» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: How important is the Environment?

Written By: DevoRule on 04/08/05 at 12:56 am

I'd say Of prime importance.  The only thing I can possibly see being more of a threat is Nuclear warfare.  If some nutcase got hold of some nukes that would mean big trouble. 

Stuff like war, terrorism, and poverty, while important, are void if there's no ecology.  Global warming could very well f us up within the next 100 years or less.

Subject: Re: How important is the Environment?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/08/05 at 12:58 am

That gets a prime rate, my friend.  Without an inhabitable planet, other issues are meaningless.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/08/05 at 12:59 am

That gets a prime rate, my friend. Without an inhabitable planet, other issues are meaningless.

Nail. Head. You know the saying.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/08/05 at 1:16 am

Nail. Head. You know the saying.

I think I heard that from the EarthFirst!ers who started gaining national attention in the late '80s.  A couple of EarthFirster's got blown up by a CIA bomb in 1989, I think.  People that activist and that dogmatic have right on some things, and wrong on other things, but don't you dare tell them so.  They'll oust you from the party! 
I know, it happened to me.  I was literally a card-carrying communist when I was 20, but then again, all the best of us were!
And don't you dare quote George Bernard Shaw!  That's not what I meant, wise-guy!
I wouldn't say I got ousted so much as I quit hanging around with them dudes.  Just don't denigrate Comrade Stalin!
::)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/08/05 at 1:19 am

Prime importance... without an earth, we do not exist.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/08/05 at 1:24 am

Prime importance... without an earth, we do not exist.

The Earth as planet will still be around, it's just we won't!!

Unless of course we get hit by an extraterrestrial object so gigant it blows the the planet to smithereens, like in an old game of "Asteroids," well, that's that!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/08/05 at 1:28 am

The Earth as planet will still be around, it's just we won't!!

Unless of course we get hit by an extraterrestrial object so gigant it blows the the planet to smithereens, like in an old game of "Asteroids," well, that's that!

I was going to change the above statement:

Prime importance... without an environment, we do not exist. We need plants, water, clean air etc to survive.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/08/05 at 1:44 am

I was going to change the above statement:

Prime importance... without an environment, we do not exist. We need plants, water, clean air etc to survive.

That sums it up, we need plants and water to survive, oh, and some terra firma for those of us species without gills and fins.  When you consider the environments found all over every extraterrestrial body we've explored, the parameters around conditions for intelligent life are pretty slim.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/08/05 at 4:09 pm

Without the environment as we know it, we ae=re all in deep shhh.  What else can one say?

Written By: UKVisitor on 04/08/05 at 9:44 pm

Meanwhile back in the chambers of power the earths natural resources continue to be raped to gild the egos and empires of those that believe they are superhuman and come the end of the world they will be saved. Thank god some of you guys and gals care about our environment - sadly you are not inherently twisted enough to gain the power from the hands that rock the cradle. Still if we can at least slow down the process of environmental genocide there will always remain hope.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/09/05 at 2:45 am

Meanwhile back in the chambers of power the earths natural resources continue to be raped to gild the egos and empires of those that believe they are superhuman and come the end of the world they will be saved. Thank god some of you guys and gals care about our environment - sadly you are not inherently twisted enough to gain the power from the hands that rock the cradle. Still if we can at least slow down the process of environmental genocide there will always remain hope.

Hey me and my guys are makin' a buck, quite cryin' you commies...you gotta problem, you come down and deal with us!

Written By: Bobby on 04/09/05 at 2:51 am

I said very important. I'm not protesting for the conservation of wildlife, trees and ozone so it would be a lie for me to say 'of prime importance'. However, we recycle all the time and are doing our little bit.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/09/05 at 3:17 am

I said very important. I'm not protesting for the conservation of wildlife, trees and ozone so it would be a lie for me to say 'of prime importance'. However, we recycle all the time and are doing our little bit.  :)

Even in the relative country here, wildlife has become so scarce, it is rmarkable each time you see a badger, a moose, a deer, a fox, they seem so alien to us.  The forest is full of plants I can'd name.  Most of us can't, yet how many brand names do we recognize.  So it would be nice to see more of them around.  Homeostasis is hard to achieve when farmers and fearful neighbors kill off all the pedators.  Do we have to learn to like the wolf?

Written By: Bobby on 04/09/05 at 3:35 am

Even in the relative country here, wildlife has become so scarce, it is rmarkable each time you see a badger, a moose, a deer, a fox, they seem so alien to us.  The forest is full of plants I can'd name.  Most of us can't, yet how many brand names do we recognize.  So it would be nice to see more of them around.  Homeostasis is hard to achieve when farmers and fearful neighbors kill off all the pedators.  Do we have to learn to like the wolf?

It is such a shame to hear (especially in the seas) that brands of wildlife are going to be extinct in the very near future. It's even more disturbing to hear that these wildlife affect our eco-systems in such a massive way.  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/09/05 at 4:21 am

It is such a shame to hear (especially in the seas) that brands of wildlife are going to be extinct in the very near future. It's even more disturbing to hear that these wildlife affect our eco-systems in such a massive way.  :-\\

Free market capitalism requires a limitless supply of whatever it is investors shall exploit.  Whether it's mineral, vegetable, animal, or human.  If a fundamental change is needed on the part of mankind to save himself, capitalism has no answer.  It has not because environmental responsibility is always unprofitable, but it's that it is less PROFITABLE for ME and my BUDDIES and NOW then it can't get any consideration by the status quo as a viable philosophy.
Supply side economics is incompatible with an inhabitable planet.

Written By: Bobby on 04/09/05 at 8:08 am

It seems extreme business capitalism has only the short-term future in mind. I get this weird image in my mind that later on in life, when all the trees have been cut down. Businesses will exploit the oxygen business and we all have to wear masks and buy our breath like we would pay a gas bill!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...