» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Obese shoppers say clerks not helpful

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/10/05 at 2:38 pm

This story just came over the wire.  I think it is a phenomenon worth noting and discussing:
http://www.masslive.com/newsflash/national/index.ssf?/base/national-4/1113157300208800.xml&storylist=national

Do overweight people get treated differently in general?  Is fat discrimination tolerated?

Subject: Re: Obese shoppers say clerks not helpful

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 2:43 pm

This story just came over the wire. I think it is a phenomenon worth noting and discussing:
http://www.masslive.com/newsflash/national/index.ssf?/base/national-4/1113157300208800.xml&storylist=national

Do overweight people get treated differently in general? Is fat discrimination tolerated?

Yes.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/10/05 at 3:20 pm

I've never had a problem with discrimination.  Maybe it is a regional thing.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/10/05 at 3:38 pm

Of course sales clerks (and many others) discriminate in subtle ways against obese people.  In a related matter, I just read that good looking people tend to get promoted faster and make more money that average looking or ugly people.  I feel the impulse as I deal with students, which is one way that I justify my difficulty at remembering their names.  If I can't associate a name with a face (or body) I can only base my evaluation on what they write.  The same holds true for race/ethnicity.  Is it any wonder?  Cat and I watched a Discovery Channel show not long ago about sex (like we need instructions - NOT)  but it was interesting.  It claimed that we are the most sex-driven spicies out there.  No esterus, no "rutting season", no female advertisement of fertility, and the most common positions are all face to face, at least 3.  So, I guess appearance means a lot, and while standards of beauty vary with culture, most seem to value women with broad hips, slender waists, and prominant breasts.  These all seem to indicate health, vigor, good genes, and strong reproductive potential (in addition to a good time  ;)).  And (especially tall)  slender and muscular men tend to be attractive to women for similar reasons (good genes, good provider, fun in bed).  All of these subliminal attractions would mitigate against obese people, although obesity is certainly in the eyes of the beholder.  But there too, I find it difficultr to imagine a person who's belly obscures their genitalia to be in any way attractive to the opposite sex.  When I see such a person, I almost instictively feel (not think) low self esteem, poor nutrician, ugly, NO WAY.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 3:45 pm

Of course sales clerks (and many others) discriminate in subtle ways against obese people. In a related matter, I just read that good looking people tend to get promoted faster and make more money that average looking or ugly people. I feel the impulse as I deal with students, which is one way that I justify my difficulty at remembering their names. If I can't associate a name with a face (or body) I can only base my evaluation on what they write. The same holds true for race/ethnicity. Is it any wonder? Cat and I watched a Discovery Channel show not long ago about sex (like we need instructions - NOT) but it was interesting. It claimed that we are the most sex-driven spicies out there. No esterus, no "rutting season", no female advertisement of fertility, and the most common positions are all face to face, at least 3. So, I guess appearance means a lot, and while standards of beauty vary with culture, most seem to value women with broad hips, slender waists, and prominant breasts. These all seem to indicate health, vigor, good genes, and strong reproductive potential (in addition to a good time ;)). And (especially tall) slender and muscular men tend to be attractive to women for similar reasons (good genes, good provider, fun in bed). All of these subliminal attractions would mitigate against obese people, although obesity is certainly in the eyes of the beholder. But there too, I find it difficultr to imagine a person who's belly obscures their genitalia to be in any way attractive to the opposite sex. When I see such a person, I almost instictively feel (not think) low self esteem, poor nutrician, ugly, NO WAY.

Thanks for the endorsement.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/10/05 at 4:34 pm

Thanks for the endorsement.

Your welcome, but I hope there were also some insights there to challenge people to reach an understanding of this phenomenon (which, as I tried to suggest, I try to resist).

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 4:39 pm

Your welcome, but I hope there were also some insights there to challenge people to reach an understanding of this phenomenon (which, as I tried to suggest, I try to resist).

??? I was being sarcastic..

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/10/05 at 4:44 pm

??? I was being sarcastic..

