» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Myths(?) about my southern neighbors

Written By: Mergal on 04/26/05 at 9:59 pm

Here are my assumptions about my neighbors, the Americans. If I'm wrong, just slap me and correct me! I could probably learn a few things.

1. Americans love pie.

2. Most Americans despise G.W Bush.
    Personally he doesn't come across as the most competent President

3. Americans are wealthy

4. Americans don't know geography.
    I'm sorry, but some Americans think Alaska is part of Canada

5. Americans have a good knowledge of history.

6. Americans have post-secondary education.

7. Americans are ambitious.

8. Adultery is a common problem.

9. Americans come from close-knitted families.

10. Other than family, Americans don't need close attachments.

11. The American economy is usually booming, and unemployment is very low.

12. Americans are gun happy

13. There's a lot of racism.

14. A large majority of Americans can communicate in Spanish.

15. Killer bees exist in the States.

16. The eagle is a very common bird.

17. Baseball is a huge sport.

18. Every highschool must have a football team and cheerleader squad.

Subject: Re: Myths(?) about my southern neighbors

Written By: McDonald on 04/26/05 at 10:21 pm

1. Pie is good food, and don't pretend like you don't like it either... :P

2.Most don't despise him, only about half.

3.The majority of Americans are made to think they are wealthier than they actually are. Poverty is a big problem in America.

4. That's a broad generalisation. I'm excellent in geography (then again, I'm half Canuck).

5.I do have a good knowledge of history, but if you ever watch "Street Smarts" you'll eat those words.

6. I'm in pursuit of a post-secondary degree. But not everyone here is.

7. Some of us.

8. It's common, but I wouldn't say "problem." LOL.

9. That's pretty iffy.

10. Americans are humans and like everyone else, they need some lovin'.

11. Meh.

12. Most Americans don't own guns (at least I don't think so). But a lot of Americans are indeed gun nuts.

13. There is, sadly.

14. Most people know some swear words and how to say "hello" and "thank you."

15. They did at one point but I don't know if they still do.

16. It's an endangered species.

17. Baseball's popularity has waned significantly, despite what some people would like to believe. Football and Basketball are the big sports down here, then baseball, then hockey.

18. This is true. Especially in the South and the Midwest. Most towns in those areas live for high school football.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/26/05 at 10:25 pm

1. I DO love pie. My favorites are Key lime and coconut creme.

2. I thought it was stereotyped we love him, because, you know, we re-elected him. Anyway, I despise him.

3. I'm not wealthy, though I aspire to be.

4. Well thats pretty much true, but not in my case. I can name almost every capital in Europe. Most Americans can't name the capitals of most of our states.

5. WHAT??? Are you NUTS?? While I do, most of us are HORRIBLE when it comes to history.

6. Post-secondary? As in college? I would have thought the stereotype to have been that we DON'T. Because, you know, its so private.I have known more people without it than have it, and I will be the first in my family to get it.

7. I am! I want a big house. You know, 4-5 bedrooms, 3-4 bathrooms, 2 living areas, den, regular dining room, formal dining room, kitchen, utility area, study, hot tub, garden, 4-car garage, YEEEAH lol. I look to make it as a writer one day. But I don't want to become wealthy just to have a big house or send my kids to a nice college, I also want to be really involved as civics as far as, you know, donating to charities and everything.

8. Yeah thats fairly true. I heard the rate might be as high as 50%. Both my mother and father cheated, it broke up their marriage. Well, it helped.

9. REALLY? I thought families tended to be more communal in other western countries. Here there is a historical tendency to get the heck out of your parent's house as soon as possible and get your own place. And its not uncommon for families to be wide-spread all over the country. I am close to my uncle, my father(well kinda), and a couple of my cousins. But for the most part, no.

10. Not sure..I, personally, value my friends very much.

11. It fluctuates..there have been exceptions, like the expansion of the 90s, but for the most part we ebb and flow quite a bit just like other industrial countries.

12. I know a LOT who are. A lot. While I wouldn't say I exactly am hard up for them, there is this one pistol that fancies me. I'd love to own one. A Smith & Wesson .44 Magnum revolver. Gold-plated. Its my dream pistol.

13. Hmm, not really. There is a lot of prejudice in varying forms, not just race. It tends to be a bit more socioeconomic in my opinion. The rich tend to be very weary of the poor. But plain racism, isn't as common as you'd think.

14. Whaaa? Where did you get this? Its about 10-15%. And 98% of them are Hispanic. Very few Anglophones are bi-lingual, although its an increasing trend for us to learn Spanish too. Yo hablo español(I speak Spanish).

15. ;D Have no clue about this..

16. Nah. Pigeons are much more commonly seen.

17. Pffft. A lot of people watch the World Series. Kids tend to be into football or x-treme sports. Little League isn't as big as it used to be, and high school baseball is NOTHING.

18. Oh yeah, Varsity football and cheerleading is just about obligatory. Its extremely, extremely, extremely unusual not to have them. Mine is a rare exception, but we are alternative so there ya go. In my opnion, American High School Football has become a social problem. Thousands of High Schools over fund their football, and give all of their attention to their football. Not only do other sports teams(such as soccer, wrestling, track, basketball etc.) get the shaft, but so do academic activies. Football players are made into stars. Academics? They are NOTHING. And the "kids will be kids" "what can we do? its natural" BS is just that, BS. It is completely the fault of High school administration faculty in this country. They could fix the problem if they were interested in it.

But you see, local businesses do not invest in Chess Club. But they do invest lots of advertising money into football games. Oh well, its just part and parcel of this country's anti-intellectual attitude.

Written By: Mergal on 04/26/05 at 10:43 pm

1. Pie is good food, and don't pretend like you don't like it either...  I like pie too, but then again I had a great-great-great grandparent that was born in the States.

