» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Kerry's grades at Yale similar to Bush's

Written By: Billy Florio on 06/11/05 at 5:02 pm

yeah, this is a few days old, but I forgot to post it. 

Transcript shows Kerry's Yale grades similar to Bush's
BOSTON (AP) — Sen. John F. Kerry's grade average at Yale University was virtually identical to President Bush's record there, despite repeated portrayals of Kerry as the more intellectual candidate during the 2004 presidential campaign.

Kerry had a cumulative average of 76 and got four Ds his freshman year — in geology, two history courses and political science, The Boston Globe reported Tuesday.

His grades improved with time, and he averaged an 81 his senior year and earned an 89 — his highest grade — in political science as a senior.

"I always told my dad that D stood for distinction," Kerry said in a written response to reporters' questions. He said he has previously acknowledged focusing more on learning to fly than studying.

Under Yale's grading system in effect at the time, grades between 90 and 100 equaled an A, 80-89 a B, 70-79 a C, 60 to 69 a D, and anything below that was a failing grade.

In 1999, The New Yorker magazine published a transcript showing Bush had a cumulative grade average of 77 his first three years at Yale, and a similar average under a non-numerical rating system his senior year.

Bush's highest grade at Yale was an 88 in anthropology, history and philosophy. He received one D in his four years, a 69 in astronomy, and improved his grades after his freshman year, the transcript showed.

Kerry, a Democrat, previously declined to release the transcript, which was included in his Navy records. He gave the Navy permission to release the documents last month, the Globe reported.

Kerry graduated from Yale in 1966, Bush in 1968.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-06-07-kerry-transcripts_x.htm?csp=34

Now, I didnt vote for Bush, Im not a supporter of him at all, but cmon, this is a little sketchy, isn't it?

And I want no arguing that this is part of the conservative bias....its from the Associated Press, and got published in USA Today and Boston Globe (I forgot to check the New York Times and Washington Post...I should check it now) but I dont remember hearing it on any network news programs (I dont have a clue if CNN or FNC aired it). 

Subject: Re: Kerry's grades at Yale similar to Bush's

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/11/05 at 5:19 pm

I was thinking about posting this two days ago, but held off.  I'm glad you did.

Bush got one "D" in four years at Yale while Kerry got four "D's" over four years at Yale.

Bush and Kerry's grades at Yale aren't the same, Bush did better.

But I'm sure Bush cheated.  ::)

Written By: Billy Florio on 06/11/05 at 5:27 pm

After an internet search (and who knows how exact that was) I found these big outlets carried the article:
As mentioned before USA Today and Boston Globe http://www.boston.com/news/politics/primaries/massachusetts/articles/2005/06/07/transcript_shows_kerrys_yale_grades_similar_to_bush/
Washington Post http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/07/AR2005060700203.html
New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/08/politics/08kerry.html?n=Top%2fNews%2fWashington%2fCampaign%202004%2fCandidates%2fJohn%20F%20Kerry
San Francisco Chronicle http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/06/08/MNGGOD58C91.DTL&feed=rss.news
Chicago Sun Times http://www.suntimes.com/output/elect/cst-nws-grade08.html
Washington Times http://insider.washingtontimes.com/articles/normal.php?StoryID=20050607-114256-1970r
Boston Herald http://news.bostonherald.com/politics/view.bg?articleid=88387&format=
CNN http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/06/07/kerry.grades.ap/index.html?section=cnn_latest
Yahoo News http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050607/ap_on_re_us/kerry_grades_1
and Surprisingly, CBS news...but I dont remember hearing about it on their broadcast
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/06/07/politics/main700170.shtml

Written By: Im Batman on 06/11/05 at 6:47 pm

Actually, I think it was Kerry who finally released his grades.

Maybe Kerry kept it quiet because he was embarrased about his grades.

Bush has no problem with his lack of academic achievemet.  He prances around the country like a proud peacock and tells everyone that the C student was appointed president.

