» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT????!!!!

Written By: saver on 04/04/05 at 8:03 pm

>:(D  A story in the Los Angeles Daily News reports a  school in Washington FORBIDS teachers from using RED ink-pen to make suggested corrections to students papers as it connotes NEGATIVITY..they only let them use blue, black (perhaps green) any other but RED and other teachers DON'T find this practice ABSURD!!!! (they agree with it).....

YIKES!!!! :o 

Subject: Re: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT????!!!!

Written By: UKVisitor on 04/04/05 at 8:15 pm

What the f... ??? Okay, now we've got the looney PC brigade on the march. I mean, yeah don't let teachers beat up on kids but...red ink - unghhhh - its NEGATIVE ??? Tell that to the Native Americans that the colour RED is now a negative colour. Whoo, lets start this one up good and proper. I mean some people should just, you know, GET A F****G LIFE and concentrate on the important matters.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/04/05 at 8:26 pm

OK, then, let 'em use green pen instead of red.  In a generation green will be laden with negative connotations, so they'll switch to purple pen.  And so on and so on.
:D

Silly, silly, silly!

The reason teachers use RED pen is so their corrections and remarks will not be obscured by the blue or black ink on the students' papers. 
I received a lot of rave reviews from my English teachers for my writing, and they were written in the same red ink as the scoldings from my math teachers!
DUH!
::)

Written By: Dagwood on 04/04/05 at 9:57 pm

Is there no other problem that needs to be dealt with in this town?  ::)

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/04/05 at 10:12 pm

Is there no other problem that needs to be dealt with in this town? ::)

Yes!

http://tvland.classictvhits.com/AndyGriffith/Pics/AndyGriffith11.JPG

;D

Written By: Dagwood on 04/04/05 at 10:18 pm

Bwahahahaha!  Good one. :)

Written By: whitewolf on 04/04/05 at 10:19 pm

Tell that to the Native Americans that the colour RED is now a negative colour.

Hate to tell youthis but whoever originally called Natives Red Skins must have been color blind. It's more of a dark tan.

Forbidding teachers to use red pens is ridiculous, using them, as someone already pointed out, makes it stand out more. Maybe with the concept that students will see their mistakes easier and be able to correct them.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/04/05 at 10:31 pm

Hate to tell youthis but whoever originally called Natives Red Skins must have been color blind. It's more of a dark tan.

*looks at mother's picture and her beautiful brown face* i see no red.

banning red ink...someone has too much time on their hands.

Written By: whitewolf on 04/04/05 at 10:37 pm

*looks at mother's picture and her beautiful brown face* i see no red.

banning red ink...someone has too much time on their hands.

way too much time.

Written By: UKVisitor on 04/04/05 at 10:46 pm

Sorry, I realised that was the case but then most 'black' men aren't really pure midnight black but many shades of colour. And yet there is an argument about the colour black being seen as a negative colour. Frankly, again, I see this as being a touch knee-jerk over sensitivity. I think black is a great colour and most of my clothes are of that colour so if it is negative then I must a bad, bad person which...umm, I think I've written myself into a corner here. Hey everyone, look at my cute Avatar (desperate attempt to distract everyone from his pathetic loss of narrative skills  ::)

*ahem* well ya get what I mean I hope...sort of... ummm, I'll get my coat !

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/04/05 at 10:48 pm

Sorry, I realised that was the case but then most 'black' men aren't really pure midnight black but many shades of colour. And yet there is an argument about the colour black being seen as a negative colour. Frankly, again, I see this as being a touch knee-jerk over sensitivity. I think black is a great colour and most of my clothes are of that colour so if it is negative then I must a bad, bad person which...umm, I think I've written myself into a corner here. Hey everyone, look at my cute Avatar (desperate attempt to distract everyone from his pathetic loss of narrative skills ::)

Martin, go to the creationism thread and comment on my theory.

Written By: whitewolf on 04/04/05 at 10:49 pm

Sorry, I realised that was the case but then most 'black' men aren't really pure midnight black but many shades of colour. And yet there is an argument about the colour black being seen as a negative colour. Frankly, again, I see this as being a touch knee-jerk over sensitivity. I think black is a great colour and most of my clothes are of that colour so if it is negative then I must a bad, bad person which...umm, I think I've written myself into a corner here. Hey everyone, look at my cute Avatar (desperate attempt to distract everyone from his pathetic loss of narrative skills  ::)

relax, I know you didn't mean anything by it, was just pointing that out.

