» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Why do so many people seem disgusted by obese people?

Written By: whitewolf on 06/02/05 at 8:29 pm

On every message board I have been on, people have put down and laughed at obese people.

Why?

I am an overweight (though not obese) person myself, but I do know people who are obese, and extremely obese. They are very nice people, which most of them have tried to lose weight. In most of the cases of people I know is low metablism or thyroid problems.

Subject: Re: Why are so many people disgusted by obese people?

Written By: Carrie on 06/02/05 at 8:31 pm

On every message board I have been on, people have put down and laughed at obese people.

Why?

People are jerks sometimes... I don't know what else to say. I think it is rude as well.

Subject: Re: Why do so many people seem disgusted by obese people?

Written By: Everlong on 06/02/05 at 9:49 pm

I don't know, I guess it would be the same idea as being disgusted with people that smoke.  They're ruining their health, but they don't seem to take control over it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/02/05 at 9:55 pm

While I've never been obese, I also know people who are overweight.  And, I honestly have to say that I DO get disgusted when I'm at a restaurant or the grocery store and there's an obese person eating (or buying) absolute crap.  I listen to hubby complain all the time that he needs to lose weight, but he doesn't do anything about it.  He comes home from work, sits his butt on the couch and eats Doritos or BBQ chips.  I've tried buying the "baked" ones that are at least a little bit healthier, but he "doesn't like them" and trying to get him to go for walks around the neighborhood at night, but we've yet to go. ::)

When you're in a restaurant or a grocery store, you'll be happier if you don't make it your business what anybody else buys!

There's overweight, obese, and morbidly obese.  Obese people are so common here in the U.S., I don't find them remarkable.  I don't know why they are overweight and I don't make it my business to speculate.  Our commercial culture does not push fitness, it pushes vanity and insecurity.  You can always pick on yourself for not losing a few pounds or feel envious of twenty year olds with flat abdomens.  It helps sell related products and services, you see.  
A lot of people seem to get off on judging overweight people.  You know the dumb lines about "personal responsibility," and "they could lose weight if they tried," and so forth.
Sometimes I feel instinctively repelled when I see a morbidly obese person.  It's just a reaction, like the kind of reaction one has when one sees a person with a missing limb, or a severe burn scars.  We as adults are obliged not to mistreat people who are physically disadvantaged in any way.  We must teach children not to react outwardly with the animalistic instinct to reject people who somehow don't look "right."  That's a darwinist herd mentality we as humans no longer need.

Everlong wrote: I don't know, I guess it would be the same idea as being disgusted with people that smoke.  They're ruining their health, but they don't seem to take control over it.
See, that's exactly what I'm on about.  You don't REALLY know whether or not they can control their weight, and even if they can, it helps nothing for you to view them with contempt.  Obesity is not analogous to smoking, either.  Smoking a cigarette is a voluntary act, even when the person is addicted.  The act of smoking is situational, the condition of obesity is not.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/02/05 at 9:57 pm

I never make fun of fat people...except for Rosie and a few others that are idiots. I share crazymoms opinion though. I also get tired of hearing them whine about being made fun of as they stuff another Big Mac in thier face. If they REALLY cared about themselves they'd stop whining and get some help!

Written By: whitewolf on 06/02/05 at 10:08 pm

Personally I have been getting disgusted with people on here posting rude remarks about overweight people.

as I said I am "fat" I am about 30 pounds overweight. I don't buy junk all the time. except pepsi.
The doctors have told me that my problem is that I don't eat enough, I only eat once a day sometimes I go 2 or 3 days without eating. the doctors said that my body "thinks" it is being starved so when I do eat. the food gets stored as fat for later.
Problem is I am disgusted with all food and can't force myself to eat, I don't enjoy eating at all. I only eat to keep myself going.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/02/05 at 10:08 pm

I never make fun of fat people...except for Rosie and a few others that are idiots. I share crazymoms opinion though. I also get tired of hearing them whine about being made fun of as they stuff another Big Mac in thier face. If they REALLY cared about themselves they'd stop whining and get some help!

So it's OK to make fun of another person's physical characteristics if you don't like them?  Great!  Furthermore, RnR Fan & Crazymom,  if you don't like to hear fat people talk about their problems, get Discman with big ol' headphones.  Make a CD of yourself talking about what a terrific and flawless person YOU are and play the CD as soon as fatty-fatty-two-by-four starts bellyaching!
::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/02/05 at 10:20 pm

So it's OK to make fun of another person's physical characteristics if you don't like them?  Great!  Furthermore, RnR Fan & Crazymom,  if you don't like to hear fat people talk about their problems, get Discman with big ol' headphones.  Make a CD of yourself talking about what a terrific and flawless person YOU are and play the CD as soon as fatty-fatty-two-by-four starts bellyaching!
::)
Aw lighten up Max! Geez...I don't like Rosie for her being a hypocrite. I am far from perfect...but I don't go around whining about being FAT as I cram fat-food in my face! My girlfriend once weighed over 430 pounds because she was depressed...she had surgery and dropped to 160 in just over a year. Instead of whining about being fat she did something positive...see THAT is my point....be positive and TRY to be a better person rather than wallowing in self-pity and blaming fast food restaraunts in idiotic lawsuits,  being fat!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/02/05 at 10:25 pm

Personally I have been getting disgusted with people on here posting rude remarks about overweight people.

as I said I am "fat" I am about 30 pounds overweight. I don't buy junk all the time. except pepsi.
The doctors have told me that my problem is that I don't eat enough, I only eat once a day sometimes I go 2 or 3 days without eating. the doctors said that my body "thinks" it is being starved so when I do eat. the food gets stored as fat for later.
Problem is I am disgusted with all food and can't force myself to eat, I don't enjoy eating at all. I only eat to keep myself going.
You don't blame others for your problem though. I respect you for trying to get help and being positive.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/02/05 at 10:27 pm

It's not at all how people LOOK...it's simply about how they ACT ;)

Written By: Everlong on 06/03/05 at 12:46 am

See, that's exactly what I'm on about.  You don't REALLY know whether or not they can control their weight, and even if they can, it helps nothing for you to view them with contempt.  Obesity is not analogous to smoking, either.  Smoking a cigarette is a voluntary act, even when the person is addicted.  The act of smoking is situational, the condition of obesity is not.

I'm not saying that there aren't exceptions, because obviously, there are many.  But otherwise, how does a person of a normal body chemistry, etc, get overweight?  By eating too much or eating things that have too much fat- which is all voluntary.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/05 at 1:16 am

Aw lighten up Max! Geez...I don't like Rosie for her being a hypocrite. I am far from perfect...but I don't go around whining about being FAT as I cram fat-food in my face! My girlfriend once weighed over 430 pounds because she was depressed...she had surgery and dropped to 160 in just over a year. Instead of whining about being fat she did something positive...see THAT is my point....be positive and TRY to be a better person rather than wallowing in self-pity and blaming fast food restaraunts in idiotic lawsuits,  being fat!

I don't like Rosie either, but isn't she utterly inconsequential? 
Maybe you don't realize it, but your rationalizations are dripping with hostility.

Written By: goodsin on 06/03/05 at 5:24 am

I've no real problem with people being overweight, unless they're taking up half my seat when sat next to me on a bus or train (I do object to this, as I pay for a whole seat, and they are only paying for one seat, so why should they share mine?).