I can see millions of parents having to explain to their kids that the president of the United States is a dumbass, and they should not try and grow up to be like him.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/11/05 at 11:19 pm

For chrissakes, who cares?

If Bush supporters were secure about their man's intellectual prowess they wouldn't feel the need to pound the podium about some forty year old report cards!  Kerry is not Bush's rival anymore, and Bush is not the sharpest tool in the shed.  That's the way it is, now get over it!

Written By: danootaandme on 06/12/05 at 10:42 am

If one read the article it also stated the Kerry had a bad freshman year, not unusual.  Each year after
he worked harder and his grades kept getting better.  Not so with georgie who was consistently the
party hardy on daddies dime kinda kid.  Goes to the character of each that these traits have remained consistent throughout their lives.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/12/05 at 4:27 pm

Can anyone explain why we should care?

During my freshman year I failed 2 courses, but after that I got the hang of studying and graduated on the Dean's list - although not with honors.  But this is anchient history.  We all know that Lil' Georgie is playing with a half a deck, but then, when has the American public every been fond of intellectuals?

Written By: zcrito on 06/12/05 at 5:07 pm

All this talk of old college grades reminded me of a article I read a awhile back. Looks like Al Gore wasn't much better...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bush dumb, Gore bright?
March 6, 2002
2002 Laurence A. Elder

President George W. Bush – despite his post-Sept. 11 performance – remains dumb, says "West Wing" producer Aaron Sorkin.

Bush's stratospheric popularity, claims Sorkin, results from our collective refusal to admit Bush's stupidity: "That illusion may be what we need right now, but the truth is we're simply pretending to believe that Bush exhibited unspeakable courage at the World Series by throwing out the first pitch at Yankee Stadium, or that he, by God, showed those terrorists by going to Salt Lake City and jumbling the first line of the Olympic opening ceremony. The media is waving pompoms, and the entire country is being polite."

Why, then, did "brainy" Democratic presidential candidate Al Gore lose to his obvious intellectual inferior? Sorkin offers this analysis: Gore, reluctant to demonstrate his superior intelligence, pulled his punches against Bush. In an upcoming "West Wing" episode, Sorkin intends to pit his fictional smart Democratic President Josiah Bartlet, played by Martin Sheen (who once called Bush a "moron"), vs. a less-than-bright Republican candidate. Sorkin explains, "Bartlet is going to be running against Gov. Robert Ritchie, of Florida, who's not the sharpest tool in the box but who's raised a lot of money and is very popular with the Republican Party. ... It was frustrating watching Gore try so hard not to appear smart in the debates – why not just say, 'Here's my f---ing resume, what do you got?'"

In this fictitious Gore vs. Bush II contest, President Bartlet's communications director, often portrayed as the White House's conscience, psychoanalyzes the boss and offers the following advice: "You don't want to lose as the smartest kid in class who's running against an everyman. But I'm telling you, be the smartest kid in your class. Be the reason why your father hated you. Make this an election about smart and stupid, about engaged and not, qualified and not."

Gore, according to Sorkin, possesses an impressive f---ing resume, but what about Gore's f---ing academic performance and his f---ing grades?

First, prep school. Although Gore received a SAT math score of 730, a former St. Alban's teacher called his performance in physics "terrible." What about chemistry? The former professor said, "He didn't do too well in chemistry."

After his graduation from St. Alban's High School, Gore entered Harvard. "In his sophomore year at Harvard," according to The Washington Post, " Gore's grades were lower than any semester recorded on Bush's transcript from Yale ." Gore, later the author of the environmental call-to-arms book, "Earth in the Balance," received a D in a Harvard science course. The Post described Gore's sophomore year: " the year Gore's classmates remember him spending a notable amount of time in the Dunster House basement lounge shooting pool, watching television, eating hamburgers and occasionally smoking marijuana."

On to graduate school. In 1971, Gore enrolled in Vanderbilt Divinity School. The Washington Times says, "It is said that Mr. Gore failed to hand in his book report on time. Thus, his incomplete grade turned into an F, one of five Fs Mr. Gore received at divinity school, which may well be a worldwide record." He later dropped out.

