» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: PEOPLE LIKE THIS SHOULDN'T DRIVE!

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/15/05 at 6:38 pm

I just heard about this happened not too far from where I live:

This lady was hit by a car at night and killed.  The guy driving was some 80-yr-old man and he called the cops saying he "wasn't sure, but he thought he may have hit an animal."  When they found her body, apparently another vehicle had caught onto her and dragged her even more. 
Seriously, I think if someone is "unsure" whether they hit a PERSON, they need to get off the road!

Subject: Re: PEOPLE LIKE THIS SHOULDN'T DRIVE!

Written By: AL-B on 05/15/05 at 9:10 pm

This lady was hit by a car at night and killed.  The guy driving was some 80-yr-old man and he called the cops saying he "wasn't sure, but he thought he may have hit an animal."  When they found her body, apparently another vehicle had caught onto her and dragged her even more. 
Seriously, I think if someone is "unsure" whether they hit a PERSON, they need to get off the road!
Also, it seems like about 2 or 3 times a year, there will some stupid old person who will suddenly lose control of his or her car and plow into a crowd of people. And I love it how they always use the same excuse: "I...THOUGHT...IT...WAS...THE...BRAKE!!!"

(My last car was a Mercury Grand Marquis, which is about as much of a "grandpa car" as you can get, and I can tell you firsthand that I never noticed any inherent design flaws in the car that might possibly result in confusing the brake pedal with the accelerator...)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/16/05 at 1:07 am

When that old man was a young boy, GM and Firestone were already buying up light rail systems all over America and systematically destroying them.  They wanted people to buy cars, tires, and petroleum.
The result after four generations is a network of private passanger car-dominated cities, suburbs, and exurbs with viable mass transit in only a handful of urban areas. 
Since our country is run by greedy oilmen, and the republic must suffer for the empire, the destruction continues.  Here in the Pioneer Valley of Western Mass we have a pretty good network of buses run by the PVTA.  Yeah, there were trolleys way back when, but they were destroyed by WWII for gas chugging buses.  Anyway, Massachusetts is in perpetual budget crisis, so the PVTA is facing huge cutbacks.  They are cutting back on some routes, and they want to discontinue service on Sundays this summer.  The result?  Even more old folks getting behind the wheel when their faculties are too frail to handle driving.
My grandmother lived up in NH.  Prior to her death she was nearly blind.  She continued to drive because she had no choice.  "I only drive roads I know," she explained.  Grandma had "Braille" roads, if you will.  There wasn't merely inadequate mass transit where she lived,  there was NO mass transit!"
For seniors like my late grandmother, giving up the license and the car meant giving up *independence.*  They know what's next: the nursing home and imminent DEATH!"  If they could take the trolley to the bank, the bakery, and the barbershop...well, that's just so much halcyon dreaming for might-have-been!
So--next time an 88-year-old Alzheimer's sufferer plows into a crowd of pedestrians, just think how much better off they might be if we hadn't let automotive and petroleum interests start pushing us around back in the 1920s!
::)

Written By: Gis on 05/16/05 at 1:42 am

There was a story in the news here in the U.K last week where a taxi driver dumped a guy on a duel carriageway because he had run out of money and he was hit by not one but 4 cars none of whom stopped.A very sad indication of human nature I feel.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/16/05 at 5:28 am

This is a real tragedy. Furthermore, it makes me mad when people like this are allowed to have a license.

Also, it seems like about 2 or 3 times a year, there will some stupid old person who will suddenly lose control of his or her car and plow into a crowd of people. And I love it how they always use the same excuse: "I...THOUGHT...IT...WAS...THE...BRAKE!!!"

Al, I couldn't agree more.

There was an incident like this about 10 years ago, at the shopping center across the street from the townhouse complex I lived in at the time. From what I gather, this 90 or so-year-old man pulled up to the hardware store, and did the "gas instead of the brake", plowed into the front of the store, not only destroying that whole front wall, but there were several injuries (thankfully no deaths, though!).

To give an idea of how bad it was, the store was, if I recall right, closed for over 2 months for remodeling.

On the upside though, I think the more time goes on, the less of these "clueless senile old drivers" we'll be seeing. The reason? Cars became affordable for the average person to have, I believe, in the 1940's - certainly by '50. That means all the 16-year-olds in 1946 will be 90 in 2020, meaning even the oldest people on the road then, will have been driving all their lives.

