» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: bush bushwhacks family seats

Written By: danootaandme on 05/14/05 at 1:05 pm

The administrations military base closings in New England account for %50 of the nationwide blue collar job losses.  The 2 states that are hit hardest are the home states of the bushes.  Not Texas, they never actually owned property in Texas until georgie decided to run.  The bushes are from Connecticut which will suffer greatly, and Maine, where they own an island, and is the summer residence of the clan.  Maybe some of the people in the area will take a trip to Kennebunk and let babs and george the first know what they think of their baby boy.

Subject: Re: bush bushwhacks family seats

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/14/05 at 1:14 pm

I was shocked to find out that Vermont wasn't on the chopping block. I thought that Dubya will want to retaliate against Jim Jeffords and Pat Leahy.

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 05/14/05 at 1:48 pm

Don't forget, that the "Base Closure Lists" come from the Department Of Defense, and is then approved or dissapproved by Congress.  The President actually has no direct imput into this procedure at all, but has to work through Congress to get bases added or removed.  Since this list is the first draft, it only has the bases that the DOD wants to close.  It is now up to Congress to determine of the bases are really excess to the needs or not.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/brac.htm

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/14/05 at 2:10 pm

Don't forget, that the "Base Closure Lists" come from the Department Of Defense, and is then approved or dissapproved by Congress.  The President actually has no direct imput into this procedure at all, but has to work through Congress to get bases added or removed.  Since this list is the first draft, it only has the bases that the DOD wants to close.  It is now up to Congress to determine of the bases are really excess to the needs or not.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/brac.htm

Technically, of course, this is correct, but the plan was drawn up for Donny Rummy, are we expected to believe that Mr. Rumsfeld is apolitical?  PULEEEEEESE.  Noe of us (as far as I know) are expert in these matters, but there certainly seem to be political overtones to me.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/16/05 at 11:14 am

This time around, the list is supposed to be approved or disapproved, there's supposed to be no alterations allowed.

Considering how hard they hit the blue states and how well they compensate the red states, I find it pretty hard to believe there is no politics involved.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/16/05 at 11:24 am

This time around, the list is supposed to be approved or disapproved, there's supposed to be no alterations allowed.

Considering how hard they hit the blue states and how well they compensate the red states, I find it pretty hard to believe there is no politics involved.

Most red states already take more in subsidies from the federal government than the pay to the federal government in taxes.  This is typical.

What were those statastics about blue collar job losses due to base closures in Connecticut and Maine?  I thought 50% sounded too high.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/16/05 at 12:40 pm

That's true.  Congress and the president have to either approve or disapprove all the base closings, no individual bases can be added or removed.

The way the media makes it sound, the closings have no chance to pass, which is a good thing.

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/16/05 at 1:41 pm

That's true.  Congress and the president have to either approve or disapprove all the base closings, no bases can be added or removed.

The way the media makes it sound, the closings have no chance to pass, which is a good thing.

Interesting.  The pro-military outweights the pro-Lil' Georgie.  I wonder how many "reds" are calling their congress persons in protest.

Check for new replies or respond here...