Gore then enrolled in law school, but also failed to finish. The Boston Globe said, "Nor did Gore graduate from Vanderbilt Law School, where he enrolled for a brief time and received his fair share of Cs."

Not only did Bush academically outperform the "intellectually superior" Gore, Bush scored a higher verbal SAT score than Rhodes scholar and former Democratic presidential candidate Bill Bradley, with Bush scoring 566 to Bradley's 485. True, Gore scored a higher verbal SAT at 625, but the "smart, engaged, and qualified" former vice president scored only 59 points higher than the allegedly intellectually deficient Bush.

Stupidity, it appears, flows from the ideological eye of the beholder. Reporters constantly asked the late JFK Jr. when he intended to run for president. The Kennedy glow never dimmed even when he flunked the New York bar twice before finally passing it. Recently in Los Angeles, leftist candidate Antonio Villaraigosa ran unsuccessfully for mayor of Los Angeles. Villaraigosa took and flunked the California bar four times, never passing it. Yet because of Villaraigosa's ethnicity, his opponents – fearing a charge of racism – refused to raise the issue.

Don't misunderstand. Time magazine named Albert Einstein "Person of the Century," and President Bush will not demand a recount. But Al Gore, while performing well on standardized tests, and reportedly possessing a high IQ, nevertheless underwhelmed academically. If Gore possesses more brain power than Bush, what's more impressive? A Gore-like bright kid who refuses to apply himself, or the less-than-brilliant kid who gets the job done?

Maybe President Bartlet can sort that one out for us.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=26731
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/12/05 at 5:12 pm

Well, given the choice...

No, scrap it, this is just to much a waste of time.  My guy's smarter than your guy...

Written By: Billy Florio on 06/12/05 at 7:29 pm

maybe I find this more interesting because being in political science and sociology classes at a university, there is frequent debate about Bush's qualifications.  This article reminds me of how all of the bleeding-heart liberals would argue that Kerry is smarter than Bush only because of Bush's grades in college. 

Meanwhile, Bush did better on his SATs than most of the people who go to college....he got a 1240 I believe. 

Written By: limblifter on 06/12/05 at 8:42 pm

OMG!!!! Does anyone even stop to think that they are arguing about how stupid BOTH presidential candidates were? ;D

Heck, there are probably millions of people in your country that have higher SAT scores, that failed fewer classes in college, that are 100 times smarter than ANY presidential candidate could ever dream to be. But does that make them a good leader?

Written By: Satish on 06/12/05 at 11:41 pm

Oh, the whole image of Bush being stupid was just something created by comedians to make fun of. They gotta make a living too, ya know. Of course it isn't entirely true.

It probably stems more from how ignorant he seems on issues and how often he mis-speaks in public(come on, the number of times he's done that has to have made you question his intelligence at least occasionally). And it also probably stems from the fact that before running for the Texas governorship in 1994, he hadn't accomplished anything noteworthy in his professional life that wasn't a result of his family's vast fortune and influence.

I'd say the whole "Bush is stupid" thing started in the 2000 presidential campaign when he couldn't name the president of Pakistan.

But really though, when you listen to dubya read out speeches that others have written for him in his dull monotone drawl, you do get the impression that there isn't anybody home and that he isn't the one in charge of the current administration. It really does leave you with the feeling that it's his advisors behind the scenes who are the ones calling the shots in his presidency, and that he's just their puppet.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/13/05 at 1:10 am

Anyone who judged me by my high school grades would conclude I was a blooming idiot.  A lot of my college grades were pretty p*ss poor too.  For one reason or other, some people who are very smart don't perform well academically.  For me, it was clinical depression.  It was always terribly frustrating for me to see dullards make honors wile I struggled just to keep off academic probation.
Then there are people who are adroit at academics who are otherwise terminally dull, imperceptive, and not at all curious about anything unless it has to do with getting a grade.
Even if Dubya made straight A's all the way through, it would make no difference to me if he behaved the same as he does today.  Dubya doesn't care about the world or anybody who lives in it, except himself and his rich pals.

