» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Anti-gay marriage senator hiding in the bushes at gay rally

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/14/05 at 9:26 am

http://paradiseiswhereiam.blogspot.com/2005/04/lobby-day-2005.html

Not sure what to make of this.  Is she afraid the gay will rub off on her, or is she afraid of having to face off with the people she's trying to use as political currency? 

Minnesota voted against the bill she proposed.

Subject: Re: Anti-gay marriage senator hiding in the bushes at gay rally

Written By: GWBush2004 on 04/14/05 at 2:00 pm

Speaking on gay people....also in today's news: http://www.oregonlive.com/newslogs/oregonian/index.ssf?/mtlogs/olive_oregonian_news/archives/2005_04.html#057455

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/14/05 at 2:44 pm

Speaking on gay people....also in today's news: http://www.oregonlive.com/newslogs/oregonian/index.ssf?/mtlogs/olive_oregonian_news/archives/2005_04.html#057455

Answer this question: Do you even know what the 14th ammendment is?

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/14/05 at 2:45 pm

Oh, and you will lose in time. We always win out eventually. Your type could not hold back desegregation forever, and you won't hold this back.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 04/14/05 at 2:57 pm

Oh, and you will lose in time. We always win out eventually. Your type could not hold back desegregation forever, and you won't hold this back.

Yeah sure.  Believe what you want.  The facts aren't there, people are moving more opposed to same-sex "marriage."  Hell, the federal government even refuses to give gay couples in Massachusetts any extra benefits on their tax returns, they refuse to reconize their "marriage."

Answer this question: Do you even know what the 14th ammendment is?

Yes I do.  And it's obvious that I and the Oregon state supreme court, and the California state supreme court, and the Georgia state supreme court, and even the US Supreme court (6 are against gay "marriage" on the US Supreme Court, only 3 are for it.)  So with all these courts ruling that not only 4% of the population to change the definition of marriage don't you think maybe it DOESN'T violate the 14th amendment.  Maybe the people back then weren't even thinking of gay "marriage" at the time they wrote it.

The ONLY court that has said the 14th amendment allows gay "marriage" is the Massachusetts state supreme court, by a 4-3 vote, with the governor opposesing, and with the only gay person on the Massachusetts supreme court ruling that gay "marriage" WASN'T a constitutional right.  But she was overuled by four judges who don't give a dam* about law.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/14/05 at 3:15 pm

Yeah sure. Believe what you want. The facts aren't there, people are moving more opposed to same-sex "marriage." Hell, the federal government even refuses to give gay couples in Massachusetts any extra benefits on their tax returns, they refuse to reconize their "marriage."

Yes I do. And it's obvious that I and the Oregon state supreme court, and the California state supreme court, and the Georgia state supreme court, and even the US Supreme court (6 are against gay "marriage" on the US Supreme Court, only 3 are for it.) So with all these courts ruling that not only 4% of the population to change the definition of marriage don't you think maybe it DOESN'T violate the 14th amendment. Maybe the people back then weren't even thinking of gay "marriage" at the time they wrote it.

The ONLY court that has said the 14th amendment allows gay "marriage" is the Massachusetts state supreme court, by a 4-3 vote, with the governor opposesing, and with the only gay person on the Massachusetts supreme court ruling that gay "marriage" WASN'T a constitutional right. But she was overuled by four judges who don't give a dam* about law.

Well you are all WRONG too. The 14th ammendment insures equal protection under the law, equal rights. If gay couples aren't afforded the same benefits as heterosexual couples, than the law is discriminatory, and that is a direct violation of the 14th ammendment.

