» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: A dozen common myths about Canada

Written By: Mergal on 04/26/05 at 9:06 pm

1. Icebergs are seen floating on the ocean fronts once crossing the Canadian border.

2. All police officers wear red coats with black hats.
      That's only for show

3. Rural Canadians live in igloos.

4. There are lots of gays living in Canada
      Yeah there are..just as there are in the States, the UK....

5.  There's always some snow on the ground except for one chilly summer month.

6.  You can smoke pot at no cost.
        I'm afraid not.

7.  The sun never comes out in the winter.

8.  All Canadians are fluent both in English and French
          While French immersion enrolment is on the increase as well as more French Canadians taking English classes, I'm afraid not all Canadians are yet bilingual including myself  :-We're a multi-cultural nation

11. The capital of Canada is Toronto or Montreal.
          Our capital is Ottawa

12. Canada is made up of states.
          We're made up of provinces.

Subject: Re: A dozen common myths about Canada

Written By: whitewolf on 04/26/05 at 9:11 pm

12 provinces and territories.

Don't ya just laugh when people come to canada in the summer with ski equipment. ;D ;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/26/05 at 9:15 pm

13. Canadas National Product is Ketchup.

Not true, Ketchup makes up only 35% of the Canadian GDP

;D ;D ;D

You know i only jest.

Written By: Mergal on 04/26/05 at 9:31 pm

Not true, Ketc hup makes up only 35% of the Canadian GDP

;D ;D ;D

You know i only jest.

What will happen when that snow doesn't thaw out for that one summer month, and when we end up with no tomatos!? Then we'll be in trouble!!! 

:D

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/26/05 at 9:33 pm

What will happen when that snow doesn't thaw out for that one summer month, and when we end up with no tomatos!? Then we'll be in trouble!!! 

Catsup..Literally.. 'Cat'sup

;D

Written By: McDonald on 04/26/05 at 10:09 pm

14. There are no Conservatives in Canada.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/26/05 at 10:15 pm

1. Icebergs are seen floating on the ocean fronts once crossing the Canadian border.

I have yet to see an iceberg.  ::)

Nope.... we have regular cops here too.

I live in an apartment.

Just like in the States, UK, etc....

Not currently, we here in Southern Ontario, pretty much stop getting snow on the ground, around April, same as in Northern Ontario. As for summers, they can get pretty humid.

Nope, the cops are insistant on arresting anyone who grows or smokes pot.

It does... only a bit later in the morning, we do get sunshine in the winter.

I speak English, I barely passed French in high school.

9.  95% of Canadian men have beards.

Try 57%, I have a scruffy beard myself, when I forget to shave in a couple of days or so.

10. Canadians have very fair complexions.

Nope, we have minorities here too, Canada is a multi-cultural country.

11. The capital of Canada is Toronto or Montreal

It's Ottawa, Toronto is the capital of Ontario and Montreal is a city in Quebec.

Try 10 provinces, 3 territories, and no states.

It's lumber, fish, maple syrup, and other stuff.  Your thinking of Ketchup Potato Chips.  ;D

Written By: MooRocca on 04/26/05 at 10:16 pm

The only one of those I've ever heard, down here,  is the fair-complected one and I heard that from Bob and Doug on SCTV. I rather assumed they were joking, since that was a comedy skit.  These are the ones I hear, down here:

1.  Canadian money is worthless and the paper money even looks likes monopoly money.
2.  Their winters can get colder than ours, but their summer days are longer than ours to make up for it.
3.  The fishing's better up there.
4. ^ Because Canadians don't treat all of their lakes and streams like toxic waste dumps and toilets.
5.  Violent crimes are less common in Canada, than here.
6.  But, "Red Light Districts" are a  more booming industry in Canada, than here.
7.  It's a good place to go if you're dodging the draft, because they won't send you back.
8.  Quebecers (sp?) don't like anybody but Quebecers and they're not all that fond of them, either.
9.  French is spoken in Quebec, but everyone else talks "normal," except for pronouncing "about" wrong.
10. Hockey is to Canada what Baseball is to the U.S.
11. Their national anthem sucks almost as bad as (some say even worse than) ours.
12.  The big Canadian cities have the best club/party/rave scenes on this continent.
13.  Drugs are cheaper up there,  but Mexico is even cheaper and in Mexico you write your own Rx.
14.  Medical care is cheaper up there, but by the time you see a doc, you're either better or dead.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/26/05 at 10:16 pm

There are..... and they are just as annoying as American Conservatives.  ::)

Written By: McDonald on 04/26/05 at 10:23 pm

There are..... and they are just as annoying as American Conservatives.  ::)

You can say that again.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/26/05 at 10:26 pm

1.  Canadian money is worthless and the paper money even looks likes monopoly money.

No, your thinking of Canadian Tire money.  ;D

2.  Their winters can get colder than ours, but their summer days are longer than ours to make up for it.

Pretty much.  ::)

3.  The fishing's better up there.

I wish...

