» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: If you had a choice where would you rather lilve right now ?

Written By: UKVisitor on 04/01/05 at 2:38 pm

Okay, sorry, having a bit of a polling frenzy  :D

Just always curious whether people would rather live in the country they're in right now or somewhere else. For me, as much as I have a fond affection for good old Blighty (the UK to excuse the vernacular) I would love to be living in the Dolomite mountains of Italy in the Torino region near Cortina D'Ampezzo where the red rock of the mountains cuts through the tree lines and the snow in the winter; the ski'ing is amazing and in the summer you can relax by the beautiful lakes and all the beautiful italian ladies, oh baby, the beautiful ladies. And the great food, culture, wine.... sheesh, I'm off now, where's my passport  ;D ;D ;D

However, if I was to say why I like whre I am its because it is here that my family, my friends and my memories reside. You never appreciate your home town until you leave it and then return I guess. We've got an amazing Roman/Norman castle right in the centre of the city of Cardiff and I hadn't even visited it properly until I was in my twenties. You can easily take things for granted i guess adn the greass is always greener.

If i had the choice I'd like to have a home here and in Italy and just flit between the two. Now that would be heaven  8)

Subject: Re: If you had a choice where would you rather lilve right now ?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/01/05 at 2:40 pm

i'm happy living in my native canada.

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/01/05 at 4:18 pm

The US, but not in Indiana (sorry). Maybe Montana or another place without much television.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/01/05 at 4:22 pm

Although I am totally discouraged by the direction my country is taking, and I find many things verrrry attractive about other nation, I am a citizen of the USA.  Therefore, it is my responsibility to make things here better.  Running is just too easy, I have to say and fight.  Leaving would be abandoning this country to the likes of our neocon fdriends on this board.  I am not willing to do that.  I do wish that more of us would give up this stupid "nationalism" and recognize that as working people, our interests are the same regardless of nationality or ethnicity.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/01/05 at 4:22 pm

Well I would like to live in various places of the US, and hope to one day :)

Written By: Howard on 04/01/05 at 4:25 pm

The US Of A :)

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/01/05 at 4:28 pm

The USA. I am quite attached to this place, even if it went down the toilet(economy collapsed or whatever), I still wouldn't leave. Well, maybe if there was imminent danger to my life.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/02/05 at 8:21 am

A friend of mine left the USA to marry in Australia about 30 years ago.  She came back this past week to see her father who was dying(he died the day after she arrived).  She is now making arrangement to bring her mother back to Australia with her.  Although her mother has family here she feels the climate(weather as well as social) will be better for her.  Her mother didn't think twice and at the age of 80 is packing up to go.  I told her to reserve a room for me, when I retire, if I ever get the chance given that this administration is bent on making me working until the age of 85, I think I may join her.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/02/05 at 9:32 am

USA.  We have our problems, but IMO it is still the best place for me to live.

Written By: Bobby on 04/03/05 at 12:23 pm

I put USA but I love the idea of Canada too.  :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/03/05 at 12:27 pm

Well.. as many know i'd like to live in the states.. and by gosh I will be in about 10 weeks  ;D

My eventual goal is to go to Canada for some time as well.

Written By: whitewolf on 04/03/05 at 12:29 pm

I'm sticking with Canada.

I AM CANADIAN

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/03/05 at 4:38 pm

I'd stay in my native country, the USA.

Tanya

Written By: jaytee on 04/03/05 at 5:22 pm

Australia

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/03/05 at 5:27 pm

I'd want them to pay me to move to Australia.. wait.. THEY WILL!

Oooohh Cheap Knock  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/03/05 at 6:24 pm

Although I am totally discouraged by the direction my country is taking, and I find many things verrrry attractive about other nation, I am a citizen of the USA.  Therefore, it is my responsibility to make things here better.  Running is just too easy, I have to say and fight.  Leaving would be abandoning this country to the likes of our neocon fdriends on this board.  I am not willing to do that.  I do wish that more of us would give up this stupid "nationalism" and recognize that as working people, our interests are the same regardless of nationality or ethnicity.

