» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Al Gore to receive lifetime award for contributions to the Internet

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/05/05 at 8:18 am

http://story.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050505/ap_on_hi_te/gore_award;_ylt=AvJneYMBtMMEPZBu9lCTjX8jtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Gore, who boasted in a CNN interview he "took the initiative in creating the Internet," was only 21 when the Internet was born out of a Pentagon project.

But after joining Congress eight years later, he promoted high-speed telecommunications for economic growth and supported funding increases for the then-fledging network, according to the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences, which presents the annual awards.

He popularized the term "information superhighway" as vice president.

Vint Cerf, the father of the Internet, is the one who pushed for the award.  Will this stop stupid people from twisting the issue? Probably not.

Subject: Re: Al Gore to receive lifetime award for contributions to the Internet

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/05/05 at 8:51 am

Let's see who is in this group that is giving this award to Al Gore:

The Academy is an intellectually diverse organization that includes members such as musicians Beck and David Bowie, Internet inventor Vint Cerf, political columnist Arianna Huffington, Real Networks CEO Rob Glaser, "The Simpsons" creator Matt Groening, "Smart Mobs" author Howard Rheingold, Oracle chairman Larry Ellison, and The Body Shop president Anita Roddick. Members also include writers and editors from publications such as The New York Times, Wired, Details, Fast Company, Elle, The Los Angeles Times, Vibe, and WallPaper.

This "award" might as well be handed out by the DNC.

Subject: Re: Al Gore to receive lifetime award for contributions to the Internet

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/05/05 at 9:39 am

The Academy is an intellectually diverse organization that includes members such as musicians Beck and David Bowie, Internet inventor Vint Cerf, political columnist Arianna Huffington, Real Networks CEO Rob Glaser, "The Simpsons" creator Matt Groening, "Smart Mobs" author Howard Rheingold, Oracle chairman Larry Ellison, and The Body Shop president Anita Roddick. Members also include writers and editors from publications such as The New York Times, Wired, Details, Fast Company, Elle, The Los Angeles Times, Vibe, and WallPaper.

Well, Al Gore is a Democrat, and a liberal (though not nearly enough for me).  So the fact that Vint Cerf is hanging out with some liberals makes his opinion of Gore's contributions worth nil?  That reminds me of certain people who discounted Einstein's contributions to science because he was a Jew.
Al Gore never did say he "invented" the internet.  That's been long exposed, but the Right in this country must cling to their lies anyway.  On top of that, it must drive the Right crazy that the acknowledged "father of the internet" is now giving Gore high accolades in the internet's foundations all the same!
8)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/05/05 at 9:46 am

Al Gore? Contributions to the internet?  ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/05/05 at 10:11 am

wow, Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh aren't there so it must be nothing but liberals. 

Vint Cerf is the father of the Internet.  If he says Al Gore had a hand in helping with the spread of the Internet, I'd believe him over any political commentator the right can produce.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 05/05/05 at 12:29 pm

Just as an aside, it's odd to me that the article feels compelled to mention that Gore was "only 21" when the Internet was born, as though someone of that age would be far too young to be involved in something like that.  ???

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/05/05 at 12:51 pm

"The Simpsons" creator Matt Groening

Presumably you never watched The Simpsons during the Clinton Administration.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/06/05 at 12:23 am

Just as an aside, it's odd to me that the article feels compelled to mention that Gore was "only 21" when the Internet was born, as though someone of that age would be far too young to be involved in something like that.  ???

Well, yeah, the "ARPANET" was proposed by Larry Roberts at Ann Arbor in 1967, and commissioned by the Defense Department in 1969, but the "ARPANET" was NOT the "INTERNET," it was the direct ancestor of what would evolve into the internet with the help of many young smartazzes in the '70s, one of who was Al Gore.  The name "Vinton Cerf" doesn't even appear in the following timeline until 1973.  This is a concise timeline, though I haven't studied its details 'coz I can't arouse enough interest as of yet!
http://www.zakon.org/robert/internet/timeline/

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/06/05 at 12:25 am

No I didn't, but I do know the creator of "The Simpsons" is a very liberal man.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/06/05 at 12:30 am

OK, The Simpsons had great success ripping on Clinton, and God bless 'em, because Clinton needed to be ripped on, and the right-wing is no good at satire for obvious reasons.  However, Matt Groening and the Simpsons writers are excommunicated for the following sacrilege:
They failed to worship at the altar of Ronald Reagan.

They also created the best Limbaugh parody ever circa 1994:

I found no usable images Googling "Birch Barlow," but if you have one, please post it!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/06/05 at 12:38 am

No I didn't, but I do know the creator of "The Simpsons" is a very liberal man.

