» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Happy Independence Day!

Written By: ADH13 on 07/04/05 at 2:51 pm

Well, America is now 229 years old!

To any of you that are Americans, do you know how you came to be one??? 

Here's a little story about part of my family.

My great-grandparents came to the US from Italy in the very late 1800's, and came through Ellis Island.  They settled in Manhattan NY, where my paternal grandfather was born.  Although they were strict Catholics, my grandfather married a Jew.  (A big no-no back then)  My grandfather's Italian family quickly came to accept this, but my grandmother's Jewish family was not so understanding.  She was disowned by the family.  They moved to Brooklyn, where they had two boys, one of which was my father.  My father, growing up, did not know any of his mother's side of the family.  They wanted nothing to do with them, since they were so angry with her for marrying an Italian Catholic.  My grandfather and grandmother both died very young.  I wasn't even born yet, so I never got to meet them.  It wasn't until after they were gone, and I was a toddler, that the younger generations of his Jewish family decided to contact my father.  By this time, inter-religious marriages were becoming more accepted, and the younger generations were much more open minded.  The older generations, though, were still reluctant.  Finally, in the mid 1980's, one of his Jewish uncles invited us to a wedding, at the urging of one of the younger relatives.  I only met these people once.  I remember most of the men spoke fluent English, but the elderly ladies spoke very little.  I'm not sure what their native language was.  I remember thinking it was strange that these old ladies had tattoos.  I later found out that those tattoos were put on them in concentration camps.

Subject: Re: Happy Independence Day!

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/04/05 at 5:52 pm

Cool, but you're 2 days late.  On July 2nd, 1776, the Continental Congress adaopted Richard Henry Lee's resolution declaring these thireteen colonies free and soverieng states, owing no obligatrion to the Bitish cown.  Two days later, CVongress adopted Mr Jefferson's Decaration explaining WHY we declared our independence.  So, our celebration should begin on July 2 and continue at least to the 4th, or to the date when the final delegate signed, pledging his life, fourtue, and sacred honor to thr cause.

Written By: McDonald on 07/05/05 at 12:09 am

I would personally like to thank the 13 original colonies for the gift of independence. Especially good old New York State. ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 07/05/05 at 1:53 pm

Well, America is now 229 years old!

To any of you that are Americans, do you know how you came to be one??? 

Le's see....There is the Dutch side that came here in the late 16 early 1700's, the Africans from
the same time, the French in the early 18's the Native Americans that I can't put a date to, the English
from the 16/1700s.  So I came to be here in the old/new fashioned way.  My ancestors left, were thrown
out, or dragged kicking and screaming.  ;)

Written By: nally on 07/05/05 at 1:58 pm

Happy (1 day late) Independence Day! :)

Written By: Brian Damaged on 07/05/05 at 2:12 pm

My adopting ancestors came on a boat a couple hundred years ago, and my birth ancestors came on a boat about 150 years later.  And I can't even swim!

Written By: danootaandme on 07/05/05 at 5:59 pm

Happy (1 day late) Independence Day! :)

Actually among older African Americans the fifth of July was given a nod as Independence Day because
for African Americans "freedom came a day later"

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/06/05 at 6:03 pm

Actually among older African Americans the fifth of July was given a nod as Independence Day because
for African Americans "freedom came a day later"

For African Americans freedom came several decades too late.  Just think how differant this country could have been if in 1776 those flawed human beings had been able to rise above their limits and make this a really "free" country.  Adams wanted it, and his wife Abigail wanted women included.  So the struggle goes on.  And so we should all commit oursevles to continuing the struggle to expand on and enlarge the scope of freedom and equality to which those flawed dead white guys directed us.

Check for new replies or respond here...