» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: My response to Ms. Shield's comments

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/01/05 at 3:37 pm

Seemingly, the original thread here got delited, why, I can't figure out, as I was writing this.

Luckilly, neither my x (4 kids) nor either of my daughters suffered from this condition, but we were all accutely aware of it and watched for signs.  I'm told, by the way, that nursing reduces the incidence of it, and also is the healthiest way to feed that newborn, especially during the first weeks when cholostrum (sp?) and not milk is produced.  It contains numerous antibodies and is actually more nutricious that even mothers' milk, which is certainly better than formula.  Let me add that for me, there is no more beutiful sight than a mother nursing her child.  I tried to nurse each of my 4 kids (some K'ung men do it) but they all looked at my hairy nipples and sort of laughted.

I too applaud Ms Shields for speaking out, and have always thought that Tom Cruise was something of an egotistical, spoiled little boy.  He should stick to acting (which he is not that good at) and otherwise keep his stupid mouth shut.

Subject: Re: My response to Ms. Shield's comments

Written By: Carrie on 07/01/05 at 3:46 pm

That is odd the other was deleted...

Like said in the last one, I suffered postpartum depression after my last child was born (I didn't after my first child though) but not to the degree Brooke did. (I never heard about nursing helping preventing it... that is interesting, and perhaps why I didn't get it as severely as Brooke did since I did nurse?) Anyway, maybe this will bring awareness and more doctors will focus on the child AND the mother, making sure she is doing well too. I don't recall my doctor really ever asking how I was, just checking to see if I was healing properly "down below".  ;)
As for Tom talking and putting his two cents in about something he knows NOTHING about... he can shut the hell up. :)

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/01/05 at 4:32 pm

That is odd the other was deleted...

Like said in the last one, I suffered postpartum depression after my last child was born (I didn't after my first child though) but not to the degree Brooke did. (I never heard about nursing helping preventing it... that is interesting, and perhaps why I didn't get it as severely as Brooke did since I did nurse?) Anyway, maybe this will bring awareness and more doctors will focus on the child AND the mother, making sure she is doing well too. I don't recall my doctor really ever asking how I was, just checking to see if I was healing properly "down below".  ;)
As for Tom talking and putting his two cents in about something he knows NOTHING about... he can shut the hell up. :)

Its been a long time - my youngest is turning 20 - that I have looked at the La Leche League stuff, and memory may be (is) faiding, but yes, I do remember some reports about PPD that suggest that breast feeding reduces it.  And by the way, any doctor who tells a new mother that she "can't" is full of sh1t.  Every woman can nurse her infant, and should. 

Written By: Brian Damaged on 07/01/05 at 6:53 pm

Sorry for the confusion. I deleted it myself.  I wanted to applaud her for publicizing the problem (and a little bit for dissing Cruise I admit) but I was afraid it was turning into another Cruise thread, and I'm sick of all that nonsense already.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/01/05 at 7:47 pm

I too applaud Ms Shields for speaking out, and have always thought that Tom Cruise was something of an egotistical, spoiled little boy. He should stick to acting (which he is not that good at) and otherwise keep his stupid mouth shut.

Applause to you, Carlos. 

I suffered through a small bout of it (one evening of freaking out that I was ruining my child for good.  Said child was 3 days old at the time).  My mom was there for me and I am glad it wasn't more.  I commend Brooke for coming out with her story.  Hopefully it will help other women suffering from depression that are afraid to come forward.

As for Tom Cruise....he can go jump off a cliff for all I care.  He has no clue what he is talking about.

Written By: Carrie on 07/01/05 at 7:55 pm

Its been a long time - my youngest is turning 20 - that I have looked at the La Leche League stuff, and memory may be (is) faiding, but yes, I do remember some reports about PPD that suggest that breast feeding reduces it.  And by the way, any doctor who tells a new mother that she "can't" is full of sh1t.  Every woman can nurse her infant, and should. 
I agree. Another good thing about nursing is it helps speed up the weight loss process as well. The benefits are endless.

Written By: Harmonica on 07/01/05 at 9:34 pm

Seemingly, the original thread here got delited, why, I can't figure out, as I was writing this.

