» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Pentagon confirms Koran abuse. Released this on a Friday, what a surprise

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/03/05 at 8:56 pm

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.asp?feed=FT&Date=20050603&ID=4866802

It wasn't flushed like Newsweek said though.  No, they pee'd on it instead.  Not nearly as bad as flushing it right?  I mean they can still read it.

Subject: Re: Pentagon confirms Koran abuse. Released this on a Friday, what a surprise

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/03/05 at 10:03 pm

Just as bad....  ::)

Subject: Re: Pentagon confirms Koran abuse. Released this on a Friday, what a surprise

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/04/05 at 4:08 am

"The Pentagon on Friday said US guards at the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, detention facility abused the Koran by kicking the Muslim holy book around and splashing it with urine.

The US Southern Command, which oversees the Guantanamo Bay detention facility, said guards also mishandled the Koran by stepping on the book and soaking it in water."

Hey mister Republican congressman, mister right-wing talk radio host, mister ultra-conservative pastor:
How would you like it if some of them Mo-hammedans done that to yer Bibles and forced YOU to watch?
You'd sure feel sore about it!!!
::)
On the other hand, the report also claims prisoners are destroying Korans much more than prison officials.  Then again, the prison camp environment does not bring out the best in people!

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/04/05 at 11:15 am

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.asp?feed=FT&Date=20050603&ID=4866802

It wasn't flushed like Newsweek said though.  No, they pee'd on it instead.  Not nearly as bad as flushing it right?  I mean they can still read it.

Actually it appears they did attempt to flush it as well, "Pentagon spokesman Lawrence DiRita said there had also been 15 cases of "mishandling and outright desecration by detainees". The report said these included "using the Koran as a pillow, ripping pages out of the Koran, attempting to flush a Koran down the toilet and urinating on the Koran". "

Face it Bushies, Newsweek was right. This is another disgrace to America by the military and Bush administration.

Source- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4608949.stm

Written By: danootaandme on 06/04/05 at 3:32 pm

Newsweek is right, Amnesty International is right, ACLU is right.  This administration is a disgrace.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/04/05 at 7:00 pm

Newsweek is right, Amnesty International is right, ACLU is right.  This administration is a disgrace.

You got it!
Actually, Newsweek,k Amnesty, and ACLU get it wrong sometimes...but the Bush Administration is always a disgrace!  And how!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/04/05 at 7:05 pm

The **** is really gonna hit the ******* fan, great job George....  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/04/05 at 7:07 pm

The **** is really gonna hit the ******* fan, great job George....  ::)

Well, it's not gonna hit the fan for Dubya!  As we saw with Abu Grahib, they'll get some underlings to take the fall for the whole fiasco!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/04/05 at 7:09 pm

It's great to be G.W., when all else fails.... blame someone else.......

Written By: Im Batman on 06/06/05 at 12:27 am

Bush will probably blame this one on Time Magazine.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/06/05 at 1:22 am

Bush will probably blame this one on Time Magazine.

Why not just blame the dirty terrorists?  That's why those guys are at Guantanamo, because they're dirty terrorists, every last one of 'em.  Americans never imprison innocent people, you know.

Written By: Taoist on 06/06/05 at 3:59 am

I have to wonder why this Koran business is so important, surely it's a smoke screen to evade the real problem...

Guantanamo bay is a crime against humanity.  Detaining and torturing people without charge or human rights is a war crime.
ALL of the people involved in this terrorist activity should be tried in the international court then imprisoned for life (if found guilty of course)  The civilised world should place a complete embargo upon the US until the culprits (including the Bush regime) are brought to justice.

Flushing the Koran is, like so many other instances of government spin, an attempt to cover the real crime by admitting to a "minor" offence.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/06/05 at 2:50 pm

I have to wonder why this Koran business is so important, surely it's a smoke screen to evade the real problem...

Guantanamo bay is a crime against humanity.  Detaining and torturing people without charge or human rights is a war crime.
ALL of the people involved in this terrorist activity should be tried in the international court then imprisoned for life (if found guilty of course)  The civilised world should place a complete embargo upon the US until the culprits (including the Bush regime) are brought to justice.

Flushing the Koran is, like so many other instances of government spin, an attempt to cover the real crime by admitting to a "minor" offence.

Yes, of course that should happen, but the US (under Lil' Georgie) has refused to become part opf the international Court of Justice.  International law, as reflected in treaties, pacts, UN resolutions etc. doesn't apply to us,

WE ARE THE LAW

and we have the nucs to prove it. 