Even today, a driver in his 80's (we'll say born 1920) might've still not had a car till he/she was closer to 25-30, so they didn't "grow up" on it the way people born in or after the '30s did. All those people know what it's like to be around a clueless old driver, so they'll sense when they're old enough to be a danger on the road.

Just a thought. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/16/05 at 6:12 am

This is a real tragedy. Furthermore, it makes me mad when people like this are allowed to have a license.

Al, I couldn't agree more.

There was an incident like this about 10 years ago, at the shopping center across the street from the townhouse complex I lived in at the time. From what I gather, this 90 or so-year-old man pulled up to the hardware store, and did the "gas instead of the brake", plowed into the front of the store, not only destroying that whole front wall, but there were several injuries (thankfully no deaths, though!).

To give an idea of how bad it was, the store was, if I recall right, closed for over 2 months for remodeling.

On the upside though, I think the more time goes on, the less of these "clueless senile old drivers" we'll be seeing. The reason? Cars became affordable for the average person to have, I believe, in the 1940's - certainly by '50. That means all the 16-year-olds in 1946 will be 90 in 2020, meaning even the oldest people on the road then, will have been driving all their lives.

Even today, a driver in his 80's (we'll say born 1920) might've still not had a car till he/she was closer to 25-30, so they didn't "grow up" on it the way people born in or after the '30s did. All those people know what it's like to be around a clueless old driver, so they'll sense when they're old enough to be a danger on the road.

Just a thought. ;)

Regarding the elderly, it has nothing to do with how many decades they've been driving.  If it did, 35 year old drivers would have far more mishaps than 85 year old drivers.
It has far more to do with an utterly automobile-centered civic infrastructure in which very od and infirm drivers see no other way to get around. 
In America, we have bee killing off as much family, community,  and civic togetherness as possible.  Thus seniors are often quite alone and left to their own devices.

Written By: AL-B on 05/16/05 at 1:08 pm

Regarding the elderly, it has nothing to do with how many decades they've been driving.  If it did, 35 year old drivers would have far more mishaps than 85 year old drivers.
It has far more to do with an utterly automobile-centered civic infrastructure in which very od and infirm drivers see no other way to get around. 
In America, we have bee killing off as much family, community,  and civic togetherness as possible.  Thus seniors are often quite alone and left to their own devices.
And to be honest, I absolutely LOVE to drive. I love it so much I made a career of it. I was one of those kids that dug on cars as soon as I could walk. Call me a fossil fuel junkie, call me an environmental rapist, call me a fool, call me what you like, but it's the truth. I feel fortunate to be alive at this particular point in human history if for no other reason than because I get to drive a car. And should I make it into my 80's or 90's, I'm gonna have one hell of a time giving up my car keys. When I hit 65 my advanced age, coupled with the fact that the very first thing I will do when I retire (and am no longer subject to random drug testing) is buy an expensive bong and then sit around and smoke weed for the rest of my days, will make me a true menace to America's highways. Of course by then who knows? Maybe the cars will be able to drive themselves by then. (Or better yet, maybe they'll finally invent a jetpack for me!)http://www.furious-d.com/jetpack.jpg

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/16/05 at 1:36 pm

I think that elderly drivers should be tested for vision and reflexes maybe once a year or so, but this could happen to anyone.  Night driving can be tricky for anyone.  Having driven cross country with my daughter as backup driver, I can tell you that those dashed white lines can be mezmerizing, and evan high-beam headlights can start to look too dim.  At least he called the cops, taking responsibility for what he did.

I agree that our country would be a lot better off if we hadn't benn seduced into our "car culture".

Written By: Gis on 05/16/05 at 3:54 pm

In the U.K when you reach 70 you have to retake your driving test and then you are tested every year.

Written By: AL-B on 05/16/05 at 3:55 pm

I agree that our country would be a lot better off if we hadn't benn seduced into our "car culture".
They sure make it hard, don't they?   ;)
http://www.car-posters.com/prod_images/57chev.jpg

Written By: danootaandme on 05/16/05 at 4:41 pm

They sure make it hard, don't they?  ;)

ooooohhh baaabyyyy 8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/16/05 at 5:30 pm

When I hit 65 my advanced age....maybe they'll finally invent a jetpack for me!)