Luckilly, neither my x (4 kids) nor either of my daughters suffered from this condition, but we were all accutely aware of it and watched for signs.  I'm told, by the way, that nursing reduces the incidence of it, and also is the healthiest way to feed that newborn, especially during the first weeks when cholostrum (sp?) and not milk is produced.  It contains numerous antibodies and is actually more nutricious that even mothers' milk, which is certainly better than formula.  Let me add that for me, there is no more beutiful sight than a mother nursing her child.  I tried to nurse each of my 4 kids (some K'ung men do it) but they all looked at my hairy nipples and sort of laughted.

I too applaud Ms Shields for speaking out, and have always thought that Tom Cruise was something of an egotistical, spoiled little boy.  He should stick to acting (which he is not that good at) and otherwise keep his stupid mouth shut.

Here we go arguing again.  I can see why you say he is not good at acting. He's had some bad roles in some bad movies.  But I think overall he is good. I liked him in rainman a lot.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/02/05 at 2:17 am

I don't think Hollywood celebrities are the best place to turn for counsel, but if Shields' book about her postpartum depression consoles or educates others, then it does some social good. 
Tommy-boy's big mouth isn't going to help anybody.

Written By: Jessica on 07/02/05 at 3:21 am

I suffered from PPD as well. I had sad and awful thoughts in my head all the time, I cried over stupid things, and my family got a large dose of misdirected anger. I probably should have been on drugs, but that never came to pass. I would have breastfed more, but a certain little boy literally sucked me dry. Yeah, I know you wanted to hear that. :)

Tom Cruise needs to shut his piehole until he gives birth himself. :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/03/05 at 1:02 pm

I totally agree! What does he know anyway? I am sick of seeing his face all over the TV, everytime I turn it on.  He needs to keep his comments to himself, that's for sure.

Erin :)

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/08/05 at 5:06 pm

Here we go arguing again.  I can see why you say he is not good at acting. He's had some bad roles in some bad movies.  But I think overall he is good. I liked him in rainman a lot.

Who gives a flying f***?  This isn't about Tom Cruse, its about women coping with a condition you will never experiance.  You might  read up on it, and you might show some understastding and concern for those women who are afflicted.  If all you can talk about on this thjread is Tom Cruse, maybe yoiu should just keep silent.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/08/05 at 5:13 pm

I suffered from PPD as well. I had sad and awful thoughts in my head all the time, I cried over stupid things, and my family got a large dose of misdirected anger. I probably should have been on drugs, but that never came to pass. I would have breastfed more, but a certain little boy literally sucked me dry. Yeah, I know you wanted to hear that. :)

Maybe this should be a PM, but maybe it will help others this way.  If its not too late,

PLEASE

get in touch with your local La Leche League.  They are up on all the latest research and can give you lots of pointers, help, ands support in nursing your little one.  Every woman can successfully nures her child, and there can be no greater gift.  As I said above, I tried to emulate the K'ung people by offering my breast to my kids - didn't work, but I tried.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/08/05 at 5:25 pm

I never suffered from it (THANK GOODNESS) but I know a few women who have and it's not pretty.  AFA nursing, it can help, but not always.  And yes, there ARE reasons why women can't nurse......most can, but some of us cannot.

Yes, there are a VERY few woman who can;t, so few as to be infintesimal.  In most cases, doctors concinve woman that they can't for their own convinience.  "So how much did your kid eat today?"  "I don't know, he/she nursed from both sides and fell asleep."  MD's don't like that answer.  But, by the holies, its the right one.  Too many woman are convinced by their doctors that they can't nurse.  But think about the long history of humanity.  If women were not able to nurse in substatial numbers, we wouldn't be here.  I say again, there is nothing more wonderful, or moraculous, as seeing a mother nursing her child.  To me, it is the most wonderful site.  I now have two granddaughters, and both of them are nursed, and the sight is awe inspiring still.

Written By: ADH13 on 07/08/05 at 6:08 pm

I do sympathize with people who get post partum depression.  But I don't necessarily think that a celebrity speaking out on the subject is necessarily a good idea.  True, I have not ever had children, so I would like you to correct me if I'm off base here.

I remember about 20-25 years ago, I had never heard of PPD, ADD, AHDD, OCD, etc.  I realize that some people truly do have a problem and need medication.  But I would hate to see PPD turn into another ADD, where people roll their eyes at you when you say you have it, and when every little mood swing is conceived as a "symptom".

