» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: More New York fraud

Written By: Mushroom on 04/16/05 at 10:16 am

It seems there is yet another scandal from New York.

This one revolvs around what is basically in Internation Conglomerate, headquartered in New York.  The one of the projects of this Conglomerate ran is a charity that sold raw materials from a Third World country and was supposed to use the profits to fund humanitarian relief.

But the Son of the CEO was one of hundreds that used this to line his own pockets.  This young man was part of the "Jet Set".  Educated in England and Europe in private schools, a hopefull professional athlete, one of his friends growing up was the son of the Saudi Oil Minister.  He got a job through his father at another International conglomerate.  In fact, this Conglomerate is one of the companies involved in the charity that is under investigation.

Now the CEO and his Son are under investigation, and several criminal indictments have been filed.  Should the CEO have to resign?  And should he face criminal charges?

Subject: Re: More New York fraud

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/16/05 at 11:23 am

Absolutely he should.

I wish we'd take white collar crime even half as seriously as we do drug crime. I mean, heck, the average convicted drug offender spends MORE time in prison than the average convicted sexual offender. That is pretty sad.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/16/05 at 3:16 pm

Absolutely he should.

I wish we'd take white collar crime even half as seriously as we do drug crime. I mean, heck, the average convicted drug offender spends MORE time in prison than the average convicted sexual offender. That is pretty sad.

You ever seen American History X?

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/16/05 at 3:17 pm

No, what is it about?

Written By: danootaandme on 04/16/05 at 3:37 pm

I've seen it...good movie.  Says some things a lot of people really don't want to hear about justice,
bigotry( benign and in your face).

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/18/05 at 4:25 pm

White collar criminals, like the yet unindited Ken Lay, should spent LOOOONG years at hard time, instead of at the federal "country clubs" in which they are confined.  Clearly, violent criminals do much damage to INDIVIDUALS, but these white collar criminals decimates huge numbers of people. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/18/05 at 10:48 pm

White collar criminals, like the yet unindited Ken Lay, should spent LOOOONG years at hard time, instead of at the federal "country clubs" in which they are confined.  Clearly, violent criminals do much damage to INDIVIDUALS, but these white collar criminals decimates huge numbers of people. 

Absolutely, and as Ralph Nader says, most of the "crimes" perpetrated by corporations perfectly legal, and not crimes at all.  I don't know which "conglomerate" Mush is talking about, but I'd throw those crooked executives in the same cooler with Tom DeLay!
>:(

Written By: Mushroom on 04/19/05 at 8:50 am

I am so glad to find so many in here that agree with me!

I forgot one thing though, I gotgot to say the names of the people involved, and the name of the organization.

The CEO under fire is Kofi Annan.  The wanna-be professional Rugby player and jetset youth is Kojo Annan.

And of course, the organization is the UN.

Now, how many still feel justice still needs to be done?

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/19/05 at 1:56 pm

I am so glad to find so many in here that agree with me!

I forgot one thing though, I gotgot to say the names of the people involved, and the name of the organization.

The CEO under fire is Kofi Annan.  The wanna-be professional Rugby player and jetset youth is Kojo Annan.

And of course, the organization is the UN.

Now, how many still feel justice still needs to be done?

yup, justice definitely should be done.

how about this case:

A high ranking poltiican uses his re-election campaign funds to pay his wife and daughter a half million dollars, and accepts free travel from companies he writes laws that directly benefit the companies sponsoring the trips.

Should he, at the very least, be investigated by an ethics committe?

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/19/05 at 2:50 pm

No one is immune to bribary or corruption, and all who engage should do hard time.

Check for new replies or respond here...