Or hover conversions. ;D

Seriously though, I have an uncle who's almost 75 now, and he drives perfectly. I think too, that knowing what kind of guy he is (he's very "with it" for his age. Hell, he had a digital camera before I did, and he still works!) he'd be able to sense, in say 10 or 12 years, if it were no longer safe for him to be on the road.

I wonder if advanced technology (i.e. the internet) has anything to do with elderly folks being more alert than before?

I'm not for taking away anyone's independence. Whether you're 15, 50 or 90, everyone wants to be able to have that, but if your being in control of something that weighs 3000 pounds and can go 100 MPH could be a danger, in the interest and safety of everyone (including themselves), it's best to give it up. Taking the bus, walking, or getting rides from friends isn't that bad. ;)

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/17/05 at 7:38 am

I've actually noticed my Father's driving getting worse and worse as he gets closer and closer to 50  ;D

He gets closer to the car's in front nowadays, Drives either too slow or too fast and i've noticed him sway over in to the other lanes on the road occasionally.

Presumably this is just an eyesight thing which i think would attribute to 95% of the cases involving much Older drivers.

Written By: karen on 05/17/05 at 7:49 am

My mum didn't learn to drive until she was 50.  A year or so after passing her test she had her eyes tested and they gave her glasses to wear when she was driving.  Her first comment on putting them on in the car?  "I can read all the road signs now"!!

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/17/05 at 11:45 am

This may sound pathetic, but i'm 19, almost 20 and am just now about to go take my driver's test.  I really only have one shot at it. I'm scared to take it in Lawton cuz not only do I have to perfect my parallel parking and uphill parking, but apparently there's a guy there who flunks every female the first time they take the test, just becuz he lost his daughter in a car wreck.  Does that seem fair to yall?

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/17/05 at 1:25 pm

My mum didn't learn to drive until she was 50.  A year or so after passing her test she had her eyes tested and they gave her glasses to wear when she was driving.  Her first comment on putting them on in the car?  "I can read all the road signs now"!!

Well, my vision isn't the best, but I know the shapes of the various signs evan if I can't read them at 1000 yards any more.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/17/05 at 6:05 pm

I am visual imparred and NO I do not drive-not because the DMV says I can't but because I don't feel comfortable driving. I do have my licence but haven't gotten behind a wheel of a car in many years now.  I could drive if it was an emergency (but not Carlos' car because it is a stick and I never learned to drive a stick  ::) )

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/18/05 at 1:56 am

They sure make it hard, don't they?   ;)

Not to sound cynical or--dare I say--un-American, but those slick roadsters got about eleven miles to the gallon, chugged out tons of fumes and lead particles, and if you crashed, there was no safety belt, you just got impaled on the unyielding steering column, or maybe you got your flesh torn to pieces as you sailed through the shard-shattering windshield!

Ralph Nader
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:vgKlPhOBYHoJ:img.infoplease.com/images/nader
He ain't James Dean or
the Marlboro Man, but he's
sure saved a lot of lives!

That said, I love to drive too!  I mean, I really dig it.  It's a peerless pleasure to hit the open road.  I just wish I didn't have to drive my car just to get a gallon of milk quickly and safely!

Written By: karen on 05/18/05 at 3:44 am

Well, my vision isn't the best, but I know the shapes of the various signs evan if I can't read them at 1000 yards any more.

My mum couldn't read the signs well enough to see which turning she needed! 

If all the road signs throughout the States follow the same pattern (having only been to Florida I don't know) then I can tell you that our direction signs are a lot bigger than the ones in the States.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/18/05 at 9:44 am

This may sound pathetic, but i'm 19, almost 20 and am just now about to go take my driver's test.  I really only have one shot at it. I'm scared to take it in Lawton cuz not only do I have to perfect my parallel parking and uphill parking, but apparently there's a guy there who flunks every female the first time they take the test, just becuz he lost his daughter in a car wreck.  Does that seem fair to yall?
That's ridiculous, the guy should be fired! I wish you best of luck on your test though ;) BTW, I don't see anything wrong with people getting thier licenses in the late teens. I waited until I was 18. I think the roads would be safer if people waited until then :)

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/18/05 at 12:48 pm

Ny dad will be 85 in Oct. and is still a good driver.  As I see it, teens have better reflexes than older folks, but are more likely to take chances and show off.  Elders aren't as quick, but are more cautious.  Seems to me to balance out.