Written By: nally on 06/13/05 at 1:16 am

Anyone who judged me by my high school grades would conclude I was a blooming idiot.  A lot of my college grades were pretty p*ss poor too.  For one reason or other, some people who are very smart don't perform well academically.  For me, it was clinical depression.  It was always terribly frustrating for me to see dullards make honors wile I struggled just to keep off academic probation.
Then there are people who are adroit at academics who are otherwise terminally dull, imperceptive, and not at all curious about anything unless it has to do with getting a grade.

I can sort-of relate. I am very capable of getting good grades; lately I've just been taking a lot of very tough classes. I was majoring in Computer Science, but when I reached the upper division courses a year ago, I was struggling in each and every single one of my classes. So the following semester I only took two lecture classes (one of which I struggled in since day 1, mostly due to the professor; thank god that was only an elective class), and the semester after that (which was the most recently concluded semester, Spring '05), I took a physics course which I miraculously passed with a C minus, and an upper division math course which had tough HW assignments. Which gave me second thoughts about wanting to become a math major (which I had considered a year or so ago). So I decided on liberal studies...which I plan to change to within the next couple weeks.

Written By: nally on 06/13/05 at 1:18 am

Even if Dubya made straight A's all the way through, it would make no difference to me if he behaved the same as he does today.  Dubya doesn't care about the world or anybody who lives in it, except himself and his rich pals.

I agree. ;) ::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/13/05 at 11:05 am

maybe I find this more interesting because being in political science and sociology classes at a university, there is frequent debate about Bush's qualifications.  This article reminds me of how all of the bleeding-heart liberals would argue that Kerry is smarter than Bush only because of Bush's grades in college. 

Meanwhile, Bush did better on his SATs than most of the people who go to college....he got a 1240 I believe. 

dang... that's what I got.  Boy that doesn't make me feel any brighter!

Notice the part about the Switft Boat Veterans claims were totally refuted by the release of these documents?  I guess that's not as interesting as a bad freshman year at an Ivy League school.  The valedictorian of my graduating class in high school (1590 SATs) went to Yale and had several C's his first semester (so I was told, I lost touch with him after high school).  It's not a surprise anyone does poorly their first semester.  Bush was a legacy though, he'd get a C no matter what his grades.

Written By: Billy Florio on 06/13/05 at 11:47 am

Notice the part about the Switft Boat Veterans claims were totally refuted by the release of these documents?  I guess that's not as interesting as a bad freshman year at an Ivy League school.  The valedictorian of my graduating class in high school (1590 SATs) went to Yale and had several C's his first semester (so I was told, I lost touch with him after high school).  It's not a surprise anyone does poorly their first semester.  Bush was a legacy though, he'd get a C no matter what his grades.

I believe the article states that both Bush and Kerrys grades went up after their freshman year. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/13/05 at 1:11 pm

Remember, Cheney flunked out of Yale, but he wasn't a legacy case like Georgie Boy, he was just a bumpkin from Wyoming.  I would never say Cheney's stupid, Cheney is brilliant....and eeeeevilllll!

Written By: Im Batman on 06/13/05 at 2:47 pm

"That's why I went to Congress last September and propsed fundamental, supplemental funding which is money for armor and body parts."--George W. Bush, September 4, 2004

Yeah, sure the Chimp is smarter than Kerry.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/13/05 at 3:08 pm

"That's why I went to Congress last September and propsed fundamental, supplemental funding which is money for armor and body parts."--George W. Bush, September 4, 2004

Yeah, sure the Chimp is smarter than Kerry.