It's not fair to the people who truly suffer from these disorders.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/08/05 at 6:35 pm

I do sympathize with people who get post partum depression. But I don't necessarily think that a celebrity speaking out on the subject is necessarily a good idea. True, I have not ever had children, so I would like you to correct me if I'm off base here.

I think that Brooke writing her book was a good thing.  It helps to show that it is normal and happens to all kinds of women.  There are people out there that don't think it is real, that it is all in the woman's head and these people usually don't hesitate to tell the woman their opinion (hello, Tom).  Women suffering from PD need to know that there are others out there and that they are not alone.

Written By: ADH13 on 07/08/05 at 6:40 pm

I think that Brooke writing her book was a good thing.  It helps to show that it is normal and happens to all kinds of women.  There are people out there that don't think it is real, that it is all in the woman's head and these people usually don't hesitate to tell the woman their opinion (hello, Tom).  Women suffering from PD need to know that there are others out there and that they are not alone.

I am sure that it is real, and that there are people who do suffer from it.  I just don't think the whole publicity of ADD was a good thing at all... it is now the universal "excuse" by many for being in a bad mood, getting in fights, having frisky children, etc.  And now whenever I hear anyone say they have ADD it's like everyone rolls their eyes like "Oh puh-leeze"..  I just hope the same doesn't happen with PPD.  I can see it coming as the next "universal excuse" for shaken-baby syndrome, etc.  And as I said before, I just think it's very unfair to those who truly suffer from it.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/08/05 at 6:49 pm

You have a good point, Odyssey.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/08/05 at 6:52 pm

I do sympathize with people who get post partum depression. But I don't necessarily think that a celebrity speaking out on the subject is necessarily a good idea. True, I have not ever had children, so I would like you to correct me if I'm off base here.

I remember about 20-25 years ago, I had never heard of PPD, ADD, AHDD, OCD, etc. I realize that some people truly do have a problem and need medication. But I would hate to see PPD turn into another ADD, where people roll their eyes at you when you say you have it, and when every little mood swing is conceived as a "symptom".

It's not fair to the people who truly suffer from these disorders.
What is your opinion,then, about people like General Hospital's Maurice Benard sharing with others via the Oprah Winfrey talk-show,about his OWN experience with bipolar disorder...or actors with VISIBLE disabilities like the late Christopher Reeve or Paul(?) Burke,who actually HAS Down's Syndrome,who was "Corky" on the series LIFE GOES ON?

I think those who tell about their own difficulties and how they deal with it inspires those of us 'little guys/gals'with disABILITIES to do what we want to do with our own lives..it inspires a I CAN DO IT attitude in myself...

Written By: ADH13 on 07/08/05 at 6:59 pm

What is your opinion,then, about people like General Hospital's Maurice Benard sharing with others via the Oprah Winfrey talk-show,about his OWN experience with bipolar disorder...or actors with VISIBLE disabilities like the late Christopher Reeve or Paul(?) Burke,who actually HAS Down's Syndrome,who was "Corky" on the series LIFE GOES ON?

I think those who tell about their own difficulties and how they deal with it inspires those of us 'little guys/gals'with disABILITIES to do what we want to do with our own lives..it inspires a I CAN DO IT attitude in myself...

Well, I really don't have any problem with the celebrities talking about their disabilities.  I agree with you that it probably inspires many people.  It is very unfortunate that there are many people out there who will use these "invisible disorders" as excuses for their wrongdoings, or to keep their children nice and calm.  I really hope I am wrong about my predictions.  But since depression is hard to prove or disprove by a third party, it just seems so easy to justify child abuse (especially right after childbirth) by claiming to be a victim of PPD.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/08/05 at 7:20 pm

Well, I really don't have any problem with the celebrities talking about their disabilities. I agree with you that it probably inspires many people. It is very unfortunate that there are many people out there who will use these "invisible disorders" as excuses for their wrongdoings, or to keep their children nice and calm. I really hope I am wrong about my predictions. But since depression is hard to prove or disprove by a third party, it just seems so easy to justify child abuse (especially right after childbirth) by claiming to be a victim of PPD.
I have schizoaffective disorder...and I don't ever use it as an excuse for misbehavior. I don't EVER use it as a FREE RIDE..I am not lazy by any means. I plan on going to Atlantic Cape Community College to get an associate's degree in psychology...to become a PEER COUNSELOR. I think the best advice can be given by someone who has BEEN THERE..

