» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Is the cult of Ana inevitable?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/05 at 1:55 pm

http://www.masslive.com/newsflash/national/index.ssf?/base/national-5/1117472307129040.xml&storylist=national&thispage=1

You may have heard of the "Ana," a quasi-cult mostly made up of girls and young women who embrace eating disorders such as anorexia nervousa.
There is more to anorexia than just being thin.  Teenage women often employ anorexia as a source control in their lives.  However, the extant reason for becoming anorexic is to lose weight.  It is to obtain the ideal body image portrayed in commercial media.
Psychologists and medical professionals have been grappling with the anorexia problem for decades.  There are clinics in ever state of the union dedicated to such eating disorders.
And yet, the skinny fetish of American pop culture has only gotten worse and worse since the '80s.  Teenagers are bombarded with emaciated models in magazines, on television, in the cinema, and on billboards.  They're everywhere.  A female actor of normal body proportions is rarely the star of anything.  In conjunction with the "no fat chicks" attitude from their simian male peers who can't think for themselves, the message couldn't be stronger: fat is bad.  What is fat?  Fat is anything that is not emaciated.

The skinny girl is already an archetype of worship in our degenerate culture.  Is it any wonder young women have taken it to the next step and started a skinny religion?  "Ana" is pretty close to Christianity already: lots of shame about who you are, and ideals for goodness you can never reach!

Subject: Re: Is the cult of Ana inevitable?

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/30/05 at 2:42 pm

http://www.masslive.com/newsflash/national/index.ssf?/base/national-5/1117472307129040.xml&storylist=national&thispage=1

You may have heard of the "Ana," a quasi-cult mostly made up of girls and young women who embrace eating disorders such as anorexia nervousa.
There is more to anorexia than just being thin.  Teenage women often employ anorexia as a source control in their lives.  However, the extant reason for becoming anorexic is to lose weight.  It is to obtain the ideal body image portrayed in commercial media.
Psychologists and medical professionals have been grappling with the anorexia problem for decades.  There are clinics in ever state of the union dedicated to such eating disorders.
And yet, the skinny fetish of American pop culture has only gotten worse and worse since the '80s.  Teenagers are bombarded with emaciated models in magazines, on television, in the cinema, and on billboards.  They're everywhere.  A female actor of normal body proportions is rarely the star of anything.  In conjunction with the "no fat chicks" attitude from their simian male peers who can't think for themselves, the message couldn't be stronger: fat is bad.  What is fat?  Fat is anything that is not emaciated.

The skinny girl is already an archetype of worship in our degenerate culture.  Is it any wonder young women have taken it to the next step and started a skinny religion?  "Ana" is pretty close to Christianity already: lots of shame about who you are, and ideals for goodness you can never reach!

Sick, sicker, sickest...going, going, gone...DEAD.  Personally, I prefere voluptuous women.  Just not obese.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/30/05 at 3:25 pm

This is just wrong......  ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 06/01/05 at 4:54 pm

Makes you wanna scream. Slow starvation of someone you love. I would bet dollars to donuts that the
people who run these websites eat very well on the profits of their websites that encourage young girls
to slowly die. >:(

Written By: McDonald on 06/01/05 at 11:49 pm

Donuts? Giiirl, those go right to your thighs!

That was seriously tasteless.

Yeah, when I was in high school, my TV/Film program buddies and I used to go to the pro-ana sites and have a tasteless laugh. I remember one of their inspirational slogans... "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels."

???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/02/05 at 1:32 am

Donuts? Giiirl, those go right to your thighs!

That was seriously tasteless.

Yeah, when I was in high school, my TV/Film program buddies and I used to go to the pro-ana sites and have a tasteless laugh. I remember one of their inspirational slogans... "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels."

???

On the other side of the coin, you have groups such a NAAFA--fat acceptance groups--which also send dangerous messages. 
I believe in weight acceptance.  If a person tends to the endomorphic shape, they shouldn't be harangued all the time to be skinny.  However, some of the self-described "fat acceptance" groups encourage the maintenance of morbid obesity which can be is as dangerous as anorexia.
http://www.naafa.org/

Check for new replies or respond here...