2.Most don't despise him, only about half. Really???  :o

3.The majority of Americans are made to think they are wealthier than they actually are. Poverty is a big problem in America.

4. That's a broad generalisation. I'm excellent in geography (then again, I'm half Canuck).

5.I do have a good knowledge of history, but if you ever watch "Street Smarts" you'll eat those words.

6. I'm in pursuit of a post-secondary degree. But not everyone here is.

7. Some of us.

8. It's common, but I wouldn't say "problem." LOL.

9. That's pretty iffy.

10. Americans are humans and like everyone else, they need some lovin'.

11. Meh.

12. Most Americans don't own guns (at least I don't think so). But a lot of Americans are indeed gun nuts.

13. There is, sadly.

14. Most people know some swear words and how to say "hello" and "thank you."

15. They did at one point but I don't know if they still do.

16. It's an endangered species.
Okay, I feel stupid.

17. Baseball's popularity has waned significantly, despite what some people would like to believe. Football and Basketball are the big sports down here, then baseball, then hockey. Sounds like our hockey.

18. This is true. Especially in the South and the Midwest. Most towns in those areas live for high school football.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 04/26/05 at 11:06 pm

17. Baseball's popularity has waned significantly, despite what some people would like to believe. Football and Basketball are the big sports down here, then baseball, then hockey.

After debating this before I decided to finally look it up.  According to USA Today football is the most popular sport in America, followed by baseball, third is basketball, and fourth is ice hockey.

So you mixed up basketball and baseball.

Written By: MooRocca on 04/26/05 at 11:11 pm

1. Americans love pie.
I guess some do.  I don't know any big pie eaters, though. 

Written By: GWBush2004 on 04/26/05 at 11:18 pm

1. All Americans love pie.  My favorites are apple and key lime.

2. Most Americans don't despise Bush.  He just got reelected, and my guess is not everyone who voted for John Kerry despises him.  My guess is about 30%.  Put down The Globe and Mail and turn off the CBC.

3.  I have no idea.  America is the richest nation, but I still think poverty is a problem.

4.  No idea.

5.  I agree with that statement.

6. No idea again.

7. Yes.

8. Is is a real problem.

9. Yes.

10. Yes.

11. Pretty much.

12. 35% of Americans own guns.  The average gun owner owns about 7 guns, and there are 1.7 guns per person in America.

13. Racism is pretty much dead.  The new bigots are those carpetbaggers from the northeastern part of the United States who come down south and complain about southern foods like red velvet cake, chicken and dumplings, and corndogs; and want to cover up stone mountain.

14. Only about 10% of Americans speak Spanish.

15. I don't think so.

16. Well McDonald was wrong, the bald eagle is currently a threatened species.  Still not common in any way.

17. #2 here in America.

18. Welcome to the southern states!  Highschool football is huge in states like Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, and especially Texas.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/26/05 at 11:25 pm

13. Racism is dead.  The new bigots are those carpetbaggers from the northeastern part of the United States who come down south and complain about southern foods like red velvet cake, chicken and dumplings, and corndogs; and want to cover up stone mountain.

18. Welcome to the southern states! Highschool football is huge in states like Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, and especially Texas.

Racism isn't dead. I can attest its alive from personal experiences around here. But its not as big a problem as socioeconomic discrimination. And I wasn't particularly aware of northern folks moving down here doing things like that..This area has a LOT of people from up north, but they don't seem to despise everything about southern culture and want to destroy it. They have changed the culture a little bit, sure. Not a lot though. I think they assimilate more to us overall than we do them.

And as for the football, yeah, thats true. At the expense of IMPORTANT activities like actual academics. Schools who can barely get the funds for basic materials still throw away money on their stupid football programs. Why? Like I said, no other school activities pull in money from local businesses like football. And you know what? If our piece of s*** state governments down here in the good ol' south would actually fund education like they were supposed to, perhaps I'd trust the state governments more.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/26/05 at 11:27 pm

1. American Pie by Don McClean.  I'd say sense there are so many different flavors of pie, that the majority of people here would like some type of it.

2. I happen to like him. Admire him.

3. Appalachia is where our problems lay.

4. I know Geography pretty well. It depends on who you ask. Some people can't find there own state and others can show you a dot island in the middle of oceaniana.

5. . American history....world history not so much

6.  You have to have a high school education to get a job nowadays, if not a degree.

7. I'd say they are

8. Unfortunately it is

9. Sometimes

10. Disagree

11. yeah....

12. Some of them

13. There's a lot of love too

14. I'd say no.

15. Not that I know of

16. by common you mean?

17. Yes it is

18. I can think of 3 high schools of the top of my head without football programs

Written By: jackas on 04/26/05 at 11:52 pm

1. Americans love pie.  I think pie is good, but to tell you the truth, I really never see anyone eating it.

2. Most Americans despise G.W Bush.  I like ole George! :)  I don't think he's the smartest guy, but I do like him.

3. Americans are wealthy  Some are, a lot are not.

4. Americans don't know geography.  I don't know geography. :-[  I'm guilty, I'm only interested in the U.S.

5. Americans have a good knowledge of history.  I don't like history.  :P

6. Americans have post-secondary education.  This is a newer thing.  When my parents were young it wasn't as important.

7. Americans are ambitious.  Some are, some are not.

8. Adultery is a common problem.  Oohhhh yeah!

9. Americans come from close-knitted families.  Not necessarily true.

10. Other than family, Americans don't need close attachments.  I think this is very true.  We work too much and don't have time for much.

11. The American economy is usually booming, and unemployment is very low.  Probably true compared to a lot of countries.

12. Americans are gun happy  True :-\\

13. There's a lot of racism.  This used to be true.  Actually there is still racism, but it's not half as bad as it used to be.