4. ^ Because Canadians don't treat all of their lakes and streams like toxic waste dumps and toilets.

We do.... unfortunatly....  ::)

5.  Violent crimes are less common in Canada, than here.

There is lots of violent crime in some places.

6.  But, "Red Light Districts" are a  more booming industry in Canada, than here.

Wouldn't know off hand.

7.  It's a good place to go if you're dodging the draft, because they won't send you back.

Not recently.

8.  Quebecers (sp?) don't like anybody but Quebecers and they're not all that fond of them, either.

No comment....  ::)

9.  French is spoken in Quebec, but everyone else talks "normal," except for pronouncing "about" wrong.

Never been to Quebec before.

10. Hockey is to Canada what Baseball is to the U.S.

As of the strike, most Canadian probally want to watch Baseball .  ::)

11. Their national anthem sucks almost as bad as (some say even worse than) ours.

I think that Canada has a great anthem.

12.  The big Canadian cities have the best club/party/rave scenes on this continent.

See answer to question 6.

13.  Drugs are cheaper up there,  but Mexico is even cheaper and in Mexico you write your own Rx.

Nope, not by along shot.

14.  Medical care is cheaper up there, but by the time you see a doc, you're either better or dead.

I "love" our health care system.  ::)

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/26/05 at 10:31 pm

I think that Canada has a great anthem.

Isn't it something along the lines of..

CANADA.. CANADA.. YOUR REALLY FREAKIN' GREAT?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/26/05 at 10:32 pm

Isn't it something along the lines of..

CANADA.. CANADA.. YOUR REALLY FREAKIN' GREAT?

;D

Written By: Mergal on 04/26/05 at 10:34 pm

1.  Canadian money is worthless and the paper money even looks likes monopoly money. Somewhat true, and it does look like Monopoly. But it's so fun to look at it!
2.  Their winters can get colder than ours, but their summer days are longer than ours to make up for it. Yes are winters can get bloody cold, and though we have remarkably hot summers, at least where I'm from, they're still shorter then yours.
3.  The fishing's better up there. I guess so but then again I don't fish
4. ^ Because Canadians don't treat all of their lakes and streams like toxic waste dumps and toilets. Because we have less people to pollute the lakes
5.  Violent crimes are less common in Canada, than here. True, but break-ins and robberies are common here.
6.  But, "Red Light Districts" are a  more booming industry in Canada, than here. Never heard of that. You must be thinking about Amsterdam. And what about Nevada and L.A?
7.  It's a good place to go if you're dodging the draft, because they won't send you back. We tend to take in pretty much anybody who comes in.
8.  Quebecers (sp?) don't like anybody but Quebecers and they're not all that fond of them, either. Not all of them, but true about some of them I'm afraid.
9.  French is spoken in Quebec, but everyone else talks "normal," except for pronouncing "about" wrong.  ???
10. Hockey is to Canada what Baseball is to the U.S. I guess so.
11. Their national anthem sucks almost as bad as (some say even worse than) ours. Our anthem is corny, but that makes it fun to sing along too!
12.  The big Canadian cities have the best club/party/rave scenes on this continent. True, we do have lots of clubs, bars, pubs....
13.  Drugs are cheaper up there,  but Mexico is even cheaper and in Mexico you write your own Rx. True.
14.  Medical care is cheaper up there, but by the time you see a doc, you're either better or dead. I'm afraid that's true  :(

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/26/05 at 10:35 pm

A Real Canadian patriot.. he used to sing the Canadian National Anthem before each match.. and it worked.. they used to run away.

http://jon.everperfect.com/wresting/wcw/img/storm(1).jpg

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/26/05 at 10:36 pm

I think the Canadian national anthem is "O Canada". And isn't it true Canada didn't become completely independent of the UK until the 1960s?

And to Andy, what is Britain's national anthem? I've never heard it. Also, do you have a national bird? Or an equivalent to Uncle Sam? What does your money look like?

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/26/05 at 10:39 pm

Our Money is fabulous, very difficult to fake as opposed to the useless bloody Euro (now that Monopoly money). Put Pounds Paper money or something in to a google search.

Our anthem is good save the King/Queen.. i don't know a single person that knows it. My father was in the army (the band) for 8 years, he actually played in front of the queen.. he dosen't know it.