Sarcastic?  You lost me.  Do you disagree with what I posted?  If so, tell me why.  You must know that I lovce a debate.  If you agree, than where was the sarcasm?  I guess I'm confused.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 4:48 pm

I find it difficultr to imagine a person who's belly obscures their genitalia to be in any way attractive to the opposite sex.  When I see such a person, I almost instictively feel (not think) low self esteem, poor nutrician, ugly, NO WAY

That was what my original comment was directed at.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/10/05 at 6:34 pm

I know as a short man that I face a certain degree of height prejudice.  I'm not short enough for people to immediately say, "Wow!, that guy is SHORT," it's more subtle and in some ways more insidious.  The media loves to report on studies that show the correlations of greater height with greater income, more success with women, longer lifespan, etc. etc.  Some claims are true, other turn out bogus.  I try not to think about the issue at all.  Height is an immutable characteristic.  Just thinking about it as a short person undermines self-confidence and facilitates the fulfilling of the prophesy.

I do believe that overweight people--particularly obese people--face even greater prejudice and discrimination.  The media message says almost all fat people could lose that weight if they really tried, and most people who are overweight get that way because the people don't take responsibility for themselves.
I think the talk of "control" and "responsibility" is greatly exaggerated.
However, even if it wasn't, it wouldn't excuse mistreating folks because of their appearance.  I think we all have a tendency to  treat people differently based on looks, and I think the world would be a better place if we did a lot less of it.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/10/05 at 6:39 pm

speaking as someone who's 330 pounds, yes, but only in the dating world. i never percieved any prejudice while shopping.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 6:46 pm

I know as a short man that I face a certain degree of height prejudice. I'm not short enough for people to immediately say, "Wow!, that guy is SHORT," it's more subtle and in some ways more insidious. The media loves to report on studies that show the correlations of greater height with greater income, more success with women, longer lifespan, etc. etc. Some claims are true, other turn out bogus. I try not to think about the issue at all. Height is an immutable characteristic. Just thinking about it as a short person undermines self-confidence and facilitates the fulfilling of the prophesy.

I do believe that overweight people--particularly obese people--face even greater prejudice and discrimination. The media message says almost all fat people could lose that weight if they really tried, and most people who are overweight get that way because the people don't take responsibility for themselves.
I think the talk of "control" and "responsibility" is greatly exaggerated.
However, even if it wasn't, it wouldn't excuse mistreating folks because of their appearance. I think we all have a tendency to treat people differently based on looks, and I think the world would be a better place if we did a lot less of it.

Max, short men of the world unite!! :) I am short too, although like you, nto so that people are like "wow he is SHORT" but I have been discriminated against. I am 5'7".

And it is a lot to do with control and responsibility, but not totally. For many people, food was used like a drug or alcohol to deal with stress. I did it. I became obese because I did that AND because I was so depressed I was completely and totally inactive.

speaking as someone who's 330 pounds, yes, but only in the dating world. i never percieved any prejudice while shopping.

310 right here(but at least you are over 6 foot). I used to weigh 175 lbs 3 years ago, I was the same height.

Written By: ADH13 on 04/10/05 at 6:47 pm

My husband is a big man... and I have noticed that the way "big" men and women are treated has alot to do with the way they carry themselves.  An obese person who carries him/herself with confidence, has a sense of humor and portrays that "macho man" image will probably be treated better than an obese person who is shy, obviously self-conscious and "gentle".

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 6:53 pm

My husband is a big man... and I have noticed that the way "big" men and women are treated has alot to do with the way they carry themselves.  An obese person who carries him/herself with confidence, has a sense of humor and portrays that "macho man" image will probably be treated better than an obese person who is shy, obviously self-conscious and "gentle".

Well, a lot of obese people don't even try because of their size. I respect myself and my appearance. I dress very nice, I keep my hair nice, I always make the absolute best I can make out of my appearance.  A few people have asked me why I put so much into it at my size, and its simple. Its just self-respect.

At school I participate and socialize. I don't ACT like I am different because of my size. And that earns people's respect.

The incidents of discrimination I've experienced have usually been from people who don't know me.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/10/05 at 9:57 pm

Well, a lot of obese people don't even try because of their size. I respect myself and my appearance. I dress very nice, I keep my hair nice, I always make the absolute best I can make out of my appearance.  A few people have asked me why I put so much into it at my size, and its simple. Its just self-respect.

At school I participate and socialize. I don't ACT like I am different because of my size. And that earns people's respect.

The incidents of discrimination I've experienced have usually been from people who don't know me.

i just don't give a f**k what others think of me. i'm fat, big deal.