14. A large majority of Americans can communicate in Spanish.  Not very well, just the basics.  Hi, Bye, what's your name, how much..................

15. Killer bees exist in the States.  Yep

16. The eagle is a very common bird.  I have no idea :-\\

17. Baseball is a huge sport.  It's up there.  To me, football seems bigger.

18. Every highschool must have a football team and cheerleader squad.  Just about. :)

Interesting thread, I enjoyed it. :)

Written By: Everlong on 04/27/05 at 12:13 am

Well, where I live- Southeast Florida- pretty much everyone knows some Spanish.  You can't go to Miami without it!  Most of the billboards there are in Spanish, and I've gone to a fast-food restaraunt down there where they asked me what I wanted in Spanish.

Written By: jackas on 04/27/05 at 12:24 am

Well, where I live- Southeast Florida- pretty much everyone knows some Spanish.  You can't go to Miami without it!  Most of the billboards there are in Spanish, and I've gone to a fast-food restaraunt down there where they asked me what I wanted in Spanish.

There are some communities in So California like this, I just avoid them.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/27/05 at 12:29 am

There are some communities in So California like this, I just avoid them.

Why not learn Spanish? ;)

Es fácil. :)

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/27/05 at 12:36 am

You just say "deseo (whatever number you want)". Like "deseo un numero dos". That'd be "I want a number 2", and if you wanted to say, cut the vegetables or something, you would say "sin(without) verduras)". Or if you wanted to just cut the onions, it'd be "sin cebollas". Get the picture? Or you could just say "la carne y queso solamente"(meat and cheese only). 

Written By: jackas on 04/27/05 at 12:45 am

Why not learn Spanish? ;)

Es fácil. :)

Gracias, como se llama?, Alex es muy guapo., cuanto anos tu?, yo tango hambre  :P ::)  

Is that enough? :P

hasta!

Written By: jackas on 04/27/05 at 12:46 am

You just say "deseo (whatever number you want)". Like "deseo un numero dos". That'd be "I want a number 2", and if you wanted to say, cut the vegetables or something, you would say "sin(without) verduras)". Or if you wanted to just cut the onions, it'd be "sin cebollas". Get the picture? Or you could just say "la carne y queso solamente"(meat and cheese only). 

Or you could just go somewhere else.  I've never been that hungry. :P

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/27/05 at 12:47 am

Its not hard.

Written By: jackas on 04/27/05 at 12:50 am

Its not hard.

No, it's not at all. 

I can think of other languages that I'd rather learn. 

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/27/05 at 1:04 pm

1. Americans love pie. I like it, but I'm not a big fanatic!

I don't, but I think about half hate him.

3. Americans are wealthy Yeah, right

I teach it, therefore, I know the subject.

5. Americans have a good knowledge of history. Some do

6. Americans have post-secondary education. See #5

7. Americans are ambitious. see #5

8. Adultery is a common problem. It's not regional at all

9. Americans come from close-knitted families.see #5

10. Other than family, Americans don't need close attachments. see #5

11. The American economy is usually booming, and unemployment is very low. Yeah, right

12. Americans are gun happy I think so

13. There's a lot of racism.Ditto

14. A large majority of Americans can communicate in Spanish.NO

15. Killer bees exist in the States.Bees can kill anyway if you have an allergy

16. The eagle is a very common bird.No, it's on the endangered list

17. Baseball is a huge sport. To some, it is.

18. Every highschool must have a football team and cheerleader squad. Nope

Generalizations are dangerous!

Tanya

Written By: Mushroom on 04/27/05 at 1:23 pm

Here are my assumptions about my neighbors, the Americans. If I'm wrong, just slap me and correct me! I could probably learn a few things.

Here is my responses:

1. Americans love pie.  Pie is OK, I am not crazy about it though, I prefer cake.

2. Most Americans despise G.W Bush.  Actually, the approval rating now is about 50%.  It goes up and down constantly thoug, and that is not nessicarily a good indicator.  Remember also, those that "dispise" any president are normally about 15-20% of those that are opposed to the party he represents.  I am sure that those that oppose Bush would also oppose Washington or Lincoln, just because he is not of "their party".  And they are normally a very vocal minority.

3. Americans are wealthy  Well, I am in the bottom 50% of the lowest ranked state for wealth.  So I am hardly wealthy.  But I am comfortable, and I hope to be better off in the future.

4. Americans don't know geography.  Well, that may be true for some.  I actually have quite a good knowledge of Geography.  And I am always trying to learn more.

5. Americans have a good knowledge of history.  Once again, I think most are actually fairly ignorant of world history, and so-so in knowledge of our own history.  That is one of the problems of living in a nation just over 200 years old.  For us, a 150 year old house is "ancient", while the same in many areas of Europe are considered "modern".

6. Americans have post-secondary education.  I have none myself to speak of, but I am constantly learning.  I imagine that number is actually rather low.

7. Americans are ambitious.  I would agree with that.  Without a structured class or caste system, anybody here can go as far as their circumstances and ambition let them.

8. Adultery is a common problem.  Well, yes and no.  I agree that divroce is a problem.  Most cases of "adultry" here probably occur when the marriage is already failing.

9. Americans come from close-knitted families.  That depends on the area of the country.  In rural areas that is much more true then in urban areas.  Some communities here actually suffer from the case of absentee-fathers being the norm.

10. Other than family, Americans don't need close attachments.  That is very much true in urban settings.  There, knowing your neighbors can be dangerous.

11. The American economy is usually booming, and unemployment is very low.  Our economy goes up and down.  But for the most part, it is very stable when compared to many areas of the world.

12. Americans are gun happy  We do have a constitution that protects the right to own firearms.  I would be surprised if much more then 50% of the people actually own guns though.  But like all our rights, most of us defend those rights wether we use them or not.  Just like the right to vote, even though less then half of us actually use that right.

