» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: London attack

Written By: MooRocca on 07/07/05 at 8:53 am

If you haven't heard, yet, you might want to get your eyes and/or ears on a news source. 

Subject: Re: London attack

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/07/05 at 11:11 am

My thoughts go out to all those affected by this terrorist act.

Me too.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/07/05 at 12:15 pm

I live and work in London, and I have spent the whole in shock, phoning around to make sure that my family is safe.

Written By: saver on 07/07/05 at 3:18 pm

That group who was involved has some REALLL bad karma coming their way!

Cowards and losers.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/07/05 at 3:28 pm

My thoughs go out to all our friends across the pond.  What else can one say?

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/07/05 at 3:52 pm

I live and work in London, and I have spent the whole in shock, phoning around to make sure that my family is safe.

I just received an e-mail from my mother saying they think my family in London is alright, however i have a Cousin who hasn't been heard from and he uses the tube every day.

He actually carry's a Flashlight, Supplies and God knows what else in his breifcase, people living in and around London have expected this for a long time.

Written By: MooRocca on 07/07/05 at 4:01 pm

I'm glad you're OK, Philip (well, as OK as can be expected under such stressful circumstances.) I hope the rest of your family is safe and well.    Alcoholica, ditto to you and I'm keeping a good thought for your cousin to turn up alive & well.  (hugs)   

Written By: Paul on 07/07/05 at 4:54 pm

I just received an e-mail from my mother saying they think my family in London is alright, however i have a Cousin who hasn't been heard from and he uses the tube every day.

He actually carry's a Flashlight, Supplies and God knows what else in his breifcase, people living in and around London have expected this for a long time.

Too right we have...

Fingers crossed that your cousin's okay, Andy...keep us posted...

Well, the IRA didn't stop me earning a crust and neither will this bunch of toerags...back to work tomorrow!

Written By: philbo on 07/07/05 at 5:16 pm

"Nation of Islam and Arab nation: Rejoice for it is time to take revenge against the British Zionist Crusader government in retaliation for the massacres Britain is committing in Iraq and Afghanistan. The heroic mujahideen have carried out a blessed raid in London. Britain is now burning with fear, terror and panic in its northern, southern, eastern, and western quarters."

er... "Zionist Crusader"???

Sad to think that people have been killed by jerks who don't know what the fudge they're talking about. Assuming this bunch of schoolboy fanatics actually did organize today's excitement... but then I suppose bombing the hell out of people is easier on the mind than reading some history.

Written By: McDonald on 07/07/05 at 5:37 pm

My condolences and sympathies are with the British people.

Written By: nally on 07/07/05 at 5:42 pm

Mine too.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/07/05 at 6:13 pm

Andy your cousin is in my thoughts and prayers.  Keep us posted.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/07/05 at 6:15 pm

Mine too.

Same here....

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/07/05 at 6:16 pm

Same here.  :\'(

What a shocking and totally senseless act!!  >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/07/05 at 8:12 pm

For my condolences, see the thread on the 2000s board.

Politically speaking...
I know by now the political fallout of terrorist bombings.  It's as predictable as the waxing and waning of the moon.  The American Right will browbeat the Europeans, the liberals, and the Democrats.  The Republicans will saber-rattle and get the yahoos and rednecks riled up and freaked out about "terrorism."  The pundits will ask why the rest of the Muslim world doesn't condemn the London bombings.  They will accuse the New York Times of "giving aid and comfort to the enemy."  Any Democrat, any liberal, who suggests political policies pursued by Bush and Blair has anything to do with the attacks will be charged with "politicizing" this tragedy.
The broadcast media will invite liberal pipsqueaks and right-wing louts to duke it out on the shout shows.  The liberals will only be able to say, "but, but, but..." as the louts slap them down with hostile invective.
The Right is free to use these butchered Londoners as a political football, but no one must dare to offer even mild criticism of the Bush or Blair administrations.
The authoritiarians in the right-wing think tanks and the Administration will cast dire warnings of how "we're next, so you liberals better shut your mouths and do as your told."  The Big Brother-types will tell us it's time to sacrifice our privacy and freedom of speech for our own good!
This is soooo tedious and nauseating!!!
>:(

Written By: McDonald on 07/07/05 at 9:00 pm

Seriously, all Faux News could talk about today was how this incident was another reason that the Patriot Act needs to be passed indefinitely, to heighten our security. Goddam fascists.

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/07/05 at 9:05 pm

Andy your cousin is in my thoughts and prayers.  Keep us posted.