The majority of my female colleagues have issues with their weight; it started with open discussions amongst the more overweight people in the department, but has now spread to people whom are not seriously overweight- it's almost like 'negative body image' has spread like a virus. I find this disturbing- often, males are blamed for females having this 'negative body image', but it looks like peer pressure amongst these females is the driving force in this case. What is more alarming is that it's quite clear that some of the more overweight people have compulsion issues with food, and are 'trickling down' their diet advice to those less overweight, which I don't think is appropriate; these compulsive eaters seem to avoid eating less & taking excercise as a weight-loss solution, and tend towards medication & faddy diets, none of which ever work. (The girl who sits behind me is around 1.5 times her body weight for her height & build, she takes fat-reduction pills, which she feels will allow her to eat twice as much fat & not gain any weight, defeating the object.) Obviously there are physiological reasons why people are overweight, but there seems to be very little help available in the UK for those who have psychological issues with their weight- I predict UK obesity levels will continue to rise at an alarming rate until this issue is addressed.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/03/05 at 7:40 am

Ok...I can understand both sides of the argument(R&R fans vs Maxwells)....Mark...you say that people should do something positive about their being overweight...and I am all for that, but not everybody has the luxury of getting the gastric bypass operation (aka stomach staple), as the majority of people either don't have medical insurance, or the coverage they do have does not allow such operations as these.  I am not saying that this operation is a product of the wave of a magic wand, but yes, it does allow severely overweight people the chance of being a "normal" size once again.  I know several people who have undergone this operation, and the thing that kinda makes me mad is that these individuals were the ones who lliterally found nothing wrong with consuming an entire pizza by themselves, and now....thanks to medical breakthroughs....they can become the thin person by getting a procedure done.
Here's my situation....I am also an overweight person....I have NEVER been thin...all my life I have been either chubby, pleasantly plump, or overweight...but you see, I am not the "typical" overweight person when it comes to my eating habits, etc.  I, like whitewolf, don't eat enough food...I also eat about 1-2 times a day because I am often sick to my stomach...and the sight of food doesn't help any.  When I wake up in the morning I can't eat...too sick.....sometimes I "forget" to eat lunch because I get wrapped up in doing things.....I also am not the "lazy type that sits in front of the TV chomping on munchies 24/7".  Over the years I have participated in different forms of exercise and activity....and yes, about 6 years ago I was able to lose about 40 lbs....but it was the most difficult thing I have ever done....not because of the usual difficulties of attempting to lose weight (ex. wanting to eat food, not wanting to exercise, etc)...but because it seemed like no matter what I did...it seemed nearly impossible to lose hardly any weight.  In order for me to lose the 40 lbs that I did...I had to literally become obsessed with exercise (sometimes walk/running) 3 and 4 times a day...and doing 1000 (yes I said 1000) stomach crunches per day..etc.  I was tested for a thyroid problem (which I am almost positive that I have, because I have 99% of the given hypothyroidism symptoms)....but the test came back ok. I was told that there are more extensive tests that can be administered, however, when one doesn't have medical insurance...it's kinda hard to be able to go for extensive testing of any kind.
It's not that I get disgusted by seeing someone who is morbidly overweight, merely because they are big, I just get mad because those are the types that give overweight people like me, a very bad name. It seems as though society lumps all "fat" people together into one category, assuming that they are all "big pigs who can't escape the clutches of junk food and television"....but in reality, there are lots of us who eat less than your average "thin" person does.  It is very disconcerting being the "fat" person.  Individuals who have never been overweight DO NOT know how it feels at all to be overweight.  Your entire life is hindered in a way being overweight...people look at you differently, it's harder to find nice clothes, and summertime is a witch.......a lot of people would say, "well if you don't like it..then do something about it"......well coming from a girl that has tried and tried, repeatidly to lose the weight....it's not as easy as it would seem.
So...the next time you see someone in a store, or out in public who is overweight...instead of judging them for their weight, consider the fact that they have feelings and underneath the "fat" they are the same as you and me.

sorry for the rambling......I tend to get carried away sometimes...

Erin :)

Written By: goodsin on 06/03/05 at 10:17 am

Over the years I have participated in different forms of exercise and activity....and yes, about 6 years ago I was able to lose about 40 lbs....but it was the most difficult thing I have ever done....not because of the usual difficulties of attempting to lose weight (ex. wanting to eat food, not wanting to exercise, etc)...but because it seemed like no matter what I did...it seemed nearly impossible to lose hardly any weight.  In order for me to lose the 40 lbs that I did...I had to literally become obsessed with exercise (sometimes walk/running) 3 and 4 times a day...and doing 1000 (yes I said 1000) stomach crunches per day..etc. 

I've read somewhere that you'd need to run 50 miles to lose 1lbs of body fat, so exercise is definitely a hard way to lose weight. Some of the girls in my office attend a gym 3 times weekly, go swimming etc, but it still seems that, without a healthy eating program, weight loss is very difficult. I should add that I am now overweight, but I know the cause of my weight gain- too much drinking, rich food & lack of exercise in both my home & work life. In the UK, there seems to be less pressure on males to conform to a certain body ideal than women, therefore male weight gain is not looked at as negatively as female; I never feel uncomfortable with my size, in fact I used to get far more negative comments when I was 3 stone lighter!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/05 at 12:10 pm

I feel that I am lucky. I eat just about anything I want (more and more junk the older and older I get). I can really pack away food-and do. In fact, I eat more than Carlos. I have been accused of having hollow legs.  But, I am trim-not skinny. In fact, I do have a few extra lbs that I wouldn't mind losing. But, I also know people who even looks at chocolate and gains 5 lbs. Me, I eat 5 lbs of chocolate and don't really gain much.

As for exersize, I really don't as much as I should. I do feel guilty because I know there are people who struggle with their weight and I am basically on a "seafood diet" (I eat all the food I see) and I don't have to worry.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/03/05 at 12:12 pm

I feel that I am lucky. I eat just about anything I want (more and more junk the older and older I get). I can really pack away food-and do. In fact, I eat more than Carlos. I have been accused of having hollow legs.  But, I am trim-not skinny. In fact, I do have a few extra lbs that I wouldn't mind losing. But, I also know people who even looks at chocolate and gains 5 lbs. Me, I eat 5 lbs of chocolate and don't really gain much.

As for exersize, I really don't as much as I should. I do feel guilty because I know there are people who struggle with their weight and I am basically on a "seafood diet" (I eat all the food I see) and I don't have to worry.  :-\\

Cat

Whahhhh  Go Cat Go....I love chocolate too and thankfully don't put on weight easily.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/03/05 at 12:45 pm

I've never said I was flawless, but when I hear someone comment on how SKINNY I am and how I must not eat (or I must vomit when they see me eating) while they're working on a nice big piece of chocolate cake, it DOES annoy me.  It's just as offensive that people make assumptions about me being skinny as it it about someone else being fat, but it's wrong for ME to complain about THAT.  I try to work out and eat right to keep myself healthy.  When someone comes to me who is morbidly obese, complaining about how their legs hurt after standing for any (even short) length of time, their high blood pressure or their diabetes, ask me how I stay so skinny, then proceed to shove twinkies down their throat, then THEY are choosing to involve me.  If they want to buy eat crap, then they shouldn't come bitching to me about being overweight.

I have family members who are obese and I'm no different towards them and their poor habits than I would be anyone off the street.  If anything, I'm LESS judgmental about people I don't know because I DON'T know why they're like they are.  I realize there are people with thyroid problems and the like, but noone's going to get any sympathy from me when they sit and complain that they're so fat but aren't willing to do anything about it.