13. There's a lot of racism.  The "Institutional Racism" of the past is largely dead.  There will always be some racism in every society.  And while a lot of people concentrate on racism here, it is certainly a lot better then it was 30 years ago.

14. A large majority of Americans can communicate in Spanish.  I know some Spanish.  My ex-wife is from South Armerica, and is of course fluent as is her daughter.  My son however knows less then I do.  Of course, he refused to learn growing up, and now it is probably to late to learn much.

15. Killer bees exist in the States.  They do, in the South West.  But they are not as bad as a lot of people think.  And they are much worse further south, like in Panama.

16. The eagle is a very common bird.  In some areas that is true.  Hawks are even more common.  However, seagulls and crows are more populous as our "national bird".  :P

17. Baseball is a huge sport.  It is very popular, but the length of the season tends to lessen it's approval.  Football has a very short and intense playing season, so it's attendence is always higher.  That is why the baseball game with the highest attendence was held at a football stadium.

18. Every highschool must have a football team and cheerleader squad.  This is certainly true, if for no other resaon that there are a lot of kids that want schollarships.  And if you are not a "straight a" student, sports is the best way to get one.  And the same is true for the cheerleaders.  Don't forget, Paula Abdul was a cheerleader.  Of course, she was also class president and class validictorian.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/27/05 at 1:39 pm

I'll just respond to the ones I think are erroneous, but point out that the US is a very diverse country, so generalization is difficult.

2, Hate Bush.  His approval rating, last I heard, had dipped below 50% to the mid 40's, but that doesn't signify hating him.  I would guess that about half of us do.  He tends to generate strong emotions though, so there is a core that loves him.

3, Wealthy.  Most people define themselves as middle class but are not.  There is a great deal of poverty, but it is hidden, as indicated by our infant mortality rate, among the highest for the industrialized countries.

5, History.  Henry Ford once said "History is bunk", and most Americans believe that.  As a people, we are wowfully ignorant of our own history.

9, Close-knit families.  Some yes, some no.  Mine is.

10, Close friends.  Again, no way to generalize, although I would say that most women have more close friends than most men.

11, Strong economy.  I guess that depends on your point of view.  It has its ups and downs for sure, but for our rather large underclass, it is always down.

14, Spanish.  The first language of soon to be our largest minority, and probably the most common second language, but to say that most people can speak it would be wrong.

16, Eagles.  If I'm not mistaken eagles are still on the endangered spicies list.

Written By: Mushroom on 04/27/05 at 2:20 pm

16, Eagles.  If I'm not mistaken eagles are still on the endangered spicies list.

That depends on the type.

Yes, the American Bald Eagle is still on the Endangered Species List.  But many others are not.

Both the Golden Eagle and the American Eagle are not threatened, and are very populous in the American West.  Other species are the Lesser Spotted Eagle, Imperial Eagle, Ayres' Hawk Eagle, and many other breeds.  And while almost gone on the East coast, the American Bald Eagle is still fairly populous on the West Coast.  It is not uncommon to see them flying over Los Angeles, Boise, and other West coast cities.

Written By: McDonald on 04/27/05 at 5:05 pm

After debating this before I decided to finally look it up.  According to USA Today football is the most popular sport in America, followed by baseball, third is basketball, and fourth is ice hockey.

So you mixed up basketball and baseball.

Wait a couple years. Attendance at baseball games has already dwindled severely compared to what it used to be. 

Written By: GWBush2004 on 04/27/05 at 8:49 pm

I would be surprised if much more then 50% of the people actually own guns though.  

35% of Americans own guns.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but everyone here keeps writing that the bald eagle is an endangered species, but I could have sworn it was upgraded to a threatened species, and currently remains that.

Written By: MooRocca on 04/27/05 at 9:41 pm

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but everyone here keeps writing that the bald eagle is an endangered species, but I could have sworn it was upgraded to a threatened species, and currently remains that.

Nah, you're right, GWB.  They were upgraded about a decade ago (? give or take) and if they've been recategorized to endangered, again, since then, I missed hearing about it.  I grew up hearing "endangered" mentioned in the same breath every time bald eagles were mentioned, so in my case it's a matter of old terminology dying hard... a sure sign I'm no spring eaglette.  ;)  They are more plentiful in some states than others, of course -- I've never seen one in my part of Illinois, outside of a zoo,  but I don't think they're protected at all in Alaska (I could be completely wrong on that.)

Written By: Miss Tainted on 04/27/05 at 10:10 pm

1. Americans love pie. - I hate pie. :P

Personally he doesn't come across as the most competent President - I like him, but as it goes people that hate are louder than the people who love or don't care.

3. Americans are wealthy - Ever hear of ghettos/hicktowns? We have many.

I'm sorry, but some Americans think Alaska is part of Canada I'm OK/pretty good at it but my mom and grandpa are REALLY good at it, so I don't think this is true.

5. Americans have a good knowledge of history. - Again I'm OK at history but my mom and grandpa are wizzes at knowing anything and everything that has to do with it.

6. Americans have post-secondary education. - I know this might make me sound stupid but I don't know what that is. (Mind you I'm only 13)  XD

7. Americans are ambitious. - Some are, some aren't.

8. Adultery is a common problem. - I thought it was a common problem everywhere?

9. Americans come from close-knitted families. - Sometimes, other times their families are really messed up.

10. Other than family, Americans don't need close attachments. - This is a dumb myth.

11. The American economy is usually booming, and unemployment is very low. - Not really.

12. Americans are gun happy - I'm gun happy but most Americans aren't.

13. There's a lot of racism. - Yes, but I always thought racism was a world problem?

14. A large majority of Americans can communicate in Spanish. - I suppose so, I know a couple words but that's it.

15. Killer bees exist in the States. - I have no idea.

16. The eagle is a very common bird. - Nope.

17. Baseball is a huge sport. - It used to be. I personally hate it though.

18. Every highschool must have a football team and cheerleader squad. - Not EVERY highschool but most of them do have those things.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 04/28/05 at 12:58 pm

1. Americans love pie. 

Doesn't everyone?