Written By: UKVisitor on 04/10/05 at 10:20 pm

Lets face it guys and gals - being fat sucks the big one. Anyone who says otherwise is living in cloud cuckoo land. I'm a good 250 pounds (back off ladies I'm taken :) ) and as I've got older I've found life harder to live. I want to go ski-ing again, walking across the beautiful welsh countryside, cycling, and... lets face it shagging like a bunny rabbit with my lady without having to take rest breaks :P

I was talking last night about a drummer in a band who is 21 years old and over 400 pounds in weight and we're worried about him making it to 30 years old. He plays 200 gigs - in a hradcore metal band - every year and he near as dammit needs oxygen after each show. This is a guy who orders TWO meals at each sitting. He has a psychological and physiological problem that everyone is ignoring and it pisses me right off !

Obesity - even at my level - has a morbidity associated with it that is beyond a joking matter. I know I've got to shuck around 80 pounds in the next few years to have a chance of having a decent mobile life in the future.

While I am TOTALLY against the discrimination inherent in our society I am also equally aware fo the need for education and positive medical action tp help people who suffer from obesity. Obesity isn't a sign of someone who is inherently lazy - you try wandering around your everyday life while carrying your exact weight again on your back and tell me a fat persons lazy - but it is a sign of someone who needs ou help not our censure.

I have been overweight for the whole fo my life but it has never held me back until the last few years when my body has just said "Hey man, give me a break lardass and lose some of the baggage" and thats what I am trying to do right now by upping my activity levels and cutting back on all the 'fun' foods (well they are, aren't they !) so I might stand a chacne of a) procreating and b) living long enough to see my my children grow up.

So to all you obese shoppers who get sheesh off moronic shop clerks, make sure you get a gold amex and make them kiss your ass while ordering stuff they can only dream of buying  ;D and then lose that weight and NO EXCUSES. If you had cancer you'd give up smoking and this is JUST as serious. If you stay fat YOU DIE. Simple as that.

"400 pounds is a lot for what is essentially a land mammal" - Ricky Gervais (The Office star in his stand up Animals show)

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 10:24 pm

Yeah I need to lose weight too, I am 310 pounds. It will take time, I'm not rushing it. Just kind of gradual, so I don't gain it back and so its a long-term lifestyle change and not a crash diet. My goal is to eventually get down to 170 pounds. But I'm sure it will take 2-3 years.

Written By: UKVisitor on 04/10/05 at 10:33 pm

Go fer it Alex - it sucks slugs to be fat forever because forever is a very short time in that case  :-\\

And i love girls with a full frame - all these skinny girls in the media - sheesh, I need a BIGGGGGGGGGGG lady to satisfy my needs ya know whjat I mean so ladies, don't you go believing all the hype in those magazines. I'm not talking Roseanne and I'm not saying I'd throw Beyonce outta my bed but anywhere between is COOOOL with me and with most guys... mmmmmmmmm fat bottomed girls they make the rocking world go round yeah !

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 10:34 pm

Go fer it Alex - it sucks slugs to be fat forever because forever is a very short time in that case :-\\

And i love girls with a full frame - all these skinny girls in the media - sheesh, I need a BIGGGGGGGGGGG lady to satisfy my needs ya know whjat I mean so ladies, don't you go believing all the hype in those magazines. I'm not talking Roseanne and I'm not saying I'd throw Beyonce outta my bed but anywhere between is COOOOL with me and with most guys... mmmmmmmmm fat bottomed girls they make the rocking world go round yeah !

I agree so much! The young lady that I fancy, she is just perfect.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/10/05 at 10:48 pm

i have diabetes from being overweight. i have lost about 100 pounds and i plan to lose more.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 10:50 pm

i have diabetes from being overweight. i have lost about 100 pounds and i plan to lose more.

I don't have diabetes, but I have had some blood sugar problems. I've been trying to be more healthy for 10 months now(since last June), I've only lost 20 pounds or so..so its a slow process.

Written By: UKVisitor on 04/10/05 at 10:52 pm

Way ta go Sputnik and Alex - you keep kicking off those pounds. It won't make your life perfect. It won't bring you happiness. It will make you live longer and have a chance to achieve your dreams. Keep going dude and wel done - I am in awe. I wish I could do the same !!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/11/05 at 2:33 am

Exactly, that's what I was saying.  If I think about my height, I'll comport myself thusly.  Hey, if big guys get ahead easier in the world, it ain't no business of mine.  It's easier to carry yourself with some style (not to be confused with "fashion") if you look like you don't give a sh*t.  In fact, not giving a sh*t is half of "style."
What's the other half?
GOT ME! 
:-\\
Of course, you can "fake" not giving a sh*t for only so long.  The real style is truly not giving a sh*t.