I realize that it's possible to be overweight and healthy, but I'm talking about obese and morbidly obese people.  I carried an extra 30-40 lbs for a long time and it took a long time to lose it, but I worked my butt off to do it.  Since I did, my blood pressure has gone back down (it was borderline high) and I feel better overall.
I was trying to say that as well. It's not obese people that bother me, it's when they whine about being so fat while they don't even try to lose it.

Ok...I can understand both sides of the argument(R&R fans vs Maxwells)....Mark...you say that people should do something positive about their being overweight...and I am all for that, but not everybody has the luxury of getting the gastric bypass operation (aka stomach staple), as the majority of people either don't have medical insurance, or the coverage they do have does not allow such operations as these.  I am not saying that this operation is a product of the wave of a magic wand, but yes, it does allow severely overweight people the chance of being a "normal" size once again.  I know several people who have undergone this operation, and the thing that kinda makes me mad is that these individuals were the ones who lliterally found nothing wrong with consuming an entire pizza by themselves, and now....thanks to medical breakthroughs....they can become the thin person by getting a procedure done.
Here's my situation....I am also an overweight person....I have NEVER been thin...all my life I have been either chubby, pleasantly plump, or overweight...but you see, I am not the "typical" overweight person when it comes to my eating habits, etc.  I, like whitewolf, don't eat enough food...I also eat about 1-2 times a day because I am often sick to my stomach...and the sight of food doesn't help any.  When I wake up in the morning I can't eat...too sick.....sometimes I "forget" to eat lunch because I get wrapped up in doing things.....I also am not the "lazy type that sits in front of the TV chomping on munchies 24/7".  Over the years I have participated in different forms of exercise and activity....and yes, about 6 years ago I was able to lose about 40 lbs....but it was the most difficult thing I have ever done....not because of the usual difficulties of attempting to lose weight (ex. wanting to eat food, not wanting to exercise, etc)...but because it seemed like no matter what I did...it seemed nearly impossible to lose hardly any weight.  In order for me to lose the 40 lbs that I did...I had to literally become obsessed with exercise (sometimes walk/running) 3 and 4 times a day...and doing 1000 (yes I said 1000) stomach crunches per day..etc.  I was tested for a thyroid problem (which I am almost positive that I have, because I have 99% of the given hypothyroidism symptoms)....but the test came back ok. I was told that there are more extensive tests that can be administered, however, when one doesn't have medical insurance...it's kinda hard to be able to go for extensive testing of any kind.
It's not that I get disgusted by seeing someone who is morbidly overweight, merely because they are big, I just get mad because those are the types that give overweight people like me, a very bad name. It seems as though society lumps all "fat" people together into one category, assuming that they are all "big pigs who can't escape the clutches of junk food and television"....but in reality, there are lots of us who eat less than your average "thin" person does.  It is very disconcerting being the "fat" person.  Individuals who have never been overweight DO NOT know how it feels at all to be overweight.  Your entire life is hindered in a way being overweight...people look at you differently, it's harder to find nice clothes, and summertime is a witch.......a lot of people would say, "well if you don't like it..then do something about it"......well coming from a girl that has tried and tried, repeatidly to lose the weight....it's not as easy as it would seem.
So...the next time you see someone in a store, or out in public who is overweight...instead of judging them for their weight, consider the fact that they have feelings and underneath the "fat" they are the same as you and me.

sorry for the rambling......I tend to get carried away sometimes...

I worked for years at Goodwill and had many people I worked with who were overweight. They were nice people and I was a ctually able to help them through just treating them like I would like to be treated. They didn't workout but they also didn't complain or ever comment on me being so in shape. I meant NO offese to anyone and will definately defend my position about the ones who whine...just as anybody who whine about anything all the time...It's not always about overweight people. Erin, I didn't think you were rambling at all and I appreciate what you had to say.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/03/05 at 12:50 pm

I don't like Rosie either, but isn't she utterly inconsequential? 
Maybe you don't realize it, but your rationalizations are dripping with hostility.
My rationalizations are dripping with hostility? Why, because I don't like hearing people whine whether they're overweight or not. Because my girlfriend had surgery and lost weight? Because I worked with many overweight people for years and we all got along just fine because they didn't whine while they were stuffing thier faces with fried chicken??

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/03/05 at 4:17 pm

There are a few things to consider.

To answer the wquestion, I think people are "disgusted" by the obese for both genetic and cultural reasons.  Genetically, I think we are disposed to look for favorable mates.  That is to say good bearers and good providers.  The  obese, for reasons looking at both genders, are neither.  Culturally, we are bomvarded with images suggesting that "thin is good" (check out the Ana" thread). 

Now, seems to me that people get fat for mumerous reasons.  My first wife had a bout with asthma, and was given cortizone, she ballooned, and loosing that weight was VERY difficult.  We had a freind who was very heavy.  She had her tummy tucked, but then proceeded to eat a half gallon of ice cream every night - guess what?  Poor peolpe, who can't afford a healthy  diet (I once knew a woman who at laundry starch as a substitute for potato(e for Dan)s tend to be obese.

But I must say that as I sit out on the patio of Leavenworth Hall smoking a cigarette between classes and see a young woman who's belly hangs down below her genitals, well, lets just say I'm not turned on.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/05 at 5:46 pm

My rationalizations are dripping with hostility? Why, because I don't like hearing people whine whether they're overweight or not. Because my girlfriend had surgery and lost weight? Because I worked with many overweight people for years and we all got along just fine because they didn't whine while they were stuffing thier faces with fried chicken??

Yes!  Dude, consider the tone of your rhetoric!  Are you blind to it?

Subject: Re: Why are so many people disgusted by obese people?

Written By: Apricot on 06/03/05 at 5:50 pm

People are jerks sometimes... I don't know what else to say. I think it is rude as well.

Yeah, people are jerks. I was slightly overweight once {although that was stopped rather quickly}.. but only one person ever said anything, who I never found out about until I was told by the next person say anything... the last too. But it's not a good feeling... even if it's not said, when it's implied, it sucks. I don't know why someone would be mean to someone for weight.. It's just been such a "time-honored" {for lack of a better word} tradition to hate the obese, I guess.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/05 at 5:55 pm

There are a few things to consider.

To answer the wquestion, I think people are "disgusted" by the obese for both genetic and cultural reasons.  Genetically, I think we are disposed to look for favorable mates.  That is to say good bearers and good providers.  The  obese, for reasons looking at both genders, are neither.  Culturally, we are bomvarded with images suggesting that "thin is good" (check out the Ana" thread). 

Now, seems to me that people get fat for mumerous reasons.  My first wife had a bout with asthma, and was given cortizone, she ballooned, and loosing that weight was VERY difficult.  We had a freind who was very heavy.  She had her tummy tucked, but then proceeded to eat a half gallon of ice cream every night - guess what?  Poor peolpe, who can't afford a healthy  diet (I once knew a woman who at laundry starch as a substitute for potato(e for Dan)s tend to be obese.

But I must say that as I sit out on the patio of Leavenworth Hall smoking a cigarette between classes and see a young woman who's belly hangs down below her genitals, well, lets just say I'm not turned on.