Written By: ADH13 on 07/08/05 at 10:20 pm

I have schizoaffective disorder...and I don't ever use it as an excuse for misbehavior. I don't EVER use it as a FREE RIDE..I am not lazy by any means. I plan on going to Atlantic Cape Community College to get an associate's degree in psychology...to become a PEER COUNSELOR. I think the best advice can be given by someone who has BEEN THERE..

I think it's great that you've decided to be a peer counselor.  People like you are exactly the reason I made the comments I made.  I don't personally know anyone who has schizoaffective disorder (that I know of), and I am honestly not familiar with its symptoms.  However, if schizoaffective disorder became overly publicized like attention deficit disorder has, and all of a sudden half the kids in school were diagnosed with it, wrongdoers claimed it as the reason for their actions, and everytime you told someone you have this disorder, they looked at you like you were just "following the trend", that would not be fair to you.  And that is exactly what I am afraid of.

Written By: Carrie on 07/09/05 at 1:52 am

I agree with you. I think it is good for celebrities to come forward and share if they do have "problems" (for lack of a better word, meaning mental or physical disorders, etc, etc.)  of ANY kind and bring awareness. They can show everyone that they are not perfect. Like you mentioned Christopher Reeve, just think of all the work he did with his Paralysis Foundation. Or someone like Michael J. Fox and his work with his Foundation for Parkinson's Research.

(BTW- it is Chris Burke)  :)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/09/05 at 6:06 pm

I agree with you. I think it is good for celebrities to come forward and share if they do have "problems" (for lack of a better word, meaning mental or physical disorders, etc, etc.) of ANY kind and bring awareness. They can show everyone that they are not perfect. Like you mentioned Christopher Reeve, just think of all the work he did with his Paralysis Foundation. Or someone like Michael J. Fox and his work with his Foundation for Parkinson's Research.

(BTW- it is Chris Burke) :)
Thanx for the correction. Chris Burke as a child,his family says,pointed to a UPS delivery truck...and said "I don't have Down syndrome..I have UP syndrome!"...shows how someone with a POSITIVE attitude can take something most people think of as NEGATIVE and overcome their issues to make something POSITIVE of themselves.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/10/05 at 12:23 pm

I am sure that it is real, and that there are people who do suffer from it.  I just don't think the whole publicity of ADD was a good thing at all... it is now the universal "excuse" by many for being in a bad mood, getting in fights, having frisky children, etc.  And now whenever I hear anyone say they have ADD it's like everyone rolls their eyes like "Oh puh-leeze"..  I just hope the same doesn't happen with PPD.  I can see it coming as the next "universal excuse" for shaken-baby syndrome, etc.  And as I said before, I just think it's very unfair to those who truly suffer from it.

I agree with you to an extent. The problem is some people are turning ADD into a "catch-all". I believe that a % of people do have it but they try to catagorize MOST kids with having it-not taking into concideration that most kids have a lot of engery.

As for people going on talk shows discribing their difficulties, I don't have a problem with that. A few decades ago, you never heard about these ailments and if someone was going through it, they probably thought they were going crazy. But, putting a name to it and knowing they are not alone, probably helps people out.

However, I do have a problem when people who don't know what they are talking about go on talk shows and tell other people they are wrong. Read: Tom Cruise.

Cat

Written By: Carrie on 07/11/05 at 1:48 am

I agree with you to an extent. The problem is some people are turning ADD into a "catch-all". I believe that a % of people do have it but they try to catagorize MOST kids with having it-not taking into concideration that most kids have a lot of engery.
I also believe it is an easy way out for teachers. "Get the kid some meds so we don't have to deal with him!" I know a lot of schools are understaffed for the amount of kids in the classroom, but some of it is just a way out of taking that little bit of extra time to work with someone. It is too bad that only a small portion of kids fall into the type of student all teachers want and expect and what most school systems cater to... the kid that sits quietly in the classroom, listens, does everything told and gets perfect scores on tests and perfect grades. Most kids are NOT like that. But, if you don't fall into that category, a lot of the time you are screwed.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/11/05 at 8:59 am

I also believe it is an easy way out for teachers. "Get the kid some meds so we don't have to deal with him!" I know a lot of schools are understaffed for the amount of kids in the classroom, but some of it is just a way out of taking that little bit of extra time to work with someone. It is too bad that only a small portion of kids fall into the type of student all teachers want and expect and what most school systems cater to... the kid that sits quietly in the classroom, listens, does everything told and gets perfect scores on tests and perfect grades. Most kids are NOT like that. But, if you don't fall into that category, a lot of the time you are screwed.