No.. as far as i know we have no National anything.. and if your english, displaying St George's Cross is now seen as partisan, however Scotland, Wales etc display their flags.

National identity has fallen flat on it's face here Alex... we're Euroclones now  ::)

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/26/05 at 10:46 pm

Our Money is fabulous, very difficult to fake as opposed to the useless bloody Euro (now that Monopoly money). Put Pounds Paper money or something in to a google search.

Our anthem is good save the King/Queen.. i don't know a single person that knows it. My father was in the army (the band) for 8 years, he actually played in front of the queen.. he dosen't know it.

No.. as far as i know we have no National anything.. and if your english, displaying St George's Cross is now seen as partisan, however Scotland, Wales etc display their flags.

National identity has fallen flat on it's face here Alex... we're Euroclones now ::)

That is because you were bloody oppressive for so many years, lol. Just kidding. Although, interesting to note, the flag of the U.S. state Alabama is based directly off of the English flag of St.george's cross or whatever. Its just turned kind of diagnol making it look like an x.

Also, linguistically speaking the traditional Southern accent is considered to be much closer to an English accent than a Northern accent. Also, up until the Civil War the Southern U.S. culturally still had a lot more Britishisms. Tea in the afternoons was still a common practice. But it changed during the Re-construction period after Civil war. Part of re-construction wasn't just a re-structure of our government, but it also the culturalization process "yankifying" us or whatever.

Anyway, about "God Save The Queen", I take it the National anthem isn't revered there. Here everyone knows the words to "The Star-Spangled Banner". But you know, that is a really crappy anthem. I wouldn't feel much national pride either if a lot of our national symbalry was based around the stupid money-sucking monarchy. Perhaps if a new national anthem was written reflecting the good things about Britain, the country side, the history of the PEOPLE(not the monarchy), Brits would feel a stronger national pride. Especially if the monarchy were completely scrapped.

Just my thoughts. ;)

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/26/05 at 10:51 pm

That is because you were bloody oppressive for so many years, lol. Just kidding. Although, interesting to note, the flag of the U.S. state Alabama is based directly off of the English flag of St.george's cross or whatever. Its just turned kind of diagnol making it look like an x.

Also, linguistically speaking the traditional Southern accent is considered to be much closer to an English accent than a Northern accent. Also, up until the Civil War the Southern U.S. culturally still had a lot more Britishisms. Tea in the afternoons was still a common practice. But it changed during the Re-construction period after Civil war. Part of re-construction wasn't just a re-structure of our government, but it also the culturalization process "yankifying" us or whatever.

Anyway, about "God Save The Queen", I take it the National anthem isn't revered there. Here everyone knows the words to "The Star-Spangled Banner". But you know, that is a really crappy anthem. I wouldn't feel much national pride either if a lot of our national symbalry was based around the stupid money-sucking monarchy. Perhaps if a new national anthem was written reflecting the good things about Britain, the country side, the history of the PEOPLE(not the monarchy), Brits would feel a stronger national pride. Especially if the monarchy were completely scrapped.

Just my thoughts. ;)

'God Save The Queen.. The Facist Regime'

You echo my thoughts there Alex

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/26/05 at 10:52 pm

Is 215 years too late for a little French revolution action? ;)

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/26/05 at 10:57 pm

Is 215 years too late for a little French revolution action? ;)

La Resistance Lives On

Written By: Satish on 04/27/05 at 12:42 am

Actually, it isn't rare to see an ice berg in the St. Lawrence seaway during the summer.

Written By: Satish on 04/27/05 at 12:59 am

Actually, I don't think Britain has an official national anthem, in that there's never been an official government act to make any one song the national anthem.

I agree that God Save the Queen isn't all that special, but Britain does have much more stirring patriotic songs. "Rule Britannia", for instance, is super.

Written By: Satish on 04/27/05 at 1:09 am

And isn't it true Canada didn't become completely independent of the UK until the 1960s?

The British parliament had authority in Canada well into the 20th century. It wasn't until the early 1980s that Canada became completely independent of it.

Written By: Mergal on 04/27/05 at 6:24 am

Actually, it isn't rare to see an ice berg in the St. Lawrence seaway during the summer.

My grandmother lives in Brockville, which is a tiny city on the St.Lawrence about an hour east of Kingston, and I've yet to see an iceberg in the summer there. I'm not sure which area of the St.Lawrence you'd be referring to because the river ends around Quebec and New Brunswick, which isn't very north at all. I can see the territories and parts of Newfoundland spotting some icebergs in their waters.

