» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: 21st century Secession

Written By: danootaandme on 07/02/05 at 5:38 am

I got this in the mail.  Thought it pretty good. 

Dear Red States:

We're ticked off at the way you've treated California, and we've decided we're leaving. We intend to form our own country, and we're taking the other Blue States with us.

In case you aren't aware, that includes Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois and all the Northeast. We believe this split will be beneficial to the nation, and especially to the people of the new country of New California.

To sum up briefly: You get Texas, Oklahoma and all the slave states.

We get stem cell research and the best beaches.

We get Elliot Spitzer. You get Ken Lay!

We get the Statue of Liberty. You get OpryLand.

We get Intel and Microsoft. You get Enron and WorldCom.

We get Harvard. You get Ole' Miss.

We get 85 percent of America's venture capital and entrepreneurs. You get Alabama.

We get two-thirds of the tax revenue, you get to make the red states pay their fair share.

Since our aggregate divorce rate is 22 percent lower than the Christian Coalition's, we get a bunch of happy families. You get a bunch of single moms.

Please be aware that Nuevo California will be pro-choice and anti-war, and we're going to want all our citizens back from Iraq at once. If you need people to fight, ask your evangelicals.

They have kids they're apparently willing to send to their deaths for no purpose, and they don't care if you don't show pictures of their children's caskets coming home. We do wish you success in Iraq, and hope that the WMDs turn up, but we're not willing ! to spend our resources in Bush's Quagmire.

With the Blue State so in hand, we will have firm control of 80 percent of the country's fresh water, more than 90 percent of the pineapple and lettuce, 92 percent of the nation's fresh fruit, 95 percent of America's quality wines (you can serve French wines at state dinners) 90 percent of all cheese, 90 percent of the high tech industry, most of the U.S. low-sulfur coal, all living redwoods, sequoias and condors, all the Ivy and Seven Sister schools, plus Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Cal Tech and MIT.

With the Red States, on the other hand, you will have to cope with 88 percent of all obese Americans (and their projected health care costs), 92 percent of all U.S. mosquitoes, nearly 100 percent of the tornadoes, 90 percent of the hurricanes, 99 percent of all Southern Baptists, virtually 100 percent of all televangelists, Rush Limbaugh, Bob Jones University, Clemson and the University of Georgia.

We get Hollywood and Yosemite, thank you! . Additionally, 38 percent of those in the Red states believe Jonah was actually swallowed by a whale, 62 percent believe life is sacred unless we're discussing the death penalty or gun laws, 44 percent say that evolution is only a theory, 53 percent that Saddam was involved in 9/11 and 61 percent of you crazy bastards believe you are people with higher morals than we lefties.

Sincerely,

Author Unknown in New California

Subject: Re: 21st century Secession

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/02/05 at 6:52 am

Iowa and Ohio were slave states?

and the best beaches.

The best beaches are in Florida, a red state.

We get Elliot Spitzer.

The AG of New York?テ窶堙つ You can have him.

you get to make the red states pay their fair share.

I guess the author doesn't know the biggest leech on the federal government is Washington D.C., which is also the most liberal area.

want all our citizens back from Iraq at once. If you need people to fight..

To bad 88% of the people in Iraq are from red states.テ窶堙つ Blue states are full of cowards.

we get a bunch of happy families.

Yeah right.

more than 90 percent of the pineapple and lettuce, 92 percent of the nation's fresh fruit, 95 percent of America's quality wines (you can serve French wines at state dinners) 90 percent of all cheese..

Why no mention of vegtables?

We get Hollywood and Yosemite.

We get Yellowstone, Stone Mountain, and Mt. Rushmore.テ窶堙つ And most of us will be more than happy to get rid of Hollywood.

62 percent believe life is sacred unless we're discussing the death penalty or gun laws...

Sorry I feel no sympathy for convicted serial killers.テ窶堙つ I'm sure the criminals will love the alternative punishment, namely 1 year in jail and therapy.テ窶堙つ Plus the city with the highest gun crime rate in America is Washington D.C., which has pretty much banned guns.テ窶堙つ Again D.C. is the most liberal area of the country.

100 percent of the tornadoes, 90 percent of the hurricanes

Why no mention of earthquakes?

99 percent of all Southern Baptists

I wonder where all the Catholics will be....

44 percent say that evolution is only a theory...

Somebody call the scientists, they still have evolution listed as a theory!

61 percent of you crazy bastards believe you are people with higher morals than we lefties.