There are some men with a fat fetish, but not many.  
But you make a good point.  My ex-girlfriend had a myriad of psychiatric problems (I've had a few who have!) and had to take anti-psychotic medications.  These can really mess with your metabolism.  She ballooned up and struggled to keep her weight down, but it was simply impossible for her to get "thin" again.
Obesity among poor people often reflects depression and despair.  They use food for comfort.  Some people just don't know any better.
Women who have been sexually assaulted often gain weight out of a psychological need for a barrier of protection.
I have one sister with a thyroid condition.  She's eats very healthfully and strictly limits her intake of fats and sugars.  She also exercises daily, and goes to Weight Watchers.  She's 43 and still plump.  Just the way it goes.
There are many reasons why people get fat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/05 at 6:50 pm

For some strange reason, most of my female friends are over-weight. I don't know why that is. I don't choose my friends because of their weight, height, color of their skin, religion, or politics. I choose my friends because of WHO they are-not WHAT they are.

Cat

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/03/05 at 6:58 pm

No, Max, I think he has a point. Not all gluttons are obese. In fact, the ones who complain the most about their weight are the so-called "thin" people. Bulimics are more offensive to me because they make fun of the obese, then go to the lavatory to throw up. (And don't call that a "disorder". That is evil in any form.)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/03/05 at 10:19 pm

Ok...here's another thing that P I S S E S me off!!! If you are obviously a thin person...than PLEASE....save us "fat" people the grief of hearing, "oh I am sooooo fat"....I get so sick of hearing that from people who have NEVER been overweight their entire life.  The reason I am stating this tonight is that this evening I was up at my grandmothers for her birthday party....and my grandma is in her late 70's..but she has always been very stylish and kept herself looking alot younger than usual...she looks no older than 60 or so. She has never been what you would call "fat"....years ago she had a few extra pounds on her.....but over the years, and due to medical conditions (cancer) she has lost a lot of weight and now she is very thin.  Well..tonight she was standing there complaining about how "fat she is" and that none of her clothes from last year fit her the way she wants them to fit.  I was already in a somewhat depressed mood this evening, and to hear those words utter from her mouth...it took all I had for me not to speak up and let a few smart remarks come out regarding her utterings.
People who are thin, who have especially always been thin....PLEASE...do not go around acting like you are a beached whale...because chances are....you were never fat and you will never BE fat...AND...you have NO idea what it feels like to be overweight.  If you are thin, be happy that you have been blessed with a good body....don't make every overweight person in the room feel like they are on the lines of looking like The Blob.  I often think....if THEY think that they are fat...what the H E L L do they think I am then??  It really hurts me when people do that...and I know it's not usually intentional on their part...but it really rubs me the wrong way.  I was NOT blessed with being thin, and it's always been SO difficult for me to lose barely any weight...so to hear things like that...it's very hurtful to me.  Believe it or not...there are worse things in the world than being overweight.....I hear people ranting about it on a daily basis (people who have no right ranting about it)....and they always overlook the fact that there are "fat" people all around them who are hearing things like, "ooooo I am soooo fat....I am actually in a size 5", and "oh, if I get to be that size, I might as well die"....those things are horrible to hear. It makes you feel like you have a plague or something.....
again..sorry for ranting on...I am just having a bad night...and my grandma's comment really hit me wrong this evening.

Erin `

Written By: Climber on 06/04/05 at 2:39 am

Ok...here's another thing that P I S S E S me off!!! If you are obviously a thin person...than PLEASE....save us "fat" people the grief of hearing, "oh I am sooooo fat"....I get so sick of hearing that from people who have NEVER been overweight their entire life.  The reason I am stating this tonight is that this evening I was up at my grandmothers for her birthday party....and my grandma is in her late 70's..but she has always been very stylish and kept herself looking alot younger than usual...she looks no older than 60 or so. She has never been what you would call "fat"....years ago she had a few extra pounds on her.....but over the years, and due to medical conditions (cancer) she has lost a lot of weight and now she is very thin.  Well..tonight she was standing there complaining about how "fat she is" and that none of her clothes from last year fit her the way she wants them to fit.  I was already in a somewhat depressed mood this evening, and to hear those words utter from her mouth...it took all I had for me not to speak up and let a few smart remarks come out regarding her utterings.
People who are thin, who have especially always been thin....PLEASE...do not go around acting like you are a beached whale...because chances are....you were never fat and you will never BE fat...AND...you have NO idea what it feels like to be overweight.  If you are thin, be happy that you have been blessed with a good body....don't make every overweight person in the room feel like they are on the lines of looking like The Blob.  I often think....if THEY think that they are fat...what the H E L L do they think I am then??  It really hurts me when people do that...and I know it's not usually intentional on their part...but it really rubs me the wrong way.  I was NOT blessed with being thin, and it's always been SO difficult for me to lose barely any weight...so to hear things like that...it's very hurtful to me.  Believe it or not...there are worse things in the world than being overweight.....I hear people ranting about it on a daily basis (people who have no right ranting about it)....and they always overlook the fact that there are "fat" people all around them who are hearing things like, "ooooo I am soooo fat....I am actually in a size 5", and "oh, if I get to be that size, I might as well die"....those things are horrible to hear. It makes you feel like you have a plague or something.....
again..sorry for ranting on...I am just having a bad night...and my grandma's comment really hit me wrong this evening.

Erin `

Sorry to hear that Erin.  Hopefully tomorrow is better!  :)

My sister does the same thing your grandma did.  She (my sister) looks anorexic to me, and she complains about having a fat stomach.  She's about 5' 5", weighs about 130 & says she needs to lose about 15 pounds.  When she says something, I say "Gee, thanks!  If you're fat, that must mean I'm obese then."  I won't reveal my weight, but I do need to lose about 40 pounds, which is why I'm on Weight Watchers.

Several years ago, I had the problem of being too thin.  I didn't know it at the time, but it was because my blood sugars were too high.  I didn't regulate my Diabetes very well back then.  People told me "You're too skinny.  You need to gain some weight."  May have been so, but gaining weight in a healthy way is just as hard as losing weight in a healthy way.

Written By: Dagwood on 06/04/05 at 9:36 am

Ok...here's another thing that P I S S E S me off!!! If you are obviously a thin person...than PLEASE....save us "fat" people the grief of hearing, "oh I am sooooo fat"....I get so sick of hearing that from people who have NEVER been overweight their entire life. The reason I am stating this tonight is that this evening I was up at my grandmothers for her birthday party....and my grandma is in her late 70's..but she has always been very stylish and kept herself looking alot younger than usual...she looks no older than 60 or so. She has never been what you would call "fat"....years ago she had a few extra pounds on her.....but over the years, and due to medical conditions (cancer) she has lost a lot of weight and now she is very thin. Well..tonight she was standing there complaining about how "fat she is" and that none of her clothes from last year fit her the way she wants them to fit. I was already in a somewhat depressed mood this evening, and to hear those words utter from her mouth...it took all I had for me not to speak up and let a few smart remarks come out regarding her utterings.
People who are thin, who have especially always been thin....PLEASE...do not go around acting like you are a beached whale...because chances are....you were never fat and you will never BE fat...AND...you have NO idea what it feels like to be overweight. If you are thin, be happy that you have been blessed with a good body....don't make every overweight person in the room feel like they are on the lines of looking like The Blob. I often think....if THEY think that they are fat...what the H E L L do they think I am then?? It really hurts me when people do that...and I know it's not usually intentional on their part...but it really rubs me the wrong way. I was NOT blessed with being thin, and it's always been SO difficult for me to lose barely any weight...so to hear things like that...it's very hurtful to me. Believe it or not...there are worse things in the world than being overweight.....I hear people ranting about it on a daily basis (people who have no right ranting about it)....and they always overlook the fact that there are "fat" people all around them who are hearing things like, "ooooo I am soooo fat....I am actually in a size 5", and "oh, if I get to be that size, I might as well die"....those things are horrible to hear. It makes you feel like you have a plague or something.....
Erin `

Well said.  I have been known to say "I wish I was as fat as you".  It usually shuts them up.

