» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Pat Buchanan attacked by the "tolerant" left

Written By: GWBush2004 on 04/01/05 at 10:52 am

Only two days after throwing pies at the editor of the conservative magazine, the Weekly Standard, William Kristol (http://www.indystar.com/articles/3/233155-3993-102.html) the American left has attacked Patrick Buchanan with salad dressing!

Pat Buchanan doused with salad dressing at university appearance
Link: http://www.freep.com/news/statewire/sw113810_20050401.htm

Watch the video at the following link: http://video.woodtv.com/index.php?video_id=437

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/POLITICS/04/01/buchanan.attacked.ap/vert.buchanan.ap.jpg

First Ann Coulter with a pie, then William Kristol with a pie, now Patrick J. Buchanan with salad dressing.  And the democrats still pretend to be the party of tolerance?

Subject: Re: Pat Buchanan attacked by the "tolerant" left

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/05 at 11:18 am

There's a group of people who through pies at famous people.  They've hit liberals too.

It's not like they're out murdering abortion doctors or judges.

Written By: Ansky1213 on 04/01/05 at 11:49 am

Oh please. Let's all cry for Pat Buchanan, the biggest bigot in politics, because he got a little dirty from salad dressing. Forgive me if I don't shed any tears.

On African Americans:
After Sen. Carol Moseley Braun blocked a federal patent for a Confederate flag insignia, Buchanan wrote that she was "putting on an act" by associating the Confederacy with slavery: "The War Between the States was about independence, about self-determination, about the right of a people to break free of a government to which they could no longer give allegiance," Buchanan asserted. "How long is this endless groveling before every cry of 'racism' going to continue before the whole country collectively throws up?" (syndicated column, 7/28/93)

In a memo to President Nixon, Buchanan suggested that "integration of blacks and whites -- but even more so, poor and well-to-do -- is less likely to result in accommodation than it is in perpetual friction, as the incapable are placed consciously by government side by side with the capable." (Washington Post, 1/5/92)

On Jews:

Buchanan referred to Capitol Hill as "Israeli-occupied territory." (St. Louis Post Dispatch, 10/20/90)

In a 1977 column, Buchanan said that despite Hitler's anti-Semitic and genocidal tendencies, he was "an individual of great courage...Hitler's success was not based on his extraordinary gifts alone. His genius was an intuitive sense of the mushiness, the character flaws, the weakness masquerading as morality that was in the hearts of the statesmen who stood in his path." (The Guardian, 1/14/92)

On Women:

"Rail as they will about 'discrimination,' women are simply not endowed by nature with the same measures of single-minded ambition and the will to succeed in the fiercely competitive world of Western capitalism." (syndicated column, 11/22/83)

"The real liberators of American women were not the feminist noise-makers, they were the automobile, the supermarket, the shopping center, the dishwasher, the washer-dryer, the freezer." (Right from the Beginning, p. 149)

Written By: Mushroom on 04/01/05 at 12:18 pm

On Jews:

Buchanan referred to Capitol Hill as "Israeli-occupied territory." (St. Louis Post Dispatch, 10/20/90)

In a 1977 column, Buchanan said that despite Hitler's anti-Semitic and genocidal tendencies, he was "an individual of great courage...Hitler's success was not based on his extraordinary gifts alone. His genius was an intuitive sense of the mushiness, the character flaws, the weakness masquerading as morality that was in the hearts of the statesmen who stood in his path." (The Guardian, 1/14/92)

Jessie Jackson and "Hymietown".  Robert Byrd.  Need I say more?

FYI:  There are a LOT of Jews who do not like Israel.  Being Jewish by faith does NOT mean you agree with the politics or policies of Israel as a Nation.

Written By: Ansky1213 on 04/01/05 at 12:30 pm

Jessie Jackson and "Hymietown".  Robert Byrd.  Need I say more?

I'm not trying to make this democrat vs. republican. I'm black and I hate Jesse Jackson, and Robert Byrd is a bigot as well. I'm simply trying to point out that Pat Buchanan is a terrible human being.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 04/01/05 at 12:46 pm

I'm not trying to make this democrat vs. republican. I'm black and I hate Jesse Jackson, and Robert Byrd is a bigot as well. I'm simply trying to point out that Pat Buchanan is a terrible human being.

Patrick J. Buchanan is a good man, in my opinion. 

Second, can he not speak without having salad dressing thrown on him?

Written By: Ansky1213 on 04/01/05 at 1:52 pm

I guess that would be your opinion, what with that signature of yours.

Written By: Mushroom on 04/01/05 at 2:43 pm

I for one am disgusted at the devisiveness of current politics.  I most certainly do NOT want to get into "Us Vs. Them".  I just wanted to point out that there are bigots on both sides of any fence.