2. Most Americans despise G.W Bush.   Personally he doesn't come across as the most competent President

No, about half support him, and of those that don't probably only half of those despise him.

My sense is that it's not uncommon.  I don't know how many people consider it a problem.

More than elsewhere?

Spanish is the native language of a large number of Americans.  Other than those, I don't think Spanish profiency is that common.

Mine had neither.

Written By: Mushroom on 04/28/05 at 2:02 pm

They are more plentiful in some states than others, of course -- I've never seen one in my part of Illinois, outside of a zoo,  but I don't think they're protected at all in Alaska (I could be completely wrong on that.)

They are still protected nationwide, because there is a federal ban on their hunting.

In fact, you can not even keep feathers from a Bald Eagle, no matter how they are obtained.  I remember the case a few years ago when Fish And WIldlife stomped down on a lady that presented a "Dream Catcher" to Hillary Clinton.  She had included some Bald Eagle feathers she had found in a zoo in it, and they charged her with "Trafficking in Endangered Species".

Written By: McDonald on 04/28/05 at 2:05 pm

I am sure that those that oppose Bush would also oppose Washington or Lincoln, just because he is not of "their party".  And they are normally a very vocal minority.

That's a ridiculous statement. First off, Washington belonged to no party. He was, in fact, vehemently opposed to the formation of political parties. Not to mention he is like the Santa Clause of American history and politics and the father of the country. His legend is the embodiment of American patriotism, and it's a bit out of line to suggest that those who don't support Bush would be the sort to oppose Washington.

I also don't hear any complaints about the Great Liberator, even though he was a Republican (which at the time was something completely different than what it is today. Anyone educated should know that) from those who oppose Bush.

It's unbecoming of you, frankly, to reduce the opinions of Bush's opposition (and let's just say it, Democrats) to wanton, unfounded partisanship. Sure, we have no reason at all... we're just a bunch of dummies from that other party and that's the reason we don't like him. Gee whiz, it just couldn't be his actions as president up until this point which might convince someone to oppose him. Nah.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 04/29/05 at 1:41 am

It's unbecoming of you, frankly, to reduce the opinions of Bush's opposition (and let's just say it, Democrats) to wanton, unfounded partisanship. Sure, we have no reason at all... we're just a bunch of dummies from that other party and that's the reason we don't like him. Gee whiz, it just couldn't be his actions as president up until this point which might convince someone to oppose him. Nah.

Mushroom was right.  There is a very small minority on both sides that would hate any president, any president, just because he is not in their political party.

No matter what Bush does, there is going to be about 10% of the US population who hates him.  Same for Clinton.  Same for Bush Sr.  Same for Ronald W. Reagan.

No president has ever had a 100% job approval rating.

Written By: McDonald on 04/29/05 at 10:40 am

Mushroom was right.  There is a very small minority on both sides that would hate any president, any president, just because he is not in their political party.

No matter what Bush does, there is going to be about 10% of the US population who hates him.  Same for Clinton.  Same for Bush Sr.  Same for Ronald W. Reagan.

No president has ever had a 100% job approval rating.

Now that I can agree with, and if that is indeed what Mushroom meant in his original comment, then I apologise. But from what I quoted it didn't seem that way, or maybe I just got the wrong impression.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/30/05 at 1:11 pm

Long list!  I chose to answer w/o reading the rest of the thread, 'coz I'm kinda short on time.  Forgive any repetions of what may have already been said.

1. Americans love pie.

I'm an American, and I love pie!  I'm not big on kidney pies, but gimme mile-high apple pie with a huge scoop of vanilla, and I'll follow you anywhere!

Personally he doesn't come across as the most competent President

Far too many Americans like him, or just plain tolerate him.  Far fewer than the fascist media would have you believe actually LOVE him.  The problem is, the majority of Americans who like Bush don't really know what he is all about.  Political cluelessness is rampant in the U.S.  If Americans understood the dynamics of POWER and PETROLEUM, they wouldn't let an oil man into any political office, let alone the presidency!

3. Americans are wealthy
Some are, most aren't.  Americans love to spend.  The old ethic of scrimping and saving has been replaced by conspicuous consumption.  There are millions of Americans with six-figure incomes who are dangerously in debt.  Most Americans who drive those big SUVs can't really afford them, they just draw out the payments for years.  Again, if you see American television and movies, they portray rich people as "middle class."

I'm sorry, but some Americans think Alaska is part of Canada

Yes, Americans tend to be woefully ignorant about where other countries are and what land belongs to whom.  Thinking Alaska is part of Canada is a bit on the extreme side, but we have a big share of extremely ignorant people!

5. Americans have a good knowledge of history.
Nope.  Americans are educated about what a swell guy George Washington was, and how we saved the world from Communism, but our education system doesn't give a comprehensive picture of the political forces behind historical events.  History-teaching in America tends to be full of slogans and icons, but not much else.

6. Americans have post-secondary education.
Again, far fewer Americans go to college than our popular culture portrays.  Among those who do go to college, few end up in the careers they studied for, and many graduate deep in debt.  College is a money-making scam these days.  American universities are being commandeered by corporations as sources for profitable research.  Universities give the humanities an ever lower status.

7. Americans are ambitious.
Yes, and for mostly the wrong reasons.  We are taught greed is good from an early age.  However, it's not called "greed," it's called being "goal-oriented," it's called "getting on a good career track," it's called "motivation," it's called "ambition," but please don't call it "greed"!

And how!

