» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Bush had chance to remove terrorist mastermind but didn't...

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/29/05 at 10:16 am

because it would undermine his support for attacking Iraq.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4431601/

Notice a larger picture developing here? 

Bush places the war on terror in the back seat in order to have additional justification for invading Iraq. 

Bush began bombing Iraq months before he went to Congress for approval to invade Iraq

Bush takes sketchy information about yellowcake from the CIA, which came with warnings about the accuracy, and runs it like it's the trurth in his address to Congres

Subject: Re: Bush had chance to remove terrorist mastermind but didn't...

Written By: EthanM on 06/29/05 at 3:09 pm

none of this surprises me anymore

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/29/05 at 3:15 pm

because it would undermine his support for attacking Iraq.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4431601/

Notice a larger picture developing here? 

Bush places the war on terror in the back seat in order to have additional justification for invading Iraq. 

Bush began bombing Iraq months before he went to Congress for approval to invade Iraq

Bush takes sketchy information about yellowcake from the CIA, which came with warnings about the accuracy, and runs it like it's the trurth in his address to Congres

And where is the outcry?  Had Clinton done this the cries for impeachment would have been overwhelming, and then for charges of treason, and justiufiably so.  When will the American people wake up?

Written By: saver on 06/29/05 at 3:51 pm

Clinton HAD the chance to due in Osama and DIDN'T that's how we feel when another missed opportunity comes up..

Like Zaquari is the reason for the whole mess...He was a good target and as stated we are in Iraq to help spread freedom and so we don't get attacked here.

When Zaquari left Afghanastan..where do you think he went??? IRAQ!

Lots of disturbance from the terrorists there so we remain. We'll do the job! Sooner or later.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/29/05 at 4:07 pm

Clinton HAD the chance to due in Osama and DIDN'T that's how we feel when another missed opportunity comes up..

Like Zaquari is the reason for the whole mess...He was a good target and as stated we are in Iraq to help spread freedom and so we don't get attacked here.

When Zaquari left Afghanastan..where do you think he went??? IRAQ!

Lots of disturbance from the terrorists there so we remain. We'll do the job! Sooner or later.

It is an absoulte myth that Clinton had a channce to get Bin Laden and there are so many sources that say so that it amnazes me that this nonsence would be repeated, but its just anothjer example neocon attack tacctics.

Clearly, Al Zirqowi is not the reason for the insurrection, but he is a leader of it.  Cut off the head of a snake and it has a hard time biting you.

And what "freedom" are we spreading in Iraq, the freedom of the grave?

Of course he went to Iraq, new?

I hope we will do the job.  Although the cost in lives and fortune will be very high, at this point we have no choice.  The point is the utter idiocy, the total mismanagement, and the total falsehoods that led us into the quagmire.  Oh, and by the way, the Rebublican Congress, showing its support for our troops, has just voted to cut funding for the Vetrans Administration.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/29/05 at 4:14 pm

It is an absoulte myth that Clinton had a channce to get Bin Laden and there are so many sources that say so that it amnazes me that this nonsence would be repeated, but its just anothjer example neocon attack tacctics.

Clearly, Al Zirqowi is not the reason for the insurrection, but he is a leader of it.  Cut off the head of a snake and it has a hard time biting you.

And what "freedom" are we spreading in Iraq, the freedom of the grave?

Of course he went to Iraq, new?

I hope we will do the job.  Although the cost in lives and fortune will be very high, at this point we have no choice.  The point is the utter idiocy, the total mismanagement, and the total falsehoods that led us into the quagmire.  Oh, and by the way, the Rebublican Congress, showing its support for our troops, has just voted to cut funding for the Vetrans Administration.

There you go again. Using the truth to confuse the issue. ::)

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/29/05 at 4:36 pm

There you go again. Using the truth to confuse the issue. ::)

Sorry, silly me.

Written By: saver on 06/29/05 at 6:09 pm

I agree with much of what you said but due to the nature of the beast..you supposedly cut off the head of THIS terrorist beast and it 'sounds' like it grows back 3 other heads..However,
We vowed to get them-the snakes that they are and apparently they have to scurry for a new leader as we're constantly catching their 3rd in command!