We do.テ窶堙つ All you have to do is compare Jackson to San Francisco.

With the Blue State so in hand, we will have firm control of 80 percent of the country's fresh water, more than 90 percent of the pineapple and lettuce, 92 percent of the nation's fresh fruit, 95 percent of America's quality wines (you can serve French wines at state dinners) 90 percent of all cheese, 90 percent of the high tech industry, most of the U.S. low-sulfur coal, all living redwoods, sequoias and condors, all the Ivy and Seven Sister schools, plus Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Cal Tech and MIT.

With the Red States, on the other hand, you will have to cope with 88 percent of all obese Americans (and their projected health care costs), 92 percent of all U.S. mosquitoes, nearly 100 percent of the tornadoes, 90 percent of the hurricanes, 99 percent of all Southern Baptists, virtually 100 percent of all televangelists, Rush Limbaugh, Bob Jones University, Clemson and the University of Georgia.

This entire section is absurd.テ窶堙つ Anyone can list the pros and cons of red states and blue states, the author simply choose to lop-side it will all the average blue state pros and average red state cons.テ窶堙つ It's not our fault Alaska (where all those dang mosquitoes are) votes conservative.テ窶堙つ It's like comparing the Florida Marlins to the Texas Rangers and only talking about Florida's pitching and Texas's hitting.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/02/05 at 8:29 am

What about grain tariffs?  I don't look forward to the ten dollar loaf of bread!
::)

Here's a kernal of truth about the senate:  the Repugs love to lord over us their senatorial majority, but they neglect to mention those senators represent more cows than people.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/02/05 at 8:49 am

The best beaches are in Florida, a red state.

I wonder where all the Catholics will be....

Bit touchy about taking some of your own medicine GW.  You are known for this kind of post. 
Don't dish it out if you can't take it.  AND...

1. If you don't mind shark bites.
2. I guess you've never been to Boston ;D

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/02/05 at 11:55 am

so California will be anti-war?  LOL!  Ok then....lets invade them. 

You see without all those pesky blue states to complain about war, we'll just invade the places we want.  This includes California...and the other blue states.  Since you claim that you dont want to fight, it'll be easier to achive than a French Surrender. 

Oh, and when we take you over, blue states, you dont need to cry about the Geneva Convention and the UN.  We didnt sign those treaties... you guys did.  So, no need to complain when we torture you. 

I know the post was a joke...and this is a joke too (Im from New York...a blue state), but everytime I hear some idiot claim that the blue states should leave the Union I just laugh...

Oh, and as a New Yorker...you can have Elliott Spitzer!  In fact, take him now.  I want him personally to leave the Union

Written By: EthanM on 07/02/05 at 12:10 pm

In the book i wrote and i'm still working on revising, the blue states do secede - except for New York and a few others. I don't think that NY would possibly be allowed to secede without war since its too important economically. Oh, and nothing good comes out of the secession either.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/02/05 at 9:48 pm

We're ticked off at the way you've treated California, and we've decided we're leaving. We intend to form our own country, and we're taking the other Blue States with us.

We get 85 percent of America's venture capital and entrepreneurs. You get Alabama.

We get Hollywood and Yosemite, thank you! . Additionally, 38 percent of those in the Red states believe Jonah was actually swallowed by a whale, 62 percent believe life is sacred unless we're discussing the death penalty or gun laws, 44 percent say that evolution is only a theory, 53 percent that Saddam was involved in 9/11 and 61 percent of you crazy bastards believe you are people with higher morals than we lefties.

Sincerely,

I have cut this down to make a few comments.

For one, having escaped California for Alabama in 2003, I simply say you can have it!

California is such a broken state, I doubt it can be fixed.  Special interests so control the state, and the politicians think they can do anything without repercussions.  Grey Davis immediately comes to mind.  It is only when the population threatens to revolt (like when they tried to impose a 50 cent a gallon gas tax in 2003, when it was already $2.50+ a gallon) that the politicians finally back off for a few years, simply to try again later.

And while you may care about "venture capitol", I do not.  I know that the people in the "Heartland" tend to be the hardest working people I have ever met.  I make less then half as much as I did in LA, and I am twice as happy.  So you can have your venture capitol and your Intel and Microsoft and Ivy League colleges, I will keep my happiness.

And Hollywood?  Don't make me laugh.  I lived and worked there for years.  It is nothing but a slum.  So have fun with the crack dealers and hookers.  I am much happier living in a place where somebody smiles and says "God bless you" and means it, then where the local government has to worry about being sued because they accidentially sent out "Christmas Cards" instead of "Holiday Cards".