Written By: Paul on 04/27/05 at 7:10 am

what is Britain's national anthem? I've never heard it.

You're not missing much, pal...

In its earliest days, 'GSTQ/K' could run into a multitude of verses to suit the occasion, i.e., going to war/sticking flags into various bits of land, etc., and could, at times, last all bloody night...!

It eventually got truncated into three verses...two of which no-one can even begin to remember...

In days of yore, the thing was played without fail in cinemas (after the films) and daily on radio & TV as the stations were closing down...

That never happens now, and you're only likely to hear it on state visits or in the unlikely event of us winning a gold medal in the Olympics...

Myself, I'd rather have Elgar's 'Pomp & Circumstance March #1' as the anthem...(that's 'Land Of Hope And Glory', to you...!!)

Also, do you have a national bird?

No birds AFAIK, but the bulldog is supposed to epitomise the English/British spirit...the national flower is the rose...

Written By: whitewolf on 04/27/05 at 7:37 am

National identity has fallen flat on it's face here Alex... we're Euroclones now  ::)

Actually I remember it, and I'm Canadian, we used to have to sing it at school every morning along with O Canada

God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us;
God save the Queen!

O Lord our God arise,
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall;
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
Oh, save us all!

Thy choicest gifts in store
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign;
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the Queen!

Not in this land alone,
But be God's mercies known,
From shore to shore!
Lord make the nations see,
That men should brothers be,
And form one family,
The wide world over.

From every latent foe,
From the assassin's blow,
God save the Queen!
O'er her thine arm extend,
For Britain's sake defend,
Our mother, prince, and friend,
God save the Queen!

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/27/05 at 7:45 am

Ah but you didn't sing the verse about beating up the Scots (the only interesting bit of the song)

Something to do with devious enemy's but us being far smarter and pretty much whoomping them.

Written By: karen on 04/27/05 at 8:04 am

God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us;
God save the Queen!

Long may she reign;
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
God save the Queen!

These are the two verses I know and have sung.

O Lord our God arise,
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall;
Confound their politics,
Oh, save us all!

thought this was the Scots bashing verse?

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/27/05 at 10:48 am

thought this was the Scots bashing verse?

Bah.. could have been. I thought it mentioned there stupidity or something, maybe not.

Look how they know the anthem better in Canada than we do here.

I refuse to sing a song whilst lieing at the same time.. I actually wish bad things upon the Royals.. not to bloody save em  ;D

I know the first two verses of the Star Spangled Banner.... and usually sing (or at least) mouth along at the baseball.

Plus i stand when it's played just to annoy people here  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/27/05 at 9:35 pm

Back in 1973, me and some buddies canoed the Missinabi River System from Wawa to Moose Factory, Ontario.

Before we went, we were told that Canadian girls never wore bras and never shaved their arm pits.  :P

Turned out to be a myth.

Written By: Miss Tainted on 04/27/05 at 10:16 pm

I always hear that Canadians hate Americans more than anything and that they are all a bunch of extreme liberals. I believe it for the most part because I've talked to different people from Canada before and all they try to do is start fights with me about George W. Bush and stuff, it really ticks me off.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/27/05 at 10:18 pm

I always hear that Canadians hate Americans more than anything and that they are all a bunch of extreme liberals. I believe it for the most part because I've talked to different people from Canada before and all they try to do is start fights with me about George W. Bush and stuff, it really ticks me off.

See, you've been misled. Canada isn't made up of extreme liberals. Our politics just happen to be dominated by right-wing extremists. The Republican Party in every other country in the Western world would be considered far Right, while the Democrats would be considered moderate Right-wingers, not liberal.

Written By: Miss Tainted on 04/27/05 at 10:23 pm

See, you've been misled. Canada isn't made up of extreme liberals. Our politics just happen to be dominated by right-wing extremists. The Republican Party in every other country in the Western world would be considered far Right, while the Democrats would be considered moderate Right-wingers, not liberal.

That's stupid...

Written By: Everlong on 04/27/05 at 11:43 pm

Does anyone else have the problem of pronouncing Canada Canadia?  Ever since I did that while reading out loud in class a few months ago, I haven't been able to think or say anything else besides Canadia.  It's like I have a chip in my head.  But I think that's a pretty cool name :).

Written By: Mergal on 04/28/05 at 6:27 am

Actually I remember it, and I'm Canadian, we used to have to sing it at school every morning along with O Canada

God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us;
God save the Queen!

O Lord our God arise,
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall;
Confound their politics,
Oh, save us all!

Long may she reign;
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
God save the Queen!

