» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Girly man Peter Jennings doesn't go to Rome to cover Pope's passing

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/06/05 at 11:00 am

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/4/4/103531.shtml

Imagine that... "under the weather" with something as lame as cancer.  They have chemo in Rome too, he should have been there anyways!!!

Good thing those righteous folks at Newsmax let us know.  I'm sure they sent out a flock of people to cover it themselves.

of course, they haven't always been fans of the Pope

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/3/30/212203.shtml

Mired in the lonely delusions of those reliving the great liberal loss of the year 2000, Moore castigated President Bush as a �fictitious� commander in chief, winning by �fictitious� election results, and sending the nation into war for �fictitious� reasons, as vouchsafed by such leaders as the pope, Bill Maher and the Dixie Chicks.

Imagine that, the Pope is a dang liberal commie like Bil Maher and the Dixie Chicks.  Who knew?  I bet Newsmax is still touting that line right now.  Makes you wonder why they even care about the network coverage.

Subject: Re: Girly man Peter Jennings doesn't go to Rome to cover Pope's passing

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/06/05 at 11:08 am

To be fair that article was written the day before Jennings announced he had lung cancer. Though I still think they were still being somewhat insensitive.

Subject: Re: Girly man Peter Jennings doesn't go to Rome to cover Pope's passing

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/06/05 at 11:55 am

To be fair that article was written the day before Jennings announced he had lung cancer. Though I still think they were still being somewhat insensitive.

quite.  of course they could always issue a retraction or correction.  oh wait, it's newsmax.  nevermind.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/06/05 at 12:39 pm

What right has anyone to question why a newcaster would go or not.  There are lots of reasons
why he wouldn't, or couldn't, and none of it is anyones business anyway.  All that matters is if
there is a newsworty story then it is being covered competently.  Still I hope the fell like the
a$$es they are.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/06/05 at 1:44 pm

What right has anyone to question why a newcaster would go or not.  There are lots of reasons
why he wouldn't, or couldn't, and none of it is anyones business anyway.  All that matters is if
there is a newsworty story then it is being covered competently.  Still I hope the fell like the
a$$es they are.

In all sense of reality that's what the news is all about! The media was, is, and always will be about tapping into other people's business and making it known to everyone.  Koby Bryant makes 1.2 K a year.  Kathie Lee Gifford isn't liked by Regis Phibin. I know all of this, my business or not,  because the media makes it my business.

The media causes much more harm than it does good.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/06/05 at 2:07 pm

The media causes much more harm than it does good.

I beg to differ.  The media in this country $ucks big time, but it is the media we have.  I find that at least my local newspaper (which both Cat and I read every morning) does a decent job keeping the public informed.  If we, the  people, demanded more from the broadcast media, we might get it.  Like more serious news, more accurate reporting, less Martha, Michael, and Terri, and more on serious topics, like health care and Social Security.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/06/05 at 2:15 pm

quite.  of course they could always issue a retraction or correction.  oh wait, it's newsmax.  nevermind.

Yeah, I know, I think they probably should have pulled that article in light of him revealing that he has lung cancer. It's kind of insensitive to keep that up. But I guess you can't expect newsmax to show any real class.

Written By: Mushroom on 04/06/05 at 2:29 pm

As has been said before, the story written was posted before the announcement of his having cancer.  And the article also fires at CBS, who also did not send a "Major" reporter to the story.  Here is the story about Jenning's anouncement:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2005/4/5/114449.shtml

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/06/05 at 2:35 pm

As has been said before, the story written was posted before the announcement of his having cancer.  And the article also fires at CBS, who also did not send a "Major" reporter to the story.  Here is the story about Jenning's anouncement:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2005/4/5/114449.shtml

so they don't need to print a retraction?  It looks like ABC did send a major reporter, their next major reporter after Jennings.  That would be a mistake on Newsmax's part in my book.  You'll notice Newsmax "writes" a story without doing any kind of real reporter work, like say, calling the parties in question. It's just a piece to bash their enemies, so there's no need to apologize if there's a good reason someone isn't sent.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/06/05 at 3:28 pm

I beg to differ.  The media in this country $ucks big time, but it is the media we have.  I find that at least my local newspaper (which both Cat and I read every morning) does a decent job keeping the public informed.  If we, the  people, demanded more from the broadcast media, we might get it.  Like more serious news, more accurate reporting, less Martha, Michael, and Terri, and more on serious topics, like health care and Social Security.

I agee with the less Martha, Michael, and Terri thing. However I don't understand what you're begging to differ.....what you said actually goes along with what I was talking about.

Written By: Mushroom on 04/06/05 at 3:50 pm

so they don't need to print a retraction?  It looks like ABC did send a major reporter, their next major reporter after Jennings.  That would be a mistake on Newsmax's part in my book.

One thing that I do not consider NewsMax is ""100% Journalism".  To me, most of their stories are more like an "Editorial".  They make no claim to being impartial or ballanced.

This does not make them any less honest or trustworthy.  However, you do have to consider that you are reading 75% news and 25% editorial.  And how often are any editorials "retracted"?

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/06/05 at 4:01 pm

One thing that I do not consider NewsMax is ""100% Journalism".  To me, most of their stories are more like an "Editorial".  They make no claim to being impartial or ballanced.

This does not make them any less honest or trustworthy.  However, you do have to consider that you are reading 75% news and 25% editorial.  And how often are any editorials "retracted"?

A more reputable news source, would identify an editoral as such, and identify who wrote it.  Generally if an editoral writer is 100% off the mark like this one, they have a reputation to maintain and will write an apology or brief retraction.  Not something I'd expect from this organization, they hide under a rock of anonymity and scurry out to lob little stories at their opponents.

Written By: EthanM on 04/06/05 at 4:34 pm

Their jokes section isn't bad... probably because they take it from late night talk shows instead of their regular readers. I was surprised to see some things making fun of george bush in there. But nothing from the Daily Show. It would've been great if they quoted Jon Stewart.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/06/05 at 4:53 pm

Their jokes section isn't bad... probably because they take it from late night talk shows instead of their regular readers. I was surprised to see some things making fun of george bush in there. But nothing from the Daily Show. It would've been great if they quoted Jon Stewart.

John Stewart isn't really a standup comedian on his show, they basically look for one liners.  I read it a few times, but to be honest, outside of the Daily Show, I find most late night talk shows to be rather dull and unoriginal.  I'm guessing I'm not alone, since more people tune into Adult Swim than any other cable channel.

Written By: Marian on 04/07/05 at 2:11 pm

But still, if he's "under the weather", I'd rather have him NOT on a plane than sharing whatever he has with the 100 or so people (probably more cuz it's transatlantic) on the plane :D
That's a good point.And to think it used to be legal to "share" your smoke with everyone on the plane,even kids!Who aren't even old enough to legallyu buy cigarettes,but stilll "smoke' them anyway. >:(

Check for new replies or respond here...