And lastly, nobody with common sense believes that Saddam had connections with 9/11.  However, there is absolutely no doubt that he had connections with AL-Queda AFTER 9/11.  To me, that is even worse.  Muammar Khadafi had connections with Al-Queda before 9/11, but notice how fast he booted them out.  Then again, Khadafi also told Saddam to get out of Kuwait in 1990, and look how well he listened then.

We live in a funny world, when the far left talks about succession (funny, it was the far left that tried to do that last time) and Muammar Khadafi looks like a voice of reason in that region of the world.  I guess we really do live in a world turned upside-down.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/02/05 at 10:04 pm

The south....because corn dogs, chicken and dumplings, sweet tea, and red velvet cake sure beat Philly cheese steaks.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/04/05 at 12:32 pm

The south....because corn dogs, chicken and dumplings, sweet tea, and red velvet cake sure beat Philly cheese steaks.

I don't think so!

Not even one in the South makes chicken and dumplings correctly, sweet tea isn't really sweet (it's just iced tea with some sugar in it - not enough btw to cut the bitter tea taste), and red velvet cake is just gross! Eww, corn dogs!

On a serious note, isn't it funny how those that strongly advocate war never go? They run their mouths on their computers and never are the first to volunteer to go? Why is that so?

Tanya

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/04/05 at 2:05 pm

Oh, and when we take you over, blue states, you dont need to cry about the Geneva Convention and the UN.テ窶堙つ We didnt sign those treaties... you guys did.テ窶堙つ So, no need to complain when we torture you.テ窶堙つ

The United States signed and ratified all four Geneva Conventions.テ窶堙つ We did not sign the two protocols of 1977 which merely amplified the wartime human rights outlined in the 1949 Geneva Convention.テ窶堙つ Afghanistan and Iraq didn't sign these either, hmmmm....
The United States signed and ratified the U.N on Oct. 24, 1945, along with China, France, UK, and the Soviet Union.

If the kill 'em all chickenhawks found some equivocal technicality with which to form a specious contrary argument, so be it, but those folks aren't worth the time of day anyway!

Written By: Satish on 07/04/05 at 2:19 pm

What, Microsoft isn't a crooked cartel that makes shoddy products as well?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/04/05 at 2:23 pm

What, Microsoft isn't a crooked cartel that makes shoddy products as well?

Yes, Microsoft engages in anti-competitive practices and their products suck eggs, but no one has accused Gates of of calling losses profits and stealing billions from employee accounts!

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/04/05 at 4:28 pm

The United States signed and ratified all four Geneva Conventions.テ窶堙つ We did not sign the two protocols of 1977 which merely amplified the wartime human rights outlined in the 1949 Geneva Convention.テ窶堙つ Afghanistan and Iraq didn't sign these either, hmmmm....
The United States signed and ratified the U.N on Oct. 24, 1945, along with China, France, UK, and the Soviet Union.

If the kill 'em all chickenhawks found some equivocal technicality with which to form a specious contrary argument, so be it, but those folks aren't worth the time of day anyway!

ah, Im saying that if there was a sucession, the country that signed those agreements would be in the blue states (DC is a blue area).  So, technicly, the red states wouldnt be held to it. 

Written By: Mushroom on 07/04/05 at 4:41 pm

On a serious note, isn't it funny how those that strongly advocate war never go? They run their mouths on their computers and never are the first to volunteer to go? Why is that so?

Tanya

Well, while I do not "advocate war", I would rather see a war done quickly *before* it becomes to late.  Nevile Chamberlin bragged about "Peace At Any Cost", and almost sunk Europe into a fascist empire.  I believe in peace, but as a wise man once said, "Peace must occasionally be watered in the blood of patriots".

And as for being a volunteer to go, I would go if I was able.

I served in the US Marines for 10 years, in the Infantry no less.  I was back less then a month from Japan when Iraq invaded Quwait.  My unit was preparing to go when I was in a vehicle accident.  My unit *did* go, and I was sent to another stateside unit.  I was discharged in 1993, completing my enlistment but being refused re-enlistment because of medical reasons (messed up right knee).

Nobody *wants* to fight if they are sane.  Nobody wants to go through the hardships that being an Infantryman means.  But that is the sacrifice we do, in order to keep our family and country safe.  Over and over again, I saw in Saddam just a reincarnation of Hitler.  He did genocide on his own people.  He invaded neighbors, each time useing lies to justify it (Hitler claimed Poland invaded him, Saddam claimed that Iran invaded him... both lies).  He would talk big to appease the "Peace At Any Cost" crowd, at the same time as he prepared himself for his next war.