Yeah, what he said. (But, I do like Canada  ;) -but that could be because I have some Canuck blood in me)

Cat

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/04/05 at 5:33 am

I wanna live in New Zealand... no wait, I already do live in New Zealand  8)

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/04/05 at 8:13 am

I would really like to live anywhere in Australia.  You are lucky to live in New Zealand!!

Written By: UKVisitor on 04/04/05 at 8:37 am

Its been cool to see everyone's responses especially in so far as people retain faith in their home country regardless of the problems they might perceive. If all the dissenters jump ship then nothing will change. I like the UK for its lack of large spiders with attitude problems and even though I could probably get citizenship in the US or Australia I think I'm pretty likely to stay in Europe. Lately as I've been able to travel more I've seen the good side of the USA in particular as well as the negative side. As I said in a previous thread, the people of the USA are its strength even when its government is...well, slightly nuts to say the least. Governments and regimes come and go, the people always remain. I wish some of the arrogant leaders around the world could see through their egos and realise this more often.

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/04/05 at 9:14 am

The UK seems a bit old fashioned.  Or is that just how it is portrayed?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/04/05 at 9:42 am

i would love to live in the UK. for one, i'm an anglophile, two, i find woman with british accents sexy and three, i would be close to games workshop stores. i would always have a warhammer opponent.

Written By: karen on 04/04/05 at 9:47 am

In what way?  Not having seen how it is portrayed on US tv I'm curious to know.  It's not still like Pride and Prejudice you know

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/04/05 at 9:56 am

watch coronation street, you would change your attitute then. then all brits are alcoholics who sleep around like rabbits!  ;) ;D

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/04/05 at 10:00 am

lol are they really all alcohols?  That is sad.  I didnt know that a whole population could be alcoholics!!

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/04/05 at 10:04 am

no! i was joking.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/04/05 at 10:10 am

no! i was joking.

Don't mislead her..

It's true.. on those cold rainy nights, after a hard down down in the mine we all hit the bottle  ::) ;D

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/04/05 at 10:11 am

wow ur whole country boozes up?  Is it like one big party or some country law?

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/04/05 at 10:13 am

wow ur whole country boozes up?  Is it like one big party or some country law?

???

Yes it's a law.. if your over the age of 12 you have to knock back at least 12 beers a day, or the alcohol equivilant ::)

Written By: jaytee on 04/04/05 at 10:14 am

Don't mislead her..

It's true.. on those cold rainy nights, after a hard down down in the mine we all hit the bottle  ::) ;D

What's the legal drinking age in the UK?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/04/05 at 10:14 am

rotflmao!

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/04/05 at 10:15 am

What's the legal drinking age in the UK?

18 but as long as you behave most places will turn a blind eye if you at least look over 15

There is a certian amount of tolerance on both sides

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/04/05 at 10:17 am

wow I cant believe it.  I didnt think that a country would do that.  Why dont they do that in America?  That would be cool

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/04/05 at 10:18 am

wow I cant believe it. I didnt think that a country would do that. Why dont they do that in America? That would be cool

Yeah, but it takes it's toll, why do you think you guys were the ones to land on the moon.. we were all too wasted

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/04/05 at 10:21 am

wow I cant believe it.  I didnt think that a country would do that.  Why dont they do that in America?  That would be cool

it's 18 or 19 in canada, depending on the province. only the states has that 21 age minimum, as far as i know.

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/04/05 at 10:22 am

No way!  I cant believe this!  I am going to tell my mom when she gets home this is so cool!!

Written By: UKVisitor on 04/04/05 at 1:14 pm

Yep its 18 years old and although you can get away with drinking in bars when you are younger at my club we are now ID'ing anyone who looks under 25 years old. The police are really cracking down and I reckon its a good way to get younger people in favour of a National ID card scheme as, unless you have a drivers licence or passport, its hard to prove your age.

