names. Consider the fact that the Spaniards arrived on these shores before the English. Spanish has been used in my home state of Texas long before English, and it is the same way for California, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, and parts of Colorado, Utah and Wyoming.

¡Hablaré español por siempre!

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/29/05 at 5:17 pm

Well, I guess that would mean that we would have to give Puerto Rico its independance (evan though a majority of P.R.s don't want it)  since their official language is SPANISH.  Y, por su puesto, los Puertoricenos esta citasinduenos de esta pais por acto del congresso (look it up).  In fact, if this act passes, the indepentisats would gain massive support, PR would vote for independance, and probably ally themselves with Cuba.

Other than distracting from Tom DeLay's ethical problems (and probably crimes), this is just silly.  But naturally, our neocon friends are willing to be distracted from unpleasant truths, especially if its by some jingoist bullsh17

Written By: McDonald on 03/29/05 at 5:24 pm

I disagree with the decision. America has no official language. PERIOD. The language of an American is whatever he or she feels like speaking.

Why does English have the right to get this type of status? What about NATIVE American languages? English is an imported European language. Yes, most other countries in the world have an official language. Big deal. It is ludicrous to make English the official language when it is not native to this land. Making English the official language would be like labeling all others as "foreign" which is like the pot calling the kettle black.

The Spanish language has as much right to be spoken in this country as English does. Think about how many places in this country have Spanish names. Consider the fact that the Spaniards arrived on these shores before the English. Spanish has been used in my home state of Texas long before English, and it is the same way for California, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, and parts of Colorado, Utah and Wyoming.

I agree. While I believe that people who come here should learn enough English to get by, I don't think making English the official language is going to help. Everyone knows that Americans speak English and no one cares whether or not there is a law on the books about it. "85% of American agree..." Whatever, I bet those were the same 85% who didn't know that English wasn't already the official language.

And as far as Florida is concerned... English might be the official language, but there is still bilingailism everywhere... even within the government. I don't care if there are pockets of Spanish-speaking communities, or Russian, or German, or Italian, or Chinese, or Arabic. That's everyone's own decision. As for the government and the community, they have a responsibility to accomodate the 16 million people in this country who use Spanish as well as those who speak English.

There are several pockets of non-english communities. There are French-speaking Cajuns, there are Hawaiian-speaking Polyniesian-Americans, etc... To make English the official language is an insult to those citizens. I think it's time for all the bitchy, fearful WASP's to drink a nice cup of shut-the-f*ck-up. You're still the majority... be content with that.

And does anyone actually agree with eliminating ESL? How are immigrant children going to learn English if there is no one to teach them? And why shouldn't a CITIZEN of the United States of America not be allowed a translator for voting purposes if they have trouble reading the English intructions on the ballot (which many times confuse even native Anglophones)? Pure racism.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/29/05 at 11:29 pm

i thought english was the official language of the states....here in canada, new immigrants are encouraged to speak either english or french as quickly as possible. i never met a new arrivale who didn't know a smattering of english, at least to get by for now.

English has never been official, but rather the most commonly spoken language in the U.S. 
I don't want to sound like I am sucking up to our moderator by agreeing with him so often, but Chucky is right again.  These official language bills are political grandstanding efforts to rattle the redneck cage. 
The entire southwestern portion of our country was Mexico until the middle of the 19th century when President Polk went in there and took it away from them.  Before that, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California were Spanish-speaking for longer than they've been part of the United States.  Furthermore, centuries of exploitation of lands south of the Rio Grande destroyed the indigenous cultures and created a severe imbalance of wealth. 
Of course there are hundreds of millions of desperately poor Latin Americans who want to come to America to feed their families and improve their lives.  Immigrants are easily exploaited by the agricultural and low-wage service industries.  The bosses don't give a rat's @ss if the immigrants learn English.  You don't need to know English to work as a strawberry picker or a chamber maid. 
If these big-winded White Nationalist Republicans want immigrants to learn English, let them force the employers to PAY for English classes for every immigrant they hire.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/30/05 at 11:51 am

Both you and McDonald seem to get the impression that this will somehow force people to speak English in their private life.  It won't.

Now then, I don't know exactly which states, but as I wrote above 27 states have already made English their official language (maybe even your state.)  This will simply force the other 23 hold-outs to follow.