Written By: Carrie on 06/04/05 at 10:47 am

heehee, you missed the "try".  Most of the time, I'm like you, I'm on the go so much that I consider THAT my "workout" for the day....especially when doing laundry (20 steps each way per load X 3-4 loads).  Add that to running after a 4 year old and getting the "regular" housework done and there you go.  I borrowed a friend's pedometer one day just to see how many "steps" I took on a daily basis and was at 15000+ by 3 pm.
You are right, being a mom is a hell of a workout. I have a 10 year old (who I no longer have to chase around) and a one and a half year old who I have to chase around and pick up after all day. Plus all of the other work around the house... I don't need to exercise, that is my exercise right there!! :D

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 06/04/05 at 11:39 am

Being 30 pounds overweight is really not that bad.  That's not bad at all, and 30 pounds can be easily shed off.  You can still be relatively healthy and look good if you are only 30 pounds overweight.  I don't consider someone to be truly "fat" as in fat  unless they are more then 50 or 60 pounds overweight.  That's when you are "Big Bertha" fat or "Fat Sam".  You are definately at risk for high cholesterol and health problems if you are more then 70 pounds overweight.

And I have to believe that some of those morbidly obese people have some kind of gland problem where they simply can not control being so big and disgusting looking.   

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/04/05 at 12:34 pm

Erin `

I am guilty of claiming that I am fat but that is because of a scar that was left on me by my first husband. I was thinner than I am now and he used to tell me that I was fat. After hearing this all the time, I started to believe it. Like I said, I do have a few extra lbs on me that I would like to shed, I am pretty much comfortable with my weight. But that is because now I have someone who is constantly telling me that I am beautiful, and desireable. It really does a lot for the self-esteem.

Cat

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 06/04/05 at 2:04 pm

^I agree that if you are just a little overweight, you have no buisness complaining about "being fat".  It actually is annoying.

You need to be at least 15 pounds overweight to be allowed to publicly complain about your problem.  If you are just 5 or 10 pounds over your required weight, but you still look pretty thin and hot, it's like "oh boo hooo"

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/04/05 at 4:00 pm

What's wrong with what I JUST said???

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/04/05 at 8:19 pm

I am guilty of claiming that I am fat but that is because of a scar that was left on me by my first husband. I was thinner than I am now and he used to tell me that I was fat. After hearing this all the time, I started to believe it. Like I said, I do have a few extra lbs on me that I would like to shed, I am pretty much comfortable with my weight. But that is because now I have someone who is constantly telling me that I am beautiful, and desireable. It really does a lot for the self-esteem.

Cat

you are right Cat...it does help a LOT to have a supportive mate, who loves you for YOU! I also was in a crappy marriage (thankfully I am no longer in it) and I felt horrible about myself. My husband now always tells me that I am beautiful how I am...and that is very nice to hear.

Written By: Climber on 06/04/05 at 10:57 pm

Being 30 pounds overweight is really not that bad.  That's not bad at all, and 30 pounds can be easily shed off.  You can still be relatively healthy and look good if you are only 30 pounds overweight.  I don't consider someone to be truly "fat" as in fat  unless they are more then 50 or 60 pounds overweight.  That's when you are "Big Bertha" fat or "Fat Sam".  You are definately at risk for high cholesterol and health problems if you are more then 70 pounds overweight.

And I have to believe that some of those morbidly obese people have some kind of gland problem where they simply can not control being so big and disgusting looking.   

Being any amount overweight isn't good for your health.  And, NO IT IS NOT EASY TO SHED OFF!  You are at risk of a lot of diseases even if you are only slightly overweight.  The risk just increases the more you weigh.  Also, exercising goes a long way towards being healthy, especially when you're overweight.  They're even debating whether someone who is thin, but never exercises is healthier than someone who is fat, but exercises on a regular basis.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/05/05 at 5:42 pm

Cat

And those scars run deep.  And she is beutiful and desireable, and sexy even if she has a little bit of tummy, actually, I like her tummy.

Clearly, obese people are risking their health, and, as I said before, are, to me definitly NOT appealing.  The thing is, these Definitions of "proper weight" are +/- bogus.  There are so many variables that they should not be considered more than guildlines.  If you are active, feel good, can perform all the normal bodilly functions, etc. forget the charts.  I think the problem is that too many of us have stopped listening to our bodies.  If you like your body, feel good in it, and are in good health...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/05/05 at 7:40 pm

And those scars run deep.  And she is beutiful and desireable, and sexy even if she has a little bit of tummy, actually, I like her tummy.

:-* :-* :-*

Cat

Written By: saver on 06/06/05 at 12:57 am

When we here the US is becoming more obese..why are the product manufacturers ADDING to the problem by following the new trend of YOU GET $$off when you buy 2 of their products instead of the 1 !!!!

You know if you buy 2 ice creams(usually they are different flavors), you'll dip into each one back and forth instead of SAVING it for later.

It's the publics mentallity and the companies take advantage of it now..maybe I only want 1 box of candy to satisfy the urge! :-\\

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/11/05 at 5:01 am

I have been in my job almost 10 months now, and some of the girls who came you us last Septemeber were slim and fit - after 3 terms of school food/tuck shop treats AND ordering pizzas and curries to eat after prep at night, this  with NOT ENOUGH EXERCISE.   Four  in this house (there are 6 houses in total on campus) are now bordering on podgy/obese

Written By: Brian Damaged on 06/13/05 at 11:55 am

I've never seen such nonsense.  Not everyone who is heavy is heavy because they choose to overeat.  And even if they were, so what?  Why should anyone make fun of someone because they don't like the way they look?  And don't pretend you're angry because they're ruining their health -- you don't give a flying hoot about a stranger's health.  And don't pretend you're angry because their taxing your health system.  Unless you're a Buddhist living in Cheyene, Wyoming, don't use a car PC or cell-phone, eat a strictly organic vegetarian diet and work out 4 times a week, you're taxing my health system.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/13/05 at 1:02 pm

I've never seen such nonsense.  Not everyone who is heavy is heavy because they choose to overeat.  And even if they were, so what?  Why should anyone make fun of someone because they don't like the way they look?  And don't pretend you're angry because they're ruining their health -- you don't give a flying hoot about a stranger's health.  And don't pretend you're angry because their taxing your health system.  Unless you're a Buddhist living in Cheyene, Wyoming, don't use a car PC or cell-phone, eat a strictly organic vegetarian diet and work out 4 times a week, you're taxing my health system.

Thank you, thank you!  I couldn't have said it better myself!
:)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/13/05 at 4:28 pm

AMEN to that! I totally agree with everything you just said. I happen to be one of those "heavy people who are big but don't eat a lot"...and it hurts me whenever people make fun of anyone who is overweight.  I mean, it seems like some people are okay with making fun of overweight people but would never catch themselves making a comment to someone who happens to have a birthmark on their face, or someone who is handicapped, or someone who is different in another kind of way...because that would not be PC of them, ya know what I mean??? It's like...these certain "skinny" people who are inconvenienced by fat people have no idea what it is like to be overweight....and like you said, not everyone who is big eats alot...that's nonsense! Thank you for your comments!

