» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Myths(?) about my friends across the pond

Written By: Mergal on 05/04/05 at 10:41 am

1) You're prejudice about the Irish
2) You drink more then Canadians
3) There's a pub at every corner
4) It rains 300 days of the year.
5) Proper grammar is a must
6) You talk slower
7) The Royal Family to you is what Hollywood is to North Americans
8) The average household has a dozen kinds of various teas.
9) Adultery is an everyday matter.
10) Every house has a garden.
11) Everyone shows up late for work.
12) You eat large breakfasts.

Subject: Re: Myths(?) about my friends across the pond

Written By: karen on 05/04/05 at 11:10 am

Personally no.  But they are generally the butt of jokes which regard them as being a bit thick.

Not knowing many Canadians to do a comparison with I wouldn't know.  I think if you averaged out the amount per person then it's actually not that high.  Some people are just drinking my share, the buggers  ;)

no.  In the town where I live many of the town centre pubs have closed according to my mum and dad.  Some new ones have opened recently but I can remember drinking in one or two places that have since shut (either knocked down or turned into something else)

not here.  I'm sure there are parts of the UK that have a lot of rain (where do you think the lakes in the Lake District come from?)

I do try and write properly but that doesn't mean I am completely grammatically correct all the time.  I certainly wasn't taught it properly at school. And I know I am not when I speak.

6) You talk slower

Compared to?

Not sure what your point is here.  I don't think they are idolised as much as they used to be, if that is what you mean.  All the divorce 'scandals' solved that.

not here.  Sainsbury's Red Label and Twinings Earl Grey.  now my husband's coffee collection is another matter  ::)

Is it?  Damn I've been missing out again  ;)

I can't think of any houses without gardens (though I know some with only a paved yard) but there are plenty of flats/bedsits without access to one.

not everyone.  (and I finish late as well but does anyone comment on that?  )

Despite the popular image of a full cooked breakfast being served every day, this is not the reality.  I have some cereal and a glass of water every day.  Very occasionally at the weekends I have toast as well.  I would say this is a fairly typical breakfast.

Written By: Taoist on 05/05/05 at 6:01 am

Interesting point. The British do seem to have a different idea about the "troubles" in NI to other people.  Of course, we get the biased media telling us that we are righteous and therefore the problem is the people we invaded/oppressed.
Much like the general US view on Israel!

Actually, it appears that the royal family is to north Americans what hollywood is to us.
US TV seems to make much more of the monarchy than we do.

I doubt it.
My household does infact have 20-30 different types of tea but I don't think that would be considered normal.  Most households will have tea but mainly the crappy indian stuff, drunk with milk.

Unfortunately not so, we too have slums.

This is surprising, Maybe Americans have the impression that the English don't have the work ethic they have but most people I speak to think the opposite.  Maybe it's just a nationalist thing, believeing the others to be lazy. I have found myself though, when working for an American company, that the work done in the states was of a far lower standard and took far longer to complete.

We have the traditional english breakfast but I doubt too many people eat that every morning.
It does make sense though to fill yourself up for the day ahead and if you are going to eat fried food, the morning is the best time.
We tend to think that it's Americans who eat too much though.

Written By: Paul on 05/05/05 at 7:05 am

See karen's and Tao's comments...I don't really think you can get away with telling jokes at their expense anymore - you'd most likely be shot by the 'thought police'...

Not knowing the average Canadian's drinking habits, I couldn't honestly say...we do, as a nation, chug quite a bit, tho'...

No, a lot have gone - in days of yore the pub' was the centre of the community and would be packed to the rafters almost every night...then came a wonderful invention called TV...!

No, 314...!! We do get a lot of rain, but no-one seems to remember the days when we don't - some areas are on water shortage alert already, as our annual rainfall thus far is below average...

Not a must, but it does disappoint me of the way the standard has dropped...I find that 'text' style particulary annoying!

6) You talk slower

Do...we...re--all-lly...?

Let me amend that sentence slightly...

'The Royal Family needs a collective bullet through the head'

(Just my opinion, you understand...!)

Not in mine...just a huge catering-size bag of Tetley tea bags...!

Echoing karen's sentiments...!

Not all - but I'm fortunate that I've got a good-sized one (oo-er...!)

Nope...but unlike karen, I don't work late...

I only do at weekends when I've got the time - even then, it's not every weekend (once a month I have a cholesterol 'freak out'...!)

Written By: Gis on 05/05/05 at 8:13 am

No I wouldn't say so. We are about the French though !  ;D
Ah you see American beer is so weak we have to drink more of it to get the same effect so it just makes us appear to drink alot than Americans.
Not literally but we do have alot of pubs yes.
That's about right
To some people yes, a great deal of the population probably don't even know what grammer is !
6) You talk slower
True.
??
8 ) The average household has a dozen kinds of various teas.
We all have some kind of tea yes but not necessarily dozens.
I would say that depends on the people involved !
Most houses have gardens some of them look more like cesspits than gardens though......
Definatly not, we would all get sacked if we did !
Only at the weekends ! I'm too busy in the week to do more than grab a slice of toast.

Check for new replies or respond here...