I have a friend who they tried to put her kid on ritilin. She basically told them to go to h3ll. Her kid is now 19? 20? and is turned out just fine. I applaud her for saying no.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/11/05 at 9:32 am

Growing up has alwasy been hard.  Too many people think children shouldn't have any problems with behavior or learning.  They go nuts when they're kid isn't an angel on the honor role and an ace athlete in the field.  The parents want to blame somebody.  There's too much blaming and too much shaming in our culture.
Maybe a lot of these "problems" aren't problems at all.  They just represent the challenges of learning and growing up.  Sometimes parents and educators need to meet these challenges free of chemical intervention, sometimes a medication is necessary in order for the child to meet the required standards.
The whole thing is imperfect.  Sometimes the parents and schools get it right, sometimes they get it wrong.  There are too many factors involved to impose a one-size-fits-all solution.
Old-fashioned discipline may work, Ritialin may work, but I guarantee shame and blame is a prescription for failure.  They are always counterproductive.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 07/11/05 at 11:53 am

Most kids have a lot of sugar.  ::)

Written By: saver on 07/11/05 at 9:41 pm

How about that upcoming 3 yr old basketball player...???

He eats and sleeps basketball! His parents must have read his mind and put him to work at training so he'll earn his college$$.

Isn't that sweet?
Are there any groups raising a ruckus for people to 'LET KIDS BE KIDS'?
But when that kid may slip and go bad..who caused that?

society?

Written By: Gis on 07/12/05 at 3:25 am

Yes, there are a VERY few woman who can;t, so few as to be infintesimal.  In most cases, doctors concinve woman that they can't for their own convinience.  "So how much did your kid eat today?"  "I don't know, he/she nursed from both sides and fell asleep."  MD's don't like that answer.  But, by the holies, its the right one.  Too many woman are convinced by their doctors that they can't nurse.  But think about the long history of humanity.  If women were not able to nurse in substatial numbers, we wouldn't be here.  I say again, there is nothing more wonderful, or moraculous, as seeing a mother nursing her child.  To me, it is the most wonderful site.  I now have two granddaughters, and both of them are nursed, and the sight is awe inspiring still.
Well I have to disagree with you here.There are far more than an 'infintesimal' number of women who cannot breastfeed ! I have had 3 or 4 friends who were unable to for different reasons, and suffered all the trauma and guilt of being made to feel they were complete and utter failures by the 'breast is best' brigade.I am well aware that medical research has proved that nursing is probably the best start a baby can have but I think it's appaling that people are made to feel failures because they can't do it.Maybe if you were in agony with cracked and bleeding nipples and a screaming baby you might think differently about bottles.
Also there are babies who will not feed no matter how hard you try.I know this because I was one.I refused point blank to feed and would have starved without a bottle, infact my mother fed the baby of the woman in the bed next to her because that lady was too ill to nurse her own baby !
Personally I have suffered no ill effects from being bottle fed.

Written By: Jessica on 07/12/05 at 3:47 am

Well I have to disagree with you here.There are far more than an 'infintesimal' number of women who cannot breastfeed ! I have had 3 or 4 friends who were unable to for different reasons, and suffered all the trauma and guilt of being made to feel they were complete and utter failures by the 'breast is best' brigade.I am well aware that medical research has proved that nursing is probably the best start a baby can have but I think it's appaling that people are made to feel failures because they can't do it.Maybe if you were in agony with cracked and bleeding nipples and a screaming baby you might think differently about bottles.
Also there are babies who will not feed no matter how hard you try.I know this because I was one.I refused point blank to feed and would have starved without a bottle, infact my mother fed the baby of the woman in the bed next to her because that lady was too ill to nurse her own baby !

That just brings to mind what happened after I gave birth. While I was still in the hospital, I was made to feel quite guilty about this because I wasn't producing enough milk/colostrum. The nurses made me feel like an incompetent fool. It also didn't help that I was staying in the same room as a woman who was lactating enough to feed the whole frickin' nursery.

