» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Should Saddam get the death penalty?

Written By: DevoRule on 04/16/05 at 4:53 pm

I'd say Yes, but only to prevent more violence.  I do think Saddam's an a$$hole, but that's not reason to execute someone.

Saddam's very breathing entices more violence in Iraq, and I'd rather see one loser die than thousands of innocents.

Subject: Re: Should Saddam get the death penalty?

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/16/05 at 5:08 pm

No, I'm against the death penalty.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/16/05 at 6:05 pm

is he tried in iraq by iraqi's? then yes, they have the death penalty. if he's tried by the world court then no.

Written By: EthanM on 04/16/05 at 7:15 pm

how do you know that executing saddam wouldn't trigger a terrible wave of violennce much worse than what there is now?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/16/05 at 8:08 pm

No, I'm against the death penalty.

Same here.  Against it for one, against it for all.  Now, I don't want Saddam to get off the hook and go into exhile in some gilded villa like Idi Amin.  I think he should be forced to work on behalf of all the lives he destroyed in his reign of terror.

Saddam is unequivocally an evil sonofab*tch, but he doesn't hold a candle to the Bush family in that designation.  Dubya has declared numerous times that he would rather govern a dictatorship than a democratic republic. 
The Bushes have not resorted to mass torture and riddance of American citizens, but if necessary THEY WILL!  America has always had its thumb on Saddam.  The only American people Saddam was a threat to are the men and women who serve in our armed forces.  Notice it was the American government under the executive direction of the Bushes that sent America's armed forces into harm's way over there.
The Bushes are kingpins in the empire of petroleum.  Saddam by comparison was a small -time thug.  He was just a fierce gangster with the psychopathological prerequsites for tin-horn  dictatorship.  All this was A-OK with the Bushes and the rest of the bloody oil cartel that runs America's godforsaken empire.  It wasn't until Saddam got too big for his britches and quit obeying the boss that Uncle Sam got upset with him.
::)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 04/16/05 at 9:13 pm

Of course he should.  The people of Iraq were just protesting a week or two ago saying Saddam would never be tried and that he'd never get the death penalty.  The people of Iraq obviously want him dead, by all means kill the man.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/17/05 at 2:28 am

No, no and no. (You asked 3 questions... right?)

Killing anyone is improper and inhumane. No matter how bad a person they are.

Written By: the_omega on 04/17/05 at 11:34 am

nope im against the DP

he should be placed in a maximum security correctional facility in the middle of the ocean/desert with no outside contact for the rest of his living days (i wonder if such a place exists)

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/17/05 at 12:08 pm

Saddam is prepard to die to insight further violence..

Saddam is not prepared to lick Jello out of Bubba's A$$ Crack to insight further violence...

Written By: chaka on 04/17/05 at 12:26 pm

If Saddam is sentenced to death well than I suggest that "president" bush should also
get the DP-both of them are a**holes and are a threat to global peace

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/17/05 at 1:54 pm

nope im against the DP

he should be placed in a maximum security correctional facility in the middle of the ocean/desert with no outside contact for the rest of his living days (i wonder if such a place exists)

Ever been to the Oklahoma panhandle?

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/17/05 at 1:59 pm

As I recall, in some ancient societies, a murderer was sentenced by chaining him to the rotting, fetid body of his victim.

That would be appropriate for Sadam Hussein.  8)

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/17/05 at 3:52 pm

Do we kill people to convince people that killing people is wrong?  And if killing people is wreong, how can we ask someone to drop the pill, or pull the switch?  Vengance is MINE sayith the Lord.  If that is true, isn't it blasphomy to take on that responsibility?

Don't get me wrong.  Saddam is a BAD man.  Should we, or should we force someone else in our name, to lower him/her self to that level for retribution?

I have made no bones about being +/- and athiest (although a spititual one - a spiritual athiest?  An oxymoron?), but how do you reconcile all those biblical infunctions with capital punishment?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 04/19/05 at 2:37 am

Iraqi party demands death penalty for Saddam - insisted that Saddam must be executed
The Washington Times
David R. Sands
04/19/05

Iraq's dominant political party yesterday demanded that Saddam Hussein face the death penalty, despite the reservations expressed by new President Jalal Talabani in an interview with The Washington Times over the weekend.

Leading members of the Shi'ite Muslim-led United Iraqi Alliance, which holds 140 seats in the 275-member national parliament, insisted that Saddam must be executed for the crimes committed under his brutal reign.

Ali al-Dabagh, a party spokesman, called Saddam "the No. 1 criminal in the world."

Eliminating the death penalty "is something that cannot be discussed at all," Mr. al-Dabagh told the Associated Press in an interview.

Sheik Hassan Shimmari, another United Iraqi Alliance lawmaker, said the death penalty for Saddam and his senior aides is justified by both Islamic tradition and Iraqi law.

"It is surprising the president should adopt such a position," he told reporters in Baghdad.

In his interview with The Washington Times, Mr. Talabani, an ethnic Kurd, said he was sticking to his long-standing personal opposition to the death penalty worldwide, but conceded that he was in the minority even within the three-member presidential council that he heads.

Iraq's two deputy presidents, Shi'ite Adel Abdul-Mahdi and Sunni Sheik Ghazi Mashal Ajil al-Yawer, both support the death penalty if Saddam is convicted. Many of the president's fellow Kurds, who were the victims of atrocities under Saddam, also favor executing the former dictator.

Mr. Talabani said he would not sign an execution order, if one were given.

"It is for me difficult to sign this ... if the courts will decide , the others can do it. ... It does not mean I said that Saddam must not be executed. It is up to the courts, not to me," he told The Washington Times.

Full story: http://washtimes.com/world/20050419-120221-8093r.htm

Written By: the_omega on 04/19/05 at 11:29 am

Ever been to the Oklahoma panhandle?

never been outta europe  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...