We should have taken him out in 1991, but the UN mandate did not allow that.  The UN sat by and did nothing as he broke his own Cease Fire agreement time and time again.  Nobody in the military *wanted* to fight him, but not fighting him would have been much worse at a later date.

And remember, if not for my injury, I would have been with my unit (2nd Battalion 2nd Marine Regiment) in 1991.  I would not have been eligable to retire until 2003, so I would have still been in during the invasions of Afganistan and Iraq (Retirements were frozen).  Odds are, I would *still* be in, since I was planning on a 25-30 year career.

So what was that again about volunteering to go?

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/04/05 at 5:25 pm

I'm  not going to google it, but there was a mape of "the United Provinces of Canada, which included all the blue stares, and "Jususeland" which included all the red states, which would be in deep cow menure without the direct support and Congressional largess (pork barral) allowed by the blue states. 

Imagine a union between the blue states and Canada.  ALL the economic power centers of the US combined with all Canada's natural reseorces, and the "liberal" humanitarian, compasionate agendas of both.  This time it would be the red stares that would want to preserve the union.  Without it, the tooth fairy would never visit any one of them.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/05/05 at 12:15 am

How could I forget....funnel cake.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/05/05 at 12:24 am

How could I forget....funnel cake.

Leave the funnel cakes out of this. They are quite good!  :D  ;D

Tanya

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/05/05 at 12:30 am

So what was that again about volunteering to go?

I stand by what I say. It is apparent that you cannot go, even if you wanted to. But, I'm referring to those who can go, but don't even volunteer to go. They would prefer to say War, War, War and not do anything. Believe it or not, there are individuals who think war of any kind is a game and not something to be taken seriously. They want others to go sacrifice for them without committing themselves to it.

I commend those who wish to go, but due to retirement or disability (especially from being involved before) cannot. My father retired from the U.S. Marine Corps 22 years ago. So, as a military brat, I understand the trials and tribulations that come with war or military offenses, even from the sidelines.

Tanya

Written By: Im Batman on 07/05/05 at 2:49 am

Why this makes everyone in the Red State come across as uneducated, ignorant, redneck, hicks.

Then again, they were the ones who voted for Bush.  Hell, he's their president anyway.

And the best part of leaving the Red States?  They get to keep NASCAR!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/05/05 at 4:19 am

Why this makes everyone in the Red State come across as uneducated, ignorant, redneck, hicks.

Then again, they were the ones who voted for Bush.テ窶堙つ Hell, he's their president anyway.

And the best part of leaving the Red States?テ窶堙つ They get to keep NASCAR!!!

Come up to my neck of the woods sometime.  I'm in a navy blue area of a blue state, but we have plenty of ignorant redneck hicks.  You just have to know where to look.  Start at the University frat row.  They tend to be ignorant red neck hicks from New Jersey, with money.  One of the worst sub-species!

Oh, don't forget that Southern Fried Steak, heart attack on a plate!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/05/05 at 4:30 am

Oh, don't forget that Southern Fried Steak, heart attack on a plate!

Sheesh, how on Earth did I forget that one!?

Written By: Mushroom on 07/06/05 at 9:01 pm

I stand by what I say. It is apparent that you cannot go, even if you wanted to. But, I'm referring to those who can go, but don't even volunteer to go.

And who could that be?  Remember, the cut-off age to join the military is 28.  I doubt that there is a single member of Congress that is even close to that.  But there are quite a few with children that are (or have been) there.

Sergeant Brooks Johnson, the son of South Dakota Democratic Senator Tim Johnson, serves in the 101st Airborne Division and fought in Iraq in 2003.

The son of California Republican Representative Duncan Hunter quit his job after September 11, and enlisted in the Marines; his artillery unit was deployed in the heart of insurgent territory in February 2004.

Republican Congressman Todd Akin said his 24-year-old son, Marine Corps Second Lieutenant Perry Akin, recently was helping his men build a surveillance post in Iraq.
That's when insurgents targeted the work site, dropping in a mortar round that landed ten feet from the younger Akin. His father says the mortar turned out to be a dud.

Perry Akin heads a platoon in the Second Combat Engineers Battalion. His father is a member of the House Armed Services Committee.

