» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Canadian Murderess Being Released Today

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/02/05 at 5:33 pm

Karla Homolka, the Canadian woman who plead guilty to sex-related murders of two teenage girls in 1993, allegedly committed under duress from her husband, will be released from an institution after cutting a deal to testify against her husband, Paul Bernardo in exchange for a lighter sentence which ended today. She would also not be charged with killing her 15-year-old sister, who choked on her own vomit while these animals raped her. She must be thankful that she doesn't live in the States, because she (and her husband) would have been cut up in prison by now. And what do the murdered girls' families get for their trouble? The shaft by the Canadian "justice" system. I hope the trash that Karla married suffers the rest of his life in prison. That's still more than what his victims got.  >:(

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050602/ap_on_re_ca/canada_homolka

Subject: Re: Canadian Murderess Being Released Today

Written By: danootaandme on 06/02/05 at 5:44 pm

She should rot.  I cannot understand her getting out, and what is with her family wanting her?  I know family
ties are strong, but the dynamics here are way to out of whack for it to be a healthy thing for anyone.
If I was one of the rape victims I would have serious issues with what is happening, and if I was homolka I would definitely watch my back.

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/02/05 at 5:51 pm

Apparently, the Canadian system is more liberal than the US Court system where we do have our share of plea bargains, but no to this extent.
Another article says that Karla's dad is not ready to renew his parental relationship with her because of what she and his son-in-law did to his youngest girl. I say just as well. If she does commit another crime, here's hoping the punishment finally fits the crime.
She should rot.  I cannot understand her getting out, and what is with her family wanting her?  I know family
ties are strong, but the dynamics here are way to out of whack for it to be a healthy thing for anyone.
If I was one of the rape victims I would have serious issues with what is happening, and if I was homolka I would definitely watch my back.

Written By: whitewolf on 06/02/05 at 8:36 pm

her actual release date is July 5.

I agree that she should rot for what she did, she even tried to say that her husband forced her to participate in the rapes and murders. I don't know how her mother stood by her during the trial.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/02/05 at 10:15 pm

I'll bet she won't kill anybody else, but it's a wager I'd rather not make!
::)
Let her rot in prison....or thrive in prison, I don't care either way!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/03/05 at 10:12 am

It's gets better..... they are making a movie about the killings...  ::)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424938/maindetails

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/05 at 12:51 pm

On similar lines, here's a guy who killed his girlfriend with a hammer 23 years ago.  He's getting off on a technicality!
http://www.masslive.com/newsflash/national/index.ssf?/base/national-45/1117805249247180.xml&storylist=national
::)

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/03/05 at 3:50 pm

While I understand the desire for vengance, I tend to look at this woman as a victim rather than a monster.  What she did was clearly reprehensible - no question - but from the little I have read, it looks like her husband was the real perp.  Seems to me that justice should be one part vengance, 2 parts humility, and 3 parts compassion in cases like this.  I could be wrong.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/03/05 at 4:05 pm

While I understand the desire for vengance, I tend to look at this woman as a victim rather than a monster.  What she did was clearly reprehensible - no question - but from the little I have read, it looks like her husband was the real perp.  Seems to me that justice should be one part vengance, 2 parts humility, and 3 parts compassion in cases like this.  I could be wrong.

I feel for people who are psychologically bullied into reprehensible acts, but at the same time I feel that
at some point when the acts become so bad then personal responsibility has to be acknowledged. 

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/03/05 at 4:18 pm

I feel for people who are psychologically bullied into reprehensible acts, but at the same time I feel that
at some point when the acts become so bad then personal responsibility has to be acknowledged. 

I agree, and how many years did she spend in jail?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/05 at 5:42 pm

I agree, and how many years did she spend in jail?

Wasn't it about ten or twelve years?  I'm not into vengeance, but justice and safety yes! 
If they released Pam Smart, for instance, she might return to life as a model citizen.  On the other hand, she might be a total sociopath.  She didn't kill anybody, she just plied a fifteen year old idiot with sex to get him to kill her husband.  Who knows what she's capable of?
Incarceration as punishment is a fairly new phenomenon in human history.  The merits of it are sociologically and philosophically debatable.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/05/05 at 3:33 pm

The only appropriate punishment for this piece of scum is a bullet through her head.  >:(

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/05/05 at 5:08 pm

The only appropriate punishment for this piece of scum is a bullet through her head.  >:(

This, I think, is a bit forgiving.  Its quick and done.  Why not tie her down, cut off her breasts, draw and quarter her, and place her body parts on spikes at the entrance to Toronto?  Oh, I forgot.  Canadians are (+/-) human beings (no offence at the +/- you have your wierdoos too).

Written By: McDonald on 06/07/05 at 1:14 am

This quote sounds like something to have come right out of my dad's mouth... and he's from Montréal.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/07/05 at 2:10 am

This, I think, is a bit forgiving.  Its quick and done.  Why not tie her down, cut off her breasts,

Alright, but only if I get to lick the knife!
:P

Written By: limblifter on 06/07/05 at 1:05 pm

What this woman did with her husband can never be made up with twelve years in prison. And by all accounts, she was really living it up there. This woman is planning on moving 5 minutes away from me. And I can tell you right now, there is no way in he!! she will be able to lead a normal life.

This woman is so coniving that she even went ahead and requested that her court appearances be in french only. Just so the media and her victims families in Ontario would have a hard time keeping up.

I still cannot believe that the province only gave her twelve years just so she would testify against her husband. I think the prosecuters should be dragged through the streets right along with her.

Written By: Marian on 06/08/05 at 9:21 pm

I read she cut her hair and dyed it black,in case you want to watch out for her.

Written By: whitewolf on 07/05/05 at 7:29 am

she is out, and trying to get a ban on the media covering where she is. she said that she is scared that someone will try and kill her.

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1120472902514_13?hub=topstories

Written By: Carrie on 07/05/05 at 2:08 pm

There is really nothing anyone can do about her release, she served her time. In 12 years hopefully she has changed. I highly doubt she will commit a crime similar to that again. Hopefully in the 12 years she was in prison she got some psychiatric help that she obviously needed and will continue to as part of her release.

Check for new replies or respond here...