I'm wearing a tee shirt with a picture of Geronimo's band outlined in blue.  Above that box it says "HOMELAND SECURITY".  Below it says "Fighting Terrorism Since 1492".

And the beat goes on.

Written By: Im Batman on 06/06/05 at 11:08 pm

Americans never imprison innocent people, you know.

Also, remember Bush told us that all those ethnics and poor white people he had greased on Texas' death role when he was governor were all without any doubt guilty.

And since Bush said it, we know it must be true.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/07/05 at 1:29 pm

Also, remember Bush told us that all those ethnics and poor white people he had greased on Texas' death role when he was governor were all without any doubt guilty.

Are you suggesting that our beloved president would lie to us?  Shame shame.

To me, desecration of a human body is worse than desecration of a book, even a holy one.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/07/05 at 2:40 pm

He even had a sense of humor about icing Karla Faye Tucker.

Reporter:  What would Karla Faye Tucker say if she could speak to you tonight?
Dubya: She'd say, "Oh please don't kill me, please don't kill me!"

See, the fact is, torture occurs day in and day out in our prison system for American citizens here in the U.S.  Screws, I mean "correctional officers," routinely use excessive battering and binding procedures when restraining prisoners.  They also use caustic chemical agents and electric shocks via taser as retribution.  The correction bureaus they only use these measures sparingly in extreme situations.  Evidence contradicts this claim time and again.  The prison system creates conditions so savage, violent, isolating, hostile, and humiliating that prisoners stand no chance of being "corrected," merely driven mad and ever more unfit for release into society.

A folk hero of the Right is a sadistical sheriff from Arizona by the name of Joe Arapio.  More here:
http://www.bbcworld.com/content/clickonline_archive_29_2001.asp?pageid=666&co_pageid=4
http://www.bbcworld.com/content/clickonline/archive_2001/week29_2001/thisweek/images/jail_sherrif.jpg
His modus operandi is humiliation, deprivation, and infliction of as much suffering as he can get away with.  He likes to claim his measures are deterrent, but the numbers in detention in his county have doubled since Arapio took office.

Some of the worst prisons in America, however, are in Florida and Texas--Bush country!  The right-wing politicians and their mean-spirited minions love to claim that American prisons are "country clubs" and prisoners are "coddled."  Nothing could be further from the truth. 

Not only is "Gitmo" a gulag, but America has its own gulag archapelago in the form of the prison system.  As the livelihood-providing economy is stripped from more and more of rural America, prisons are becoming the new life for the lumpen proletariat.  In communities such as Stark, Florida, (which has five prisons surrounding a town of 5,000) you're either an inmate at a "correctinal facility" or you work for one of them.  The rest of local economy relies on the prisons for survival.  This is what Angela Davis calls the "prison-industrial complex." 
This is what you get when you let the Bush family run your country.
http://nicic.org/Library/020304

Yeah, the whole thing is tax-payer funded.  It's cheaper to send a person to college for a year than to send him to prison, but why educate the rabble?  That only teaches them to demand jobs and justice.  Best to keep them scrambling for crumbs, fighting amongst themselves, doing drugs, committing crimes, and milling through the (in)justice system.  That way we don't have to cut them in on the deal.  It's easier that way for us white Christian businessmen to grab our God-given booty!

Written By: ADH13 on 06/14/05 at 1:28 am

LOL I can't believe what I'm reading!  You guys don't seem too angry at the insurgents who keep car-bombing our troops...

I suppose if they stopped killing our soldiers and started wetting their bibles instead, you guys would be ranting about how HORRIBLE that our soldiers' rights were being violated, right?? :-\\

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/14/05 at 7:30 am

LOL I can't believe what I'm reading!  You guys don't seem too angry at the insurgents who keep car-bombing our troops...

I suppose if they stopped killing our soldiers and started wetting their bibles instead, you guys would be ranting about how HORRIBLE that our soldiers' rights were being violated, right?? :-\\

yup, change the subject and pretend that we think it's ok when they attack us.

as awful as the car bombinigs are, it has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

I think it's amazing that people think it's ok to invade a country under false pretenses, and torture people they suspect of being terrorists. 

Written By: Taoist on 06/14/05 at 7:47 am

Nope, I have no anger at all for Iraqis defending their own country from vicious invaders with no respect for human life.

Given the evidence of torture and mistreatment by the US military at Abu Gharaib and Guantanamo, f*ck the US troops, I figure the only good US marine is one who's body is several metres away from his head!

Don't get me wrong, I have little love for the "insurgents" in Iraq, but if forced to choose between violent fundamentalists, I'll choose the ones who at least have the right to be there.