Still it was amusing for an old fogey like me to get ID'd going into bars in Texas the other week.  8)

My rule of thumb is, if when you ID a woman she is usually overjoyed and a man is usually heavily insulted until they get into their thirties and then both sexes seem flattered :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/04/05 at 1:44 pm

Yep its 18 years old and although you can get away with drinking in bars when you are younger at my club we are now ID'ing anyone who looks under 25 years old. The police are really cracking down and I reckon its a good way to get younger people in favour of a National ID card scheme as, unless you have a drivers licence or passport, its hard to prove your age.

Still it was amusing for an old fogey like me to get ID'd going into bars in Texas the other week.  8)

My rule of thumb is, if when you ID a woman she is usually overjoyed and a man is usually heavily insulted until they get into their thirties and then both sexes seem flattered :)

I knew this guy that it was pretty obvious that he was at least in his 40s. He went to a ball game with a friend in NY State and they carded him. His friend asked, "How old do you have to be to drink in this state?" He said, "It's ok. If they really want to card me, they can."  He was flattered but his friend was annoyed.

Cat

Written By: saver on 04/04/05 at 8:07 pm

8) Somewhere Over Ther Rainbow 8)

or is it,..somewhere WITH Rainbow :o

Written By: UKVisitor on 04/04/05 at 8:11 pm

***cue Richie Blackmore guitar solo***
http://territorio.terra.com.br/canais/rockonline/colunas/fotos/2_1_20.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/04/05 at 8:19 pm

I'm an American.  I have ancestors in Massachusetts stretching back to 1620.  It makes me sad to say, but I may leave the U.S. when I have the resources.  Our government becomes more and more fascist every year.  I fear my government and it breaks my heart to see our Republic disintegrate from the cancer of corporate greed and the military-industrial complex.

If I could live in anywhere I would pick New Zealand.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/04/05 at 8:45 pm

I'm an American. I have ancestors in Massachusetts stretching back to 1620. It makes me sad to say, but I may leave the U.S. when I have the resources. Our government becomes more and more fascist every year. I fear my government and it breaks my heart to see our Republic disintegrate from the cancer of corporate greed and the military-industrial complex.

If I could live in anywhere I would pick New Zealand.

I feel the same way, but I still couldn't move. Unless it got to EXTREMELY bad circumstances, like a total suspension of rights or something.

My ancestors date back here to 1663.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/04/05 at 9:33 pm

I feel the same way, but I still couldn't move. Unless it got to EXTREMELY bad circumstances, like a total suspension of rights or something.

My ancestors date back here to 1663.

Only problem is, if circumstances get bad enough, you might not even be able to get a passport.  Remember Soviet Russia and the countries behind the Iron Curtain?  Life was so crummy there, the governments had to prevent citizens from leaving because anybody who could would leave!

I saw that little a-hole, Peter Beinhert, editor of the New Republica(n) magazine, on C-Span yesterday talking about how bad things will get if there's another 9/11-type attack.  The gist was "If you think civil liberties are under fire now...."  He's wrong for advocating the Democrats continue to be Republicans-lite, he's right in the sense that the government would use another attack to drastically curtail our freedoms.  Who knows?  They might institute an internal passport program like they had in the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany. 

I'm slowly collecting evidence that will prove the U.S. government deliberately planned and carried out the 9/11 attacks for its own nefarious purposes.  I'm not tipping my hand just yet because it is just so hard to prove unimpeachably.  My gut feeling is that the American government is responsible.

Written By: UKVisitor on 04/04/05 at 9:40 pm

Astrocat has his suspicions too  :o
Astrocat hopes that by being cute he won't be first against the wall
Astrocat is probably wrong

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/04/05 at 9:47 pm

Got some good herb? ;)

Written By: UKVisitor on 04/04/05 at 9:55 pm

I and I say, ja man  8) relax ja kno', tak eeet eazee, ja know, chill ja know and then "get up, stand up, don't give up ja rights, get up stand up cos ja know its right"
http://www.swer.net/images/marley.jpg

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/04/05 at 9:57 pm

I and I say, ja man 8) relax ja kno', tak eeet eazee, ja know, chill ja know and then "get up, stand up, don't give up ja rights, get up stand up cos ja know its right"
http://www.swer.net/images/marley.jpg

;D Get er done, Martin!