I e-mailed my mother twice asking for any news but she hasn't sent anything back.. it is the middle of the night there though so i expect i shall know in the morning.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/07/05 at 11:36 pm

Seriously, all Faux News could talk about today was how this incident was another reason that the Patriot Act needs to be passed indefinitely, to heighten our security. dang fascists.

My main man Mr. Roast Beef William Bennett was saying Britain needs it's own Patriot Act.  Bennett is one of these guys who gets LESS mature as he ages!  Sheesh!

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/08/05 at 12:06 am

For some reason I couldn't access the website yesterday, so I am offering you (the UK as a whole and Londoners in particular) my condolences and sympathy only today. These attacks once again show that terrorists will always find a target, however frightening the thought.

I always find it silly (not the right word for it, I know) to see how the whole world gets EXTRA alert right AFTER any attack of this kind. As if terrorists don't know that bombings will draw attention to them... I mean, if I was a terrorist, I'd be darnright stupid to try and bomb something these days.

Written By: scarletgail on 07/08/05 at 1:15 am

so so sad :\'( my thoughts and prayers are with the victims and thier families

Written By: goodsin on 07/08/05 at 1:36 am

Again, my thoughts are with those in London or with friends/ relatives there. Alcoholica raised the subject of Blair's speeches on the 2000's board thread, I'd like to comment on that here.
I'm in no way a fan of Blair, I think he's a lying, toadying ego-tripper, who probably had a major hand in provoking this incident by his support of the US in Iraq. I watched the second speech he gave yesterday (about 6pm BST) live, and was actually very moved by his words & demeanour. I believe he was right to state we should not be cowed by this, it's hard to 'carry on as normal', but if we don't, the terrorists have won. I believe he was nearly in tears at the end of the speech, and so was I, but think he performed with the correct mix of strength & feeling.

I'd also like to add that sadly, I think most of Maxwell's post above (re "Politically speaking"), will prove to be true, but with our Blairites replacing the vocal US Right in our follow-up debates.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/05 at 2:04 am

I have just heard on the news that seven of the dead were Australian.

Written By: goodsin on 07/08/05 at 2:19 am

I have just heard on the news that seven of the dead were Australian.

That's the thing about these acts of madness, they aren't targetted against the real aggressors, just 'soft' targets. My feelings go out to the Australians affected by this, it seems particularly foul to be killed in an attack on a country you are just visiting. Senseless bloody madness.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/08/05 at 2:40 am

Officials: Unexploded Devices Discovered in London
ABC News
07/07/05

July 7, 2005 — U.S. authorities tell ABC News that British police have recovered two unexploded bombs from the scene of the terror attacks in London.

In addition, British investigators say that parts of timing devices have been recovered from the blast scene that would have been used to detonate an explosive device. This could provide evidence that would help determine who was behind the attacks, sources told ABC News.

Link: http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Investigation/story?id=918193

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/british/images/vc86c.jpg

--The worst part of all?  That old George Galloway is already making in as* of himself by blaming Tony Blair.

Written By: goodsin on 07/08/05 at 3:38 am

--The worst part of all?  That old George Galloway is already making in as* of himself by blaming Tony Blair.

I normally commend Galloway for his work in patching up relations between Muslims & non-Muslims, but I think he needs to 'pipe down' with his polarised political statements for a few days. Blair must take some responsibility for inciting this act, however, as it is appears to be a result of him supporting the US in Iraq.

Written By: karen on 07/08/05 at 4:11 am

Officials: Unexploded Devices Discovered in London
ABC News
07/07/05

July 7, 2005 — U.S. authorities tell ABC News that British police have recovered two unexploded bombs from the scene of the terror attacks in London.

In addition, British investigators say that parts of timing devices have been recovered from the blast scene that would have been used to detonate an explosive device. This could provide evidence that would help determine who was behind the attacks, sources told ABC News.

Link: http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Investigation/story?id=918193

Hmmm.... I couldn't find anything on the BBC site to confirm this.  It did confirm that the timing devices had been found but nothing about the unexploded bombs.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/08/05 at 5:49 am

For some reason I couldn't access the website yesterday, so I am offering you (the UK as a whole and Londoners in particular) my condolences and sympathy only today.

The same happened to me.  I wasn't able to access and it was frustrating.  I was thinking of all of
you across the pond and how there isn't much to say except we are thinking of you and hoping
all is well for you.    :(

Written By: goodsin on 07/08/05 at 8:18 am

Hmmm.... I couldn't find anything on the BBC site to confirm this.  It did confirm that the timing devices had been found but nothing about the unexploded bombs.