Written By: Chrisrj on 04/04/05 at 10:54 pm

Actually, it's been proven that red is a very exciting color, and using red ink to correct papers does seem to stress students out, or make them miserable later(YOU'RE WRONG! YOU'RE WRONG! YOU'LL ALWAYS BE WRONG!).  Green's a lot more relaxing, so if they're going to correct answers, it might seem more calming and friendly, and thusly, the students' grades might improve.  I think it's a good idea personally.

But it might not change a thing, so we'll just have to discover the overall scores of students a few years from now.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/04/05 at 10:56 pm

Actually, it's been proven that red is a very exciting color, and using red ink to correct papers does seem to stress students out, or make them miserable later(YOU'RE WRONG! YOU'RE WRONG! YOU'LL ALWAYS BE WRONG!). Green's a lot more relaxing, so if they're going to correct answers, it might seem more calming and friendly, and thusly, the students' grades might improve. I think it's a good idea personally.

But it might not change a thing, so we'll just have to discover the overall scores of students a few years from now.

Hmm, now that you have explained it that way..maybe it makes sense afterall. ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/05/05 at 10:44 am

I did hear about this. I think it is totally absurd. I happen to like the color red.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/05/05 at 12:46 pm

SILLY SILLY SILLY  I don't use red, just regular pencil.  No reason except its always handy.  From now on I just might switch.  :D

Written By: McDonald on 04/05/05 at 1:38 pm

I received a lot of rave reviews from my English teachers for my writing, and they were written in the same red ink as the scoldings from my math teachers!
DUH!
::)

Same here. This is ridiculous, but whatever... at least no one was harmed in the making of this idiot brigade.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/05/05 at 5:01 pm

SILLY SILLY SILLY  I don't use red, just regular pencil.  No reason except its always handy.  From now on I just might switch.  :D

Well, you only have a few more papers to grade (unless you teach part-time)

Cat

Written By: GWBush2004 on 04/05/05 at 5:40 pm

I found the story, it's not about Washington, though it's about another one of the normal suspect states when it comes to this kind of stuff, Connecticut.

Some parents raising a stink over teachers' use of red ink

Of all the things that can make a person see red, school principal Gail Karwoski was not expecting parents to get huffy about, well, seeing red.

At Daniels Farm Elementary School in Trumbull, Conn., Karwoski's teachers grade papers by giving examples of better answers for those students who make mistakes. But that approach meant the kids often found their work covered in red, the color that teachers long have used to grade work.

Parents objected. Red writing, they said, was "stressful." The principal said teachers were just giving constructive advice and the color of ink used to convey that message should not matter. But some parents could not let it go.

So the school put red on the blacklist. Blue and other colors are in.

"It's not an argument we want to have at this point because what we need is the parents' understanding," Karwoski said. "The color of the message should not be the issue."

In many other schools, the color red has become so symbolic of negativity that some principals and teachers will not touch it.

"You could hold up a paper that says, 'Great work!' and it won't even matter if it's written in red," said Joseph Foriska, principal of Thaddeus Stevens Elementary in Pittsburgh.

He has instructed his teachers to grade with more "pleasant-feeling tones" so that their instructional messages do not come across as derogatory.

At Public School 188 in Manhattan, 25-year-old teacher Justin Kazmark grades with purple, which has emerged as a new color of choice for many educators, pen manufacturers confirm.

"My generation was brought up on right or wrong with no in between, and red was always in your face," Kazmark said. "It's abrasive to me."

Link: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/3116203

Oh no, the red ink scares me!  What a load.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/05/05 at 6:48 pm

Actually, it's been proven that red is a very exciting color, and using red ink to correct papers does seem to stress students out, or make them miserable later(YOU'RE WRONG! YOU'RE WRONG! YOU'LL ALWAYS BE WRONG!). Green's a lot more relaxing, so if they're going to correct answers, it might seem more calming and friendly, and thusly, the students' grades might improve. I think it's a good idea personally.

*ahem*

Written By: saver on 04/06/05 at 11:55 am

(the Washington story line threw me off..but...There you go...!)

That's why I stopped eating RED PITACHIOS..it was so depressing!!! :D

Check for new replies or respond here...