The best part is no other nation can critize or say "those bigoted Americans."  As you stated, we are one of the few nations with no official language nationwide.  Canada has English and French.  France has French.  Why can't our country have English.  It is obvious that it is the language of commerce, it's the language the undenialable vast majority of the language we here in America speak.  And, frankly, English will become the official language like it or not.  If the Zogby poll quoted in the article is correct, 82% of Americans cannot be denied!

I see this as a win.  Just wish I could say the same for H.R. 1146, which the RINOs and the democrats will kill...again.

Written By: EthanM on 03/30/05 at 1:52 pm

canada has french and english, so why can't we have English and Spanish? The Spanish and Mexicans have had at least as much history within the borders of the USA as the French had within Canada? If there is room for several languages in a country the size of Switzerland than why not in one of the largest countries in the world. Also, Spain has four official languages - Castilian, catalan, galician, and basque. Those are not dialects but separate languages. Basque isn't even related to the other three.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/30/05 at 3:54 pm

canada has french and english, so why can't we have English and Spanish? The Spanish and Mexicans have had at least as much history within the borders of the USA as the French had within Canada? If there is room for several languages in a country the size of Switzerland than why not in one of the largest countries in the world. Also, Spain has four official languages - Castilian, catalan, galician, and basque. Those are not dialects but separate languages. Basque isn't even related to the other three.

That is a great idea. And you are right. Spanish has as much history in the USA as French does in Canada. So if French gets bilingual status with English up North, why not down here?

Man, Spanish as the second national language..thats like my wet dream. ;D

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/30/05 at 3:55 pm

Oh and by the way, the CIA World Factbook already lists the languages of the U.S. as "English, Spanish".See, Spanish already has the backing of the spooks! ;D

Written By: whitewolf on 03/30/05 at 4:01 pm

That is a great idea. And you are right. Spanish has as much history in the USA as French does in Canada. So if French gets bilingual status with English up North, why not down here?

Man, Spanish as the second national language..thats like my wet dream. ;D

not in my city, the city people officially made this place english speaking a couple years ago.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/30/05 at 4:33 pm

There is a lot of history here, not just as to official language.  WASPs or ASPS, since the "white" is redundant, have always wanted to "Americanize" immigrants (whatever that means), so there is an elimant of racism in this (my language, culture, is better than yours), with the exception of we Puerto Ricans, who you made citizens by act of congress (just in time to be drafted for WWI - coincidence?).  This is just so much posturing and pontificating.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/30/05 at 4:59 pm

not in my city, the city people officially made this place english speaking a couple years ago.

Again, 27 states have already made English their official state language.  I'm not sure if any state has tacted on Spanish, though I highly doubt it, not even the democrats pander that much to minorities.

There is no real rational reason for not making English the official language.  Last I checked, everyone here is writting in it.  The weight of English in the country cannot be denied.

Written By: whitewolf on 03/30/05 at 5:32 pm

Again, 27 states have already made English their official state language.  I'm not sure if any state has tacted on Spanish, though I highly doubt it, not even the democrats pander that much to minorities.

There is no real rational reason for not making English the official language.  Last I checked, everyone here is writting in it.  The weight of English in the country cannot be denied.

one problem there , I am not in the States, I'm in Canada

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/30/05 at 5:41 pm

Again, 27 states have already made English their official state language. I'm not sure if any state has tacted on Spanish, though I highly doubt it, not even the democrats pander that much to minorities.

There is no real rational reason for not making English the official language. Last I checked, everyone here is writting in it. The weight of English in the country cannot be denied.

Pander to minorities? That is 10 percent of the country that speaks Spanish, thank you very much. Oh, and there is a state that is officially bilingual English and Spanish, New Mexico.

Spanish has just as much right to be in this country as English. It has a LONGER history here than English. Why is there an elitist attitude against Spanish in this country? Are you afraid of the intellectual effort of acquiring a second language? You don't think you can do it?

Texas. That is a Spanish name. Arizona is a Spanish name. Colorado is a Spanish name. Nevada is a Spanish name. California is a Spanish name. The first settlers in this country spoke SPANISH, not English. Florida was a Spanish colony. There is a historical Spanish-speaking community in Louisiana. Before the heavy arrivals of Anglo settlers(who drove them out), there were also Spanish colonists in the area of what is today the Carolinas and Georgia.

If English deserves official national recognition, so does Spanish.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/30/05 at 5:47 pm

Why? What do you have against French? Why does your town have an aversion to bettering itself? The aversion that many people have toward being cultured boggles the mind.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/30/05 at 5:58 pm

Pander to minorities? That is 10 percent of the country that speaks Spanish, thank you very much. Oh, and there is a state that is officially bilingual English and Spanish, New Mexico.