Rep. Joe Wilson gets regular progress reports on the Iraq war from generals and Pentagon officials as a member of the House Armed Services Committee. But since February, the most meaningful battlefield updates have come from his son Alan, an Army National Guard intelligence officer in Iraq. Wilson is a South Carolina Republican.

Rep. John Kline Minnesota Republican has nothing to fear the next time filmmaker Michael Moore is looking to embarrass lawmakers whose children don't serve in the military. Kline's son, Maj. John D. Kline, will ship off to Iraq this fall as part of the Army's 101st Airborne Division.

Wow, that is quite a few children.  So while they themselves are not fighting, their children are.  Do you really think that they would trade the lives of their children for nothing?

(The excerpts are taken from the following site)
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/6/21/04349/3687

And of course Chicago Mayor Richard Daley (Democrat) was one of the first to blast Sen. Dick Durbin for his attacks on the Policies and the Military actions in Iraq. 

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/062105_ap_ns_daley_durbin.html

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/07/05 at 7:39 am

www.dailykos.com/story/2005/6/21/04349/3687

You too, Mushroom?

Written By: Mushroom on 07/07/05 at 4:21 pm

You too, Mushroom?

I really do not know anything about that website, nor do I look for political bias when I do research.  That site simply had a great listing of the members of Congress who have children in the military.

I tend to use a great many sources for my data when I make a post.  Google and Google News are great resources for looking up facts and information.  As is Wikipedia.  Wikipedia and Google are how I find (or confirm) most of my data.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/07/05 at 4:49 pm

And who could that be?  Remember, the cut-off age to join the military is 28.  I doubt that there is a single member of Congress that is even close to that.  But there are quite a few with children that are (or have been) there.

Sergeant Brooks Johnson, the son of South Dakota Democratic Senator Tim Johnson, serves in the 101st Airborne Division and fought in Iraq in 2003.

The son of California Republican Representative Duncan Hunter quit his job after September 11, and enlisted in the Marines; his artillery unit was deployed in the heart of insurgent territory in February 2004.

Republican Congressman Todd Akin said his 24-year-old son, Marine Corps Second Lieutenant Perry Akin, recently was helping his men build a surveillance post in Iraq.
That's when insurgents targeted the work site, dropping in a mortar round that landed ten feet from the younger Akin. His father says the mortar turned out to be a dud.

Perry Akin heads a platoon in the Second Combat Engineers Battalion. His father is a member of the House Armed Services Committee.

Rep. Joe Wilson gets regular progress reports on the Iraq war from generals and Pentagon officials as a member of the House Armed Services Committee. But since February, the most meaningful battlefield updates have come from his son Alan, an Army National Guard intelligence officer in Iraq. Wilson is a South Carolina Republican.

Rep. John Kline Minnesota Republican has nothing to fear the next time filmmaker Michael Moore is looking to embarrass lawmakers whose children don't serve in the military. Kline's son, Maj. John D. Kline, will ship off to Iraq this fall as part of the Army's 101st Airborne Division.

Wow, that is quite a few children.  So while they themselves are not fighting, their children are.  Do you really think that they would trade the lives of their children for nothing?

(The excerpts are taken from the following site)
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/6/21/04349/3687

And of course Chicago Mayor Richard Daley (Democrat) was one of the first to blast Sen. Dick Durbin for his attacks on the Policies and the Military actions in Iraq. 

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/062105_ap_ns_daley_durbin.html

Your list includes 5 congress kids - I would guess there are more even without going to your link, and I admire their willingness to serve.  But where are the Bush daughters, aside from partying, and the Cheney kids - does Rummy have kids?  And where were all these older chickenhawks when they had the opportunity to serve? 

Frankly, I think both sides of this debate are a bit spurious, and a bit rediculous. 

Written By: Satish on 03/17/08 at 9:07 am

The AG of New York? You can have him.

Oh, and as a New Yorker...you can have Elliott Spitzer!  In fact, take him now.  I want him personally to leave the Union

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I don't think there's anyone who'd want Eliot Spitzer, now!  ;D

Written By: Tia on 03/17/08 at 9:28 am

i have that jesusland map on my hard drive at home somewhere. funny stuff.

this whole thing reminds me of the "metro v retro" thing from a few years back.

8/25/2004
Retro vs. Metro

Filed under: General窶 jake @ 12:09 pm
I thought this was a pretty interesting take on the present state of things:

Not Red vs. Blue States, But 窶漏etro窶 vs. 窶弄etro窶
Author: Polipoint Press

The United States has become, in effect, two nations 窶 divided by
history, ethnicity, culture, religion, economics and, especially now,
its politics, a new book argues.