Written By: ADH13 on 06/14/05 at 12:44 pm

Nope, I have no anger at all for Iraqis defending their own country from vicious invaders with no respect for human life.

Given the evidence of torture and mistreatment by the US military at Abu Gharaib and Guantanamo, f*ck the US troops, I figure the only good US marine is one who's body is several metres away from his head!

Don't get me wrong, I have little love for the "insurgents" in Iraq, but if forced to choose between violent fundamentalists, I'll choose the ones who at least have the right to be there.

VICIOUS INVADERS WITH NO RESPECT FOR HUMAN LIFE?!?!?  Come on!  Respect for human life is exactly the reason we are STILL in Iraq!  Do you think OUR troops would be getting killed if they had no respect for human life?  No, they wouldn't!  They would fire at any car that approached them before even having the smallest chance of getting bombed.

Besides, from what it sounds like you're saying is, it's ok to kill people, but dam-mit, DONT LET THE BOOKS GET WET!

Written By: Taoist on 06/15/05 at 4:26 am

Besides, from what it sounds like you're saying is, it's ok to kill people, but dam-mit, DONT LET THE BOOKS GET WET!

No, I don't give a toss about the books, I have little respect for anyone who finds koran/bible-flushing worse than killing.

VICIOUS INVADERS WITH NO RESPECT FOR HUMAN LIFE?!?!?  Come on!  Respect for human life is exactly the reason we are STILL in Iraq!

Oh yes, America's respect for life is well known... Abu Gharaib, Guantanamo.  Try counting the civilian casualties in Iraq... oops the US doesn't even do that!
American troops are still in Iraq because the oil still needs securing.
The invasion of Iraq is not about helping Iraqis, that's just the spin put out by your corrupt regime.  Iraq is about linig the pockets of a few at the expense of a few thousand US troops and countless Iraqis.

Do you think OUR troops would be getting killed if they had no respect for human life?  No, they wouldn't!  They would fire at any car that approached them before even having the smallest chance of getting bombed.

Yes, they did quite a good job with the Italian aid worker's car.  They really approached that situation well!

But please, American troops with respect for life?
They don't even count civilian casualties
They torture and murder POWs (Abu Gharaib) and civilians (Guantanamo).
We have all seen the footage of Fighter planes taking out groups are unarmed civilians

If America had any respect for life, they would be no war at all.  The US might try to help the Iraqis using civilised means, but no, The US has always used violence to further its own goals with no thought for others.

Written By: ADH13 on 06/15/05 at 11:22 am

But please, American troops with respect for life?
They don't even count civilian casualties
They torture and murder POWs (Abu Gharaib) and civilians (Guantanamo).
We have all seen the footage of Fighter planes taking out groups are unarmed civilians

If America had any respect for life, they would be no war at all.  The US might try to help the Iraqis using civilised means, but no, The US has always used violence to further its own goals with no thought for others.

I'm not saying there haven't been any mistakes on the US's part.  I'm sure it's not easy to try to defend yourself when you can't tell who is your friend and who isn't because they all look the same.

Sure, maybe a book got wet.  But we didn't show footage of the POW's begging for human life before proceeding to BEHEAD them!  And I believe the US TRIED civilized means - did everyone conveniently forget that SADDAM was the one who refused inspections??

Anyway, regardless of your stance on the war itself and your view of the government, there is now an Iraqi government in place.  They too, are being attacked.  So if you have a problem having any sympathy for our troops, why not cry out about the IRAQIS that are being killed by insurgents along with your cries about the "poor little terrorist's book that got wet".

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/17/05 at 4:09 pm

I'm not saying there haven't been any mistakes on the US's part.  I'm sure it's not easy to try to defend yourself when you can't tell who is your friend and who isn't because they all look the same.

Sure, maybe a book got wet.  But we didn't show footage of the POW's begging for human life before proceeding to BEHEAD them!  And I believe the US TRIED civilized means - did everyone conveniently forget that SADDAM was the one who refused inspections??

Anyway, regardless of your stance on the war itself and your view of the government, there is now an Iraqi government in place.  They too, are being attacked.  So if you have a problem having any sympathy for our troops, why not cry out about the IRAQIS that are being killed by insurgents along with your cries about the "poor little terrorist's book that got wet".

It's more than a book getting wet.  It's one example of a larger pattern of abuse, that the goverment has already admitted.  Why is that fact constantly ignored?

you're right.  We don't show footage of people the government is about to kill.  They do it all in secret so the soccer mom's can drive their big comfy SUV's with a clean conscious.

Check for new replies or respond here...