Written By: McDonald on 04/04/05 at 11:02 pm

Well, I'll be moving to Nova Scotia within a year to finish college. However, after that I would love to live and work in the Gaeltacht in Ireland for a few years to bring my Gaeilge to full fluency. From there, I don't know. There are a few things about the USA that I like, but I have always felt like a fish out of water down here. I'll probably end up in Canada for most of my life until retirement, when I will hopefully be able to choose to live anywhere I want.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/04/05 at 11:06 pm

Well, I'll be moving to Nova Scotia within a year to finish college. However, after that I would love to live and work in the Gaeltacht in Ireland for a few years to bring my Gaeilge to full fluency. From there, I don't know. There are a few things about the USA that I like, but I have always felt like a fish out of water down here. I'll probably end up in Canada for most of my life until retirement, when I will hopefully be able to choose to live anywhere I want.

My goal is to be able to retire by 45(its lofty, but it can be done). I have my sights set on Vegas eventually. Not necessarily when I retire though, maybe earlier if I can pull it off.

Written By: ktelqueen on 04/04/05 at 11:07 pm

Canada's a good time(as in happy at home)  :)

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/04/05 at 11:11 pm

Canada's a good time 8)

Brrr! Not to me! Waaaay too cold. Heck, I think it gets too cold up in Kansas and that area(we drove through there once in early March), much less Canada. ;D

Written By: Pink Kitty on 04/05/05 at 7:44 am

OMG I want to go to Kansas.  Its so normal and nothing spectacular is there.  I think that is so cool!!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/27/06 at 5:19 pm

I really wanna move down south (somewhere like N. Carolina, S. Carolina, or Georgia).

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/27/06 at 5:25 pm

I don't want to leave the country.  I'd either move to NYC or back home to Chicago.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/06 at 5:48 pm

New Zealand sounds pretty good!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/27/06 at 11:08 pm

I would absolutely LOVE to live in Europe, not because I want to run away, but because I think it would be an amazing experience.  My husband has the possibility of working in Spain, and I would jump at the chance, especially since I already speak Spanish.  I've been trying to talk him into it for some time now! 

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/28/06 at 12:34 am

Has it's flaws, but I'd stay in the U.S.A.

Written By: witchain on 09/28/06 at 6:08 am

Oregon!
I lived there for four years and am anxiously awaiting the day that I move back.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/28/06 at 6:19 am

Always been interested in Australia (being a New Zealander, it's almost a given) maybe Brisbane (too hot), Melbourne (too big) or Perth (too...).

I'd pick Canada, but it's just so cold up there.

Written By: McDonald on 09/28/06 at 3:45 pm

Well, as a natural born dual-citizen of both Canada and the USA, I have the legal right to live and work in either country. I now live in Canada and I really do love it. I get homesick from time to time, but that has more to do with the fact that my closest family members live in the US. But I do not ever want to live in those states where I have family (i.e. TX or FL, I just can't stand TX and Florida is full of old-people and hurricanes) so I might as well live here in Canada because whether I live in Quebec or California, family is still just a drive or plane ride away. So I guess my answer is Canada, though I make sure to keep close ties with the USA, because it's where I grew up and it's a big part of who I am even if there are a lot of typically "American" things I don't identify with. I vote absentee, I file a tax return, I follow the news, and I participate in political debates in both countries, and that's what being a dual-national is all about.

http://smallbizblog.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/canadaday_1.gifhttp://www.yankeepostcards.com/cards/id10.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/28/06 at 4:00 pm

Well, as a natural born dual-citizen of both Canada and the USA, I have the legal right to live and work in either country. I now live in Canada and I really do love it. I get homesick from time to time, but that has more to do with the fact that my closest family members live in the US. But I do not ever want to live in those states where I have family (i.e. TX or FL, I just can't stand TX and Florida is full of old-people and hurricanes) so I might as well live here in Canada because whether I live in Quebec or California, family is still just a drive or plane ride away. So I guess my answer is Canada, though I make sure to keep close ties with the USA, because it's where I grew up and it's a big part of who I am even if there are a lot of typically "American" things I don't identify with. I vote absentee, I file a tax return, I follow the news, and I participate in political debates in both countries, and that's what being a dual-national is all about.

http://smallbizblog.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/canadaday_1.gifhttp://www.yankeepostcards.com/cards/id10.gif

Welcome back. Long time no see.