Written By: EmiLoca on 04/11/05 at 7:44 am

Ironically, this goes both ways. I am a 5'7", average-sized teenager and part-time clerk at a department store.  When I'm asked to help obese shoppers, I treat them no differently than I would anyone else, but some of them give me a hard time for no apparent reason.  For example, last weekend I was helping a larger girl find a dress for prom with her mother.  I pointed out a really nice black gown, and the mother absolutely EXPLODED, accusing me of "intentionally picking out 'slimming colors' for her daughter".  I don't even know what slimming colors are.  It was absolutely ridiculous.  In another instance, an obese woman paying for clothes told me to "stop checking the ****ing sizes" on her clothing, when all I did was remove the tag to scan the price. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/11/05 at 9:58 am

I think that being at either end of the spectrum (too thin or too fat) brings on comments that truly dig down deep and hurt. I have never been skinny in my entire lifetime...I have always been chubby, even as a child...but I don't eat anymore than any thin person....as a matter of fact....I was told that I don't eat enough (I usually eat only 1-2 meals a day because i get sick when I eat sometimes). The thing that makes me the most upset is that people tend to throw all heavy people into one category...just because someone is overweight doesn't mean that they are a hog that eats 24-7....or doesn't exercise...etc.
I don't eat a whole lot and I do work out at Curves for women...maybe not everyday or as much as others who go to a gym and do for 4 hours at a time...but what I am trying to convey is that I don't sit around on my A S S watching soaps and munching on ding-dongs.....yet, I am still overweight. I consider myself to have a lot of strength and under this layer of fat is a whole lotta muscle!
I can't say that I have ever had any clerk in a store actually say a rude thing to me....however, there are always the looks that occasionally come your way whenever you are in a "skinny girl" store and they look at you like, "um...why are you shopping in here".....usually it is because I am with my younger sister Beth (who has a great figure....lucky her).
Let's face it...people just suck sometimes...and it doesn't matter how you look (too fat, too skinny, too tall, too short, too whatever)....there is always someone out there who is going to be a jerk and focus on that something that you feel self-conscious about and they dwell on it...etc.. Everybody has their problems...there are no perfect people out there. Some days when I get really down on myself about being overweight....I try to look at someone who is in a worse situation than myself and after thinking about that...I usually don't feel as bad.

Erin :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/11/05 at 12:35 pm

My niece is WAY over-weight (not too sure how much she weighs). I am concerned about her health but I also don't want to "nag" because I'm sure she has heard it all before. So, how do you find that balance of telling someone that they really need to change their eating habits because of health concerns and not coming across as a lecturer because I'm sure her eyes will start glazing over and she will tune me out?

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 04/11/05 at 1:26 pm

Up until about 5 years ago I had one of the shapes that all women are told to want, tall, Tina Turner
Legs, i could eat for days and not gain a pound, and I could wear anything.  Now age is creeping in,
I look young for my age but am up to a size 16 and the sales clerks in the clothing departments don't want to know me.  They clothing selection is limited and it is a chore for someone who detests dressing all
in black to find colorful clothes after size 12(red,black,red,black b-o-r-i-n-g) Yes, I have noticed a
difference. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/11/05 at 1:46 pm

That's a tough one.  Unfortunately, unless she lives with you, there's not much you can do.  How old is she?  If she still lives at home, you might try talking to her parents, if not, then I don't know.  Maybe give her recipes that are healthy to try or something like that?  The only person I've ever had to say anything like this to is my mom, and it was because of health problems I said anything to her.  Not that it helped much, partially because my dad keeps buying food that she's not supposed to have, partially because she's stubborn ::)

She is going to be 25 (?) in a few months and lives with a couple of friends here in town. We invite her over to dinner but she is "finicky" about some foods (as in GOOD food)  but then she will scarf up junk.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 04/11/05 at 2:13 pm

She is going to be 25 (?) in a few months and lives with a couple of friends here in town. We invite her over to dinner but she is "finicky" about some foods (as in GOOD food)  but then she will scarf up junk.

