» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Cat hunting in Wisconsin

Written By: Chrisrj on 04/12/05 at 10:32 pm

Wisconsin (& maybe Michigan) recently passed a law making it legal to hunt feral cats, which could include already-adopted cats without collars.
http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/politics/11373951.htm
(2nd article down)

In Washington state, there's a new law that feral cats have to starve, but others here are trying to push the cat-hunting law here.  I have 2 cats at home, and they're family to me, so it basically would be MURDER to me.

Many other people, my parents included, say that neutering/spaying would be a better choice.  This is me though, so you know probly know which one I chose.

I have one cat who refuses to wear his collar for very long.  And we can't keep them jailed up inside the house all night, or all day.  They start screaming and going crazy. 

(sorry for the misprint.  I was going to type Wisc. but ended up Mich. for some reason)

Subject: Re: Cat hunting in Michigan

Written By: GWBush2004 on 04/12/05 at 11:40 pm

They're doing the same thing in the state of Wisconsin.  The cats get wild and start killing rare game birds, robbing hunters.

If the cat is on my property, killing wild game, with no owners, out in rural states like Wisconsin, by all means shoot the dang thing.

Subject: Re: Cat hunting in Wisconsin

Written By: Chrisrj on 04/13/05 at 2:26 am

How about NOT hunting?  Like Bugs says, "there's other sports besides hunting, ya know!"

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/13/05 at 3:03 am

Does this mean domesticated (well, killing any cat is wrong)... cause if it does, then thats just WRONG!  >:(

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/13/05 at 3:41 am

They're doing the same thing in the state of Wisconsin. The cats get wild and start killing rare game birds, robbing hunters.

If the cat is on my property, killing wild game, with no owners, out in rural states like Wisconsin, by all means shoot the dang thing.

Yeah! Shoot the homeless as well! Decrease the surplus population! >:(

Written By: GWBush2004 on 04/13/05 at 3:06 pm

Does this mean domesticated (well, killing any cat is wrong)... cause if it does, then thats just WRONG!  >:(

Feral cats are FORMER domestic cats who have gone wild.

Yeah! Shoot the homeless as well! Decrease the surplus population!

I know you know the difference between people and cats.  Everyone does, except the people of the city of San Francisco, California who, at last check, are the only place in America that don't have laws that say dog owner or master, rather "dog guardian."

Subject: Re: Cat hunting in Michigan

Written By: Marian on 04/13/05 at 3:14 pm

They're doing the same thing in the state of Wisconsin.  The cats get wild and start killing rare game birds, robbing hunters.

Could bums be next?Jeez!

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/13/05 at 3:28 pm

The only Cat I, personally want to "hunt" is sitting right behind me (well, reading over my shoulder and kissing my neck).

Seriously, though, one of our town alderman got into lots of trouble by suggesting that he would shoot, with a bee bee gun, stray cats on his property. 

We have two cats that are strickly inside cats.  Our youngest was a feral cat at birth that we got from the shelter.  No cat NEEDS to go outside unless you are a farmer with a barn and you want her (all cats are "her" regardless of gender) to keep down the mice.  The real problem is with owners who don't neuter their pets and also let them roam free, or decide they don't want/can no longer keep and "set them free (usually a death sentence) instead of spending the few bucks it might cost to put them in a pound, where they at least have a chance of being adopted.  Hunting truely feral cats might just be the most humane solution until pet ownerrs become more responsible.

I know you know the difference between people and cats. Everyone does, except the people of the city of San Francisco, California who, at last check, are the only place in America that don't have laws that say dog owner or master, rather "dog guardian."

What's wrong with "dog (or cat) guardians"?  If we were to take a foster child into our home we would be that person's guardian.  Why is it different when we bring an animal into our home?  We are taking on a lesser, but similar responsibility for a living creature. 

Could bums be next?Jeez!