But when somebody says "He is Republican (Democrat/White/Black/Catholic/etc), therefore he is evil", then I come back with "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

And the last time I checked, Freedom of Speech IS allowed.  I myself can think of many good things that Hitler did.  That does not make him a good man, nor does it excuse the atrocities that he did.  But just like nobody is totally good, so is it true that nobody is totally evil.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/05 at 2:52 pm

And the last time I checked, Freedom of Speech IS allowed.  I myself can think of many good things that Hitler did.  That does not make him a good man, nor does it excuse the atrocities that he did.  But just like nobody is totally good, so is it true that nobody is totally evil.

Dousing someone with salad dressing is a political statement.  I guess the Republicans dislike salad and free speach and that's why their moaning over this.

If Pat wants to avoid dissent of his ideas at his speaking engagements, I'm sure he could run them like Bush handles his Social Security "Town Halls" and enforce strict loyalty oaths before people are allowed in.

Written By: Ansky1213 on 04/01/05 at 3:30 pm

I for one am disgusted at the devisiveness of current politics.  I most certainly do NOT want to get into "Us Vs. Them".  I just wanted to point out that there are bigots on both sides of any fence.

But when somebody says "He is Republican (Democrat/White/Black/Catholic/etc), therefore he is evil", then I come back with "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

Fair enough. But I never said that anybody is evil because he is Conservative. Pat Buchanan is evil because, well, he's evil. Sure, there are some good Republicans. I'm a hardcore liberal democrat, but I intend to vote for Republican NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg in the upcoming election. But you're right, this thread should be about Buchanan rather than partisan politics.

So, without further ado,

I don't like Pat Buchanan and I'm glad that he got doused with salad dressing.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/01/05 at 4:06 pm

As Charlie D pointed out, Pat Buchanan is a racist, anti-semetic, homophobic isolationist.  Unfortunately, there are some who think that trashing him, or Ann Coulter, or Bill Cristol makes a vaslid political statement.  "You don't like the message, kill the messanger".  I adhore all that these dim-wits stand for, but I recognize that they are only load mouthed opportunists spouting what their financial backers want them to say, and I deplore the tactics of those who would silence them.  Let them spread their filthy venom.

What disturbs me is that these stupid tactics are being associated with the Domocratic party (far from the "left") or with the left in general.  But I guess I should expect no less from the die-hard Repubs who want to use "guilt by association" at every opportunity against the Democrats but make no comment re the hypocracy demonstrated by such Repub illuminaries as Tom DeLay (now that is a suggestive name).

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/01/05 at 4:30 pm

I actually agree with this statement.

Written By: Mushroom on 04/01/05 at 6:22 pm

As Charlie D pointed out, Pat Buchanan is a racist, anti-semetic, homophobic isolationist.  Unfortunately, there are some who think that trashing him, or Ann Coulter, or Bill Cristol makes a vaslid political statement.  "You don't like the message, kill the messanger".  I adhore all that these dim-wits stand for, but I recognize that they are only load mouthed opportunists spouting what their financial backers want them to say, and I deplore the tactics of those who would silence them.  Let them spread their filthy venom.

What disturbs me is that these stupid tactics are being associated with the Domocratic party (far from the "left") or with the left in general.  But I guess I should expect no less from the die-hard Repubs who want to use "guilt by association" at every opportunity against the Democrats but make no comment re the hypocracy demonstrated by such Repub illuminaries as Tom DeLay (now that is a suggestive name).

I agree with you 100% when it comes to these tactics.  And I would not care if it was George Bush and Pat Buchanon, or Bill Clinton and Jessie Jackson that were hit.  It is childish, with the intent of stopping somebody from expressing their first ammendment rights.  And it is just as wrong as the many attacks that PETA has taken against people who wear fur or leather.

I do not have problems with orderly protests.  I think it is a good and healthy thing.  But when they try to embarass somebody (pies, smoke bombs, salad) or "heckle" them so their words can't be heard, that is just wrong.  This country is founded on the basis of free and equal speech.  If you do not agree, simply have your own speech.  Do not try and shut somebody up just because you do not agree with them.

I often dissagree with people in here like GW and yourself, but I would never want to silence somebody just because I dissagree with them.The only time I agree with the silencing of somebody is if they encourage violence.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/02/05 at 3:57 am

Second, can he not speak without having salad dressing thrown on him?

How many times has Pat Buchanan spoken in public?
How many times has Pat Buchanan spoken in public and gotten splattered with salad dressing?
There's your answer.