In The Great Divide: Retro vs. Metro America, the authors name these two nations 窶彝etro America窶 and 窶廴etro America,窶 instead of the commonly used 窶徨ed and blue窶 states. Retro America consists of the South, the Plains states, the Mountain West and Appalachia. Metro America is the Northeast coast, the West coast and the Great Lakes states.

There is, the authors note, a potential electoral and congressional
majority in Metro states that can restore the Democrats to power without appealing to Retro America for support.

Minority Rule and Huge Subsidies

Retro America, through its alliance with the Republican Party, now
dominates all three branches of the U.S. government, even though it
holds only one-third of the country窶冱 population.

It is heavily dependent on government subsidies that underpin oil, gas
and coal interests, large-scale farming and military installations, and
low-wage manufacturing. It receives far more in federal money than it
pays in taxes each year.

The Republican Party has taken advantage of flaws in the outdated
electoral college system, as well as constitutional guarantees given
small states two centuries ago, to build a powerful base even as the
Retro population shrinks. In 2004, 13 small states in Retro America with
a combined population of just over 18 million had electoral college
voting power equal to California, with its 34 million residents.

A 窶彝etro窶 minority is effectively running roughshod on the values and
agenda of the Metro majority who live in more urban, economically
prosperous, and culturally diverse Metro urban-suburban areas.

The Great Divide: Retro vs. Metro America is written by John Sperling,
one of the nation窶冱 most successful entrepreneurs and the founder of the University of Phoenix, in collaboration with a team of political and
economic analysts.

Retro America is made up of 25 states where low wages, subsidies,
religious zealotry and social rigidity trump diversity, innovation and
educational and scientific achievement. They are states dominated by a
mostly rural, conservative, intolerant white male political leadership
(though many have large, poor minority populations) for whom social
services, public education and economic and cultural change are more
worrisome than welcome.

Metro America is the Country窶冱 Economic Engine

Metro America, on the other hand, is the nation窶冱 engine of economic
growth and innovation. It has two-thirds of the country窶冱 population,
mostly urban and suburban. Some Metro states have important agricultural sectors, but their real growth is in financial and other service industries, which alone account for 41% of the nation窶冱 total gross domestic product, as well as in major manufacturing.

More than 80% of all high technology jobs are in Metro America, and
Metro America residents pay the taxes that subsidize Retro states. In
the 10-year period between 1991-2001, nearly $1.7 trillion in federal
tax transfers went from Metro America to Retro America. Ironically,
Retro America politicians frequently speak against government spending and taxation, even as they work to preserve this skewed status quo.

Democrats Can Win With Metro Votes

The Great Divide: Metro vs. Retro America says there are enough
potential votes in Metro America for Democrats to win and take the
country back without watering down their message to try to woo
independent and Republican voters in the Retro states.

Instead, say the authors, the Democrats must turn out the numerical
advantage they have in Metro America to regain control of the Presidency and the House of Representatives. Only then can they unite the country and curtail the subsidy revenue transfers that deprive the entire country of the funds it needs for infrastructure 窶 schools, housing and crucial social services for an increasing urban population.

窶弋he values of Retro society are now triumphant in Washington,窶 says
businessman Sperling and his co-authors, economists Suzanne W. Helburn, John R. Morris and Carl E. Hunt and political strategist Samuel George. 窶弋he Radical Right path now being blazed by President Bush and the Republican Party of God, Flag, and Family is leading all of America back to Retro, rather than forward to Metro America,窶 they write.

Some states on each side of The Great Divide have elements
characteristic of states on the other side. For example, six states that
voted Republican in 2000 窶 Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Ohio, New
Hampshire and Virginia 窶 have more in common economically and
culturally with Metro America.

Pockets of cultural sophistication, religious tolerance, and modern
economic development also exist in Retro America, but vast changes in
politics are necessary before Retro states join Metro states in a modern
and unified 21st century economy. Only if a Metro majority government takes power, will the investments in science, technology and education take place across all of America to propel all citizens forward, according to the authors.

Welfare for the Retro States

Retro states are dependent on subsidy-heavy industries and federally
supported military installations. These interests today are looked after
by some 53 members of the Bush Administration who have close ties to the energy and other extraction industries of Retro America. Dozens of
additional political appointees are similarly connected, as are at least
ten Congressional committee chairs and ranking members. The political
clout of Retro states cannot be overstated.