Cat

Sounds quite like my sister who is now in her mid 50's and her weight just keeps going up.  She smokes
on the sly and is something of a hypochondriac.  When we were kids she was the whiny one, middle child notice me thing and now I think she uses her illnesses to get attention even though it really isn't necessary.  We love her to death, and have gotten her into counseling but I'm afraid that this is a pattern she has developed in her life.  Perhaps if you can get your niece into some kind of counseling now she won't be in my sisters position later.  Or, maybe if you get her to go to excercize classes with you, or with a friend, that worked for a while with my sister, but she sadly didn't keep it up.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/11/05 at 2:50 pm

At 6'+ I now weigh 160 +/- and have for most of my adult life.  At one point, though, I shot up to about 180 and felt really fat.  My eating habits hadn't changed, but I was going through the breakup of my first marriage.  I moved out and crashed with an older colleague and one about my age.  All 3 of us liked to cook, and I can tell you we ate very well, chicken tanduri, Puerto Rican pork with rice and beans, marvelous cassarols.  I lost weight living there.  Di-stress your lives and you might just find it easier to drop pounds as well.

Poverty also causes obesity.  Poor people I have known eat lots of staches - I once knew a woman who actually ate laundry starch  as a substitute for mashed potatos, with a bit of bacon fat, salt and pepper.  Filling, but no nutrician. 

My point is that there are lots of reasons for being over weight, and lots of reasons for trying not to be.  So I say to those of you who are on diets, stick to them, and good luck.

As to my first post, way back on the first page, you might want to read Leonard Shlain's book called Sex, Time, and Power, which also deals with questions of sexual attrction.  The book is controversial, but a good read.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/11/05 at 6:51 pm

My niece is WAY over-weight (not too sure how much she weighs). I am concerned about her health but I also don't want to "nag" because I'm sure she has heard it all before. So, how do you find that balance of telling someone that they really need to change their eating habits because of health concerns and not coming across as a lecturer because I'm sure her eyes will start glazing over and she will tune me out?

Cat

I was an overweight adolescent and can honestly say there is no easy way to tell one.  Everytime my mother would mention something to me I would get stubborn and go the other way.  Did not like being told what to do (heck, I still don't ;) ).  It might be easier for her coming from you where you aren't her mother so it might not seem like nagging.   I wish I could help you, Cat.  My thoughts are with you on this one.

My boss and I were talking about this article at work today.  I have come to the conclusion I am just oblivious.  On the radio the host was talking about it and the horror stories people had about discrimination would stop me cold.  Either I have been incredibly lucky, or just oblivious to what others think about me. 

Crazymom, you speak sense.  I would never dream of going up to a think person and say "god, you're so skinny".  If someone walked up to me and said "god, you are so fat" they would definately get the rough side of my tongue.  You're right, it is incredibly rude either way.  Some people just have no tact.

ETA:
Good job on the losses Sputnikcorp and Alex.  Keep up the good work. :)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/17/05 at 7:01 pm

As a 285-pound woman....yes,there is nastiness out there towards large-size people. I know PERSONALLY what it's like to have kids giggle and ask'why are you so fat?'....and adults who make snide comments like 'don't buy so much food' when they see me struggle with lots of grocery bags...like I buy just food and not household stuff and supplies for my cat,Tika...and then my mental health staff get on me like the dickens about my weight and food plan...I know it's because they care but I also think that they have to try and "normalize" their clients so that the State and the taxpayers see us as 'success stories' and 'fitting into society'.....I am working on my problem,but HONESTLY I feel society needs to stop the rudeness and accept ALL people no matter their size...

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/18/05 at 3:55 pm

HONESTLY I feel society needs to stop the rudeness and accept ALL people no matter their size...

I totally agree with this, and try to do it in my personall and professional life.  I do see obesity as an increasing national problem, for which there are MANY causes - kids playing computer games rather that playing outside, lots of stress in our lives, junk food for dinner (I cook most nights, healthy).  I must say, though, that on this one, I have to agree with the conservatives, that there is a satrong eliment of "personal resaponsibility" involved.  I once knew a woman who weighted upwards of 350 lbs., had her stomach tied, lost about 200lbs, and, after a few weeks, started eating a quart to a half gallon of ice cream a night.  Fat again VERY SOON, ah duh.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/18/05 at 5:46 pm