If homelessness is the criteria, I guess they could.  Hopefully we're a loooong way from that.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/13/05 at 3:31 pm

cats and dogs should be spayed or neutered so we wouldn't have to resort to drastic measures like shooting them.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/13/05 at 3:36 pm

Feral cats are FORMER domestic cats who have gone wild.

I know you know the difference between people and cats. Everyone does, except the people of the city of San Francisco, California who, at last check, are the only place in America that don't have laws that say dog owner or master, rather "dog guardian."

I feel sad after reading such a statement.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/13/05 at 3:47 pm

I feel sad after reading such a statement.

It is sad that some pet owners are so irresponsible.  I assume that no one on the board would release a domestic aminal into the wild to fend for itself.

Written By: Marian on 04/14/05 at 2:13 pm

It is sad that some pet owners are so irresponsible.  I assume that no one on the board would release a domestic aminal into the wild to fend for itself.
I agree.I m ean,if a homeless cat came to my yard I would let it be there,but unfiortunately bnot all animals released are cats.There are probably more pit bulls and dogs like that released than you realize--that's scary!

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/14/05 at 3:27 pm

I agree.I m ean,if a homeless cat came to my yard I would let it be there,but unfiortunately bnot all animals released are cats.There are probably more pit bulls and dogs like that released than you realize--that's scary!

There is a debate in Vermont as to whether we have coyoties or "coydogs" attacking the deer heard, and we have an open season on coyoties.  Pit bulls in the wild IS  scary.  We enjoy hiking in the forrests, and would prefer not to be attacked by feral pit bulls.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/14/05 at 5:27 pm

I'm against cat-hunting because there are too many cat-haters out there.  You know, the kind of neighbor who gets hopping mad if your cat walks over his car.  Those are the type of guys who would shoot YOUR cat and say, "Sorry, thought it was a feral one."  In order to distinguish feral from domestic, they would have to initiate a cat licensing program, which reminds me of one of my favorite Monty Python sketches, "The Fish License."
There are strays and ferals everywhere.  Parts of Wisconsin mayhave a particularly bad problem, but come on, it doesn't really constitute a serious threat to public health?  I think people should be allowed to humanely capture ferals and deliver them to the Humane Society. 
There aren't enough homes for them all.  Neuter or spay, do it today!

In Florida, when they legalized alligator hunting, but with the stipulation that a hunter must capture the 'gator before killing it.  I thought this was a smart idea in order to prevent the bubba rednecks from going out in the swamps with a case of Coors and taking pot-shots.

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/14/05 at 8:09 pm

I'm one of the few pro-lifers that are also tree-hugging, nature loving "wackos". I am not a fan of PETA, but I do not condone killing anything other than insects and germs. I couldn't even kill a pet to save my life.

Written By: Mushroom on 04/15/05 at 5:29 pm

I wonder how many in here have truely seen a feral cat, or have any idea how much damage they can cause.

My first duty station when I was in the Marines was at the Seal beach Naval Weapons Station, in California.  This base is unusual, because it is mostly composed of a saltwater marsh, and is also the site of the Seal Beach National Wildlife Refuge.

Just some of the animals that live there are East Coast Red Foxes (not native to California, but leftovers from a 1930's-1950's fur farm), Possoms, Skunks, rabbits, badgers, geese, ducks, bobcat, coyotes, and is a major stop for migratory waterfowl (like Canadian Geese).  We also had a huge problem with feral cats.

A feral cat is NOT cute and cuddly.  They are vicious, mean, and will eat anything.  Even if taken from their mother after weaning, a cat will always be feral.  They can not be adopted, and can only be destroyed.

We had major problems because of the damage these cats did to the waterfowl.  A lot of these birds were threatened and endangered.  Now if the choice is to see nests and endengered birds killed, or to kill a few score wild cats, I will kill the cats every time.

Like was said before, it is the fault of irresponsible pet owners.  Either not fixing them, or abandoning them.  But it is not right to let nature suffer because of stupid humans.  This is a way to try and fix that.

And it only allipes to feral cats.  So don't worry, fluffy is still safe.

Check for new replies or respond here...