Only if you listen to the right-wing.  American culture does not value the family because it prizes selfishness above all else.  Selfishness doesn't work in families.  The fascists also try to "divorce" the family from community.  The American Fascist Party (Republican) is anti-communitarian because these sentiments of individualism and isolation help keep taxes low on the rich and discourage people from bonding for their collective interests.  You cannot be anti-community and pro-family, but that's the Republican anti-ethos.

10. Other than family, Americans don't need close attachments.
This dovetails with the above.  Americans desperately need close attachments with their fellow citizens, however, such attachment is dangerous to corporate control.  What Americans are taught to prize is attachment to selfish interests.

11. The American economy is usually booming, and unemployment is very low.
If the fatcats on Wall Street are raking in the big bucks, we are told the economy is booming.  This is a lie, of course, and we are deeply in hock to China.  Unemployment is low, under-employment is high.  Wal-Mart is employs more Americans now than General Motors, and Wal-Mart pays so little most employees can't even afford to buy the company health plan.  Not that most employees qualify for the health plan.  Most work part-time or have been working for the company only a few months.  Wal-Mart gets the most bad press, but is not atypical among service economy employers.

12. Americans are gun happy
America has a problem with violence, fear, and alienation.  Many people feel safer from their fellow Americans if they have a gun.  Most of that safety is illusory.  I think America's love affair with firearms is overplayed by the rightwing press.

There was and still is a lot of racism in America.  The South is stereotyped as more racist than the North, but this has never been true.  Northern racism manifests itself in different ways, but it's still just as racist.

Nope.  Most Americans speak know only a few Spanish words.  There is a lot of fear among Americans that Spanish will become too prevalent.  Of course, where there are lots of Latin Americans, such as Florida, Texas, Arizona, and southern California, a lot more anglo-Americans speak at least some Spanish because it is necessary.

15. Killer bees exist in the States.
They have some in the southwest.  Hope they never make it up to the northeast!

16. The eagle is a very common bird.
The American icon, the Bald Eagle, nearly went extinct actually.  Their numbers are on the rise now, but they are still a rare site.  You are more likely to see them out west, but to see one is a remarkable event.

17. Baseball is a huge sport.
It is huge, but not nearly as huge as it used to be.  Basketball rivals it for popularity.  Baseball is huge this year in my neck of the woods because the Boston Red Sox one their first World Series in 86 years!  Baseball is more beloved by Latin Americans these days than by Anglos.  Baseball is still an American icon, and is still known as America's Pastime, a title given to no other sport.

It's not a legal requirement, just a campy tradition.  Our particular form of "cheerleading" featuring hot chicks with great legs and big boobs seems to date back to the 1950s.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/01/05 at 5:02 am

Long list!  I chose to answer w/o reading the rest of the thread, 'coz I'm kinda short on time.  Forgive any repetions of what may have already been said.Far too many Americans like him, or just plain tolerate him.  Far fewer than the fascist media would have you believe actually LOVE him.  The problem is, the majority of Americans who like Bush don't really know what he is all about.  Political cluelessness is rampant in the U.S.  If Americans understood the dynamics of POWER and PETROLEUM, they wouldn't let an oil man into any political office, let alone the presidency!
Some are, most aren't.  Americans love to spend.  The old ethic of scrimping and saving has been replaced by conspicuous consumption.  There are millions of Americans with six-figure incomes who are dangerously in debt.  Most Americans who drive those big SUVs can't really afford them, they just draw out the payments for years.  Again, if you see American television and movies, they portray rich people as "middle class."
Yes, Americans tend to be woefully ignorant about where other countries are and what land belongs to whom.  Thinking Alaska is part of Canada is a bit on the extreme side, but we have a big share of extremely ignorant people!
Nope.  Americans are educated about what a swell guy George Washington was, and how we saved the world from Communism, but our education system doesn't give a comprehensive picture of the political forces behind historical events.  History-teaching in America tends to be full of slogans and icons, but not much else.
Again, far fewer Americans go to college than our popular culture portrays.  Among those who do go to college, few end up in the careers they studied for, and many graduate deep in debt.  College is a money-making scam these days.  American universities are being commandeered by corporations as sources for profitable research.  Universities give the humanities an ever lower status.
Yes, and for mostly the wrong reasons.  We are taught greed is good from an early age.  However, it's not called "greed," it's called being "goal-oriented," it's called "getting on a good career track," it's called "motivation," it's called "ambition," but please don't call it "greed"!
And how!
Only if you listen to the right-wing.  American culture does not value the family because it prizes selfishness above all else.  Selfishness doesn't work in families.  The fascists also try to "divorce" the family from community.  The American Fascist Party (Republican) is anti-communitarian because these sentiments of individualism and isolation help keep taxes low on the rich and discourage people from bonding for their collective interests.  You cannot be anti-community and pro-family, but that's the Republican anti-ethos.
This dovetails with the above.  Americans desperately need close attachments with their fellow citizens, however, such attachment is dangerous to corporate control.  What Americans are taught to prize is attachment to selfish interests.
If the fatcats on Wall Street are raking in the big bucks, we are told the economy is booming.  This is a lie, of course, and we are deeply in hock to China.  Unemployment is low, under-employment is high.  Wal-Mart is employs more Americans now than General Motors, and Wal-Mart pays so little most employees can't even afford to buy the company health plan.  Not that most employees qualify for the health plan.  Most work part-time or have been working for the company only a few months.  Wal-Mart gets the most bad press, but is not atypical among service economy employers.
America has a problem with violence, fear, and alienation.  Many people feel safer from their fellow Americans if they have a gun.  Most of that safety is illusory.  I think America's love affair with firearms is overplayed by the rightwing press.
There was and still is a lot of racism in America.  The South is stereotyped as more racist than the North, but this has never been true.  Northern racism manifests itself in different ways, but it's still just as racist.
Nope.  Most Americans speak know only a few Spanish words.  There is a lot of fear among Americans that Spanish will become too prevalent.  Of course, where there are lots of Latin Americans, such as Florida, Texas, Arizona, and southern California, a lot more anglo-Americans speak at least some Spanish because it is necessary.
They have some in the southwest.  Hope they never make it up to the northeast!