Now is the best time of this war-if you want to say best, as they(insurgents) are running scared and  are trying to blow up everything to scare US because we have trained the police force, have good means of getting them and you see the maniacs are trying to put fear into the people of the country because they are losing... THAT'S HOW i READ IT....

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/29/05 at 6:35 pm

I agree with much of what you said but due to the nature of the beast..you supposedly cut off the head of THIS terrorist beast and it 'sounds' like it grows back 3 other heads..However,
We vowed to get them-the snakes that they are and apparently they have to scurry for a new leader as we're constantly catching their 3rd in command!

that's not the issue here.  The issue here, is that a known, high ranking leader was allowed to continue to operate, so that Bush could support his invasion. 

Now is the best time of this war-if you want to say best, as they(insurgents) are running scared and  are trying to blow up everything to scare US because we have trained the police force, have good means of getting them and you see the maniacs are trying to put fear into the people of the country because they are losing... THAT'S HOW i READ IT....

really? so they weren't blowing crap up six months ago? or a year ago?  This isn't how you read it, this is how Bush is selling it.  If Bush and his cronies hadn't said this nonsense, you wouldn't come to this conclusion on your own in a million years.

Written By: saver on 06/29/05 at 7:02 pm

When violence escalates, wouldn't it 'sound' as if someone is frightened and is throwing everything they have out there?

Since the speech on radio-callers from former raids/wars think if Bush would "this or that' they could level out the situation..
I am only a citizen/writer of opinions..if these people/vets or otherwise have such a great idea, WHY NOT TELL IT TO CONGRESS, THEY'D  LOVE TO HEAR A GOOD PLAN I'M SURE.?? ???

1. Bush more or less called them(insurgents/terrorist), people with a mixed up ideology. CORRECT: WE CAN'T CHANGE THEIR WAY OF THINKING
2. We DO have to get rid of as many of these insurgents as possible. I AGREE WITH THAT.
3. We are STAYING THERE so they DON'T COME HERE. Hmmm, I AGREE WITH THAT TOO...

WOW he must have me and a lot of others hypnotized if we are agreeing with it because he is WANTING us to believe it.

In the last election WAR was the issue and the American populace voted for him ...If they didn't agree with him or thought it was being handled wrong, I guess they had Kerry as the option.

In the next election-if we are still there, who do you think will win the hearts? A guy/girl who says 'let's bring our boys home'? OR We still need to put the terrorists out of business because THEY STILL WANT TO KILL ALL AMERICANS?? 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/29/05 at 7:16 pm

Big surprise.....  ::)

Apparently someone had mentioned on the news to expect 12 more years of this, except only worse...

Great job, George.  ::)

Written By: saver on 06/29/05 at 7:26 pm

Not that it matters..okay we've psychologically tried to convince some of the terroists killing to get their 'virgins' in heaven IT DON'T WORK LIKE THAT, we thought of carrying pig blood with us or spraying it on things they may come in contact with..still not a deterrent...

Maybe...(are they still joining as suicide bombers because they are promised their 'families' will be taken care of if after they blowup?) so, let's not let any of the remuneration get to the suspected families and maybe they have some bizarre way of thinking that: Hell, I'm not THAT into this thing, to blow myself up for nothing!' 

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/30/05 at 7:57 am

When violence escalates, wouldn't it 'sound' as if someone is frightened and is throwing everything they have out there?

yes, but when they also know they have the upperhand, wouldn't they also do the same?

Since the speech on radio-callers from former raids/wars think if Bush would "this or that' they could level out the situation..
I am only a citizen/writer of opinions..if these people/vets or otherwise have such a great idea, WHY NOT TELL IT TO CONGRESS, THEY'D  LOVE TO HEAR A GOOD PLAN I'M SURE.?? ???

I'm sure random people are able to talk to congress whenever they want.

1. Bush more or less called them(insurgents/terrorist), people with a mixed up ideology. CORRECT: WE CAN'T CHANGE THEIR WAY OF THINKING
2. We DO have to get rid of as many of these insurgents as possible. I AGREE WITH THAT.
3. We are STAYING THERE so they DON'T COME HERE. Hmmm, I AGREE WITH THAT TOO...