It is true that some women can't breastfeed. I did so for as long as I could (I started producing milk after I got away from the Nazi nurses), but they went kaput after a few months. It might have also been due to the fact that I am taking birth control pills. And believe me, I'd much rather be taking those little pills than to have another surprise again. Don't get me wrong, I want more kids, but right now isn't the time. :P

On the topic of overzealous boob pushers, yeah I've ran into a lot of them. "Why aren't you breastfeeding?", "Breastfeeding is healthier", "You're doing your child harm by not breastfeeding", and so on. If I could, I would, but I can't. And it really isn't anyone's business on how I feed my kid. The same doctors who told me breastfeeding is good also told me not to feed Jason until he was older. Yeah right! He eats baby food and cereal and has done so since he was two months old, no problem. Doctors don't always know best.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/12/05 at 2:32 pm

My point remains.  Doctors and nurses like to be able to record how much an infant has taken in, and a nursing mother can't give that info.  As a result, some of them try to convince mothers that they can't nurse.  Cracked nipples can be cured, my ex experianced them and got over it.  For how many generations were bottles just not available? And for how many generations did humans nurse their babies and populate the world? 

Your 3 or 4 friends, who were convinved that they couldn't nurse, constitutes and "infintesimal" number even if they really couldn't, which I doubt.  I do not doubt that their doctors told them they couldn't.  Par for the course. 

But these are personal decisions, and I agree that no one should be made to feel either guilty or inadequate for secisions they make.  I just get a bit angry when doctors, for their own conveninience, convince women who want to nurse that they "can't".  Good doctors recognize that there are other ways, besides food intake, to guage the health of a new-born, and are willing to go the extra mile to support a nursing mother, even one who experiances sore nipples.

Written By: Gis on 07/13/05 at 1:48 am

Yes, for a few thousand years, bottles were not available, but "wet nurses" were and they were used by those women who couldn't (or wouldn't) nurse.  The days of doctors trying to convince mothers that they "can't" nurse are long gone.  MOST pediatricians (at least all that I've ever seen) try to convince you TO nurse.  I've had 2 regular peds for my kids and both wanted me to nurse, but I couldn't and they both accepted that.  I also don't recall either of them asking me to keep track of how much my children ate.

IMO, it's not the doctors who make women feel inadequate for not breastfeeding.
It's those whom I call "Nursing Nazis" who do so.  When I had my youngest child, I was visited in the hospital by one of these people who told me that there was nothing physically preventing me from nursing until even SHE (the La Leche League "expert") could not get anything to come out of my nipple after 3 "sessions" of 10-15 minutes each over about 1 1/2-2 hours with my son was screaming bloody murder because he was hungry and not getting anything to eat.  No offense, DC, but it's comments like some of the ones you've made regarding nursing on here that make women feel inadequate and guilty.

Agreed wholeheartedly ! Infact to be blunt that is exactly what my mother became ! 37 years ago there was no way of  expressing milk so my mother was literally climbing the walls in agony because no matter what they all tried I refused to breastfeed.As she likes to put it I was an awkward bugg*r even then ! She feed the baby from the next bed because his mother was too sick to produce milk.
The doctors in the U.K have very little to do with the 'nursing ' of the baby it comes down to tne nurses and midwives, and as Crazymom says they are very very anti bottle feeding and far from convincing you it's what you should be doing they are completely 'breast is best'.A casing point my friend had a baby last year and had to have an emergency C section.She then got an infection which the baby also got, this meant she was not producing milk. Despite that they made her try and feed him for 3 days before admiting she couldn't.She was in bits because she felt such a failure.   

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/13/05 at 6:10 pm

My appologies.  I in no way wanted, tried, indended to make anyone fee guilty about nurturing thier child.  In my defense let me say that I have seen 2 generations of kids in my family benefit from nursing, not just in terms of nutrician, but in many other ways.  Clearly, the "plan" is that every mother can nurse her child.  Sometimes mother nature goofs, that is true, and thank the Goddess that we now can make good those errors.  Please understand that I am not a "nursing nazi" in any way.  I have experianced pediatrricians who claimed to support nursing, and yet did everything they could to frustrate the effort.  Admittedly, that was 20 years ago, and I hope things have changed.  I still maintain that the overwhelming majority of woman CAN nurse their babies, and that what mother nature has provided is the best. 

Check for new replies or respond here...