16. The eagle is a very common bird.It is huge, but not nearly as huge as it used to be.  Basketball rivals it for popularity.  Baseball is huge this year in my neck of the woods because the Boston Red Sox one their first World Series in 86 years!  Baseball is more beloved by Latin Americans these days than by Anglos.  Baseball is still an American icon, and is still known as America's Pastime, a title given to no other sport.
Yeah, and ain't it pathetic?

Any chance you could make that list more readable?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/05 at 7:40 am

Here are some generalisations I've made about those Yanks (mainly based on TV, since i've never really actually met one in real life lol)

1. They confuse self-centredness with 'independence'
2. Those who live in cities are generally unfriendly to anyone unless they can get something out of it.
2. They pride themselves on 'independence' but value conformity above all else.
3. They proclaim their hate for G.W.Bush but secretly admire him for promoting the
    American-centric world view.
4. They consider 'Survivor' good entertainment.
5. To them being 'rude' is being direct, open and honest.
6. They have a low tolerance for anyone who does not live the American way.
7. They don't know what a 'Seppo' is
8. They think 'Fiji' is a Polynesian cocktail.
9. They like things large...in every respect
10. American culture is sanitised and disposable
11. They will get pissed off at me saying all this...

No I'm just having a dig you Seppos, not that I seriously believe all these negative generalisations about Americans (or do I?) just wanted Americans and non-Americans with experience living in the US to give their opinion.

Written By: McDonald on 05/01/05 at 10:28 am

All those things are very representative of a lot of Americans out there, but in a population of over 250 million, you can expect many, many millions of exceptions.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/01/05 at 2:07 pm

Any chance you could make that list more readable?

Oh darn! I knew I goofed up on the brackets somewhere! Sigh...
OK, lemme go find where...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/01/05 at 2:37 pm

Here are some generalisations I've made about those Yanks (mainly based on TV, since i've never really actually met one in real life lol)

See my list above.  The corporate oligarchy pushes the myth of the pioneer, the cowboy, and "rugged individualism" to undermine collective strength in American culture.
2. Those who live in cities are generally unfriendly to anyone unless they can get something out of it.
Depends on the individual.  There are just as many per capita of this kind of azzwhole in rural areas as in urban areas.  In cities such as New York, Boston, Chicago, or San Fran, the "street hustler" and the sociopath are much more high profile, but creeps run rackets everywhere.
Something Jack Nicholson's character in "Easy Rider" still rings true.  Americans claim to celebrate freedom and the individual, but when they actually see a "free individual" it scares the h*ll out of them, and they feel driven to snuff out that individual and his freedom.  In "Easy Rder" this was depicted by the Southern rednecks.  Today I find it is largely a Suburban Republican phenomenon.  Nonconformists either head for the urban cultural hubs, or the sparsely populated boonies, depending on the temperment of the nonconformist.
3. They proclaim their hate for G.W.Bush but secretly admire him for promoting the

Well, few who "proclaim" their hate for Dubya secretly admire him.  I will say there are hypocrites on the affluent end of the Left wing who hate Dubya's social conservatism, but who benefit from Dubya's economic agenda and live high off the empire.  We used to call them "yuppies," and they'll be d*mned if they'll give up their own SUVs and and McMansions!  I hate Dubya for his Fascism.  His social conservatism is just a show to talk the rubes into voting against their own economic interests.
I consider a John Cage recital good entertainment, and that's what I'm going to out to see in just a few minutes!  Too many Americans gobble up whatever cr*p corporate television puts before them.  Not all objectors get treated equally.  If a Southern Baptist condemns popular television, he is a man of principle objecting to the Hollywood degenerates.  If a Northern agnostic, such as I, condemns popular television, he is called an elitist snob.  At least that's how it is in the dominant right-wing press.
Not sure by what means this stereotype made it across the Atlantic, but I've seen it myself.  It may be because a lot of Americans are not taught to think in a nuanced fashion, and are grossly inarticulate.  Thus, they don't know how to be direct without being rude!
The American way as defined by the Republicans and the corporate culture just means you support policies that undermine social justice, and raise Wall Street and the petroleum companies to oligarchical supremecy.  This is another place where the "cowboy" and "rugged individualism" myths come in handy.  I want to change what is considered the "American way" and for that I may be called a socialist far-left loony.
Got no clue about a "Seppo" myself!
Wrong, wrong, wrong!  We all know a "Fiji" is a tropical fish, and don't you forget it!
:D
You betcha!  It's quite the drag being a man under 5' 7" in America, like me!
::)
Well, it is disposable, but sometimes it's quite filthy!
11. They will get ticked off at me saying all this...
I think I can find it in my great, big American heart the size of Texas to forgive you!
;)

Written By: AL-B on 05/01/05 at 6:45 pm

11. They will get ticked off at me saying all this...

No I'm just having a dig you Seppos, not that I seriously believe all these negative generalisations about Americans (or do I?) just wanted Americans and non-Americans with experience living in the US to give their opinion.

You really shouldn't judge people until you've met them. I've been fortunate to travel extensively, and I've found that the majority of people are more alike than they are different. I mean, come on. Most of the people who post at this site are Americans. If you really feel that you're so much better than everyone else here, then perhaps you ought to find another site to post at.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/01/05 at 11:27 pm

You really shouldn't judge people until you've met them. I've been fortunate to travel extensively, and I've found that the majority of people are more alike than they are different. I mean, come on. Most of the people who post at this site are Americans. If you really feel that you're so much better than everyone else here, then perhaps you ought to find another site to post at.

