» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Republicans to back down on new ethics rules designed to protect DeLay

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/27/05 at 2:03 pm

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=politicsNews&storyID=8317689&pageNumber=0

They've all but admitted the rule change is to protect DeLay, who was already brought up in front of the panel three times in the past year. 

Subject: Re: Republicans to back down on new ethics rules designed to protect DeLay

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/27/05 at 2:09 pm

I just hope that they let him twist slowly in the wind before they bring "the hammer" down.

Subject: Re: Republicans to back down on new ethics rules designed to protect DeLay

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/28/05 at 6:32 am

I just hope that they let him twist slowly in the wind before they bring "the hammer" down.

won't happen.  DeLay still wields too much power.  They'll recommend he steps down, and then when it comes to a vote in the full senate, it'll break down along party lines exactly, and he'll stay.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/28/05 at 3:12 pm

won't happen.  DeLay still wields too much power.  They'll recommend he steps down, and then when it comes to a vote in the full senate, it'll break down along party lines exactly, and he'll stay.

I'm sure you mean "the house of representatives".  I'm not sure your'e right.  He is becoming quite an embarrasment.  I do hope the Dems keep up the pressure, and the Repubs keep defending him (like trips on Air Force 1 with Lil' Georgie).  Let this go on until early Oct 2006.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/28/05 at 4:11 pm

I'm sure you mean "the house of representatives".  I'm not sure your'e right.  He is becoming quite an embarrasment.  I do hope the Dems keep up the pressure, and the Repubs keep defending him (like trips on Air Force 1 with Lil' Georgie).  Let this go on until early Oct 2006.

yes, I meant the House.  the fact that they voted to repeal the new rule is a positive sign, but it just frees them up to push this off the radar as quickly as possible.  They'll try and bring it up next year, but most people's eyes glaze over when you talk about this stuff.

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/01/05 at 4:36 pm

yes, I meant the House.  the fact that they voted to repeal the new rule is a positive sign, but it just frees them up to push this off the radar as quickly as possible.  They'll try and bring it up next year, but most people's eyes glaze over when you talk about this stuff.

Hopefully, that Texas grand jury will indite him.  That should keep things humming long into the summer, and the fall as well, if not beyond.  We can only hope.  And I wonder why we haven't heard from our Republican friends on this.

Written By: EthanM on 05/01/05 at 11:03 pm

probably because reuters is a biased, liberal source that reports facts as they are instead of how they should be.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/01/05 at 11:23 pm

Not only are they fascists, they're wimpy fascists!  I can't believe they're backing down so easily!  Whatever happened to the we-have-a-super-majority-we-can-do-whatever-the-f**k-we-want insolence we all loved so well?  Why can't they all unite and deny DeLay did anything wrong at all?  Might as well, the rest of the Republican agenda is fascism justified by psychotic fantasies.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/02/05 at 6:12 am

Maybe he can share an office with Trent Lott.  All this could be a double edged sword for deLay.  If he
has as much power as it appears he has, then the guys above him(Rove, Cheney) may figure he has
too much, and winning would solidify his base(not the people who can or cannot vote, the real base
in congress). It could be they are preparing to hang him out to dry.

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/02/05 at 2:22 pm

Maybe he can share an office with Trent Lott.  All this could be a double edged sword for deLay.  If he
has as much power as it appears he has, then the guys above him(Rove, Cheney) may figure he has
too much, and winning would solidify his base(not the people who can or cannot vote, the real base

My guess is, the more that comers to light about DeLay, the more the power structue will be will; to hand him out to dry.  I;m siure they have another, equally sleezy, scum bag in the wings.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/02/05 at 11:04 pm

Lott?  Lott was just a dope and a bigot.  DeLay is dangerous sociopath, if he hadn't gone into politics, he'd be in maximum security someplace!

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/03/05 at 2:22 pm

Lott?  Lott was just a dope and a bigot.  DeLay is dangerous sociopath, if he hadn't gone into politics, he'd be in maximum security someplace!

No, he'd be where he belongs, killing cockroaches in Texas.  I guess when you kill enough of something, you get to be like them. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/04/05 at 12:13 pm

No, he'd be where he belongs, killing cockroaches in Texas.  I guess when you kill enough of something, you get to be like them. 

You're probably right about that.  He'd have his own exterminating business with about four employees at any given time, but a high turnover because none of 'em could ever stand the SOB!

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/04/05 at 12:18 pm

You're probably right about that.  He'd have his own exterminating business with about four employees at any given time, but a high turnover because none of 'em could ever stand the SOB!

As I understand it, he had an exterminating business before going into bribery, illegal fund raising, and intimidation, ie politics Texas style.

Check for new replies or respond here...