Written By: Climber on 05/21/05 at 2:53 am

That's ridiculous, the guy should be fired! I wish you best of luck on your test though ;) BTW, I don't see anything wrong with people getting thier licenses in the late teens. I waited until I was 18. I think the roads would be safer if people waited until then :)

I have 3 kids, and each one of them will be getting their learner's permit when they are 15.  They will then practice until they are 18, at which time they may get their license.  I have already informed the oldest 2 about this, and they are OK with it (the youngest is only 10.5 mos old).  I would rather drive them (or let them practice) wherever they need to go, than risk the inexperience.

Written By: AL-B on 05/21/05 at 10:49 am

Not to sound cynical or--dare I say--un-American, but those slick roadsters got about eleven miles to the gallon, chugged out tons of fumes and lead particles, and if you crashed, there was no safety belt, you just got impaled on the unyielding steering column, or maybe you got your flesh torn to pieces as you sailed through the shard-shattering windshield!
It's funny you mention that, but my older brother (who is a dyed-in-the-wool liberal) is the proud owner of a 1968 Chevrolet Impala, which he drives almost on a daily basis. (similar to this, except his is a 4-door:)
http://www.nationalshowcars.com/am/listings/images/35_3.jpg
I myself owned two '68 Impalas when I was in high school and I absolutely loved them, and I used to drive them with reckless abandon. However, after years of becoming accustomed to driving vehicles with air bags, 3-point safety belts, and anti-lock brakes, whenever I get into my brother's car I feel somewhat vulnerable. But it's a sweet ride!  ;)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/21/05 at 2:45 pm

Ralph Nader
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:vgKlPhOBYHoJ:img.infoplease.com/images/nader
He ain't James Dean or
the Marlboro Man, but he's
sure saved a lot of lives!

That said, I love to drive too!  I mean, I really dig it.  It's a peerless pleasure to hit the open road. I just wish I didn't have to drive my car just to get a gallon of milk quickly and safely!
Yeah but many of today's cars,while safe...are really BORING. With the exception of cars like Corvettes and Mitsubishi's Eclipse(the only cool Japanese car!)...cars,performance and looks-wise,have become ho-hum...except if you have the MAJOR MONEY to customize your ride...or money enough to get something like a Corvette,Dodge Viper,or Porsche Boxster....But trucks have not succumbed to the boring stuff yet....I'm mostly a Chevy nut but I have to say FORD and DODGE do the coolest trucks!(Although Chevy has the Tahoe and Avalanche SUV's that are way cool!)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/05 at 8:18 pm

Yeah but many of today's cars,while safe...are really BORING. With the exception of cars like Corvettes and Mitsubishi's Eclipse(the only cool Japanese car!)...cars,performance and looks-wise,have become ho-hum...except if you have the MAJOR MONEY to customize your ride...or money enough to get something like a Corvette,Dodge Viper,or Porsche Boxster....But trucks have not succumbed to the boring stuff yet....I'm mostly a Chevy nut but I have to say FORD and DODGE do the coolest trucks!(Although Chevy has the Tahoe and Avalanche SUV's that are way cool!)

There are no boring cars, just boring drivers.  I have an ancient Acura Integra, the cheap version, what you would call a boring car, plus I'm a boring driver.
My friend Scott, on the other hand, he had a Chevy Chevette, but the way he drove the thing, you weren't BORED, you were white as a ghost, adrenalin racing, haning on for dear life!
:D

Written By: AL-B on 05/22/05 at 12:02 pm

There are no boring cars, just boring drivers.  I have an ancient Acura Integra, the cheap version, what you would call a boring car, plus I'm a boring driver.
I wouldn't necessarily call an Integra a boring car. I've heard that they handle quite well and are fun to drive. Now MY car could definitely be considered boring (I drive a Ford Crown Vic, and I'm quite possibly the only person in America who owns one that isn't either 85 or older, or somehow associated with law enforcement). But I make it fun.  :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/23/05 at 8:34 am

I have 3 kids, and each one of them will be getting their learner's permit when they are 15. They will then practice until they are 18, at which time they may get their license. I have already informed the oldest 2 about this, and they are OK with it (the youngest is only 10.5 mos old). I would rather drive them (or let them practice) wherever they need to go, than risk the inexperience.