Too bad he never carried through on the parts of that statement that he didn't flub.  Body parts?  I'm sure there's plenty of GI's coming home who wouldn't mind a few replacements of those, maybe Bush made a Fruedian slip there.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/13/05 at 4:10 pm

Too bad he never carried through on the parts of that statement that he didn't flub.  Body parts?  I'm sure there's plenty of GI's coming home who wouldn't mind a few replacements of those, maybe Bush made a Fruedian slip there.

Yes, sometimes slips of the tongue, or in Lil' Georgie's case trips over the tongue, reveal the truth.

But all this talk about grades is just silly.  In my 26+ years of college teaching, and my own and peers' experiences, freshman year can be a bit**, especially if you live on campus, or get into the frat/sor crowd, or think you know it all (as I did).  Beyond that, I have know many very bright students, well read and thoughful, who had trouble applying themselves, or had trouble with specific subjects (math for me - if the bank tells me I have more money in my checking account than I think I have, I call my account balanced).  I'm not into "learning theory" but it is very clear that grades are no reflection of intelligance.

That said, Lil' Georgie has got to be the least intrelligent president we have ever had.  Not because he is "retarded" (I hate that word) but because (I suspect) he is just plain lazy.  Presidents going back as far as I can remember (and I vaguely remember Eisenhower) were avid readers, and some were writers.  Meanwhile, Lil' Georgie reads no newspapers, AND BRAGS ABOUT IT.  IQ tests, SAT's, ACT's do not measure intelligence (even though the IQ test claims to).  All, in 1 way or another, measure what people know, not their ABILITY to know (including curiosity).  In that contest I could name at least 10 dem leaders who stand head and shoulders above our anti-intellectual (but very cunning) president.  But then, this has always been one of the most anti-intellectual of the supposed "enlightened" nations.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/14/05 at 9:56 pm

Bush is currently 58, so he took the SAT's probably before you did, when they were harder.

Written By: Im Batman on 06/15/05 at 1:25 am

On top of that, Bush was drunk when he took his SAT's.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/15/05 at 2:48 am

On top of that, Bush was drunk when he took his SAT's.

Kerry helped Jane Fonda prep for her SAT's!
:D

I shall reiterate something to which I alluded previously.  Dubya's problem is NOT mental dullness of the Dan Quayle variety.  Bush CAN be smart if he wants to.  The problem is he doesn't want to.  He is self-satisfied, narrow-minded, and loutish.  He is a frat boy-type, willfully ignorant and not curious about the world around him.  Like Ronald Reagan, his ego is grandiose.  He wants to bask in glory rather than plug away at dry policy matters.  Like the Gipper, he prefers religious zealotry because it provides simplistic answers to complex questions.  A reasonable person would conclude a man of this character is a terrible choice to lead the world's most powerful country.  However, the corporate bosses delight at what makes a thinking man recoil in horror.

The wisenheimers at the National Review picked on Kerry's ponderous demeanor.  Right-wing pundits compared Kerry to a French philosopher and to Hamlet.  Don't you notice a commonality among Democratic presidential candidates?  Jimmy Carter,* Walter Mondale, Michael Dukakis, and John Kerry all had the furrowed brow of an intellectual wonk.  Clinton was the only one who had the angst-free charisma Americans have come to require of presidents, and he was the only one to take the oath of office, not once but twice.  The Right has exploited the American love for the football hero and the Lone Ranger.  Both archetypes give the illusion of rectitude and security, but neither is qualified to manage national affairs.  But the Right intends corporate bosses to manage national affairs behind the scenes and the president to give the illusion.  It all works out.  Dubya is great at being the football hero and the Lone Ranger, but his obtuse personality requires much more struggle on the part of the truth-makers to keep him in national favor.  Ronald Reagan was a natural with the gift of the gab, Bush is not!

*Carter beat Ford in '76 because Ford was tainted with the fall-out of Watergate and his pardoning of Nixon.  Ford was only president for about fourteen months before the campaigns heat up and never got a chance to really establish himself.  The funny thing is, Ford really was a great football hero in his college days.  However, he was tarred with the image of the bumbling fool.

Check for new replies or respond here...