» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: So it's come to this....

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/27/05 at 2:32 am

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=579102005

I don't even know what to say.

Subject: Re: So it's come to this....

Written By: karen on 05/27/05 at 4:08 am

"Doctors seek kitchen knife ban"

• Doctors claim long kitchen knives serve no purpose except as weapons
• 55 out of 108 homicide victims in Scotland were stabbed last year
• Police superintendents say a ban would be difficult to enforce

"Accident and emergency medics claim the knives serve no useful purpose in the kitchen but are proving deadly on the streets of Britain, with the doctors claiming the knives are used in as many as half of all stabbings"

I do think they are going a little OTT with this.  I agree with the guy who said that a cricket bat ,or other items in the house, could be used as a weapon in the hands of an idiot.  We are already in the situation where no knives can be bought by under 16's, including childrens cutlery sets.  I really don't think this will have much effect on the statistics.

As to a chef's knife serving no purpose in the home  :o

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/27/05 at 4:17 am

This isn't serious. It can't be.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: karen on 05/27/05 at 4:55 am

It is.  It was on the radio this morning.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/27/05 at 5:18 am

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/Josette11/B00008S0T5.jpg
Heard the doctors in Scotland say they want to ban blocks with a capacity over ten!

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/27/05 at 5:26 am

This is just too stupid for words.

Well hell, whilst were at it let's ban Cars, you could hop in to one and mow somebody down, better ban jars as well, i dropped one on my foot this morning, i could just as easily have thrown it at somebody.

What say we build a big wall around scotland made out of cotton wool.

I thought us southerners were supposed to be the soft morons. ;D

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/27/05 at 5:55 am

This isn't serious. It can't be.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/27/international/europe/27knife.html

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/27/05 at 7:13 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/27/05 at 1:47 pm

It is a bit foolish.

Written By: Im Batman on 05/27/05 at 1:57 pm

Just so long as they keep the White House kitchen well stocked with pretzels.

Written By: Apricot on 05/27/05 at 2:46 pm

Dear Jesus, that's HILARIOUS!

Seriously, though, WTF?

Written By: EthanM on 05/27/05 at 3:36 pm

ok... usually i don't agree with gwb2004's opinions on weapons, but this is just ridiculous.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/28/05 at 4:23 am

Maybe someone here that lives in Scotland can tell us why Scotland seems to be becoming one big Kindergarten.

Written By: goodsin on 05/28/05 at 10:07 am

Maybe someone here that lives in Scotland can tell us why Scotland seems to be becoming one big Kindergarten.

I don't, I'm in Engalnd, but I'm quite surprised it's the Scots that have come out with this, rather than our own government. The UK gov seems to be doing it's best to create a totally ridiculous nanny state, where the state interferes in every little aspect of people's private lives, in order to deflect attention from their incapacity to deal with real issues.

If someone wants to stab someone in a rage, they'll do it with whatever comes to hand; there's no freakin' way I'd give up my meat cleaver, 9" filleting knife, or indeed even the machete we use to chop melons/ firewood, legislation or not. Even if this were to become some sort of law (which I doubt it will, as most Scots are quite sensible, reasonable people, and their public are probably ridiculing this as much as we are), surely it would be unenforceable, as people would still have "stockpiles" and "caches" of these deadly weapons in homes across the land!

Personally I think they'd be better off banning alcohol, which I'd imagine plays just as great a part in the murder statistics!  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/28/05 at 11:53 am

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=579102005

I don't even know what to say.

That's OK, I'll go out in the shed and slice my roast beef with my circular saw!
:D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/28/05 at 11:54 am

This is just too stupid for words.

Well hell, whilst were at it let's ban Cars, you could hop in to one and mow somebody down, better ban jars as well, i dropped one on my foot this morning, i could just as easily have thrown it at somebody.

What say we build a big wall around scotland made out of cotton wool.

I thought us southerners were supposed to be the soft morons. ;D

Shut up and eat yer...grits?
;)

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/28/05 at 2:27 pm

Shut up and eat yer...grits?
;)

Och Aye Nae Ye Wee Ponce. 'Tis Glass we Be Eaaatin Up Heyar

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/28/05 at 2:50 pm

Och Aye Nae Ye Wee Ponce. 'Tis Glass we Be Eaaatin Up Heyar

Better switch to porridge, me laddie, soon teeth won't be allowed in Glasgow.  Too much injurious biting during brawls.  You'll have to have 'em all pulled out.  Not that Brits have any teeth left by the age of 21 anyway!

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/28/05 at 2:53 pm

Better switch to porridge, me laddie, soon teeth won't be allowed in Glasgow.  Too much injurious biting during brawls.  You'll have to have 'em all pulled out.  Not that Brits have any teeth left by the age of 21 anyway!

Mandatory removal of all digits as well.. you could poke somebody ye know.

Hey! I'll have you know that most people can make it to 25 with all of the teeth left.

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/28/05 at 4:58 pm

I have a collection of really old knives - they were my grandfather's, passed down to my father (who was, for a time, a chef).  They are non-stainless steel.  I keep them rust free and VERY sharp.  Two of the French knives have 18 inch blades (great for cutting veggies, slicing that roast beef, or carving a turkey).  Only once was I tempted to use one or 2 of them on a human being - the night some SOB molested my daughte, and my thought was to castrate the guyr.  My Ex stopped me.  While the cops were interviewing us, I was very tempted to rip off one of their guns.  Which would have done more damage faster?

Check for new replies or respond here...