I didn't know you could still get a permit at 15 - I guess it depends which state you're in.

Really though, I think that's a pretty good idea. Just from personal experience here, I honestly didn't care that much about getting a car the minute I hit 16 (for the record, my peripherral vision is WAY off on the left side, so I could never quite pass the DMV's vision test - 7 years later, I still don't drive and I'm managing okay).

Oddly enough, I was more excited about thinking of driving back when I was a kid. By the time I was 15 or 16, it was like, "Ah, it's cool. I'm used to takin' the bus, walking, or bumming rides off people." LOL

In my experience, alot of the 16 or so-year-old drivers who aren't responsible (just from either my friends, or general observations through the years) are for two reasons. (1) they just want freedom so badly that they don't think - enough - about stuff like, say seatbelts or slowing down, and (2) they're trying to show off -- I think the guys do that more, but it can go either way.

PS: Many of you may get a laugh out of this, but when I was 12-13, I used to consistently burn rubber with shopping carts, or get 'em up on two wheels, etc - I actually WAS very careful, despite how it probably sounds! ;D

But I actually did it for a reason, to get it "out of my system" so I wouldn't be tempted to do it in a car a few years later. I have to say, my younger self was smart -- by the time I was 16, I was (no pun intended!!) burned-out on it. I'd recommend all kids/young teens do that, LOL! :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/23/05 at 10:52 am

I didn't know you could still get a permit at 15 - I guess it depends which state you're in.

Really though, I think that's a pretty good idea. Just from personal experience here, I honestly didn't care that much about getting a car the minute I hit 16 (for the record, my peripherral vision is WAY off on the left side, so I could never quite pass the DMV's vision test - 7 years later, I still don't drive and I'm managing okay).

Oddly enough, I was more excited about thinking of driving back when I was a kid. By the time I was 15 or 16, it was like, "Ah, it's cool. I'm used to takin' the bus, walking, or bumming rides off people." LOL

In my experience, alot of the 16 or so-year-old drivers who aren't responsible (just from either my friends, or general observations through the years) are for two reasons. (1) they just want freedom so badly that they don't think - enough - about stuff like, say seatbelts or slowing down, and (2) they're trying to show off -- I think the guys do that more, but it can go either way.

PS: Many of you may get a laugh out of this, but when I was 12-13, I used to consistently burn rubber with shopping carts, or get 'em up on two wheels, etc - I actually WAS very careful, despite how it probably sounds! ;D

But I actually did it for a reason, to get it "out of my system" so I wouldn't be tempted to do it in a car a few years later. I have to say, my younger self was smart -- by the time I was 16, I was (no pun intended!!) burned-out on it. I'd recommend all kids/young teens do that, LOL! :D

I lived out in the sucking fuburbs where I was a poor kid among rich kids.  The town had grown from a walkable community to a drive-only sprawl between the '50s and the '80s.  It's a typical American story.  At sixteen you either had wealthy parents who would buy you a car, or you sunk your burger-flipping cash into an old hunk of junk. 
I did neither.  I was the weird gothy kid who walked where everybody else drove.  I took the bus to Cambridge and used my grocery-bagging money to buy cool records and more goth gear.
I didn't even get my license until I was twenty, and I was twenty-three before I had a car.
Any junior or senior who rode the school bus was a dork.  However, I remember our vice-principal announcing at the beginning of the year that
"the automobile won't start" would not be a legitimate excuse for tardiness.  "The bus," he said, "will always start."
;D
I didn't take too well to driving at first.  Well, I flunked the classroom portion of driver ed.  The teacher was this drunken retired gym teacher, Coach Calleghy.  Coach said there would be a written test at the end, but he didn't care about grades.  So we all goofed off and cut z's.  He got so mad in the session before the test because of all the goof-offs and no-shows that he imposed an 80% as a passing grade.  Yup, I flunked.  Anyway, it wasn't required.
Then I had to quit the driving instruction because I made my teacher too nervous.  The guy just had a look of terror on his face whenever I was behind the wheel, and he kept slamming on that special passenger side brake they all have.  How was I supposed to learn anything if he kept stopping the car?  I learned later with my dad's old Jeep.  Cracked the thing up a couple of times, but I got through.  My driving record is nearly spotless!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/23/05 at 10:59 am

(for the record, my peripherral vision is WAY off on the left side, so I could never quite pass the DMV's vision test - 7 years later, I still don't drive and I'm managing okay).

