» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: US Supreme Court rules against medical marijuana

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/06/05 at 9:23 am

Breaking now on CNN and Fox News.  This ruling basically voids the laws of ten states that allow marijuana for medical purposes.

High Court Sides With States in Pot Case
By: Gina Holland, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Federal authorities may prosecute sick people who smoke pot on doctors' orders, the Supreme Court ruled Monday, concluding that state medical marijuana laws don't protect users from a federal ban on the drug.

The decision is a stinging defeat for marijuana advocates who had successfully pushed 10 states to allow the drug's use to treat various illnesses.

Read more here.

Subject: Re: US Supreme Court rules against medical marijuana

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/06/05 at 10:10 am

Breaking now on CNN and Fox News.  This ruling basically voids the laws of ten states that allow marijuana for medical purposes.

High Court Sides With States in Pot Case
By: Gina Holland, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Federal authorities may prosecute sick people who smoke pot on doctors' orders, the Supreme Court ruled Monday, concluding that state medical marijuana laws don't protect users from a federal ban on the drug.

The decision is a stinging defeat for marijuana advocates who had successfully pushed 10 states to allow the drug's use to treat various illnesses.

Read more here.

woo hoo! drug laws can continue to waste money and imprison terminally ill patients!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/06/05 at 1:01 pm

I can't say I like this ruling either.  It goes against my belief in states' rights.

Also this ruling will now be applied to the Stewart machine gun case which is pending a decision from the US Supreme Court, in what could be yet another instance of drug war (which I support mostly by the way) precedents being used against our gun rights as defined by the second amendment to the United States constitution.

Here is what Justice Thomas wrote in his dissent:

"Respondents Diane Monson and Angel Raich use marijuana that has never been bought or sold, that has never crossed state lines, and that has had no demonstrable effect on the national market for marijuana. If Congress can regulate this under the Commerce Clause, then it can regulate virtually anything— and the Federal Government is no longer one of limited and enumerated powers." -Justice Thomas

Justice Thomas is correct.

Here is what James Madison said in Federalist 45:

The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected. The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State. The operations of the federal government will be most extensive and important in times of war and danger; those of the State governments, in times of peace and security.

So "few and defined" now equals just about anything.  Two of the three conservatives of the court saw this: Thomas and Rehnquist.  But for some reason Scalia didn't, not that his decision mattered it being a 6-3 ruling and all.  I don't know who the third person is who sided with Thomas and Rehnquist, though I think it's probably Kennedy or O'Connor.

Another reason to get more conservative judges on the high court and tilt the balance at least back to moderate.

Read Justice Thomas's dissent here.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/06/05 at 2:28 pm

Another victory for the drug companies!!!  Herbal medicine has been around for millenia, and works.  But if too many people got on to it...

Written By: Billy Florio on 06/06/05 at 5:30 pm

wow, all of the justices I expected to be with the opinion of the court in this case dissented.  Except for Scalia (who concered) and Kennedy

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/06/05 at 10:21 pm

Another victory for the drug companies!!!  Herbal medicine has been around for millenia, and works.  But if too many people got on to it...

Even if pot had NO medicinal value, I don't think it makes sense for any government to punish people for smoking it.  Our Founding Fathers would think it was crazy for the federal government to tell the citizens they can't smoke a weed you can just grow on the side of the road.  What a waste of time and money.  What an infringement on our liberty!
Of course, the Founding Fathers would say the same thing about a lot of the stuff I think the feds should do, but there we are.

As much as dislike Justice Thomas, at least he's consistent on "states' rights" in this case.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/07/05 at 1:28 am

As much as dislike Justice Thomas, at least he's consistent on "states' rights" in this case.

Now if we could just go to states' rights on everything: abortion, gay "marriage", medical marijuana, not with that imperial federal government over them.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/07/05 at 2:05 am

Now if we could just go to states' rights on everything: abortion, gay "marriage", medical marijuana, not with that imperial federal government over them.

Do you know what the word "imperial" implies?

The United States government is imperial and has been for over a hundred years.  The united states are NOT the empire, they comprise the republic.  Now, the Republicans who want to weaken federal regulations on private business do, in fact, seek to treat the states as imperial subjects for corporations to rape and pollute as they please. 
The British government from which America won its independence was an imperial form of government.  The Framers set up the United States of America as a confederated republic in part to safeguard against the oppression of empire.  Today it is the colossal powers granted to private chartered corporations that serve as a our proxy imperial government.  That is why I am for severely limiting the powers allotted to private corporations.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/07/05 at 2:59 am

Do you know what the word "imperial" implies?