WOW he must have me and a lot of others hypnotized if we are agreeing with it because he is WANTING us to believe it.

none of these were reasons cited for the war.  They're excuses thought up afterwards as to why we're still there.  What Iraq has become, is an ideal training ground for terrorsts.  The ones who survive, get to go on and fight wherever they want.  Al Qedia only attacked the US twice, and it was 8 years apart.  Just because they haven't attacked yet, doesn't mean they won't.  They also have the excuse for attacking on US soil due to the invasion of Iraq.  The invasion of Iraq buys them a lot of support in other Arab countries.  Iran was tending towards more liberal stances until Bush invaded Iraq.  Now they elect another hardliner by an even larger margin than before.

and it he believed we needed to get rid of as many insurgents as possible, why'd he ignore one of the largest known insurgents at the time?  Oh yeah, to support a war that served no other purpose.

If he wanted US soliders in the region to act as bait (which is what you're suggesting), why not Afghanistan?  No wonder no one wants to enlist now.  You want to go to a region to act as bait?

In the last election WAR was the issue and the American populace voted for him ...If they didn't agree with him or thought it was being handled wrong, I guess they had Kerry as the option.

In the next election-if we are still there, who do you think will win the hearts? A guy/girl who says 'let's bring our boys home'? OR We still need to put the terrorists out of business because THEY STILL WANT TO KILL ALL AMERICANS??   

Bush won by a small margin, not some whopping majority.  If the lies that have come to light since the election were known then, he'd have never won it.  The Evangelical Christian movement contributed over 4 million additional votes to his campaign, yet he won with less than 1 million votes.  These are voters who ignore the Iraq war because they want their faith pushed to the foreground in American politics.  If this group hadn't supported Bush, he'd be out of office today (where he belongs).

49% of the people didn't support Bush.  If we're still there in four years, you think the Republicans replacement is going to still hold onto that close margin?  Current polls show his approval rating hovering around 40%. 

Written By: saver on 06/30/05 at 1:09 pm

Many of the wars that we had  I would get the same 'why are we there' feeling.

As with this.

Aghanistan... I think some of the terroists have left and Iraq is where they are fighting.

The face of war changes, so now we realize what we are dealing with and use that as fodder. We have about 1.5 milllion in our army and the terrorists have how many? Then again they recruit from countries that are tolerant of them...I don't think the Iraqis are all against us...do they know what they gave up letting us start the ball rolling...maybe we're trying to teach them how to use their brains instead of fists to change their situation..if they resist, they fall into the animal mentality..

hope they gut the cancer from there sooner than later...

Everyone repeated we were there for oil....I haven't seen any getting out of there into my car at a lower rate.

As far as China coming into the picture...what about China already making an offer to buy Chevron?  They don't have to be involved in the Iraq scene, we should make a big deal of the direct approach and if we should sell to them..It seems like a good idea on the surface if China buys the American company.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/30/05 at 4:06 pm

Yes, our actions in Iraq are breeding an endless supply of terrorists - that shoulkd tell you something.  And no, we can't just pull out.  We started effing Iraq and we have to doing it until we come.  A Taliban-like state will be infinately more damaging that our loss in Vietnam. 

You may read the increase in attacks as a good sign, but that seems to me to be very convoluted reasoning.  Mr Cheney's optomism not withstanding, Rummy mentioned at least 12 more years.  So I guess we can expect, based on the info from those 2 luminaries, that the troops will be home within the year, or maybe some time around 2017.  Thank God my grandkids will still be too young for the (inevitable) draft, and my kids will be too old.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/05 at 6:05 pm

Remember that scene in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure in which Pee-Wee is doing stunts on his bike, then he wipes out.  So he turns to the kids watching and says, "I meant to do that!"

Well, that's what Bush supporters act like when this administration blows it!  it's pathetic.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/01/05 at 9:21 am

The Daily Show on Monday had a great montage of clips.

First they show Cheney saying the insurgency is in it's last throes.  Then a month later he back peddles, saying that last throes can be violent.

Then they show a clip of Rumsfeld in 2003 explaining that the war could last 6 days, 6 weeks, or even, as long as 6 months.  He doubted it would go on that long though.  Flash forward to this year, and he states it could last another 12 years, after 2 years have already passed.

Then we get to see a general explain that he hasn't seen any change in the level of attacks in the past two years.  Which invalidates the whole "desperation" sale the White House is trying to sell currently.

Check for new replies or respond here...