I totally agree with this, and try to do it in my personall and professional life. I do see obesity as an increasing national problem, for which there are MANY causes - kids playing computer games rather that playing outside, lots of stress in our lives, junk food for dinner (I cook most nights, healthy). I must say, though, that on this one, I have to agree with the conservatives, that there is a satrong eliment of "personal resaponsibility" involved. I once knew a woman who weighted upwards of 350 lbs., had her stomach tied, lost about 200lbs, and, after a few weeks, started eating a quart to a half gallon of ice cream a night. Fat again VERY SOON, ah duh.
I honestly think that the woman actually was a food addict. And I wonder if she really WANTED help....even with bariatric (gastric bypass) surgery...you still have to eat responsibly. And being a recovering compulsive overeater...I know that's not exactly easy. It takes personal,spiritual,therapeutic and emotional WORK to deal with it!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/18/05 at 10:36 pm

As a 285-pound woman....yes,there is nastiness out there towards large-size people. I know PERSONALLY what it's like to have kids giggle and ask'why are you so fat?'....and adults who make snide comments like 'don't buy so much food' when they see me struggle with lots of grocery bags...like I buy just food and not household stuff and supplies for my cat,Tika...and then my mental health staff get on me like the dickens about my weight and food plan...I know it's because they care but I also think that they have to try and "normalize" their clients so that the State and the taxpayers see us as 'success stories' and 'fitting into society'.....I am working on my problem,but HONESTLY I feel society needs to stop the rudeness and accept ALL people no matter their size...

I agree 100%.  I think a lot of the snarky attitudes come from television and our pop culture media in which the rich and the "beautiful" are deified.  American pop culture is utterly toxic, and that includes the theater American politicians put on for the citizenry while they pick our pockets. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/19/05 at 11:12 am

I agree 100%.  I think a lot of the snarky attitudes come from television and our pop culture media in which the rich and the "beautiful" are deified.  American pop culture is utterly toxic, and that includes the theater American politicians put on for the citizenry while they pick our pockets. 

We get a lot of mixed signals from pop culture. You have these commercials where everyone is eating high calorie, high fat, meals (i.e. McDonald's), plus loading up on sugary drinks (soda), and all the time that we are immobile because we spend hours watching t.v., playing videos games, and sitting at the computer. (Yes Carlos, I am including myself-I know I spend WAY too many hours in from of this computer  ;))  But then we are supposed to fit in a perfect size 8.

Cat

Written By: MelodyFawn on 04/19/05 at 1:26 pm

Hi Cat,
Speaking as someone who has been there, you are best to say nothing.  Overweight people are experts on nutrition, health concerns, exercise, etc.  Lack of knowledge is not the reason for being overweight.  Assuming it's not due to medical reasons such as thyroid or such, it's generally lack of motivation.  They have to find the motivation within themselves or they'll never lose the weight and keep it off.

If you really feel the need to talk to her, I would start with "I'm only going to bring this up once because I love you and worry about you..." and then ask if there's any way you can help (like maybe being a walking partner or exercise partner).  If she says no...or gives indication that she's embarrassed by the whole subject, then let it go and don't bring it up again.   :)

Melody

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/19/05 at 3:31 pm

We get a lot of mixed signals from pop culture. You have these commercials where everyone is eating high calorie, high fat, meals (i.e. McDonald's), plus loading up on sugary drinks (soda), and all the time that we are immobile because we spend hours watching t.v., playing videos games, and sitting at the computer. (Yes Carlos, I am including myself-I know I spend WAY too many hours in from of this computer  ;))  But then we are supposed to fit in a perfect size 8.

Cat

Well, in this area I have to side with the conservatives to some extent.  Clearly, there are areas of our lives where we need to take responsibility.  Our person habits are one of those areas.

Written By: Gis on 04/20/05 at 10:52 am

It's been interesting reading this thread.To add an English/European pespective on one thing.The portion sizes served in America are enormous and in some cases obscene they are so huge! Having been to America many times now I've seen it for myself and I swear anyone who has just come back from the States will comment in amazment on the size of portions of food served in restaurants.For exampe a king size macdonald's or burger king in the U.K is the equivalent of a medium in America !
I have to say Britain is starting to head that way now and so our obesity levels are going up too.

As an offspin to the worries of childhood obesity.There has been alot of debate in the U.K in recent months about the poor quality of food served in schools.This generation of children is the first in history who are destined to die before their parents if the poor nutrition carries on.Their parents are the first generation who rarely if ever cook fresh food, they have become a convenience food and junk food generation.The worry behind this being that once upon a time school dinners were the one time some kids got fresh vegetables and fruit and now it no longer happens.Thankfully there has been a huge national outcry due to the T.V chef Jamie Oliver and his programme School Dinners.I for one hope it does make the change happen.