Written By: Brian Damaged on 06/14/05 at 8:38 am

I'm thin, so I have lived through the other side of this for many years and it still burns me up.  This weekend, me and my partner had two other couples for dinner and we spent many hours preparing food, cleaning up the backyard, etc., are were planning to have a nice time entertaining, which we don't do much.  And my friends Joe and Mary come in, and 30 seconds in she starts in with "wow, you're looking so thin" (yeah, b***h for the 5 years you've known me, and all my life).  Which puts me in a bad mood already, but as usual, I try to take it in stride, and laugh it off.  But then later on in the evening, in front of everyone, she gives me another once over with "well, don't lose any more weight -- oh, you look fine, but... have you been working out?  You should work out."  It's bad enough putting up with "you're really thin" comments from strangers, but in my own f***** home from my friends wife after spending so much time and effort trying to be a good host?  I wanted to smack her in the mouth.

And it's not like I used to be heavy and lost weight and people have a reason to be worried that I'm sick or anything.  I have been skinny and very healthy all my life.  I am the one always bringing it up to my doctors, and they're the ones who brush it off and say "you're going to live to be 100 -- if you want to gain just to look bulkier, you could work out a lot, but I wouldn't worry about it".  I know I should be comftorble in my own body and not worry what other people think, but human beings have feelings and making fun of someone for the way they look is hurtful, and cruel and sick.

Written By: whitewolf on 06/15/05 at 9:13 am

The reason I started this thread is because of some of the comments posted lately on the board.

It is true that it goes both ways, my son was too thin for along time, now that he has gained the weight he needs (he is at a good weight now) people are telling me that he is getting too fat.

I also have a friend that was diagnosed with a thyroid problem, she has been thin all her life. Her comment was that is it causes her to gain more than 10 pounds that she would kill herself.

If she gained those 10 pounds, she would still be underweight. She got a little pissed at me when I  said that if her gaining that much makes her fat than I must look like a whale to her.

Written By: McDonald on 06/15/05 at 10:49 am

I'm thin, so I have lived through the other side of this for many years and it still burns me up.  This weekend, me and my partner had two other couples for dinner and we spent many hours preparing food, cleaning up the backyard, etc., are were planning to have a nice time entertaining, which we don't do much.  And my friends Joe and Mary come in, and 30 seconds in she starts in with "wow, you're looking so thin" (yeah, b***h for the 5 years you've known me, and all my life).  Which puts me in a bad mood already, but as usual, I try to take it in stride, and laugh it off.  But then later on in the evening, in front of everyone, she gives me another once over with "well, don't lose any more weight -- oh, you look fine, but... have you been working out?  You should work out."  It's bad enough putting up with "you're really thin" comments from strangers, but in my own f***** home from my friends wife after spending so much time and effort trying to be a good host?  I wanted to smack her in the mouth.

And it's not like I used to be heavy and lost weight and people have a reason to be worried that I'm sick or anything.  I have been skinny and very healthy all my life.  I am the one always bringing it up to my doctors, and they're the ones who brush it off and say "you're going to live to be 100 -- if you want to gain just to look bulkier, you could work out a lot, but I wouldn't worry about it".  I know I should be comftorble in my own body and not worry what other people think, but human beings have feelings and making fun of someone for the way they look is hurtful, and cruel and sick.

Dude, I totally sympathise here. I too have been very skinny my entire life, and all the time people say "gosh, you're so skinny... you need to eat." And I'm like "B****, I eat like a horse! I'm just skinny!" That's not what I say, but what I want to say sometimes. It's even worse when you're in a situation where you have to take off your shirt or something, and then EVERYBODY starts in. But they just don't get it. I can't do anything about it really, and I don't care to. I eat well, I exercise, I'm physically healthy... but I'm skinny (and very tall... 6'2"/188cm). It's cool though... I really don't care to change.

Written By: Climber on 06/15/05 at 11:25 pm

Maybe her comment had nothing to do wtih how she would look in relation to anyone else.  Maybe it had to do with having to get used to a body she doesn't recognise staring back at her from her own mirror, not knowing whether she'll be as attractive to her S.O. (if she has one) with any other body shape, worried that it might change her face,  having to replace her entire wardrobe, not knowing how best to dress any body shape other than the one she's always known, etc.   

I don't know how much your friend weighs, but I know that 10 lbs. is almost 9% of my current body weight and gaining or losing that much makes a drastic change in how I look.  If I'm off my feed for a few days due to illness and lose 10 lbs., I very much don't like the drastic changes I see in my mirror and it's disturbing to have a stranger's face staring back at me from my own mirror, I panic that I could suffer permanent damage to my internal organs  if my body continues to feed on its lean mass, I don't like that none of my clothes fit or would look good on me if they did fit -- 10 lbs. makes a big difference that has nothing to do with anyone but the person staring back at me from  my mirror.  There are girls my height who weigh less than I do -- they look fine to me... they look like themselves.

Gaining 10 lbs (that aren't just new muscle) hasn't happened as often and doesn't cause the same health panic that losing ten lbs. does, but it does also change my face drastically and it puts me between sizes so that I get to pick between wearing jeans too tight for me or too loose on me -- neither of which looks good or feels remotely comfortable... or I can go to the odd sizes, which aren't made even close to tall enough for me.  Now,  there's an attractive look, eh -- boot cut highwaters.   

Maybe what ticked her off was that she thought you trivialized her personal feelings to make it all about you.  That wasn't what you meant by it, of course, but it may have been how she took it at the time.   If she brings it up again, ignore the "kill myself" dramatics.. let her get that out of her system, she's just venting. Then, when she's done with the drama,  ask her what *really* worries her most about it, listen to her and then maybe you can help ease some of her concerns (she'll be under a doctor's care, she'll be on medication that will regulate her thyroid, etc.) or point out some of the (what she would consider) positive changes she might see in her mirror... like,  maybe she's never had a butt and you can tell her 10 lbs. might give her that fabulous butt she's always wanted or something like that.   :)   

You know, those are all good ideas.  Unfortunately, if that person is like my sister, she has low self-esteem, and could very well be anorexic.

If she gained those 10 pounds, she would still be underweight. She got a little ticked at me when I said that if her gaining that much makes her fat than I must look like a whale to her.

Written By: Snuff on 06/22/05 at 11:54 am

Unfortunately, if that person is like my sister, she has low self-esteem, and could very well be anorexic.