Yes, can you imagine what a right-wing Simpsons would look like?  There's a reason why all the best humor in the world has been done by liberals!

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/06/05 at 8:12 am

Well, yeah, the "ARPANET" was proposed by Larry Roberts at Ann Arbor in 1967, and commissioned by the Defense Department in 1969, but the "ARPANET" was NOT the "INTERNET," it was the direct ancestor of what would evolve into the internet with the help of many young smartazzes in the '70s, one of who was Al Gore.  The name "Vinton Cerf" doesn't even appear in the following timeline until 1973.  This is a concise timeline, though I haven't studied its details 'coz I can't arouse enough interest as of yet!
http://www.zakon.org/robert/internet/timeline/

ARPANET is essentially the Internet before the term is invented.  There was a switch over in protocols, not physical connections or anything else. 

Vinton Cerf proposed the first gateways in 1973, the actual use of the ARPANET to connect various networks wasn't until 1982.  This is what created the Internet.  In other words, it was inter (between) networks, instead of just between machines.  Al Gore was certainly around in politics by then, having been elected in 1977. 

You see Al Gore's name appear in this timeline in 1987,

The concept and plan for a national US research and education network is proposed by Gordon Bell et al in a report to the Office of Science and Technology, written in response to a congressional request by Al Gore. (Nov) It would take four years until the establishment of this network by Congress (:gb1:)

1987 + 4 years, equals 1991.  This is what Al Gore was talking about in his speech that was twisted by the conservative pundits.

US High Performance Computing Act (Gore 1) establishes the National Research and Education Network (NREN)

This is one of the first steps that helped move the Internet from universities and private companies into more widespread usage.

It's really too bad that people that understand nothing about the underlying principles of the network are allowed to make hey out of it.  I was in college in 1991 and using the Internet when this went into action and there was a huge explosion in the number of hosts. I even remember receiving one of the very first pieces of spam in 1994, The Greencard spam that was sent to Usenet subscibers.

The conservatives that made fun of Al Gore in 2000 about his comment, probably didn't even know what a network was, or even how to open Microsoft Word on a computer in 1991.  Heck, they probably still don't.  It's certainly nothing new though for a conservative to blab endlessly about what they don't understand.  Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Bill O'Reilly, they've all made a career out of it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/06/05 at 11:31 am

ARPANET is essentially the Internet before the term is invented.  There was a switch over in protocols, not physical connections or anything else. 

Vinton Cerf proposed the first gateways in 1973, the actual use of the ARPANET to connect various networks wasn't until 1982.  This is what created the Internet.  In other words, it was inter (between) networks, instead of just between machines.  Al Gore was certainly around in politics by then, having been elected in 1977. 

You see Al Gore's name appear in this timeline in 1987,

The concept and plan for a national US research and education network is proposed by Gordon Bell et al in a report to the Office of Science and Technology, written in response to a congressional request by Al Gore. (Nov) It would take four years until the establishment of this network by Congress (:gb1:)

1987 + 4 years, equals 1991.  This is what Al Gore was talking about in his speech that was twisted by the conservative pundits.

US High Performance Computing Act (Gore 1) establishes the National Research and Education Network (NREN)

This is one of the first steps that helped move the Internet from universities and private companies into more widespread usage.

It's really too bad that people that understand nothing about the underlying principles of the network are allowed to make hey out of it.  I was in college in 1991 and using the Internet when this went into action and there was a huge explosion in the number of hosts. I even remember receiving one of the very first pieces of spam in 1994, The Greencard spam that was sent to Usenet subscibers.

The conservatives that made fun of Al Gore in 2000 about his comment, probably didn't even know what a network was, or even how to open Microsoft Word on a computer in 1991.  Heck, they probably still don't.  It's certainly nothing new though for a conservative to blab endlessly about what they don't understand.  Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Bill O'Reilly, they've all made a career out of it.

Oh, OK, I was confused about exactly when Gore got involved.  Told you I didn't really examine that timeline!  Anyway, the Right will continue to trot out the lie that Al Gore claimed he invented the internet, bunch of weasling deceivers that they are!  I didn't even have my first email address until 1996, and didn't even start using email regularly until 1998!  Those nostalgic for the golden age of the internet cite 1994 as the year it stopped being their thing, and became a telecommunications tool for every yahoo out there (no pun intended). 

It's such a struggle today against the spammers and the saboteurs.  I have all-new anti-virus and anti-spyware programs on my PC.  My browser got hijacked and killed a few weeks ago.  I had to take it to the shop and pay $90 to get if fixed.  The guy said I had over 1200 infected files!
>:(
So that's what I hate most about the internet.  There are so many bad people out there laying in wait for prey!

Check for new replies or respond here...