This industrial base of Retro America is a remnant of America窶冱 old
economy, with little potential for growth. The nation窶冱 recent economic
innovation and progress is taking place almost exclusively in Metro
America, which also bears the tax burden that provides welfare payments to Retro America.

Race and Religion

Blacks and women have little voice in Retro America, particularly in
Republican Party politics and policies. To embrace America窶冱 growing
diversity would end the White spoils system that the Republican Party
has operated for decades.

Among the privileges the Republican Party indulges in on behalf of Retro
America is an apparent right to reject facts in favor of faith. By a
substantial percentage difference, more Retros than Metros think that
Biblical principles should be applied to areas of major domestic
policies. The Bush Administration often acts on a fundamentalist,
faith-based willingness to ignore or twist scientific data that
contradicts a Biblical worldview, say the authors.

Culture and Science

The book contends that, 窶廢ducation and science are major artifacts of
culture. By every index of excellence in education at every grade level
and in every subject 窶 arts, science, and technology 窶 Metro America
always excels.窶

A powerful religious minority in the Retro states has shaped communities that perceive cultural expression, higher education and scientific innovation as a threat. This is echoed by legislatures in Retro states, which often impose Christian values on education with laws on
窶彳volution窶 and prayer, and assign low priority to spending for schools,
higher education and research, and museums, theaters and concert halls.

The Great Divide: Retro vs. Metro America presents a new thesis about
divisions in America that grow more alarming each day. Democratic
pollster Celinda Lake, who assembled and supervised the book窶冱 public
opinion research, notes that often 窶徼he political parties magnify the
Metro/Retro differences by adopting policies designed to divide rather
than unite.窶

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/17/08 at 11:08 am

http://revolutioninjesusland.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/jesusland_liberty.gif

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/17/08 at 3:04 pm

I don't think so!

Not even one in the South makes chicken and dumplings correctly, sweet tea isn't really sweet (it's just iced tea with some sugar in it - not enough btw to cut the bitter tea taste), and red velvet cake is just gross! Eww, corn dogs!

Tanya

The South doesn't have the luxury of Turkey Hill iced tea.  Nor can they make clam chowder.  Nor do they even know of the concept of chicken corn soup. :)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/17/08 at 3:23 pm

http://revolutioninjesusland.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/jesusland_liberty.gif

This is why they should not allow kids to be homeschooled south of the Mason-Dixon line.  Of course the West has the libertarian tradition to uphold along with their Christianity.  Not as nasty as the South though.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/17/08 at 3:27 pm

This is why they should not allow kids to be homeschooled south of the Mason-Dixon line.

I doubt the public schools are much better :P

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/17/08 at 3:30 pm

I doubt the public schools are much better :P

In Texas they like to have courses in cosmetology and poise as 8th grade curriculum.  Science is usually avoided.  They like their girls pretty and empty headed.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/17/08 at 5:28 pm

Elliot Spitzer ken lay lots of high-priced callgirls!
:D

Written By: Macphisto on 03/17/08 at 8:24 pm

Hey, I'm all in favor of cutting us into about 6 pieces -- as long as I get to pick where the borders are.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/17/08 at 11:16 pm

Elliot Spitzer ken lay lots of high-priced callgirls!
:D

Good pun, Max.

I don't think there will be a 21st century seccession, but a 21st century revolution is not out of the realm of possibility.

Oh, color Virginia purple in the "Jesusland" picture....

Ant

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/19/08 at 2:35 pm

Well, you all know which side of the border I live on.

Nice knowing you all.  :-\\

Written By: Tia on 03/19/08 at 2:37 pm

Well, you all know which side of the border I live on.

Nice knowing you all.  :-\\
actually i think the border might be more urban/rural than north/south, although i'm not sure you're on the right side of that border either. :P

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/19/08 at 4:15 pm

I got this in the mail.  Thought it pretty good. 

Dear Red States:

In case you aren't aware, that includes Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois and all the Northeast. We believe this split will be beneficial to the nation, and especially to the people of the new country of New California.

We get stem cell research and the best beaches.

We get the Statue of Liberty. You get OpryLand.

We get Harvard. You get Ole' Miss.

We get two-thirds of the tax revenue, you get to make the red states pay their fair share.

Since our aggregate divorce rate is 22 percent lower than the Christian Coalition's, we get a bunch of happy families. You get a bunch of single moms.