I know the feeling. My peripherral vision is WAY off on BOTH sides due to an eye disease

Cat

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/23/05 at 11:04 am

Heh, funny story Max! ;)

I live in semi-suburbia out here, so the busses run usually every half hour or so. At times it's annoying not to have a car in the last 7 years, but I've managed (for the record, I have driven before. I can do an automatic just fine, but a stick shift? Be prepared for alot of shakiness, LOL). If I lived where you did then, it might be a little worse!

Luckily my old high school is only a mile away from this apartment complex - I didn't have to take the bus and be a dork! I already endured that in Elementary and (some of) Middle School. ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/23/05 at 11:06 am

I know the feeling. My peripherral vision is WAY off on BOTH sides due to an eye disease

Cat

Yeah, I've still got fine peripheral, but it's "closer to the center" than it should be, so in other words I have to turn slightly to see where I "should" on the left side if it were 100% perfect.

I still find it ironic that I can't drive, yet 90 year-olds (with way worse, most likely) still can. ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/23/05 at 11:18 am

Heh, funny story Max! ;)

I live in semi-suburbia out here, so the busses run usually every half hour or so. At times it's annoying not to have a car in the last 7 years, but I've managed (for the record, I have driven before. I can do an automatic just fine, but a stick shift? Be prepared for alot of shakiness, LOL). If I lived where you did then, it might be a little worse!

Luckily my old high school is only a mile away from this apartment complex - I didn't have to take the bus and be a dork! I already endured that in Elementary and (some of) Middle School. ;D

Actually, I wasn't qualified to take the bus because I lived too close to the school, but I took it anyway.  I just walked up the street a bit to where the bus did stop and got on there.  The toothless old carney who drove the thing didn't care.  It was better to be a dork than freezing my extremities in January or get soaked by April downpours!

My eyes aren't so great either.  It's my depth perception that's crummy.  It never interfered with my driving, but I couldn't play softball or tennis!

Written By: karen on 05/23/05 at 11:24 am

I have 3 kids, and each one of them will be getting their learner's permit when they are 15.  They will then practice until they are 18, at which time they may get their license.  I have already informed the oldest 2 about this, and they are OK with it (the youngest is only 10.5 mos old).  I would rather drive them (or let them practice) wherever they need to go, than risk the inexperience.

You can get a learner's permit at 15?  Wow, that's young.

It's changed a bit here in the UK since I learned to drive but you still have to be 17 before you can get a provisional licence for a car.  You now have to pass a theory test before you can take the practical.  I've done one or two of these online and I would pass.

My dad paid for us to have driving lessons until we passed the test as a 17th birthday present.  I was the most expensive I think, I took about 40 lessons before I passed!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/23/05 at 11:31 am

You can get a learner's permit at 15?  Wow, that's young.

It's changed a bit here in the UK since I learned to drive but you still have to be 17 before you can get a provisional licence for a car.  You now have to pass a theory test before you can take the practical.  I've done one or two of these online and I would pass.

My dad paid for us to have driving lessons until we passed the test as a 17th birthday present.  I was the most expensive I think, I took about 40 lessons before I passed!

In so much of the U.S., you have to drive just to go get a bottle of milk.  There's a lot more demand among families to let younger teens drive.  I don't know, but I've heard in other countries they make everybody learn to drive on a stick shift.  In America, most everybody can just learn automatic.  That makes it MUCH easier.  Fewer and fewer people under the age of 40 know how to drive standard transmission.  I learned on standard, but haven't driven one since.

Written By: karen on 05/23/05 at 11:36 am

The vast majority of cars here a stick shift.  When we hired a car in Florida I didn't drive it because it was an automatic and I'd never driven one before.