Please tell me, why do you want to keep OTHER PEOPLE from getting married? It is their business. It seems a lot more anti-marriage to not allow gay couples to marry. You are PREVENTING people from marrying. It defies any logic.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/14/05 at 3:19 pm

On the other hand, Connecticut's state assembly just passed a civil unions law.  Look, both Cat and I are happily heterosexual, and so neither of us have any trouble with gay unions, regardless of how they are defined in law.  There are lots of studies suggesting that at least 1 in 10 people are homesexual.Why should they be denied the sameCIVIC benefits afforded to straights?  Why should their sexuality be a CIVIC concern?  I have said this before, but I'll say it again, KEEP YOUR RELIGION OUT OF OUR LAWS.  If you believe homesexuality is a sin, than don't practice it, but don't impose your religious beliefs on the rest of us, who may believe differently than you.  The strength of our democracy (such as it is) rests in its secular, non-judgemental orientation.  Once we start enacting the morality of specific denominations into law our democracy will become a theocracy, like Ian, or worse, like Afganistan under the Taliban.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/14/05 at 5:43 pm

The "Bushes" are a great place for homophobes to hide!
:D
And I agree, Don Carlos, the basic impertive bears repeating:
KEEP YOUR RELIGION OFF OUR LAWS!!!

Written By: Everlong on 04/15/05 at 8:54 pm

Hopefully in the decades to come we can look back on this time and wonder why people were so intolerant on this issue- I'm sure homosexuals will gain their rights eventually.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/16/05 at 6:01 pm

Maybe the people back then weren't even thinking of gay "marriage" at the time they wrote it.

They did think about "interracial" relationships though and made sure it was made illegal, in some
cases right up until the 70's.  I am sure there are many who are still chewing there cuds about that
one, too.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/16/05 at 8:37 pm

They did think about "interracial" relationships though and made sure it was made illegal, in some
cases right up until the 70's.  I am sure there are many who are still chewing there cuds about that
one, too.

The oppenants of so-called "miscegenation" made similar moralist arguments against "mixed marriages" to the ones they now make against gay marriage.  They did so with all the same vim and vigor, and used it as a political football for decades.  They would have had you believe if we allowed different "races," (particularly "black" and "white," think especially of--gasp--black men marrying white women) to marry, Western Civilization would got to h*ll in a handbasket.

Let's NOT take their word for it on gay marriage either!

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/17/05 at 2:03 pm

You can't keep religion completely out of the law.  Most law is rooted in religious principles.

That said, the law should not be constructed in favor of any particular religion...

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/17/05 at 2:05 pm

You can't keep religion completely out of the law. Most law is rooted in religious principles.

That said, the law should not be constructed in favor of any particular religion...

The first code of laws was the code of Hammurabi(sp?), which was not a religious set of laws. And our law system is based on ENGLISH COMMON LAW, which has it's roots in the tribal laws of the pre-Christian Anglo-Saxons.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/17/05 at 2:09 pm

You can't keep religion completely out of the law.  Most law is rooted in religious principles.

Most religious principles are rooted in controlling the masses and managing rigidly class-based societies.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/17/05 at 3:40 pm

While I am sure that some homophobes "hate the sin" my guess is that there are a vast majority of others who question (secretly) their sexuality, and find this or that guy or chick sinfully attractive.  Too bad that they haven't the "cojones" to own thewir own sexuality.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/18/05 at 3:55 pm

Perhaps if we talked of Ethics instead of Religion we'd be in better shape.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/18/05 at 7:41 pm

Most religious principles are rooted in controlling the masses and managing rigidly class-based societies.

Interestingly, so are most political processes.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/18/05 at 10:21 pm

Interestingly, so are most political processes.

Beware of politicians and preachers, and try not to let the two get mixed up!
:o

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/19/05 at 1:43 pm

Perhaps if we talked of Ethics instead of Religion we'd be in better shape.

ethics?  This is the Republican party leading the charge on the issue of gays.  The party of Tom DeLay who gives his wife and daughter half million dollar jobs paid for by his political action comittees.  The same Tom DeLay who fires anyone who tries to impose ethics and rewrites the laws concerning Senate ethics to make sure they can't touch him.  The gay marriage thing is a great distraction from all that stuff.

Unless of course you believe Tom DeLay when he claims it's all a liberal conspiracy.

Check for new replies or respond here...