Please be aware that Nuevo California will be pro-choice and anti-war, and we're going to want all our citizens back from Iraq at once. If you need people to fight, ask your evangelicals.

They have kids they're apparently willing to send to their deaths for no purpose, and they don't care if you don't show pictures of their children's caskets coming home. We do wish you success in Iraq, and hope that the WMDs turn up, but we're not willing ! to spend our resources in Bush's Quagmire.

Sincerely,

I see what all this is about now. Notice that "Author Unknown" made a reference to "Nuevo California."

This isn't about "red state vs. blue state." This is really about the "reconquista" movement.

Perhaps this map is a more accurate reflection as to what "Author Unknown in New California" is really after.

http://www.americanpatrol.com/AZTLAN/IMAGES/AztlanMapNewAmerican.jpg

I am not fooled.

United we stand, divided we fall.  >:(

Written By: Tia on 03/19/08 at 4:44 pm

I am not fooled.

it's that onslaught of mexican jumping beans and south american killer bees! they're gonna jump and buzz right over the border into our beloved USA!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/20/08 at 8:25 am

it's that onslaught of mexican jumping beans and south american killer bees! they're gonna jump and buzz right over the border into our beloved USA!

Modern advances in anesthesia will be replace by the worm at the bottom of a bottle of Tequila.  Manama's revenge will be the newest "plaque".  Don't think the U.S. can handle it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/20/08 at 6:50 pm

I see what all this is about now. Notice that "Author Unknown" made a reference to "Nuevo California."

This isn't about "red state vs. blue state." This is really about the "reconquista" movement.

Perhaps this map is a more accurate reflection as to what "Author Unknown in New California" is really after.

I am not fooled.

Fool me once shame....shame on you....fool me can't get fooled again!

Written By: Macphisto on 03/20/08 at 6:55 pm

Here's how I'd divide it....

http://i26.tinypic.com/140d9tu.jpg

Alaska and Hawaii would be their own countries.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/21/08 at 8:18 am

I would have thought New England would be New Canada.  Politically and socially speaking they're more en-lined with Canada.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/21/08 at 1:48 pm

Damn.

That means I'd have to get a passport to visit my family.

Which would turn a trip that would normally take three hours into a six or seven hour ordeal, since every time I'd cross the border from "New Canada" to "The Heartland," the "Heartland" customs agents would spend three or four hours searching my car for marijuana, cheap prescription drugs, Cuban cigars, and back bacon.  :D

Besides, it seems obvious that you've never been to Missouri (especially the southern half), I think they'd be more inclined to ally themselves with either "The Heartland" or "The Dixie Republic."

And Arkansas and Louisiana would definitely rather be in "The Dixie Republic" than "The Heartland," I can tell you that for sure.  ;)

Written By: La Roche on 03/21/08 at 1:53 pm

Damn.

That means I'd have to get a passport to visit my family.

Which would turn a trip that would normally take three hours into a six or seven hour ordeal, since every time I'd cross the border from "New Canada" to "The Heartland," the "Heartland" customs agents would spend three or four hours searching my car for marijuana, cheap prescription drugs, Cuban cigars, and back bacon.  :D

Besides, it seems obvious that you've never been to Missouri (especially the southern half), I think they'd be more inclined to ally themselves with either "The Heartland" or "The Dixie Republic."

And Arkansas and Louisiana would definitely rather be in "The Dixie Republic" than "The Heartland," I can tell you that for sure.  ;)

Don't worry bro, us country folk just have to learn our place, after all, them clever northern folk would never deceive us simple sorts would they?  ???

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/21/08 at 2:42 pm

I got your map right here.  ;)

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/usa_color.gif

(Not sure about Alaska and Hawaii, though.)

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/21/08 at 2:54 pm

I'm  not going to google it, but there was a mape of "the United Provinces of Canada, which included all the blue stares, and "Jususeland" which included all the red states, which would be in deep cow menure without the direct support and Congressional largess (pork barral) allowed by the blue states. 

Imagine a union between the blue states and Canada.  ALL the economic power centers of the US combined with all Canada's natural reseorces, and the "liberal" humanitarian, compasionate agendas of both.  This time it would be the red stares that would want to preserve the union.  Without it, the tooth fairy would never visit any one of them.

It's on this site...somewhere.

Living in a Purple area of a Red state, I have some cynicisim with Bush (Especially right now.)

But many people want to live in the coastal states which everything is high. And if I lived on the coast, I would be more cynical with Bush.

Check for new replies or respond here...