Yes I do.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/07/05 at 1:20 pm

Gay marriage IS controlled by the states.  Abortion is protected under the right to privacy.  Medical pot has nothing to do with interstate commerce.  The "imperial" (whatever you mean by that) federal government IS "over" the states.  The Constitution is very clear that federal law trumps state law unless state law exceeds federal standards, as with minimum wage in Vermont and several other states.  Sounds like you want to undo the results of the Civil War.

Written By: goodsin on 06/08/05 at 2:04 am

"Respondents Diane Monson and Angel Raich use marijuana that has never been bought or sold, that has never crossed state lines, and that has had no demonstrable effect on the national market for marijuana.".

Where do they source this marijuana from, then? I've read that medical marijuana (this may have been in Holland) is deliberately selected/ bred to have a low CBD/THC ('stoning' compounds) content, which would make it more similar to hemp, and is also not suitable for smoking. I find it odd that the US government is passing up the opportunity to produce this reduced-THC marijuana for patients' use, as it apparently gives the medical benefits, but with little 'stoning' side effect- the CIA are the world's largest drug peddlars, it's unlike them to miss an opportunity to try to control a market- but then I suppose the US government doesn't want it to appear that they are endorsing the drug now, when they used the opposite tactic for racist purposes in earlier years.

Written By: Billy Florio on 06/08/05 at 1:10 pm

Gay marriage IS controlled by the states.  Abortion is protected under the right to privacy.  Medical pot has nothing to do with interstate commerce.  The "imperial" (whatever you mean by that) federal government IS "over" the states.  The Constitution is very clear that federal law trumps state law unless state law exceeds federal standards, as with minimum wage in Vermont and several other states.  Sounds like you want to undo the results of the Civil War.

im actually confused with your responce Don Carlos.  Are you saying that you support the decision the Court made? 

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/08/05 at 5:19 pm

im actually confused with your responce Don Carlos.  Are you saying that you support the decision the Court made? 

No, I don't support the court's decision.  In fact, I think pot should be at least decriminalized, if not made legal.  My point, which I appologise for not making clearer, is that when conservatives approve the fed gov't expanding its powers (like the (anti) Patriot Act), they are all for an activist court willing to do their bidding, or the bidding or to spare whatever big business's ox could get gored.  When it comesv to the rights of the people to do things like grow medicinal herbs, or find ways to "cheat" big business (like stopping people from growing their owm "drug of choice", well, in those cases, individual liberty be damned.  There is good reason to prevent people from distilling home-made hooch.  At the wrong temperature, that stuff can kill you.  Home-made fermented booze is legal, and should be since it comes out as either wine/beer/ale or as vinigar.  But the Booze lobby is dead set against pot for any use - medical or recreational, because it eats into theit profits.

My other point was that the issues I responded to, were already controlled by the states.

Written By: Apricot on 06/08/05 at 11:11 pm

"Hmm.. time and effort that could be dedicated to fighting crime or terrorism is being used to throw sick people into the slammer? I find this just a bit odd..."

Heard that one on the news today, and I like it.

Written By: philbo on 06/10/05 at 5:19 pm

This ruling basically voids the laws of ten states that allow marijuana for medical purposes.

That's basically completely and utterly fudgeing stupid from start to finish.  Only some kind of microcranial moron could possibly think they're in any way benefiting mankind by coming up with this sort of bullsheesh.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/10/05 at 5:29 pm

What the Supreme Court said is that federal law trumps state laws. It didn't outlaw the medicinal use of marijuana, federal law does, and the federal law can and should be changed.

Written By: Billy Florio on 06/10/05 at 8:18 pm

That's basically completely and utterly fudging stupid from start to finish.  Only some kind of microcranial moron could possibly think they're in any way benefiting mankind by coming up with this sort of balony.

blaim the United States Supreme Court then Phil

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/10/05 at 9:01 pm

That's basically completely and utterly fudging stupid from start to finish.  Only some kind of microcranial moron could possibly think they're in any way benefiting mankind by coming up with this sort of balony.

You're talking about Scalia, Ginsburg, Souter, Breyer, Kennedy and Stevens right?

Written By: limblifter on 06/10/05 at 10:50 pm

I was joking with my GP this morning about needing a prescription for Mary Jane. He told me that soon he will be able to give prescriptions for an inhaler that gives all of the benefits of weed, without all of the harmfull side effects. But he also said that it will be expensive as h*ll, and most private, and government prescription plans will not cover it.

So did he basically say that it will be better to just go to the corner and pick up a dime bag, rather than depend on the government to supply the needy with the medication they need? At a price they can afford? Because even though the canadian government is growing their own medicinal weed in a cave in Saskatchewan, it's next to impossible to actually get a prescription for it.

I don't need it BTW. I hate weed, but I would never think of telling someone that actually feels better with it that they can't have it because the government deems it dangerous. But will allow the corner store to deliver cigarettes and beer to my front door.

Check for new replies or respond here...