Spanish has just as much right to be in this country as English. It has a LONGER history here than English. Why is there an elitist attitude against Spanish in this country? Are you afraid of the intellectual effort of acquiring a second language? You don't think you can do it?

Texas. That is a Spanish name. Arizona is a Spanish name. Colorado is a Spanish name. Nevada is a Spanish name. California is a Spanish name. The first settlers in this country spoke SPANISH, not English. Florida was a Spanish colony. There is a historical Spanish-speaking community in Louisiana. Before the heavy arrivals of Anglo settlers(who drove them out), there were also Spanish colonists in the area of what is today the Carolinas and Georgia.

If English deserves official national recognition, so does Spanish.

Good for New Mexico.  They can do what they want.

Wheather you like it or not, the American public speaks English.  82% of Americans according to that Zogby poll want English as this country's official language.  To say "oh well...Spanish was here longer..." doesn't make much sense.  Should we make every native American language an official language?  Why only Spanish?  What do you have against French?  What, it's not spoken enough?  Neither is Spanish to deserve the honor of becoming an official language of this English-speaking country.

We're not in the 1800's any more Dude.  California, Texas, Nevada, and all those nice southwestern states speak English.  They are under the jurisdiction of the United States of America.  And most of their citizens like it that way.

English will become our official language, and Spanish will not, at least any time soon.  We can't go making every minority language spoken by probably less than one out of ten legal Americans an official language.  Otherwise Spanish would be one of Canada's official languages as well.

Written By: McDonald on 03/30/05 at 6:02 pm

There is no reason to have any official language at all. We have become the most powerful country to ever grace the planet, and all this time WITHOUT an official language. I don't want English or Spanish to be the official languages, and I don't want any other language either. Leave it to popular sovereignty. You say Florida has adopted English as the official language... well I'm telling you that NOTHING has changed... Nothing will change in America even if this bill does succeed except for congress whispering a soft "f*ck you" to every non-Anglophone in the country.

And as for French in Canada, Dude... The Western Provinces in Canada are almost as bad as the South in America (well, not quite) when it comes to Religion in government and the French language. They're typically sour with the bilingualism and multiculturalism that Ottawa has envisioned for the country, and are typically resentful of the "special attention" that Ottawa has given to Québec in order to dissuade them from leaving the confederation. Thus, the French language gets spit on by a lot of westerners... They don't want to learn it, and they don't have to (unless they plan on getting a government job, or a service industry job). Same in the US. Unless you want to work in the service industry or marketing field... you can do very well without Spanish. There is no need to make English the official language.

Written By: whitewolf on 03/30/05 at 6:12 pm

Why? What do you have against French? Why does your town have an aversion to bettering itself? The aversion that many people have toward being cultured boggles the mind.

My city went English because there is more than just French and English here, there is also the MicMac.
This city was not going to declare only one language, until the French insisted that everyone be made to know french and that the MicMac language not be acknowledged at all since it is so hard to learn.

Some french people that I know could speak english, refused service in english forcing businesses to hire french speaking workers.

That is why my city offically made it an english speaking community.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/30/05 at 6:17 pm

Good for New Mexico. They can do what they want.

Wheather you like it or not, the American public speaks English. 82% of Americans according to that Zogby poll want English as this country's official language. To say "oh well...Spanish was here longer..." doesn't make much sense. Should we make every native American language an official language? Why only Spanish? What do you have against French? What, it's not spoken enough? Neither is Spanish to deserve the honor of becoming an official language of this English-speaking country.

We're not in the 1800's any more Dude. California, Texas, Nevada, and all those nice southwestern states speak English. They are under the jurisdiction of the United States of America. And most of their citizens like it that way.

English will become our official language, and Spanish will not, at least any time soon. We can't go making every minority language spoken by probably less than one out of ten legal Americans an official language. Otherwise Spanish would be one of Canada's official languages as well.

You didn't answer my question. Why are you so afraid of other languages? Do you think that you aren't smart enough to learn another language?

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/30/05 at 6:36 pm

What do those who don't speak English have against bettering themselves? If speaking 2 languages is considered "bettering" oneself, then why the aversion to those who can't speak it learning English? Why learn another language if you're never going to use it? 15 years ago, I was fluent in French & could speak/read conversational Italian. I haven't spoken them in 14 or so years and can still understand much of what I read, but usually not what I hear, unless it's spoken slowly....fuhgeddabout speaking it.

Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say anything about immigrants learning English. I am talking about this country stubbornly wanting to stay monolingual. Most of the world is bilingual. In our globalized world, there are numerous benefits in becoming bilingual in this country.

WHY are Americans afraid of the outside world?

Written By: whitewolf on 03/30/05 at 7:05 pm

Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say anything about immigrants learning English. I am talking about this country stubbornly wanting to stay monolingual. Most of the world is bilingual. In our globalized world, there are numerous benefits in becoming bilingual in this country.

I don't think it's about being afraid, it's more about the fact that some of the immigrants refuse to learn english and insist that others learn theirs.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/30/05 at 7:08 pm

I don't think it's about being afraid, it's more about the fact that some of the immigrants refuse to learn english and insist that others learn theirs.

Thats not what I'm talking about though.

Written By: jiminy on 03/30/05 at 8:57 pm

The Dude started this thread "Why a lack of British identity in America?" no explanation needed  ::)

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/30/05 at 8:58 pm

The Dude started this thread "Why a lack of British identity in America?" no explanation needed  ::)

What do you mean?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/30/05 at 9:06 pm

Americans by way of our government's foreign policy have never been afraid of imperial exploitation of the outside world!  We just don't want people with funny skin colors speaking funny languages coming from said imperially exploited outside world to America, the richest imperial country in the world for sixty years.
I say "we" very generally.  Even among those tolerant of immigration there is a great uneasiness.  The native lower and middle classes in America feel they must constantly battle for resources with one another.  When foreigners come here, that means MORE competition.  The capitalists of the empire exploit the native-born American population to the highest degree they possibly can.  They can exploit immigrants to a higher degree than natives, and they do!
As far as language and culture go, I think the bad grammar and functional illiteracy of a large percentage of native English-speaking Americans is a bigger worry than the influx of Spanish-speaking migrants.  What has destroyed the regional cultures of America is not immigrants.  As a matter of fact, all American regional cultures came from immigrants, be they Poles, Scots-Irish, Mexicans, Italians, Jews, or whomever.  The force that has destroyed, or at least diminished these cultures is commercial exploitation.  Whether you go to the mall in San Diego, Louisville, or Boston, you are going to find virtually the same stores and the same products.  Only a few old, old fogeys will complain that a Scots-Irish boy in Arkansas loves 50-Cent and doesn't know jack about the Mountain music that Grandma and Grandpa used to play.  
The right-wingers who listen to Michael Savage and bellyache about loss of our "American" culture go out and buy Garth Brooks records, and think nothing of the fact that his "country" music is a watered-down generic pop-form of a once vigorous music with dozens of regional variations.
One of our local fascist pig talk show hosts, Jay Severin, decries the "Afro-Chicano" influence on pop-culture.  I welcome it.  I would rather listen to any old Mariachi band than frikkin' Toby Keith!

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/30/05 at 9:19 pm

I agree 100% Max. I am from the American South, and this region used to have a LOT of sub-regional variation(cajun culture, appalachian culture etc.) but most of that has been wiped away and replaced with a stale, generic Southern identity built largely around Western culture rather than actual Southern culture. All of this cowboy crap is nonsense. My uncle said 20 years ago, when you went into a country bar, you saw people wearing slacks, no cowboy hats, real shoes etc. But now when you go in these bars, even in Eastern southern states like Georgia it looks like the OK Corral.

And another problem with the "New South"(yeah, whatever) is that this new identity is also largley based on socioreligious dogma. For example, in the modern context, because I'm liberal, I'm viewed as not being a true southerner. Despite the fact that I was born and raised in the south, my whole family on both sides has always lived here, and heck, my dad is from the "Heart of Dixie"(Alabama). The extreme Right politics of the South have seeped into our cultural identity for the most part. Which is a shame.

And I find it odd that the posterboy for the "New South" is George W. Bush. He is a CARPET BAGGER. Westchester, not West Texas! And besides, West Texas isn't even like the real South anyway. They are more Western. One of the reasons I hate Bush so much is because he represents my people in a very bad way, and because I don't agree with his ideology I am not a "real Texan" or "real Southerner", and *I* was born here. He wasn't.