Cat

Written By: gmann on 09/28/06 at 11:23 pm

"Oh, the places you'll go!"  8)

There are many places I'd like to visit; Ireland, Germany, Greenland and the South pole among them. That having been said, I think I can see myself staying somewhere in the Midwest for the long term. I feel comfortable and at home in Ohio, especially in the former industrial wastelands of the northeast quadrant. While I've seen a lot of the US in my time, this is practically the only home I've ever had. Plain truth.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/02/06 at 7:42 pm

"Oh, the places you'll go!"  8)

Pixar and the Estate of Dr. Seuss have reached agreement on licensing terms for a new film.  Apparently, Dr. Seuss' corpse is to be exhumed and thanks to the folks at Pixar, rendered extraordinarily.

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/02/06 at 10:01 pm

If I had to live somewhere besides the U.S. I suppose it would either be Canada(Vancouver only), Costa Rica, Spain or possibly Australia or New Zealand.

Preferably somewhere that isn't deathly cold which is why I said Vancouver only when it comes to Canada. From from what I've read about their cilimate the summers are very mild and the winters aren't too much worse than here.

Written By: Davester on 10/02/06 at 11:32 pm

I do  have the choice if not the necessary means...

Hexham or Corbridge, Northumberland, England...

Written By: whistledog on 10/03/06 at 12:22 am

Canada.  I don't think I could ever live anywhere else.  Honestly, I would miss the CanCon

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/03/06 at 2:08 am

Canada.  I don't think I could ever live anywhere else.  Honestly, I would miss the CanCon

I can't blame you, really...

Despite what conservatives like to say theres really not too much too complain about as far as Canada goes. It just might be the most pleasant country in the world, IMO.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/03/06 at 11:21 am

I've always told people that if I won the Powerball I'd move to Berlin. I made it there a few times when I was stationed in Germany, and I fell in love with the place.

Actually, if things work out right I might be moving back to Nebraska pretty soon.  That's where I'd really rather be.  ;)

Written By: McDonald on 10/03/06 at 4:50 pm

Seriously, who could live without Trailer Park Boys after being exposed to it? No one, that's who.

My friends and I are driving 2 hours down to Qu

Written By: La Roche on 10/03/06 at 5:27 pm

I've always told people that if I won the Powerball I'd move to Berlin. I made it there a few times when I was stationed in Germany, and I fell in love with the place.

I'd love to live there, I've always found the Germans to be some of the best folks I've ever met, the way things are done their suits me.

Well, I've lived in the US, the UK and France.

I love France but would never live there.. so many reason. Bizare work laws, ridiculous property ownerships issues and a whole host of other continental oddities.

I like the UK, but it's so damned expensive.. and when you compare the bang you get for your back to the US the comparison is laughable.

To me the US will always be home.
Yup, we may be a nation of rednecks, bigots, ignorant fools and pinko liberals, but damn it, they're my people!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/03/06 at 8:24 pm

I like the UK, but it's so damned expensive.. and when you compare the bang you get for your back to the US the comparison is laughable.
The bang you get for your back??? What have you been doing over there, Davey?!?  ??? ??? ???

Written By: La Roche on 10/05/06 at 4:32 pm

The bang you get for your back??? What have you been doing over there, Davey?!?  ??? ??? ???

Doh!

Bang for your buck I meant to say.

Written By: KKay on 10/12/06 at 3:49 pm

Of course, no matter where you go, there you are.

but i'd still love the country...lots of space, quiet and privacy....and dogs.

Check for new replies or respond here...