I knew someone who battled anorexia for a long time.. she still has bouts where she doesn't eat for days.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/24/05 at 5:45 pm

While I've never been obese, I also know people who are overweight. And, I honestly have to say that I DO get disgusted when I'm at a restaurant or the grocery store and there's an obese person eating (or buying) absolute crap. I listen to hubby complain all the time that he needs to lose weight, but he doesn't do anything about it. He comes home from work, sits his butt on the couch and eats Doritos or BBQ chips. I've tried buying the "baked" ones that are at least a little bit healthier, but he "doesn't like them" and trying to get him to go for walks around the neighborhood at night, but we've yet to go. ::)
What about those who obese because of an eating disorder? Yes it's possible to be a food addict. And it's no joke. I am in recovery from MAJOR food addiction. And it burns me up when people use the word WILLPOWER when it comes to obesity....food addicts often need LOTS more than the elusive(for a food addict)WILLPOWER! That's why there are eating disorders clinics as well as Overeaters Anonymous...But first one has to get the h*ll out of DENIAL and get the courage to seek help.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/26/05 at 7:05 pm

Anyone who thinks there is a 'magic bullet',stop eating all that junk,stop being lazy,a little WILLPOWER will work CURE is absolutely WRONG. Especially if the person has an eating disorder! Many people are food addicts...and if they do know it,and do not get help'oh I don't have an addiction'...it's called DENIAL. And a food addict will NOT get help as long as they stay in DENIAL...It's taken me many years...and many health problems...to admit to food addiction and get help via a stay in an Oklahoma rehab and OA Online...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/27/05 at 6:08 am

Anyone who thinks there is a 'magic bullet',stop eating all that junk,stop being lazy,a little WILLPOWER will work CURE is absolutely WRONG. Especially if the person has an eating disorder! Many people are food addicts...and if they do know it,and do not get help'oh I don't have an addiction'...it's called DENIAL. And a food addict will NOT get help as long as they stay in DENIAL...It's taken me many years...and many health problems...to admit to food addiction and get help via a stay in an Oklahoma rehab and OA Online...

You're right, TonyS., but I think the man is unreachable.  People just love their self-satisfied prejudices!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/28/05 at 11:35 am

I've never found myself disgusted by obese people, but I'm certainly disgusted with a couple of the comments left on this thread.  I have been both fat and skinny, and let me just say, life is far better when you're skinny.  I was never ever EVER offended when someone made comments about how thin and beautiful I was.  I mean, give me a break, people.  Poor you.  You tell people to stop whining about being fat and then proceed to moan about how difficult it is to be thin?  You can't possibly expect people to take you seriously, can you?

I'd like to continue by saying that if you've never been fat (and 30 pounds overweight doesn't count as fat) you really have no idea what it's like.  If someone whines about how horrible it is to be heavy while shoving a hamburger into their mouth, that person is a moron.  But the majority of overweight people aren't like that, and I think you guys know it.  Some people struggle their entire lives to stay thin, only to be labled as disgusting by people like you when they fail.  It's lovely that you make almost no effort to maintain your perfect body, MooRocca, but you're the exception, not the rule.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/28/05 at 4:03 pm

I've never found myself disgusted by obese people, but I'm certainly disgusted with a couple of the comments left on this thread.  I have been both fat and skinny, and let me just say, life is far better when you're skinny.  I was never ever EVER offended when someone made comments about how thin and beautiful I was.  I mean, give me a break, people.  Poor you.  You tell people to stop whining about being fat and then proceed to moan about how difficult it is to be thin?  You can't possibly expect people to take you seriously, can you?

I'd like to continue by saying that if you've never been fat (and 30 pounds overweight doesn't count as fat) you really have no idea what it's like.  If someone whines about how horrible it is to be heavy while shoving a hamburger into their mouth, that person is a moron.  But the majority of overweight people aren't like that, and I think you guys know it.  Some people struggle their entire lives to stay thin, only to be labled as disgusting by people like you when they fail.  It's lovely that you make almost no effort to maintain your perfect body, MooRocca, but you're the exception, not the rule.

I am really glad that you made this post.....because I was just about to say almost the same exact words as you just "very well" put it!!  I am not here to knock thin people or fat people, or anybody....however, I agree totally with your statements.  I would MUCH rather have the "problem" of being too thin and not being able to gain a pound...then being overweight.  If people commented to me over and over about being, "too thin"....that would be a compliment to me!!  People who are thin always will get treated better by society than an overweight person.  I don't know about you, but I would much rather be super thin and have the ability to eat whatever I darn well pleased, and not worry about gaining a pound, versus, the "look at a piece of cake and gain 10 lbs body", such as myself.  Also, who has the easier time going shopping for clothes?  The styles of today are MADE for thin people...the models are thin, the clothes are compatable for a thin body, and the stores cater to those who have nice figures.  How about summer?  You thin people out there......would you rather be the size you are, able to wear nice, cool clothing.....go to the beach and wear a nice swimsuit, be comfortable and not have to worry about walking past someone who utters something negative about how "big" you are.....I would take that kind of "problem" ANYDAY...to the ones that I and a lot of other bigger people endure.
I also agree with Ashkicksa*s' statement that, if you've never been overweight....you have no idea how crappy it really is....and that a lot of overweight people are NOT the "hogs" that society deems them to be....it's just some of us have a really hard time losing weight and keeping all of the weight off and under control.

Written By: Brian Damaged on 06/29/05 at 11:42 am

I don't know who all you are talking to in this.  I know you mentioned one person, but you also say "you people" when you talk about "whining" about being thin.  This is offensive.  I never made any comment about people "whining" about being fat, and I am offended by being called "whining" if I mention how hard it is being thin.  It is a fact that if you are heavy, people will usually not embarrass you in public my making a derogaotory comment about your body.  And if some jerk does, at least other people recognize this is person rude.  But because of society prejudice (as we can see when you state that being thin is nothing to complain about), people feel free to comment and humiliate you in public if your "too skinny" body does not look attractive or healthy enough for their personal taste. 

I sympathize with any difficulties you may have experienced, but attacking skinny people for feeling life can be difficult is the same kind of insensitive crap you are complaining about.  And if you have been fat AND skinny, you obviously DON"T know what it's like to have the kind of metabolism where you CAN'T gain weight, so it's not the same.  ESPECIALLY if you are a guy in this society.  You know nobody tells skinny guys their so thin and beautiful.

Written By: MooRocca on 06/29/05 at 12:53 pm

I don't know who all you are talking to in this.  I know you mentioned one person, but you also say "you people" when you talk about "whining" about being thin.  This is offensive.  I never made any comment about people "whining" about being fat, and I am offended by being called "whining" if I mention how hard it is being thin. 

Nor did I and I'm the person who was singled out.

Written By: Brian Damaged on 06/29/05 at 1:09 pm

I am really glad that you made this post.....because I was just about to say almost the same exact words as you just "very well" put it!! I am not here to knock thin people or fat people, or anybody....however, I agree totally with your statements. I would MUCH rather have the "problem" of being too thin and not being able to gain a pound...then being overweight. If people commented to me over and over about being, "too thin"....that would be a compliment to me!! People who are thin always will get treated better by society than an overweight person. I don't know about you, but I would much rather be super thin and have the ability to eat whatever I darn well pleased, and not worry about gaining a pound, versus, the "look at a piece of cake and gain 10 lbs body", such as myself. Also, who has the easier time going shopping for clothes? The styles of today are MADE for thin people...the models are thin, the clothes are compatable for a thin body, and the stores cater to those who have nice figures. How about summer? You thin people out there......would you rather be the size you are, able to wear nice, cool clothing.....go to the beach and wear a nice swimsuit, be comfortable and not have to worry about walking past someone who utters something negative about how "big" you are.....I would take that kind of "problem" ANYDAY...to the ones that I and a lot of other bigger people endure.
I also agree with Ashkicksa*s' statement that, if you've never been overweight....you have no idea how crappy it really is....and that a lot of overweight people are NOT the "hogs" that society deems them to be....it's just some of us have a really hard time losing weight and keeping all of the weight off and under control.