It seems to me the Bushes, aka the WASP Corleones, are just exploiting the poor Southern masses for their own benefit.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/31/05 at 3:16 am

You didn't answer my question. Why are you so afraid of other languages? Do you think that you aren't smart enough to learn another language?

I do know another language, German.  I took two years of it high school, though I really don't remember much, it's been too long.

And another problem with the "New South"(yeah, whatever)

I'll agree with you there.  The "new south" bigots make me happy I'm moving soon.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/31/05 at 10:06 pm

I do know another language, German.  I took two years of it high school, though I really don't remember much, it's been too long.

I'll agree with you there.  The "new south" bigots make me happy I'm moving soon.

It's not about being afraid of other languages, it's about declaring the English language the official language of this country as it should be. English is the language America was founded upon and I think it's about time the government makes that declaration. I encourage people to learn other languages and about other cultures, but I also believe that when people come to America to stay they should be willing to learn English, I would do the same if I moved to a foreign country. I don't think people should just be given a free pass into this country and not have to learn a word of English to be a citizen. You should at least have a basic understanding of English before you can become a US citizen.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/31/05 at 10:12 pm

It's not about being afraid of other languages, it's about declaring the English language the official language of this country as it should be. English is the language America was founded upon and I think it's about time the government makes that declaration. I encourage people to learn other languages and about other cultures, but I also believe that when people come to America to stay they should be willing to learn English, I would do the same if I moved to a foreign country. I don't think people should just be given a free pass into this country and not have to learn a word of English to be a citizen. You should at least have a basic understanding of English before you can become a US citizen.

Thats simply misleading.

Other languages have long histories in this country as well. Spanish, French, German etc.

Of course, Spanish much more so than the last two.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/31/05 at 10:21 pm

Thats simply misleading.

Other languages have long histories in this country as well. Spanish, French, German etc.

Of course, Spanish much more so than the last two.

Yes, but this country was still founded by English speaking people and it is the majority language. And certain states that have other languages that are spoken by a large minority should have co-official languages. I think that English should be declared the official language of the federal government, because really it is. The US government already conducts all business in English, so I don't see the big deal here.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/31/05 at 10:42 pm

Yes, but this country was still founded by English speaking people and it is the majority language. And certain states that have other languages that are spoken by a large minority should have co-official languages. I think that English should be declared the official language of the federal government, because really it is. The US government already conducts all business in English, so I don't see the big deal here.

Its a big deal because this is going to have an oppressive effect on minority languages whether you think so or not. That is probably the intention, because the people behind this bill are ethnocentric grandstanders.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/31/05 at 11:08 pm

Its a big deal because this is going to have an oppressive effect on minority languages whether you think so or not. That is probably the intention, because the people behind this bill are ethnocentric grandstanders.

Well I'll have to read over the proposed bill, because I'm not exactly sure of all the details of it. Regardless I believe that English should eventually be declared the offical language of the US government, though in a way that doesn't interfere with the rights of minority languages to be spoken and used in whatever way. I believe an understanding of English should be required to become a citizen, this country was originally founded on the English and it is the main language, obviously. Do I trust the conservative republicans, not really because I know they have an outside agenda, so I don't know if I support this current bill being proposed, because I have not read it. I just noticed that GWB2004 posted a copy of the text of the bill, I'm reading it now.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/31/05 at 11:13 pm

Ok well I just read the bill and I don't really see a problem with it. Basically it says that the government will conduct it's business in English (which it already does anyway) and to become a citizen you need to have a basic understanding of English. I don't see the big deal.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/31/05 at 11:18 pm

Ok well I just read the bill and I don't really see a problem with it. Basically it says that the government will conduct it's business in English (which it already does anyway) and to become a citizen you need to have a basic understanding of English. I don't see the big deal.

If its just for the Federal gov't, to say it must conduct business in English, and it says you need a basic understanding to become a citizen, that would be ok. But anything beyond that wouldn't be right. Why should the other 23 states be forced to have English as their 'official' language? So much for state's rights, huh Repubs?

And if it IS only for the Feds and the citizenship test, then its basically useless. Because, currently, they already conduct business in English, and do you really think that someone can become a CITIZEN without being able to communicate in English? I'm not saying permanate resident, I am saying citizen. And it would be hypocritical for us to require that of new arrivals. Many of our ancestors came to these shores not knowing a word of English, they had to learn it once they got here.