As to shop assistants, some will be rude to whomever regardless of their size. I often wonder why some of them choose a job with the public when they obviously hate people so much ! 

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/20/05 at 10:59 am

Hi Gis, yeah I've been to the US a few times and visited quite a few states/cities..the portions are freakin' massive I agree and the UK is following suit.

I think Philadelphia seemed to have a really high percentage of obese people judging by the amount I saw wandering about, not so many anywhere else tho'
Have only been up as far as Toronto in Canada, Niagara, Boston. Martha's Vineyard, NYC. Philadelphia, Washington DC. Memphis TN. Cleveland and Indianapolis  ;D 

(NB; this post is not meant to be disrespectful in any way )

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/20/05 at 2:18 pm

Hi Gis, yeah I've been to the US a few times and visited quite a few states/cities..the portions are freakin' massive I agree and the UK is following suit.

I think Philadelphia seemed to have a really high percentage of obese people judging by the amount I saw wandering about, not so many anywhere else tho'
Have only been up as far as Toronto in Canada, Niagara, Boston. Martha's Vineyard, NYC. Philadelphia, Washington DC. Memphis TN. Cleveland and Indianapolis  ;D 

(NB; this post is not meant to be disrespectful in any way )

Not at all disrespectful! 

I think we in the US have come to expect large portions in restaurants because they are expensive, although many I have visited also offer a "small portions" menu.  That's the one I go to when traveling.  Near home we order the regual size figuring that the doggie bags will be another meal.  Not sure, but that may be part of the reason.  Oh, and we rarely order dessert.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/27/05 at 6:38 pm

So many people hold onto the 'thin supermodel' idea that is GLORIFIED in fashion magazines and by Hollywood(aka HollyWEIRD)..that it actually CONTRIBUTES to eating disorders such as ANOREXIA and BULIMIA...

I'm big. If anyone has a problem with my size,that's on them...I've learned to 'ignore the ignorance' and the stupid names...

Written By: Sugafairey on 04/27/05 at 7:03 pm

As we are trading war stories to do with dieting, i thought i'd add something!

I was always a slim-ish girl, I used to study performing arts which involved a lot of dancing, but when I left college I gained an awful lot of weigh, very quickly. I agree that large people do get treated differently. My friend is a model, 5'10'', skinny and gorgeous. Even when I was slim I felt fat next to her. Especially when we went shopping together. When you are large and go into skinny girl shops you feel as though the assitants are looking at you as if to say 'what on earth do you think you're doing in here???'  But I am not sure whether that was just my own paranoia about the way I looked.

I realised I was using food as a way to avoid problems that I had in my life, and I'm not blaming my ex, but he did encourage me to eat badly.

It took me a year or so to realise that my eating was a way of focusing my problems on something else, an excuse to be depressed if you will. So once I had the guts to deal with my problems, it became really easy to get the motivation to lose weight. A year and a half ago I joined Weight Watchers. I lost over 60lbs and am now within my healthy weight range. I feel much better about myself, like my old self. But I would not have been able to do it if I hadn't come to the decision on my own. No matter what cruel or caring things that were said to me during the time I was big, I had to come to it in my own time.

Losing the weight was hard work, but I did it for myself and I feel as though I have achieved something great.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/28/05 at 6:05 pm

As we are trading war stories to do with dieting, i thought i'd add something!

I was always a slim-ish girl, I used to study performing arts which involved a lot of dancing, but when I left college I gained an awful lot of weigh, very quickly. I agree that large people do get treated differently. My friend is a model, 5'10'', skinny and gorgeous. Even when I was slim I felt fat next to her. Especially when we went shopping together. When you are large and go into skinny girl shops you feel as though the assitants are looking at you as if to say 'what on earth do you think you're doing in here???' But I am not sure whether that was just my own paranoia about the way I looked.

I realised I was using food as a way to avoid problems that I had in my life, and I'm not blaming my ex, but he did encourage me to eat badly.