Written By: cancemini2real on 05/29/05 at 12:09 am

I was a spoiled teenager, back in the late 80's,either my mom chauffered me across town to school or my granddad chauffered me to school and periods where I was within a short walking distance to school, after my high school graduation, it was public transportation and it was a love/hate thing with it. My stepdad tried to teach me how to drive and I started freaking out and jumping curbs at the same time, One of my twin uncles gave me a couple hundred bucks to take up driver's ed and I was excited, especially when I passed both written and on road testing and received my driver's permit followed by an official driver's license. I didn't own a car until I was about 21 or 22. Today, I still own a car, still commute and I say don't be fooled by how old people drive. A couple of years ago, I was running late for work and this big old "shipwreck" of a car in front of me was driving below the speed limit, so I tried to pass her and did,the next I know the old "bird" floored it and took off passed me! I thought "D***!" Her hotflashes must have kicked in! My point is; When you're in a big city like Houston, Texas (my Hometown)  or any other big city, people period just drive like they're on a suicide mission, while others drive like they're on site seeing tour. I've seen people speed up while exiting a freeway, slow down while entering a freeway,wait for you to accellerate and jump in front of you causing you to slam brakes, ride your bumper for miles with plenty of space to go around, fly through neighborhoods as if they're in NASCAR, I seen people driving through parking lots not giving pedestrians the right of way as they exiting the stores..etc. I could go on and on, but I'm sure you get the picture. A lot of people need to retire those driver's, and not just the old folks. :P

Written By: AL-B on 05/29/05 at 1:35 pm

I've heard in other countries they make everybody learn to drive on a stick shift.  In America, most everybody can just learn automatic.  That makes it MUCH easier.
I think that it should be required by law that everyone should know how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmisision before they can get their license.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/29/05 at 3:33 pm

I think that it should be required by law that everyone should know how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmisision before they can get their license.

The auto and oil companies would go nuts.  Automatic costs more and uses up more gas!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/29/05 at 7:39 pm

This lady was hit by a car at night and killed. The guy driving was some 80-yr-old man and he called the cops saying he "wasn't sure, but he thought he may have hit an animal." When they found her body, apparently another vehicle had caught onto her and dragged her even more.
Honestly,some seniors don't want to give up driving,even when their skills are not as sharp as when they were younger. That's sad. They see it as 'losing their independence'...I have all the freedom to travel anywhere in America using public transit. No paying for car repairs,gas,or auto insurance,which is EXTREMELY expensive here in New Jersey!

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/30/05 at 10:22 pm

Ok so last week, I took my driver's test and flunked by only 5 points.  Here's what he counted me off for:

*didn't signal to pull out of parallel parking
*something about not slowing down at the pedestrian walk
*didn't signal to pull over to the curb for downhill parking
*for downhill parking, i turned my wheels to the right, but he said i started turning them to the left again (i don't remember doing that)
*made a left turn, and was concentrating so much on not cutting into the other lane, that i forgot it was a "one way only", so i turned into the far lane  :-[  doh!

Well tomorrow, I'm takin the test again.  Those of u who pray, please pray for me that I'll pass this one! (at least i dont have to worry about the guy who flunks all first-timers).  I start work again on Wednesday, so I MUST go back to the city...no more waiting.  Just pray that I'll get my license (pray that it won't be raining during my test) so this poor miserable girl won't have to walk to work anymore! (the house im moving into is farther than the dorms so a much more unpleasant walk)

Written By: Climber on 05/30/05 at 10:50 pm

You can get a learner's permit at 15? Wow, that's young.

I figure the sooner they get their permits, the longer they can practice.  Once they turn 18, they don't need mine or my husband's signature to get their license.  So, better safe than sorry.
My niece in Alaska got hers last year when she turned 14.  I have heard that in Montana they start at 14 also.  I think it's because they don't have as many roads and freeways.
I remember reading a few years back about Florida enacting a law that allowed teens to get progressive licenses.  They start with a permit, then progress to driving only at certain times of the day, with limited passengers (esp. other teens), and it goes on from there.  I also heard that other states were doing similar programs.  It's supposed to help keep inexperienced drivers from being out there alone, or with friends they want to impress.  That can spell major disaster.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/31/05 at 11:56 am

>:(      F*CK AROUND!!!!

Yeah, so it stopped raining by the time I took my test.  But what happened?  I was going to make a left turn, someone coming from my right had their left turn signal on and was slowing down and getting into the left turn lane.  So I went ahead and turned left and she f*cking flunked me right then and there. Just cuz SHE didn't see his turn signal she doesn't even give me a chance!  >:(   

Check for new replies or respond here...