So if its just for what you say, there can be no purpose behind it other than sending a big "**** you" to Spanish speakers in this country from ethnocentrists like GWB and his ilk who don't want a multicultural America, but a 'melting pot' in which immigrants are forced to 'Angloize' like in the 'good ol days'. ::)

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/31/05 at 11:24 pm

If its just for the Federal gov't, to say it must conduct business in English, and it says you need a basic understanding to become a citizen, that would be ok. But anything beyond that wouldn't be right. Why should the other 23 states be forced to have English as their 'official' language? So much for state's rights, huh Repubs?

And if it IS only for the Feds and the citizenship test, then its basically useless. Because, currently, they already conduct business in English, and do you really think that someone can become a CITIZEN without being able to communicate in English? I'm not saying permanate resident, I am saying citizen. And it would be hypocritical for us to require that of new arrivals. Many of our ancestors came to these shores not knowing a word of English, they had to learn it once they got here.

So if its just for what you say, there can be no purpose behind it other than sending a big "**** you" to Spanish speakers in this country from ethnocentrists like GWB and his ilk who don't want a multicultural America, but a 'melting pot' in which immigrants are forced to 'Angloize' like in the 'good ol days'. ::)

Doesn't this part mean the states aren't forced to adopt English as their official language.

"(3) Among the powers reserved to the States respectively is the power to establish the English language as the official language of the respective States, and otherwise to promote the English language within the respective States, subject to the prohibitions enumerated in the Constitution of the United States and in laws of the respective States."

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/31/05 at 11:25 pm

I don't know, you are the one who read it. Apparently so. But I didn't claim that it forced them to..so what the heck is your point?

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/31/05 at 11:27 pm

I don't know, you are the one who read it. Apparently so. But I didn't claim that it forced them to..so what the heck is your point?

I thought you implied that by this statement: "If its just for the Federal gov't, to say it must conduct business in English, and it says you need a basic understanding to become a citizen, that would be ok. But anything beyond that wouldn't be right. Why should the other 23 states be forced to have English as their 'official' language? So much for state's rights, huh Repubs?", but apparently not.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/31/05 at 11:48 pm

I thought you implied that by this statement: "If its just for the Federal gov't, to say it must conduct business in English, and it says you need a basic understanding to become a citizen, that would be ok. But anything beyond that wouldn't be right. Why should the other 23 states be forced to have English as their 'official' language? So much for state's rights, huh Repubs?", but apparently not.

You need to improve your reading comprehension my friend.

I stated a hypothetical possibility that the bill(because i did not yet know the exact details) might force all states to adopt english as their official language. I then asked a question based upon that HYPOTHETICAL POSSIBILITY about states' rights.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/31/05 at 11:57 pm

You need to improve your reading comprehension my friend.

I stated a hypothetical possibility that the bill(because i did not yet know the exact details) might force all states to adopt english as their official language. I then asked a question based upon that HYPOTHETICAL POSSIBILITY about states' rights.

Yes I understand, I know I read that too fast, but to answer that question this bill doesn't do that.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/31/05 at 11:58 pm

Well, the bill won't technically hurt anything, but, it really is unnecessary. It doesn't serve any other purpose but giving the middle finger to multi-culturalism.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/01/05 at 1:41 am

Yes, the "founding fathers" were WASPS.  So what?  This country was built by people whose native tongues were English...AND Spanish, French, German, Italian, Chinese, Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Yiddish, West African languages, and so on and so on!  If you want to argue that they all had to learn English, fine by me.  Just remember, while people of a hundred tongues were sweating their azzes off farming the land, building the railroads, mining the coal, driving the cattle, stitching the clothes, manning the assembly lines, tending the children, and contributing to this country in dozens of other ways, they continued to speak their native tongues.  They retained their native cultures as best they could.  The did not say, "Hey, I'm an American now, gimme tuna-on-white and a Miller Lite!"
And furthermore, as I already pointed out, Mexico was not founded by English-speaking people, it was founded by Spanish-speaking people!  They were enjoying a siesta after some tacos and tequila when Polk's soldiers came over the horizon and took half their country away from them.  If we wanted an English-speaking country, we should have stayed in Massachusetts!
One must ask what the indigenous cultures think of this idea of English being the original American language.  How many indigenous languages and dialects did our European ancestors wipe out with war and disease?
But...if you want to be myopic and narrow-minded about it, you can stand over there with Pat Buchanan (whose ancesters spoke Gaelic), Michael Savage (whose ancestors spoke Yiddish) and the rest of the ethnocentric goons.
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...