It took me a year or so to realise that my eating was a way of focusing my problems on something else, an excuse to be depressed if you will. So once I had the guts to deal with my problems, it became really easy to get the motivation to lose weight. A year and a half ago I joined Weight Watchers. I lost over 60lbs and am now within my healthy weight range. I feel much better about myself, like my old self. But I would not have been able to do it if I hadn't come to the decision on my own. No matter what cruel or caring things that were said to me during the time I was big, I had to come to it in my own time.

Losing the weight was hard work, but I did it for myself and I feel as though I have achieved something great.
Every time I see a fashion show on TV or in a magazine...I wonder if those rail-thin models ever eat a proper,nutritious meal..three times daily like we're supposed to eat? Or are their agents,bosses,and the like driving them towards ANOREXIA or BULIMIA...?

Written By: Sugafairey on 04/29/05 at 5:35 am

Every time I see a fashion show on TV or in a magazine...I wonder if those rail-thin models ever eat a proper,nutritious meal..three times daily like we're supposed to eat? Or are their agents,bosses,and the like driving them towards ANOREXIA or BULIMIA...?

Well, I don't know about those super-models, but my friend eats proper meals. It's sickening the amount of rubbish she eats without gaining weight. You can tell she eats though, she is very slim but looks totally healthy. She gets really hurt when people accuse her of being anorexic, but with her, it is clearly her genes. Her Mum, Dad and Brother are all exactly the same.

Written By: cancemini2real on 05/29/05 at 1:03 am

How is it, that I visit every gym and at least 5 of these gyms has at least 1 or 2 overweight male personal trainers and staff members and not 1 female personal trainer or staff members?!! Excluding the members! >:(

Written By: Climber on 05/29/05 at 1:42 am

I have never been skinny in my entire lifetime...I have always been chubby, even as a child...but I don't eat anymore than any thin person....as a matter of fact....I was told that I don't eat enough (I usually eat only 1-2 meals a day because i get sick when I eat sometimes).

Erin, have you spoken to you Dr about getting sick when you eat?  It could have something to do with a food allergy or intolerance.

It's true about not eating enough, though.  If you don't eat enough calories in a day, your body goes into starvation mode, and you don't lose weight, even if you're trying.  My sister-in-law has this problem.  She's tall, big boned, and moderately overweight.  I don't think she looks bad, but she is so obsessive about it, that she exercises, but doesn't eat enough to compensate for that, so she doesn't lose weight.  I, myself, need to lose about 40 pounds.  I am on Weight Watchers, and it's been hard to get motivated.  I know I can do it, though.  I was on WW 2 years ago and lost about 30 pounds, then got pregnant.  After I had the baby, I lost it all again, but it has slowly crept back up since last summer.

Written By: cancemini2real on 05/29/05 at 8:37 pm

Erin, have you spoken to you Dr about getting sick when you eat?  It could have something to do with a food allergy or intolerance.

It's true about not eating enough, though.  If you don't eat enough calories in a day, your body goes into starvation mode, and you don't lose weight, even if you're trying.  My sister-in-law has this problem.  She's tall, big boned, and moderately overweight.  I don't think she looks bad, but she is so obsessive about it, that she exercises, but doesn't eat enough to compensate for that, so she doesn't lose weight.  I, myself, need to lose about 40 pounds.  I am on Weight Watchers, and it's been hard to get motivated.  I know I can do it, though.  I was on WW 2 years ago and lost about 30 pounds, then got pregnant.  After I had the baby, I lost it all again, but it has slowly crept back up since last summer.
You are right about the more you eat, the better your chances of losing weight. I've been stressing this fact to my clients (I work as a weight loss consultant for 4 years),every single day. I've been through so many battles of losing weight, since puberty. I've been "yo-yo" dieting since then, it's very hard to change into a healthier lifestyle,especially when you don't have the support that you really need! And yet, No pill in a bottle is going to save the day! NO diet plan is easy, whether you're on the Weight Watchers plan, Jenny Craig, Atkins, South Beach...etc. If you really want to see results, you'll do it no matter the pressure and redicule you'll endure.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/05 at 2:19 am

How is it, that I visit every gym and at least 5 of these gyms has at least 1 or 2 overweight male personal trainers and staff members and not 1 female personal trainer or staff members?!! Excluding the members! >:(

'Cuz it's everything for chicks to look *hot.*  I mean, a beer gut's OK on a dude, but if a chick gets just one roll hanging over the beltline, and it's all over.  How am I suppose to love a fat chick, like gross dude!
:D

Check for new replies or respond here...