Hmm, haven't seen much about the unexploded bombs either. Swindon's rail station & town centre were sealed off by police yesterday, it turns out that both were for bomb scares- the Bomb Squad carried out a controlled explosion on a train in Swindon train station, and another central office had also reported a suspect package. We live 80 miles from London, FCS!

Written By: Mushroom on 07/08/05 at 9:35 am

For my condolences, see the thread on the 2000s board.

Politically speaking...
I know by now the political fallout of terrorist bombings.  It's as predictable as the waxing and waning of the moon.  The American Right will browbeat the Europeans, the liberals, and the Democrats.  The Republicans will saber-rattle and get the yahoos and rednecks riled up and freaked out about "terrorism."  The pundits will ask why the rest of the Muslim world doesn't condemn the London bombings.  They will accuse the New York Times of "giving aid and comfort to the enemy."  Any Democrat, any liberal, who suggests political policies pursued by Bush and Blair has anything to do with the attacks will be charged with "politicizing" this tragedy.

OK, and what should our (and England's) response be to terrorists?

Remember, we were not even involved in Afganistan when we were attacks by terrorists based there.  And after they fled, they continued their attacsk from bases in Iraq.

I myself am sick to death of people politicizing attacks like this.  There are no politics, they are simply the acts of insane zealots, who do not want compromise, and will only be happy when the entire world fits their "world view".

So do you think England should pull back, and leave Iraq and Afganistan?  With people like this appeasement does not good.  They just keep attacking until they get what they want.  And they do not give a damn about non-combatiants.  To them, everybody wounded and killed is a "political target".  If you do not believe me, simply ask the relatives of the Israeli athletes in 1972.

Terrorists can't be reasoned with.  They can't be negotiated with, because they feel free to break any agreement they make if it pushes their own goals forward.  So unless you want the world to just roll over and let them have free reign everywhere, they must be attacked back.

If I was to follow your logic, then I would stop locking my car and door, because they will only break in anyways.  I would stop calling the police, because they (or the criminals) might get hurt in an altercation.

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/08/05 at 1:24 pm

Still not heard from my Cousin (my Mother & Father haven't i mean) and one of my Mother's friends was on the Bus that was ripped in two.

She (my mother's friend) is alright, but that is gonna F-UCK you up big time. If a bomb went off 20 yards away from me, not only would i be amazed i was still alive, i don't know if i'd be too keen on leaving the house again for some time.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/08/05 at 3:01 pm

Still not heard from my Cousin (my Mother & Father haven't i mean) and one of my Mother's friends was on the Bus that was ripped in two.

She (my mother's friend) is alright, but that is gonna F-UCK you up big time. If a bomb went off 20 yards away from me, not only would i be amazed i was still alive, i don't know if i'd be too keen on leaving the house again for some time.

My oldest, best friend was in NYC when the towers fell and a week later had a complete nervous
breakdown.  She was fine for a couple of days then she spiraled out of control.  Their are all sorts of
stories like that that don't make the papers the number of people who don't realize the mental scars that
don't show up until later.  None of this is anygood for anyone.  Good luck with your cousin. :(

Written By: philbo on 07/08/05 at 4:22 pm

I myself am sick to death of people politicizing attacks like this. There are no politics, they are simply the acts of insane zealots, who do not want compromise, and will only be happy when the entire world fits their "world view".

Insane?  Possibly.  Misled (to the point of brainwashing and beyond), definitely.  It doesn't make a huge amount of difference what the US and UK do, at this juncture: they're not going to hear any of the good bits, and will believe all the made-up nastiness.  Just look at the ridiculous statement I posted on the first page of this thread, and you realize that these people simply don't know what is going on in the real world, so what actually *is* happening ain't going to change their world view noticeably.  Basically 'cause they're Too ****ing Stupid to use the brain they theoretically have in their heads.

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/08/05 at 4:42 pm

My oldest, best friend was in NYC when the towers fell and a week later had a complete nervous
breakdown.  She was fine for a couple of days then she spiraled out of control.  Their are all sorts of
stories like that that don't make the papers the number of people who don't realize the mental scars that
don't show up until later.  None of this is anygood for anyone.  Good luck with your cousin. :(

Thanks.

I think being a part of anything like that is gonna mess with your mind. Seeing just how vulnerable you actually are.

Check for new replies or respond here...