Not in this land alone,
But be God's mercies known,
From shore to shore!
Lord make the nations see,
That men should brothers be,
And form one family,
The wide world over.

From every latent foe,
From the assassin's blow,
God save the Queen!
O'er her thine arm extend,
For Britain's sake defend,
Our mother, prince, and friend,
God save the Queen!

Yeah, I remember singing that during my early years of elementary school! BTW, couldn't the U.K bird be the pigeon?

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/28/05 at 3:56 pm

That's stupid...

No, its true. The Democratic Party is NOT left wing. It is moderately conservative. Our political labels in the U.S. are warped to fit an overall more conservative worldview. What we see as "liberal" here is pretty routine, and even a bit conservative, in basically every other Western nation.

Here, to support Universal Healthcare makes you a "left-wing extremist" but in Canada the CONSERVATIVE PARTY doesn't oppose their universal healthcare system. Yet the majority of the Democratic Party in this nation does not support Universal healthcare. So the Democrats in this nation OVERALL are MORE CONSERVATIVE than Canada's conservative party. Its nuts.

Written By: McDonald on 04/28/05 at 4:12 pm

Yeah, I remember singing that during my early years of elementary school! BTW, couldn't the U.K bird be the pigeon?

When I was going to elementary school in upstate NY, we had to sing "My Country 'Tis of Thee" every morning, which as it happens, is sung to the exact same tune as "God Save the Queen."

I also know "O' Canada" in both official languages. I try to be a good Canadian citizen, even when I'm in America as an American citizen. I don't know "GSTQ," and frankly it's a bit too long for me to want to memorise. I do support the Crown in Canada, but only for constitutional reasons. I think the Monarch is useful for purposes of maintaining sovereignty (i.e. keeping Canada from becoming state #51), and also as the keeper of those emergency powers (which would be needed in case, say, the Canadian people didn't want to go to war in Iraq, but the PM was sending forces anyway... the Governer General could put a stop to it on behalf of the Queen and will of the people). Such a case is unlikely ever to happen, but we have to keep as many checks and balances as we can.

Written By: Satish on 05/05/05 at 2:15 pm

Ah but you didn't sing the verse about beating up the Scots (the only interesting bit of the song)

Something to do with devious enemy's but us being far smarter and pretty much whoomping them.

If you're wondering about the verse of "God Save the King/Queen" that has to do with crushing the Scots, here it is:

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the King!

The whole song can be found here:
http://ingeb.org/songs/godsaveo.html

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/05/05 at 8:52 pm

A lot of your meteorological and geological stereotypes come from the far north where there was plenty of trapping, mining, drilling, and exploring, but few Canadians actually live there.  Is it a myth that 90% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the U.S. boarder?  I know it's a high percentage, but I have my doubts about 9 out 10.

People from the main island of Nova Scotian have seen icebergs and the occasional stray polar bear, but Nova Scotia does stick out pretty far into the Atlantic.

That's only for show

Huh?  I saw "Canuck Cops" and all the officers were dressed like nutcrackers as they chased down thieves and dope pushers!
;)

Again, you're talking indigenous cultures of the Arctic north.  An igloo is a labor intensive, but very effective shelter.  However, your average Inuit is more likely to live in some crummy housing development!

Yeah there are..just as there are in the States, the UK....

Why would this be a myth? 

The real deal with climate is less north versus south than maritime versus continental climates.  While it can get down to -30 degrees sustained temperatures in a Saskatoon winter, the northern prairie summer can produce sustained temperatures of + 30 degrees Celsius.

I'm afraid not.

Call me when it's scot free, 'coz I'm-a-migrating!
;)

Again, this is only in the far north where very few people live.

While French immersion enrolment is on the increase as well as more French Canadians taking English classes, I'm afraid not all Canadians are yet bilingual including myself 

I never thought so, but I wouldn't want to live in Quebec (or even NB) without at least enough French to ask directions or order from a menu.

9.  95% of Canadian men have beards.
Huh?  Never heard of a prevalence of beards in Canada.  Now, I've met some French-Canadian ladies who have beards, but I'm not sure the overall percentage!

10. Canadians have very fair complexions.

That's because the sun never comes out.  Even the Toronto Rastafarians are a distinct alabaster hue!

11. The capital of Canada is Toronto or Montreal.
           Our capital is Ottawa

I don't know about elsewhere, but American kids don't spend enough time looking at maps!

We're made up of provinces.

Never met anyone who referred to Canadian provinces as "states," but it wouldn't surprise me.  I wonder how many Americans know where Nunavut is.

Check for new replies or respond here...