This is must more crap making fun of other people's concerns.  I don't know what it's like to have a "problem" being so-called "too heavy", so I don't dare tell someone who does that they are better off than me.  That would be arrogant and insensitive.  I can't judge someone else's experience and emotional hurt.  But there you go and make light of other people talking about their problems being thin.  If you were a thin male, I don't think you would say society "caters to thin people".  All I was complaining about is people being rude in making comments.

Written By: Brian Damaged on 06/29/05 at 1:13 pm

Let's face it, comments about the "size" of someone are offensive especially when that person is not happy with their body. I am by no means super-thin, but it still offends me when people assume I am anorexic or bulimic. I just had it happen today at a picnic. After lunch, a good friend came up to me to ask if I was okay because one of the other moms said I was probably going in the bathroom after lunch to throw up when I simply went in to wash the ketchup from my youngest's hotdog off my hands.

This just shows what idiots people can be.  You are a thin woman and you went to the bathroom after your meal, so maybe you're bulimic?

Written By: Mistress Leola on 06/29/05 at 2:02 pm

I think we can all agree that all of us -- fat, thin, buffed, pudgy, slender, round, skinny, taut, hefty, emaciated, generously-proportioned, whatever...  should take care of our own godd@mmed bodies, and stop worrying about other people's. 

Naturally, we will have our own 'opinions' about whether someone or another "should" lose, or gain, or work out, or eat healthier, or dress better, yadda, yadda, yadda.  Fine.  But we can keep the opinion diarrhea of our idle minds to ourselves and stop being so blatantly rude as to actually give voice to our petty assessments. 

So let's all just shut the f**k up about other people's looks and worry (or don't) about our own.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/29/05 at 3:19 pm

This is must more crap making fun of other people's concerns.  I don't know what it's like to have a "problem" being so-called "too heavy", so I don't dare tell someone who does that they are better off than me.  That would be arrogant and insensitive.  I can't judge someone else's experience and emotional hurt.  But there you go and make light of other people talking about their problems being thin.  If you were a thin male, I don't think you would say society "caters to thin people".  All I was complaining about is people being rude in making comments.

I was not "making fun of other people's concerns"....I was merely stating that society (for the most part, and mostly towards women) DOES cater to the thinner person. You are right...I don't know how it feels to be a thin male.....and I can understand how you might feel self conscious about being thinner as a male.....all I was saying is that....society DOES make it easier for individuals who are thin (whether they are male OR female).  I am not saying that people don't get on, even thin people, but IN MY OPINION, and only MY OPINION, I stated that I would be much happier if someone was commenting on my thinness rather than me being overweight....that's all that I meant.  I do NOT condone people making comments towards a thin person, that insinuate that they are bulimic...yes, that is VERY rude of someone to perceive merely because the person is thin.  Please don't misinterpret me though...I am not belittling thin people for being upset that others get on them about that....all I was doing was making a comparison between the two, and stating what I would rather go through.

Erin

Written By: whitewolf on 06/29/05 at 8:05 pm

When I started this thread, it was because I noticed some very rude comments posted on other threads and pictures posted of very obese women. the comments were about those pictures.
The people that made the rude comments did not post on this thread.

I agree with crazymom and MooRocca (and others) that comments go both ways. overweight people get comments about food choices and having self control. and thin people get comments about being anorexic.

I get comments from family and people who are supposed to be my friends about my weight. But when I do start losing weight they say that I am trying to kill myself be losing it to fast.

I have a good friend that is thin, people ask me if she is bulimic or anorexic. she is not though, she just has a very high metabolism.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/29/05 at 9:09 pm

It's not so much disgusted, more turned off. I don't know why. I guess it's society telling us that fat is ugly, skinny is sexy etc. It's something I've been trying to get myself out off (finding fat people ugly) and so far succeeding.

It's kinda like when I get discusted when I see a naked person... and think afterwards, why was I discusted at something that is as natural as that? It's because of society's perception that nudity and the human body is "sacred" and should not be shown.

I'm starting to go off topic here, so I'll end it here.  ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/30/05 at 12:49 am

I would never condone anyone putting someone down for their weight or lack thereof.  And when I re-read my post, I see that perhaps whining was the wrong word to use.  I was merely trying to make the same point that Quirk was - society is far nicer to thin people than they are to fat people.  That doesn't mean that if someone makes fun of someone else for being too thin it isn't hurtful.  I'm sorry if I offended anyone here - it really wasn't my intention.  I felt that several of the posters were displaying a thinly veiled distain for overweight people, and those were the people I was addressing.  I stick to my guns - in my experience, it's far easier to be thin.  But then I'm a female.  It's a totally different ball game where males are concerned... 

Written By: Brian Damaged on 06/30/05 at 11:29 am

There's no weight watchers or jenny craig or support groups for thin people.  People can be cruel to heavy people, but there is some support and assistance out there too because people know it can be hard.  But people assume skinny people just don't want to eat.  People say "If you want to gain wieght, just eat!  It's simple!  I wish I had your problem!"  But if I want to gain weight I have to eat way, way past a normal appetite and spend tons of money on high-calorie weight gain protein powders and work out way more than a normal amount.  But I'm just explaining my situation.  It's not fair to argue whether heavy or thin people have it worst, because everybody has their own struggles.  I just wish people would stop judging other people and thinking they know what's going on.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/30/05 at 12:45 pm

There's no weight watchers or jenny craig or support groups for thin people.  People can be cruel to heavy people, but there is some support and assistance out there too because people know it can be hard.  But people assume skinny people just don't want to eat.  People say "If you want to gain wieght, just eat!  It's simple!  I wish I had your problem!"  But if I want to gain weight I have to eat way, way past a normal appetite and spend tons of money on high-calorie weight gain protein powders and work out way more than a normal amount.  But I'm just explaining my situation.  It's not fair to argue whether heavy or thin people have it worst, because everybody has their own struggles.  I just wish people would stop judging other people and thinking they know what's going on.

I don't think anybody on this thread is judging anyone in particular, they are merely giving their opinion on the situation, due to whatever circumstance they are in, whether it be too thin or too fat. I can understand that it is not simple for you and other thin people to just suddenly gain weight, I am sure that it is a struggle, especially for a guy (beings that most guys are so worried about being buff, etc), but all I am saying is that I would rather have that "option" of eating whatever the heck I please VERSUS not being able to eat anything at all (and STILL gain weight), as myself.  I have to constantly worry about, if I happen to eat something like a cookie or anything for that matter, that it will put more pounds on me....and believe me, I hardly eat any junk food, or anything really for that matter, yet I still gain instead of lose...most of the time.  I can sympathize with you when you say that it is really hard to gain weight, because for me, it is (and always has been) extremely hard to lose weight.

Written By: Brian Damaged on 07/07/05 at 9:25 am

I don't think anybody on this thread is judging anyone in particular, they are merely giving their opinion on the situation, due to whatever circumstance they are in, whether it be too thin or too fat.

No, I don't mean necessarily people on this thread, I just mean people in general.  :-)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/07/05 at 8:20 pm

No, I don't mean necessarily people on this thread, I just mean people in general.  :-)

Is that you in your avatar picture? I think you look very nice.

Written By: Apricot on 07/07/05 at 8:32 pm

It's not so much disgusted, more turned off. I don't know why. I guess it's society telling us that fat is ugly, skinny is sexy etc. It's something I've been trying to get myself out off (finding fat people ugly) and so far succeeding.

Weight was never an issue for me {sure, I don't really find really, really obese people attractive, but a bit of weight doesn't bother me... it makes you look healthy, ya know?}... attractive is attractive.

Check for new replies or respond here...