» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: That's disturbing...

Written By: Mergal on 04/28/05 at 6:33 am

Just heard on the radio that a univesity in Texas just cloned a horse. What's next?.....

Subject: Re: That's disturbing...

Written By: Taoist on 04/28/05 at 8:11 am

Just heard on the radio that a univesity in Texas just cloned a horse. What's next?.....

..it'll be elected president?

Written By: whitewolf on 04/28/05 at 8:49 am

Actually a couple months ago, scientists were given the go-ahead to start cloning humans so they could use the stem cells for medical research.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/28/05 at 3:01 pm

Fankly, I'm not sure how I feel about cloning, but I guess I just have to quote Aldous Huxley, "Ah, brave new world".  Read the novel, it will scare the bejesus out of you.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/28/05 at 3:50 pm

If its beneficial, why not?

Besides this isn't new. Hasn't it been nearly 10 years since they cloned Dolly now? They have also cloned chickens and cats, I think.

Written By: McDonald on 04/28/05 at 4:14 pm

Actually a couple months ago, scientists were given the go-ahead to start cloning humans so they could use the stem cells for medical research.

It's been sitting on my bookshelf since Xmas, but I haven't got to it yet.

Written By: philbo on 04/28/05 at 5:09 pm

Damn, you beat me to it ;)

...though maybe just the rear half...

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/28/05 at 5:09 pm

darn, you beat me to it ;)

...though maybe just the rear half...

Well, that would just be history repeating itself.

Written By: Miss Tainted on 04/28/05 at 5:11 pm

They'll start cloning humans and harvest their body parts for medical research ect. The world is coming to an end I tell you.  :\'(

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 04/28/05 at 7:22 pm

Cloning is creepy. No ethics involved, it's just creepy.

Written By: UKVisitor on 04/28/05 at 8:14 pm

when you or a loved one is dying in hospital and needs a transplant it all becomes a lot less creepy. Yes it should be carefully controlled but the genie is out of the bottle and offers benefits to medical science as well as posing ethical questions. People didn't like the idea of blood transfusions and transplants when medical science made it possible - we didn't become a society of vampires and body snatchers and neither will we become frankenstein now. Have some faith in mankind but always keep one eye open...

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/28/05 at 8:37 pm

when you or a loved one is dying in hospital and needs a transplant it all becomes a lot less creepy. Yes it should be carefully controlled but the genie is out of the bottle and offers benefits to medical science as well as posing ethical questions. People didn't like the idea of blood transfusions and transplants when medical science made it possible - we didn't become a society of vampires and body snatchers and neither will we become frankenstein now. Have some faith in mankind but always keep one eye open...

You expressed how I feel myself. Quite eloquently too.

Written By: cancemini2real on 05/29/05 at 9:05 pm

Maybe they should clone aliens?! Oh never mind! They can do that themselves! :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/05 at 2:07 am

Even if it is cloned, it'll be nice to have a whole horse as president, rather than just a horse's rear end!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/30/05 at 3:47 am

Even if it is cloned, it'll be nice to have a whole horse as president, rather than just a horse's rear end!
Better than a horse's turd we have now. (I've said way too much)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/30/05 at 3:58 am

Mr Ed for President.

Written By: goodsin on 05/30/05 at 8:34 am

Cloning makes me uncomfortable in a similar way to genetically modified crops. I think meddling with the order of nature to this extent will be our downfall- maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday soon...

Written By: Gis on 05/30/05 at 10:32 am

They cloned a human embryo in the U.K a couple of weeks ago. I think it is wrong personally.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/05 at 1:42 pm

Cloning makes me uncomfortable in a similar way to genetically modified crops. I think meddling with the order of nature to this extent will be our downfall- maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday soon...

Cloning is a technology that could be used for good or evil purposes.  In the hands of corporations (eg Monsanto, ADM) motivated only by rapacious profiteering, cloning will definitely be used for evil.
Just look at what Monsanto does with genitically modifed crops. 
http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=5790
http://www.co-intelligence.org/y2k_monsantoisevil.html
This isn't even cloning, it's just splicing.  Imagine what agri-business would do if the could clone not only plants, but all livestock, too!

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/30/05 at 2:48 pm

Cloning is a technology that could be used for good or evil purposes.  In the hands of corporations (eg Monsanto, ADM) motivated only by rapacious profiteering, cloning will definitely be used for evil.
Just look at what Monsanto does with genitically modifed crops. 
http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=5790
http://www.co-intelligence.org/y2k_monsantoisevil.html
This isn't even cloning, it's just splicing.  Imagine what agri-business would do if the could clone not only plants, but all livestock, too!

So you're saying that the profit motive is the problem?  If so, welcome to the club.  I've been saying that for years.

Check for new replies or respond here...