See here, if you make yourself despicable, you shouldn't be surprised you are despised.  PB has said some of the most rancorous racist statements I've ever heard a major public figure make.  I would like to throw a certain substance on him, and it ain't salad dressing, believe me!
:P

In reality, I wouldn't assault PB or any other public figure because what goes around comes around.  Some creep in a pickup truck threw a full can of of Coke at Jeannine Garofalo out near Central Park a while ago.  I don't want violence-prone right-wing goons to call open season on my favorite liberals because Pat Buchanan got a face full of 1000 Islands Ranch!

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/02/05 at 10:15 am

These liberals have had a history of temper tantrums when they don't get their way. I'm not surprised at the immaturity of these protestors. :(

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/02/05 at 1:23 pm

I agree with you 100% when it comes to these tactics.  And I would not care if it was George Bush and Pat Buchanon, or Bill Clinton and Jessie Jackson that were hit.  It is childish, with the intent of stopping somebody from expressing their first ammendment rights.  And it is just as wrong as the many attacks that PETA has taken against people who wear fur or leather.

I do not have problems with orderly protests.  I think it is a good and healthy thing.  But when they try to embarass somebody (pies, smoke bombs, salad) or "heckle" them so their words can't be heard, that is just wrong.  This country is founded on the basis of free and equal speech.  If you do not agree, simply have your own speech.  Do not try and shut somebody up just because you do not agree with them.

I often dissagree with people in here like GW and yourself, but I would never want to silence somebody just because I dissagree with them.The only time I agree with the silencing of somebody is if they encourage violence.

THat is very true, and you know that when you decided to censor yourself I encouraged you to continue expressing your ideas.  I'm pleased we agree on this one, and on the fascist profressor as well.  I would expand your last sentance to include all criminal acts.

Written By: Mushroom on 04/02/05 at 2:17 pm

THat is very true, and you know that when you decided to censor yourself I encouraged you to continue expressing your ideas.  I'm pleased we agree on this one, and on the fascist profressor as well.  I would expand your last sentance to include all criminal acts.

Actually, I chose to censor myself in here because 2 posts were deleted.

That to me is a very extreme form of censorship, and I made the conscious choice to leave this message board.  I find it very disturbing when I make a post, and just because somebody does not like what I have to say, it is removed.  I made the choice after that to remove myself.

I only came back this week after Terri died.  I had something I wanted to say, and wanted to do it "after the fact", not when the emotions were running highest.  But if I am censored again for no reasonable cause, I will once again remove myself, probably for good. 

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/02/05 at 6:09 pm

But if I am censored again for no reasonable cause, I will once again remove myself, probably for good. 

I, for one, ould find that to be a major loss to all of us.  You know that we often disagree about issues, but I have tried (and hope I have succeeded) to respect your views, which I always have found to be eminantly rational and well supported, and, if memory serves, I have defenbded  you against what I thought to be uncalled for gratutious attacks.  I value your thoughts and concider your views because you are rational, factual, and willing to look at perspectives other that your own.  In short, you are an informed and intelligent correspondant.  I hope you will stay around, and I mean that VERY scincerely.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/03/05 at 4:47 pm

Oh puhleeze.....it's funny no matter WHOM it's done to ;D

Funny? Maybe, but I have to disagree with you on this one.  Let the  SOB's spout their venom.  Let the Repubs cherry-pick their audiences.  Lets not sink to their level of discourse.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/03/05 at 5:43 pm

IMO, it's no different than the slapstick comedy of days past.  The Republicans are just mad that they didn't start it first ;)

You may be right.

USA politics sucks

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/04/05 at 9:45 pm

These liberals have had a history of temper tantrums when they don't get their way. I'm not surprised at the immaturity of these protestors. :(

True, but it's the same with conservatives...and when conservatives DO get their way (which has been nearl all the time since 2000), the just go and find something else to throw a conniption fit over.  It's what Thomas Frank, who wrote What's the Matter With Kansas, calls the "plen-T-plaint."

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/05/05 at 2:12 pm

Actually, I chose to censor myself in here because 2 posts were deleted.

That to me is a very extreme form of censorship, and I made the conscious choice to leave this message board.  I find it very disturbing when I make a post, and just because somebody does not like what I have to say, it is removed.  I made the choice after that to remove myself.

I only came back this week after Terri died.  I had something I wanted to say, and wanted to do it "after the fact", not when the emotions were running highest.  But if I am censored again for no reasonable cause, I will once again remove myself, probably for good. 

If you had posts deleted, it was for violating the system guidelines.  If you want to call that censorship, feel free, but you won't find any sympathy from me.  I don't know which posts you are referring to, or which moderator removed them, but we don't remove posts because we disagree with them.  If that were the case, there's a couple of board members who'd probably never have a post remain on the site.

Check for new replies or respond here...