I don't think Trimac is implying superiority so much as poking a bit of fun at us Yanks.  Where's your sense of humor, AL-B?  I always say "joke 'em if they can't take f**k!"
;D

Written By: Satish on 05/02/05 at 12:01 am

Got no clue about a "Seppo" myself!

"Seppo" is an Australian slang term for people from the United States:

Dictionary of Australian Slang

Seppo / Septic tank - an American (rhyming slang for yank).

http://www.australiatravelsearch.com.au/trc/slang.html

Written By: McDonald on 05/02/05 at 9:59 am

Ouch, Aussies... A septic tank?

Written By: AL-B on 05/02/05 at 10:56 am

I don't think Trimac is implying superiority so much as poking a bit of fun at us Yanks.  Where's your sense of humor, AL-B?  I always say "joke 'em if they can't take f**k!"
;D
Perhaps you're right, something about it just rubbed me the wrong way.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/02/05 at 11:02 am

I've always found American people to be nice, and have always found them to be very friendly too.
I could go on but I'm not gonna get sickly sweet or nauseating nice about my experiences.  ;D

and I never realised the word 'Yank' came from a derogatory Aussie term.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/02/05 at 11:06 am

Odd pejorative coming from a country founded as a penal colony!
::)

Written By: limblifter on 05/04/05 at 3:41 am

I know a lot of people in upstate New York who I would consider family. Everytime I go to visit them, they make sure I bring down a case of "Good Canadian beer". And they never forget me when they buy tickets to Louden for my annual Nascar fix.

The only difference i've ever noticed that still boggles my mind because i've never had it, is that they deep fry turkeys!! That, and the beef jerkey selection is sooooo much better in the States. They have it up here, but they charge an arm and a leg for it. :(

Written By: Mergal on 05/04/05 at 10:35 am

A couple of other myths: Americans don't really drink
                                    Pretty much all Americans are Christians.

Written By: jackas on 05/04/05 at 5:36 pm

I never realised the word 'Yank' came from a derogatory Aussie term.

That's because it didn't.  :-\\  The origin of it isn't really clear, but I found a site that has somewhat of an explanation. 

If you're interested. :)

http://www.answers.com/topic/yankee

Written By: Kryllith on 05/06/05 at 9:57 am

By "Americans" I'm guessing you mean "U.S. Citizens"? Usually if someone says Americans I apply it to every country upon two continents. :)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/06/05 at 10:26 am

Pretty much all Americans are Christians.

Between 82 and 85 percent depending on which opinion poll you look at.

Canada is in the high 70's, so it's not that much different.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/06/05 at 11:11 am

Between 82 and 85 percent depending on which opinion poll you at.

Canada is in the high 70's, so it's not that much different.

"which opinion poll you at"?  Are you learning ebonics?
;D

The vast majority of Americans do come from "Christian" backgrounds.  I am.  My father's family is Catholic, my mother's family is Protestant.  My father renounced his Catholocism because the Jesuit monks who taught him at school ran his brain throught the meat grinder of shame.  My mom's family hasn't been actively religious in a couple of generations, although I have several Mayflower pilgrims in my ancestry, and there were many ministers among my antescendants up through the early 20th Century.  Actually, one of my second-cousins living today is a minister, forgot which denomination.
The point is, I grew up in a non-practicing Christian family, which is quite typical.  That 80% to 85% of Americans who identify as Christian includes a much, much lower percentage of the fundamentalist Protestant and conservative Catholic JACOBINS the right-wing theocrats like to trot out as representative of "middle American values."  That part of the story is bogus!

Written By: Chrisrj on 05/06/05 at 9:46 pm

1. Americans love pie.not normally, but if it's offered, I night have some if I felt like it.  You'd probably be the same way, too.

2. Most Americans despise G.W Bush.barely over half of us do.. if the ones who didn't vote for bush all voted for kerry, bush would've been gone.

3. Americans are wealthyonly like, 1% of us are.  the rest of us have to pay taxes.

4. Americans don't know geography.I read about this, it's very disturbing.  I personally know the map very well.

5. Americans have a good knowledge of history.with what they teach in the schools, it's kinda iffy.  I would've liked to have learned about Japanese history when I was younger..

6. Americans have post-secondary education.not very true.

7. Americans are ambitious.probably, but most of us are either too sad, or lazy :P

8. Adultery is a common problem.It's possible, but not too sure.  I only hear about them in soap operas :P

10. Other than family, Americans don't need close attachments.I don't quite follow either of these...

11. The American economy is usually booming, and unemployment is very low.I suppose, haven't been paying attention, but unemployment is really low.

12. Americans are gun happythat's just not true.  I am personally against guns, and want to find a better way.  Sheryl Crow wrote a song against them being sold in Wal-Mart once.

13. There's a lot of racism.not at all, they have laws against them, but it does still exist

14. A large majority of Americans can communicate in Spanish.I don't know about a LARGE group, but I don't..

15. Killer bees exist in the States.I heard about that in Texas, but not much else has been brought up since.

16. The eagle is a very common bird.it's not that common, but it's regarded well amongst the really eccentric Americans.

17. Baseball is a huge sport.to many people, but not to me.

18. Every highschool must have a football team and cheerleader squad.Unfortunately, this seems to be the case.  Doesn't mean I want them...

19. Americans don't really drink.  many drink like fish... but not all.  all of us drink something of course;)

20. Pretty much all Americans are Christians. actually, I'm more familiar with people who don't go to church regularly than those who do.  I used to be Christian somewhat sort of, but I got tired of the BS and quit.

You should know, though, that I don't consider myself just as an American, but as a person.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...