» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Texas Senator calls killing judges understandable

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/05/05 at 8:21 pm

On the subject of "unaccountable" judges getting physically attacked, Sen. John Cornyn had this to say on Monday 4/4 on the senate floor:

"I don't know if there is a cause-and-effect connection but we have seen some recent episodes of courthouse violence in this country. Certainly nothing new, but we seem to have run through a spate of courthouse violence recently that's been on the news and I wonder whether there may be some connection between the perception in some quarters on some occasions where judges are making political decisions yet are unaccountable to the public, that it builds up and builds up and builds up to the point where some people engage in - engage in violence."

You're not hearing about this tonight on Fox News, and you probably won't hear a word of it tomorrow on Rush Limbaugh, but can you imagine if the tables were turned?  Imagine if the Left just lost a major legal battle, like the Right lost in the case of Terri Schiavo.  Imagine if this Senator John Cornyn was not a Republican from Texas, but a liberal Democrat from Vermont.  No sooner would the words leave his mouth than would there arise a deafening roar of fury from the Right and their media lapdogs!

DETAILS AND CONTEXT:
http://www.populist.com/index.html#cornyn5404

Subject: Re: Texas Senator calls killing judges understandable

Written By: Dagwood on 04/05/05 at 8:50 pm

I can see what he is trying to say.  I don't think he is trying to condone it, though.  That would be political suicide, regardless of party affiliation. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/05/05 at 9:31 pm

I can see what he is trying to say.  I don't think he is trying to condone it, though.  That would be political suicide, regardless of party affiliation. 

Well, as Mark Atrios was saying tonight on Majority Report, he's playing the role of the mafia thug:
"Nice judiciary you got there.  Be a shame if anything bad happened to 'em, wouldn't it?" 
He is doing the same grandstanding political battle cry House Majority Leader Tom DeLay was when he said, "The time will come for these men to pay for their actions," and blah blah blah.

Cornyn is not "advocating" the murder of judges, but he is saying they get what they have coming to them.  And no, it's not political suicide for a member of the American Fascist Party to say so.  If one of those weak-kneed, lily-livered Dems implied any compassion for violence against the Fascist Republicans, the Fascist media (talk radio, cable news, NY Post, Washington Times) would be screaming for his head, and the limp-d!ck mainstream press would wring their hands and say, "Gosh, we can't have government officials saying that sort of thing, I agree with Rush on this one."
As it is, the only places it's getting any attention are the liberal blogs and Air America radio.
There is a double standard here as double as a standard can get!!!
::)

Written By: Dagwood on 04/05/05 at 10:00 pm

I don't think you are giving the American public enough credit.  Most people vote their heart, not their party.  If enough people don't like what he said they will not re-elect him. 

As for the biased news media...it goes both ways.  Some are biased towards the right and some the left.  I don't think there is such a thing as unbiased news.  Look at Dan Rather.  He hung onto a story even after documents the story was based on were proved to be forged.  To me that doesn't show bias towards Repubs. 

Also, as for the Fascist/Repub thing...I think we will just have to agree to disagree on that point. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/05/05 at 11:01 pm

I don't think you are giving the American public enough credit.  Most people vote their heart, not their party.  If enough people don't like what he said they will not re-elect him. 

As for the biased news media...it goes both ways.  Some are biased towards the right and some the left.  I don't think there is such a thing as unbiased news.  Look at Dan Rather.  He hung onto a story even after documents the story was based on were proved to be forged.  To me that doesn't show bias towards Repubs. 

Also, as for the Fascist/Repub thing...I think we will just have to agree to disagree on that point. ;)

Americans who vote Fascist (Republican) vote out of the frenzied emotional state the Fascist-booster media has helped the Fascist Party (Republican) whip them into.  They are scared of terrorists, they hate immigrants and welfare recipients sponging off their tax dollars, and they think the Fascists are the party of God and Truth and Right.  All of this crumbles as soon as you start looking at facts and analyzing with your brain.  But as a great man once said, "don't confuse me with facts, my mind's made up."

If you read the central tenets of Fascism, you will see a seamless match to the Republican Party's strategies and philosophies.  It's all there.

Fascists whip people into such fierce loyalty they will condone first talk of assassinating those who would stand in the way of the righteous path, and then very real assassination of those who stand in the way.

One more point--and this applies to both John Kerry AND Dan Rather:
The Republican Party is the clown who throws the pie, the Democrat Party is the party who gets splatted by the pie, but they BOTH work for THE SAME CIRCUS!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...